April 27, 2024, 03:21:41 AM

Author Topic: Brown ready to get back on track  (Read 3044 times)

Offline fLaSh

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Brown ready to get back on track
« on: January 15, 2011, 11:19:51 PM »
Brown ready to get back on track
By Kern De Freitas
Story Created: Jan 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM ECT
Story Updated: Jan 15, 2011 at 10:47 PM ECT

Trinidad and Tobago sprinter Darrel Brown is raring to get back on track for 2011.

The 26-year-old athlete has been under the radar for much of the last two years after picking up an injury at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing, China.

Brown has been regarded as one of T&T's top sprinters over the last decade, but has suffered a number of injury setbacks since his impressive junior career—which saw him set the World Junior 100-metre record of 10.01 seconds at the 2003 World Championships in Paris, where he clinched the silver medal.

Brown has set up his base back in Trinidad since October last year under coach Vern Gambetta and has been focusing on strength training to avoid yet another injury as he targets the 2011 World Championships and charts a course to the 2012 London Olympics.

"Right now I'm feeling like back (to) my old self, I feel young again, like back in 2002," Brown told the media on Friday at the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs on Abercromby Street, Port of Spain, where he was presented with a cheque from the Elite Athletes Assistance Programme (EAAP) by Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Anil Roberts.

This year, in addition to making the World Championships final and improving his personal best of 9.99 seconds, Brown has set the goals of getting up to optimal strength and staying healthy.

"I'm just trying to get my core strong...stable, because that's my main problem," Brown said. "That's why I keep getting injured...(My plan is) mainly just keep on my strength training programme. Once I'm healthy and ready, I'll be good for next year."

Mentally, Brown is doing well too.

"I have a short memory," Brown stated. "So if I get injured like today, and heal, I would just put that behind me and just move forward. Just forget about the past and just look forward."

Minister Roberts handed out the first tranche of cheques to Brown, half-miler Jamaal James, Ainsley Armstrong—father of US-born T&T sprinter Aaron Armstrong—and sailor Andrew Lewis, as assistance to the elite athletes, most of whom are expected to compete at the 2012 Olympics.

Overall, 15 athletes, including T&T Olympic Committee 2010 Sportswoman of the Year Cleopatra Borel-Brown, long jumper Rhonda Watkins, swimmer Christian Homer and Commonwealth Games silver-medallist boxer Tariq Abdul Haqq will benefit from the EAAP.

Track and field athletes Jamaal James and Jessica James and cyclist Adam Alexander received funding specifically for developmental work.

National Association for Athletics Administration president Ephraim Serrette expressed concern recently that athletes, particularly those assisted by the Government, neglected to represent T&T at events like the Pan American Games and last year's Commonwealth Games. Roberts said he had no problems with athletes who miss international events when preparing for big events like Olympic Games.

He reminded the athletes, however, that his Ministry will be looking at those athletes who make it a regular habit of skipping out on competitions rather than lining up to represent Trinidad and Tobago.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brown ready to get back on track
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 01:28:10 AM »
What can Brown do for you?  Good luck Daryl
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 11:25:29 AM »
he is back to take his place
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:30:50 AM »
I would really like to see him come back- he doesn' hav anything to prove and that coach seems to really know hs stuff so looking forward. Richard, Darrel, Marc, Keston, Aaron, Emmanuel are going to have it ot this year hopefully. Really want to see Marc max out his potential! we all now what Richard can do. Just stay healthy and focused!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »
I would really like to see him come back- he doesn' hav anything to prove and that coach seems to really know hs stuff so looking forward. Richard, Darrel, Marc, Keston, Aaron, Emmanuel are going to have it ot this year hopefully. Really want to see Marc max out his potential! we all now what Richard can do. Just stay healthy and focused!
Havent poste on here in months...so got lots to say

You could definitely include Sorrilo to that list. I think this will be his break out year.

Just put it this way. We need one of our guys to leap into that top 10 preferably top 5......Bolt, Gay, Powell, Carter & Dix (Blake?), cause we have UK, USA and FR to give us a fight for a medal. I think RT DB MB all have the potential to be in the top 5.

It looks as if JA is starting to dominate in the mens sprints in the same manner as the womens.

How about our womens 4x100? They have made much progression in the last 3 years. Hopefully they could medal this season.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 09:03:17 AM »
I knew I had forgotten somebody thanks for reminding me. Yes of course how could i forget about Rondell Sorillo after we've seen so much improvement fro him last season on the college circuit! Provided all our guys are healthy i see no way in which UK/FR can challenge us for the bronze medal. Provided all our guys regain their top form i see no reason why we cannot challenge for the silver. Right now Jamaica is out of reach but anything can happen in a final.

The women are looking very promising- If KAB and Semoy are both in shape and we have two other girls running at least 11.2/11.3 we have a good chance of getting a fourth/bronze provided baton passes are on point. I say this and i say it everytime- GB, Belgium, Russia, Germany- with the exception of one or two dont have the pace to match Semoy yet alone Kelly but they always make the final- baton passes are always on point. I dont even bother referring to european champs because there was something evidently wrong with those times or the track was extremely fast as the runners there have not produced that form since. Michelle Lee Ahye if she has recovered from her injury should be running in the 11.2 range possibly quicker and it would be an experoience and a half for her to go to a major such as the World Camionships or even the olympics as part of the relay. If she continues her steady improvement and remains healthy she should be running 11.1s in 2012 and that is more than enough to make the top 3. WOuld be very beneficial to the relay- hpefully Reyare can regain top form completing the line up- Ayanna always disappoints me because she has so much potential but when running outside of trinidad never drops below 11.4s.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 04:52:00 PM by Trini1 »

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 07:03:55 PM »
I taking bets.....DB eh doing shit!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:43:18 PM »

Dat is a safe bet
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 02:34:13 PM »

I feel so too, but ah hope we wrong.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 11:46:25 PM »
Nah keep yuh bet ... I just hope he can come back and compete again.

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 05:48:59 AM »
Gambetta is excellent with strength and injury prevention training. He knows his stuff and recently conducted some tests for our local 'stars' and cruelly exposed our deficiencies. Don't know how fast he will be, but if the previous damage can be eased, he should at least be injury free if he can listen and be smart about his body.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
Swima were those test done for the local swimmers/track stars?

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 08:53:10 AM »
These were for all available local stars. I managed to get one of my swimmers in... A 15 year old who outscored a lot of our big name people. George Bovell though, was actually the most efficient among the scorers, which included local based footballers and cricketers including Dwayne Bravo. I have seen George do a pull-up and then press fully over the pull up bar. At 6'5 and 200, that is absolutely crazy strength. Anil told him he must be the tallest gymnast in the world.
Success will never take you by surprise.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 06:45:00 AM »
Wow sounds amazing!!! I wish you and the swimmers the best- you guys are doing so well! Always represnting us well at the carfita games- im sure you guys won the last 2/3 haven't you? A 15 year old outscored what?!!! that's crazy. George Bovell can do that!!! wow! I hope Michelle Lee Ahye was there she needs to get the correct training to avoid injuries.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 07:40:55 AM »
i swear i read this same article before
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 04:20:56 PM »
i swear i read this same article before

Nah DWH, yuh wrong fuh dat  :devil:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

1]; } ?>