July 27, 2024, 04:45:13 AM

Author Topic: Keane's a bit of an animal, says Carlos  (Read 2865 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Keane's a bit of an animal, says Carlos
« on: March 05, 2010, 08:29:48 AM »
Keane's a bit of an animal, says Carlos
By Elvin King (Green'Un24)

IPSWICH Town's Carlos Edwards today confirmed that manager Roy Keane can be an animal in the dressing room after games.

“But in a nice way,” said the 31-year-old Trinidad and Tobago international.

“If the team has had one and we deserve it then he can be an animal.

“On Saturday after the 0-0 home draw with Bristol City it was his shortest speech.

“The draw was up there with the Watford stalemate as the most frustrating game of the season because of the way we dominated after the interval.

“But when the team performed as it did there was no choice other than to pat the lads on the back and shake the hand of the opposing keeper, who was without doubt man of the match.”

The only back-to-back wins Town have had this season were against QPR in the final match of 2009 and at Blackpool in the FA Cup in the opening game of this year.

Keane takes his side to Bloomfield Road on Saturday, and Edwards knows the importance of three points against the Tangerines with four of the following five games then being at Portman Road.

“I can't explain why we haven't gained back-to-back league wins,” added Edwards. “It's very strange and I've no answer.

“It's something that's been on my mind and I've discussed it with my team-mates.

“And who knows, once we get two league wins on the trot we could go on and put six or seven victories together.

“And that would move us well away from any relegation fears.”

Edwards sees the lack of a regular marksman this season as one of the main reasons for the current lowly league position.

He went on: “The manager may have to go looking for a prolific scorer to improve matters next season.

“We have the talent in the squad but we have not punished teams for their mistakes as they have punished us.

“There is a great playing and coaching staff at the club, and I'm sure we'll finish above the bottom three places.

“But we might have to reflect at the end of the season with some relief on escaping relegation and put right what we did wrong this campaign.”

Being unbeaten for the last 11 home matches should put Town in good heart for their run of games at Portman Road coming up.

But Edwards says that there needs to be an injection of confidence.

“Perhaps from the players, perhaps from at home, perhaps from the staff, but we need a belief that we can go forward.

“Having a run of home games can be a blessing, but without making excuses there are one or two who are maybe a little scared of the spotlight. We have to believe we can do it.”

Meanwhile, striker Kerry Baptiste has returned to Trinidad after a week-long trial with Ipswich. The Joe Public front player is an international team-mate of Carlos Edwards, who said: “I wish him well. It's a shame Ipswich did not get the chance of seeing him in a game, and I don't now if he'll be invited back.”
Star's plea: Get us a goal-scorer, boss
Carl Marston (Green'Un24)

CARLOS Edwards reckons that manager Roy Keane's No. 1 job, for this summer, might be to unearth a new striker.

The marked absence of a regular goalscorer has been Ipswich Town's main downfall this season, leaving them still flirting with the prospect of relegation.

A meagre six goals, achieved by both skipper Jon Walters (including a couple of penalties) and Jon Stead (currently on loan at Coventry), represents the best of Town's individual contributions this term.

Edwards thinks that Keane might have to act during the close-season, to make sure that there is no similar flop in front of goal for next term.

"We haven't had a prolific goalscorer. The leading scorer has just six goals, and that's very unacceptable," insisted Edwards.

"Everyone else is chipping in, but come the off-season, that's something we will have to reflect on.

"Maybe the manager might have to go somewhere, maybe, and get a prolific striker.

"We've got the talent at the moment, but it's just that we haven't managed to punish teams when they make mistakes," added Edwards.

Although Edwards is an out-and-out winger, whose priority is to create goals, he is also conscious of his failings in front of goal.

The 31-year-old, who has clocked up 78 appearances for Trinidad & Tobago, scored goals at a healthy rate earlier in his career.

Not least during the 2006-07 campaign, when he bagged a total of 11 goals for Luton and Sunderland. His five goals for the Black Cats in just four months helped them to win the Championship title.

But Edwards' obsession with trying to regain his scoring touch - he finally netted his first goal for nearly three years with the winner at Sheffield Wednesday last month - has had a detrimental effect on his game.

"Knowing what I'm capable of, it's just so disappointing and frustrating that I haven't been scoring goals," confessed Edwards.

"It was just over two years to get my first goal, and for me and my standards, I think that is very unacceptable.

"I'm always a positive-thinking person, but I think it took away a lot from my football.

"I was concentrating too much on trying to get my first goal, and not concentrating on playing football and helping myself gain the fitness and momentum that I had when I was playing for Sunderland.

"That's done and dusted now, because I've got my first goal and hopefully I can notch a few more during the remaining games of the season.

"I had a little break - Sheffield Wednesday was my first game in just over a month - and I'm now feeling more like the Carlos Edwards that was at Sunderland.

"It's just around the corner, and I hope on Saturday that I can get another start and hopefully punish Blackpool."

Edwards, and his team-mates, have been on the wrong-end of a few ear-bashings from the manager this season, following below-par performances.

But Keane was almost lost for words after last weekend's goalless home draw against Bristol City, when visiting keeper Dean Gerken played a blinder to keep a marauding Town at bay.

"Looking back, it was the manager's shortest speech after a game," revealed Edwards.

"The gaffer is a wonderful lad. He can be an animal, but in a nice way. Obviously he does what any manager can do, voicing his opinion when the team is having a bad day.

"But when you perform like the way we did last Saturday, you have no choice but to put your hands up and pat the lads on the back," concluded Edwards.

Keane's men are at play-off chasing Blackpool tomorrow, hoping to secure a hat-trick of wins over the Seasiders following their FA Cup success at Bloomfield Road and league victory at Portman Road.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Keane's a bit of an animal, says Carlos
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:49:50 AM »

CARLOS Edwards reckons that manager Roy Keane's No. 1 job, for this summer, might be to unearth a new striker.

The marked absence of a regular goalscorer has been Ipswich Town's main downfall this season, leaving them still flirting with the prospect of relegation.

A meagre six goals, achieved by both skipper Jon Walters (including a couple of penalties) and Jon Stead (currently on loan at Coventry), represents the best of Town's individual contributions this term.

Edwards thinks that Keane might have to act during the close-season, to make sure that there is no similar flop in front of goal for next term.

"We haven't had a prolific goalscorer. The leading scorer has just six goals, and that's very unacceptable," insisted Edwards.

"Everyone else is chipping in, but come the off-season, that's something we will have to reflect on.

"Maybe the manager might have to go somewhere, maybe, and get a prolific striker.

Hol on.

Ent Stern at Ipswich?

How Carlos doin Stern like dat?

BERRRIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :devil:
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 10:55:06 AM »

Hol on.

Ent Stern at Ipswich?

Stern at Crystal Palace.. Is Baptiste he trying to chook some fire for.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:29:04 PM »

Hol on.

Ent Stern at Ipswich?

Stern at Crystal Palace.. Is Baptiste he trying to chook some fire for.

Ok...I tort Stern went Ipswich on loan or sumting after not cuttin it at CP.

My bad.  Thanx.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Ipswich axe Roy Keane
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:28:44 AM »
Ipswich Town news Ipswich axe Roy Keane. January 7, 2011
By ESPNsoccernet staff
Roy Keane has been sacked as manager of struggling Championship side Ipswich Town.

Ipswich have lost seven of their last nine league games, prompting owner Marcus Evans to bring an end to Keane's 20-month reign at Portman Road.

First-team coach Ian McParland will take charge for Sunday's FA Cup third-round tie at Chelsea, but former Wigan and Derby County manager Paul Jewell is the early favourite to take control on a permanent basis at Portman Road.

Keane, who won 28 and lost 28 of his 81 games in charge of the Tractor Boys, issued a statement that read: "I'm hugely disappointed to be leaving Portman Road.

"Results haven't been as good as I'd have hoped so far this season and when results aren't good the manager gets the sack, that's the game. However, I have a genuine belief we were making progress and that the players have what it takes to turn this season around.

"We were preparing well for our visit to Chelsea on Sunday and then our Carling Cup semi with Arsenal. Getting to that semi proves what I know the team is capable of.

"I was also working hard to build the squad during the transfer window, looking at our options to attract new players to the club.

"I have loved my time at Ipswich, living locally to the club with my family, and have a massive respect for the club, its staff, the fans and the community and I wish them well.''

Former Manchester United captain Keane spent more than £8 million on players during his time in charge, but failed to turn the Ipswich into promotion contenders and he leaves the club languishing in 19th place.

After a poor campaign last term, Keane started this season well but failed to maintain any kind of form and Monday's 1-0 home defeat to Nottingham Forest appears to have been one defeat too many.

The Irishman guided Sunderland to the Premier League in 2007 but walked away from the club following a tough spell in the English top-flight.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 11:21:14 AM »
Beginning to get the impression that Keane just "doesn't have it"!
At least when it comes to coaching/managing.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »

the man win the English league championship (aka 2nd division) already.. plenty men years into coaching never win nothing
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 01:03:59 PM »

the man win the English league championship (aka 2nd division) already.. plenty men years into coaching never win nothing
True but it seems like he hasn't been able to build on that success.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
Roy's Problem:  His inability to change the course of his teams when they are on a skid.  He has no motivational skills whatsoever.  Look at the trend when his teams start losing.  It seems to be almost bottomless.   Sometimes, you have to mix harsh criticism with a bit of honey, because at the end of the day, footballers are human too.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 01:16:20 AM »
His coaching career continue to go downhill

giggsy11

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »
I think Roy got success early with his anti social managing style and decide he found the key to being a successful manager, so why change? It appears that he has not evolve in his managing style while dealing with players who may not respond to him being 'Roy Keane'. To be successful over a long period of time requires the ability adapt to change and challenges. Uncomprimising player who managed the same way.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »
not bad giggsy...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 07:57:11 AM »
The realization that Keane is really a fraud is beginning to sink in.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 03:39:18 PM »
Tenorsaw and giggsy: Allyuh say it better than I could. Thanks fuh de analyses!! :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

giggsy11

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »

Aloof, intimidating approach doesn't impress players
Keane's dressing room alienation has stifled his managerial career, writes Richard Sadlier
.Independe.UK
By Richard Sadlier

Sunday January 09 2011

After one of my many comeback attempts while in training at Sunderland, the physio called myself and one of the other lads into his office. He had a message from the manager for us both.

We had just completed our first few days of full squad training, and it was the first time Roy Keane had seen us back in action. Eagerly awaiting his input, we were a little surprised with the feedback we were given. The message was simple. "No more f**king leggings at this club. It's no coincidence the lads who wear them are always injured."

It seemed he had focused on our choice of attire and cared little for anything else we had done. That my performance didn't register was understandable. I was there as an unsigned outsider on a personal crusade to defy medical science and prove I could cope with the demands of full training once again. I found it amusing, if anything.

The other player reacted differently. He was club captain at the time and felt he deserved more. Keane made no effort to interact in any way with him and offered no words of encouragement on his return. He hadn't been in management long at the time, but his manner in dealing with players varied little after that.

It may amuse or impress people to learn of such idiosyncrasies, but the view from the dressing room of Keane was often one of bemusement, and frustration. When instruction or direction was needed one day, he opted instead to aim a karate-style kick at the tactics board. During one half-time break when the team was trailing 3-0, his decision to sit arms-folded in a chair in total silence contributed nothing to the chance of an improved second-half performance.

When one player questioned his style of management in public, he fined him heavily straight away. When another showed his disgust at not being included in a practice game, he put him up against the wall in his office and challenged him. "Go on son, be the first to take me on."

Such anecdotes feed into Keane's legend, but the players whose performances would make or break him as a manager remained unimpressed. Managers rely completely on the players' input to survive, or succeed, in their role. Keane never gave the impression he acknowledged this notion, and has paid the ultimate price as a result.

The performance of the majority of players improves if there is a belief they are appreciated by the manager. When he arrived first at Sunderland, the players wondered how they could ever impress a man so frustrated by the limits of some of his former team-mates at Manchester United. Some saw that as a challenge and trained with greater intensity than ever before. Others, reluctant to work under a man so intolerant of imperfections, set their hearts on a move at the earliest opportunity. I have no doubt the dressing room at Ipswich reacted similarly. The Ipswich CEO was diplomatic in his reply to questions about Keane's inability to manage players on a personal level. "Every manager has their own approach." That's true, but very few are as aloof, intimidating and critical.

He's one of seven managers to have lost their jobs since New Year's Day -- 24 have gone since the start of the season. Most have attributed their dismissal to poor results, and Keane did the same. It's as if they see no other measure of their talents. It may be that simple in their eyes, but the complexities of the role can reveal limitations long before a ball is kicked each weekend. For all of his flaws as a manager, I believe it is wrong to say he will struggle to find work again. After all, this is a business in which Steve Staunton can get offered roles, so you would assume he has little to fear there.

He has been roundly criticised for using Ipswich press conferences to voice his feelings on a variety of issues which in no way

relate to his role there. I don't agree with that. Sharing your views on a wide range of topics doesn't get people the sack (okay, except Glenn Hoddle) and in no way reflects on their commitment to their own job. He was sacked because the board at Ipswich no longer believed he could improve their standing as a club. All things considered, it's hard to disagree.

Yet to reveal his immediate plans, it is unclear whether he wishes to pursue his career in management or take an alternative route, even temporarily. However, an interest in developing and nurturing the talents of youth players in academies or analysing games from television studios would seem unlikely. In addition, he will never get work in the FAI as long as his relationship with John Delaney remains as it is, so talk of succeeding Giovanni Trapattoni is ridiculous.

I would be amazed if this is the last we see of him in management, but the standard of club that will approach him may not be of a level he would expect. This is the second job he has left in less than ideal circumstances, so the next role he takes on needs to work out. Even in football management, there's a limit to the amount of times you can fail.

rsadlier@independent.ie

- Richard Sadlie

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 11:24:47 AM by giggsy11 »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 02:16:03 PM »
I thought the man was a no nonsense military style manager.....from that article hes jus a fackin psycho
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>