June 16, 2024, 04:10:04 AM

Author Topic: 2011 CFU Club Championships Thread  (Read 7417 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2011 CFU Club Championships Thread
« on: January 20, 2011, 05:53:57 AM »
Club Championships kicks off in March.
T&T Newsday Reports.

The Caribbean Club Championship, the region’s top football club tournament, will kick off in March 2011 and clubs who are eligible to participate in this year’s contest are invited to submit application forms to the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) through their local Federation offices.

And January 30 is the deadline for clubs to register for the CFU Club Champions Cup. This is the 14th edition of the competition and CFU general secretary Angenie Kanhai is confident that year’s tournament will be exceptional.

“After 14 years, this tournament has grown from strength to strength and I am confident that this year fans will be in for a treat,” she said.

“Club football in the region is developing and this football displayed at this year’s knock-out tournament will be testament to that fact.”

In addition to being crowned the regional club champions, the top three finishers will all automatically qualify to the CONCACAF Champions League.

The draw for all rounds of the CFU Club tournament will take place on February 2.

For the draw, teams will be placed in pools based on their country’s “ranking”, which is based on results of club teams over the past five years.

Each League is given a point for every match won (of the CFU Club Champions Cup) by a team originating from that league. The current rankings of National Leagues are based on results for the period 2006-2010.

CFU president Jack Warner implored his membership to participate in the tournament saying it was one sure way the region would advance its level of football.

“I want to urge all Federations to encourage their top teams participate in the tournament,” said Warner. “Our local teams harness and shape our local talent.

“It is our local league that discovers our talent; these leagues shape our younger players,” Warner continued. “It is a work in progress but through perseverance and commitment we can transform club football in the region.

“Every action creates a domino effect, by investing in our local talent, local leagues and clubs were not only ensuring our younger players receive a chance to play at a higher club level. Incremental steps lead to drastic transformation this tournament provides such a step,” he ended.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 CFU Club Championships Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:10:16 AM »
represent T&T clubs!

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:49:13 PM »
Pro League finishes on Jan 25th, but I seem to recall that one of the 5 T&T places includes the winner of the F.A. Trophy. This match was originally scheduled for 26th Jan, but has been pushed back to 4th Feb....5 days after deadline for registration!

Effectively, if Jabloteh or North East finish 4th in ProLeague and win F.A.Trophy, 5th placed team will qualify. So basically, if both teams finish in top 5, both will go into the CCC. But how they can apply without knowing the result of 4th Feb baffles me! 

Of course, I may have got my facts wrong, but that is my understanding.

The other issue is that teams have to pay their flights to the host country (T&T hosted last year). Accomodation is provided and I believe gate receipts are shared, but I doubt they will cover flight costs. It will be interesting to see which T&T teams apply.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 10:52:40 PM by Football supporter »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 05:41:00 AM »
Public moves into CFU spot.
By: Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Last year’s Digicel Pro League winner, bmobile Joe Public reclaimed second spot with a match left to play in the season after a 3-1 whipping of Police at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva on Saturday night.

Following Caledonia AIA’s 2-1 win over W Connection on Friday night, the Eastern Lions needed a win to reclaim second spot which carries the other Caribbean Football Union Club Championship spot.

Newly crowned league champions, Defence Force which drew 0-0 with San Juan Jabloteh on Friday to cement the title has already secured one of the two qualifying places for the Championship.

At Couva, new Joe Public captain, Trent Noel, who took over the armband from Kerry Baptiste after the latter parted ways with the club earlier in the week, opened the scoring in the tenth minute with a close range effort after Marcus Joseph had his attempt blocked.

Six minutes before the interval Keron Clarke came close to equalising, but his effort smashed onto the crossbar with goalkeeper Marvin Phillips beaten before Hayden Tinto made it 2-0 on the stroke of half-time from long distance.

Sayid Freitas reduced the deficit for Police on the hour mark from a free-kick which deflected off a Joe Public player, however within a minute, national Under-20 striker  Joseph fired in the third item for Joe Public to secure the win.

The three points carried Joe Public 34, one ahead of Caledonia with one match left for each club. In its final match, Joe Public will meet DirecTV North East Stars on Saturday while Caledonia tackles San Juan Jabloteh a day earlier.

Also at Couva on Saturday,  FC South End moved off the bottom of the standings with a 1-0 win against St Ann’s Rangers courtesy of an Adi Constant goal ten minutes from full-time.

The win was only the second of the league campaign for South End, to move to six points, the same as Police but with a better goal-difference.

In the day’s other match, Leslie “Tiger” Fitzpatrick scored twice for Ma Pau in its come-from-behind 3-1 triumph over Stars at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Malabar to jump to fourth on the standings with 29 points.

CURRENT PRO LEAGUE STANDINGS

Teams    P    W    D    L    F    A    Pts
D/Force    17    12    2    3    35    13    38
Joe Public    17    10    4    3    29    21    34
Caledonia    17    10    3    4    27    16    33
Ma Pau    17    8    5    4    24    14    29
W Connection    17    8    4    5    33    13    28
Jabloteh    17    7    6    4    23    11    27
NE Stars    17    7    5    5    28    23    26
Rangers    17    2    4    11    14    33    10
South End    17    2    0    15    10    42    6
Police    17    1    3    13    17    54    6
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 07:13:40 AM »
Pro League finishes on Jan 25th, but I seem to recall that one of the 5 T&T places includes the winner of the F.A. Trophy. This match was originally scheduled for 26th Jan, but has been pushed back to 4th Feb....5 days after deadline for registration!

Effectively, if Jabloteh or North East finish 4th in ProLeague and win F.A.Trophy, 5th placed team will qualify. So basically, if both teams finish in top 5, both will go into the CCC. But how they can apply without knowing the result of 4th Feb baffles me! 

Of course, I may have got my facts wrong, but that is my understanding.

The other issue is that teams have to pay their flights to the host country (T&T hosted last year). Accomodation is provided and I believe gate receipts are shared, but I doubt they will cover flight costs. It will be interesting to see which T&T teams apply.

I think the FA Cup winners vs the runners up in the league will have a playoff and the winner of that game will join the pro league champs. 2 teams will represent T&T.

If this is true, I hope Joe Public get they ass buss, they disgrace us last time, N E Stars, need to sign a few more players if they get a CFU spot, but I know they are more organised that JP.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Champs focus on Concacaf.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »
Champs focus on Concacaf.
By:Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Defence Force head coach Ross Russell says the 2010 Pro League champions will begin to focus on the Caribbean Club Championship in the not too distant future as they intend to go all the way through to the Concacaf Champions’ League.

Russell said the “Teteron Boys” were still in celebratory mood and rightly so, having just copped their second Pro League title and their first since winning it at the inception in 1999.

“But we are going to focus on the CFU and Concacaf tournaments and then we also have the World Military Games in July.

We have a lot to look forward to and we definitely want to continue our winning ways and show we are a force in the region as well,” said Russell who is also the assistant coach with the T&T Under-17 team that is preparing for the Concacaf World Cup qualifiers in Jamaica next month.

He noted that Devorn Jorsling would be missed as he leaves for US club Orlando City and while Defence Force did not have the luxury of buying top players, it was a factor that he has used to the club’s benefit.

“It will be a loss, because prior to this year and the past two seasons, Jorsling has been our leading scorer and it’s hard to replace a player like that. But we have a player in Richard Roy who has been under his wing and now Carter is back so it’s going to be time for Richard to step up.

“We’re unable to really go out and buy players but it’s not a bad thing because it means I had to work with the same players for two years and I had to really coach and build a team with what I had and this is the end result,” Russell added.

“Everyone wrote off the Defence Force for the past ten years and then to come back with a bang, it’s due to a lot of hard work and dedication by the players and the organisation.

Defence Force won the Concacaf Champions Cup in 1978 and 1985 when they also won the T&TFA Cup and National League title.

They are listed by Concacaf as the only club from the Concacaf to win the treble in one season. They have won 21 national league titles dating back to 1972.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »
I think Joe Public didn't cut it ?

Caledonia AIA and Defence Force will represent T&T at this level.

I also remember in the past that the FA Cup winners may also get a chance at the CFU Club Championships but not sure if the rule has changed. ?

P  W  D  L  F  A  Pts
Defence Force  18  13  2  3  38  13  41
Caledonia AIA  18  11  3  4  30  18  36

Joe Public  18  10  5  3  30  22  35
W Connection  18  9  4  5  35  13  31
Ma Pau  18  8  5  5  24  16  29
San Juan Jabloteh  18  7  6  5  25  14  27
North East Stars  18  7  6  5  29  24  27
St Ann's Rangers  18  2  4  12  14  36  10
FC SouthEnd  17  2  0  15  10  42  6
Police FC  17  1  3  13  17  54  6

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »
jack can change the rules anytime, especially if it involves JP. Not saying JP is not a good team. In the past, I think FA trophy winners have participated in the old club tournaments. I can't remember who. I hope to see Cali play. They have their chance now.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 08:10:53 AM »
Its official, JP is out, Cali qualify for the CFU CC' along with DF....

North East Stars spoil JP chance after both teams battled to a 1-1 draw in their final match of the league yesterday.... JP needed a win.

All the focus is left on bmobile Joe Public and Caledonia AIA, as the pair seek a second position finish this season with the chance of making next season’s CONCACAF Champions’ League.

Joe Public, no stranger to the Champions’ League, is in a much better position to secure 2nd ahead of this weekend’s final matchday of the 2010-2011 Digicel Pro League Championship.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 08:44:18 AM »
Its official, JP is out, Cali qualify for the CFU CC' along with DF....

North East Stars spoil JP chance after both teams battled to a 1-1 draw in their final match of the league yesterday.... JP needed a win.

JP must be want tuh dead since is an injury time penalty dat make dem miss out. Unless it was clear cut, dey must be was rell jumbieng de ref.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Intru

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
2011 CFU Club Championship
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 11:58:25 PM »
Well I didn't see a thread just talking about the tournament and I thought I should open one up.

We already now Alpha United of Guyana and Defence Force made it to the semis. Caledonia is down 1-0 in the series against Tempete of Haiti. PR Islanders and  Walking Bout of Suriname don't play their series until May.

I personally think Caledonia will make it out but I also thought it would be a tight series, same with the River Plate PR and Alpha series, I had River Plate winning that one. Now as expected DF made it out very easily and I expect Islanders to do the same. On a side note, Islanders' trini midy Osei Telesford suffered a injury today during the clubs 3-1 victory, so he may be in doubt for the CFU games. To bad too cause he was really on fire this first three games of the season.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 05:24:36 AM »
Caledonia eyes more than victory in Haiti.
By: Shuan Fuentes (TTFF).

Caledonia AIA will be traveling to Port–au-Prince not only in search of victory in their return clash with Tempete FC but will be hoping to touch a piece of history and offer their helpings to the less fortunate on the poverty-stricken country.

This is the intention of the club according to head coach Jamaal Shabazz as his team continues their build up for the return leg of their Caribbean Football Union match on May 9 which Caledonia will aim to overturn the 1-0 defeat suffered last Friday as they attempt to advance to the Championship semi-finals en route to the  CONCACAF Champions League.

“It’s a huge challenge for sure but we have become accustomed to situations like these where our backs are up against the wall.

But for us going to Haiti means more than just going to win or lose a football match Even though we are going for a victory, it’s more about the historical significance where people of our community Morvant/Laventille can go to a country which has shown the ability to rise above tragedies. To me that is the real essence of this trip,” Shabazz said.

The former National Senior Team assistant coach said his club will take the necessary precautions by travelling with its own water supplies and other canned foods but will still embrace their hosts.

“We took care of their expenses in Trinidad and they are also supposed to return the favour. Even in war, I have been taught that you have to eat the food they have prepared. We are confident that the Caribbean spirit that exists between the teams will not be lost here.”

Caledonia will spend an extra day in Haiti and intends to offer some football supplies to those in need.

“We will take some of the excess gears we have and pass it on to the brothers there and try to get a first-hand look at the country.

We are also teaming up with a group that Angus Eve is associated with that provides support to the people in Haiti,” Shabazz said.

Anyone else including supporters who are interested in joining the team in support on the trip can reach the Caledonia management for additional information.

Former LA Galaxy striker Cornell Glen has received the necessary clearance to play in the competition and will travel with the team while Ryan Stewart has responded well to treatment and is likely to feature.

Offline Intru

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »

Islanders that are making the trip to Suriname

Adrian Whitbread, Kevon Villaroel, Osei Telesford, Joseph Salem, Gregory Richardson, Aaron Pitchkolan, Jay Needham, Cody Laurendi, Scott Jones, David Foley, Jonathan Faña, Noah Delgado, Jamie Cunningham, Christian Cotto, Ray Burse, Colin Clarke, Matthew Bouraee y Nicholas Addlery.

Looks like Telesford injury wasn't as bad as we expected.

Offline Intru

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 12:11:42 AM »
Islanders beat WBC 7-0 in the second leg and win on a 8-1 agg., Villaroel play the full 90, while a trini that plays for WBC got red carded for a hand in the box that caused a penalty. The four semifinalist are set and the draw will be done soon.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:20:36 AM by Intru »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 06:51:07 AM »
Islanders beat WBC 7-0 in the second leg and win on a 8-1 agg., Villaroel play the full 90, while a trini that plays for WBC got red carded for a hand in the box that caused a penalty. The four semifinalist are set and the draw will be done soon.

His name is Marlon Filter. I see that they have Mitchel Lynch, another Trini, on their roster.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 05:25:55 AM »
Imagine Tempete FC eh score a single goal on Caledonia and go to de next rounds. Will if you dont count de penalties.

Akil Armstong score de two goals, a own goal in T&T and de winner in Haiti. ...  :devil:

Offline Intru

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 09:37:41 AM »
Defense Force will be facing Tempete and Islanders will face Alpha United in the semis, according to the Islanders twitter feed.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 05:22:25 AM »
Russell: Defence Force hungry for Champions League spot
By Kern De Freitas (Express).

One week from today, T&T Pro League champions Defence Force will get the chance to book their spot in the CONCACAF Champions League for the first time.

The Army/Coast Guard combination were drawn against Haitian club Tempete FC and the teams will do battle in the first Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Club Championship semi-final next Wednesday at Guyana National Stadium from 6 p.m.

The other "semi" will feature Guyanese club Alpha United and Puerto Rico Islanders, who will vie for the other final berth up for grabs from 8 p.m. The final and third place playoff will be two days later.

With only three spots in the Champions League up for grabs, the winners of those matches will automatically qualify for the CONCACAF club tournament, while the losing teams will play for third place and the final available slot.

Defence Force are the only T&T club left in the CFU competition after the other qualifiers, Pro League runners-up Caledonia AIA, were knocked out by Tempete 3-2 via a penalty shootout. Caledonia lost 1-0 at home and reversed that result in Haiti, then lost on penalties.

Defence Force coach Ross Russell admitted that of the remaining teams, the Haiti club might pose the biggest challenge to his squad's ambitions.

"It's a more technical game, because the Haitians are very hard to play against," Russell told the Express yesterday. "We saw them play against 'Cale' (Caledonia).

They are a little bit on the rough side, so we've got our work cut out for us. We know they are going to come (at us) with a lot of heart, seeing that they reached this far."

Defence Force warmed up yesterday with a 1-0 victory against the T&T Under-23 team, with striker Akil Pierre netting the winner.

For much of the last decade, the Army—who won the previous version of the CONCACAF Champions Cup in 1985—have been in the football wilderness.

But in 2009 they claimed the First Citizens Cup and followed that up last season with the League title. Getting to the Champions League would be the perfect next step in their comeback.

"This opportunity I think for our guys is great," Russell pointed out. "(For) the last 11 years we haven't been in the trophy column. Right now we seem to be doing everything right and we're getting there."

Presently, Russell's biggest problem is a selection headache, with most of his players fit and raring to go and enthusiastic about getting a spot on the final 18-man squad. And he is banking on his team's cohesiveness to get them past Tempete.

"I think teamwork (is our biggest strength). Once we stick together and work our butts off I think we'll be alright," he said.

"Right now we want to follow in the footsteps of (T&T clubs) W Connection and Joe Public (who previously competed in the Champions League).

They didn't do as well as the country would have wanted, but I think they represent (Trinidad and Tobago well). Joe Public reached the group stage.

"We're hoping to go a little bit further and we would like to go all the way," said Russell.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:31:55 AM by Flex »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
Army IN
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »
Good Stuff. Thanks Big.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 06:18:37 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6PPoEH8OqMs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6PPoEH8OqMs</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Defence Force wants more than Champions’ League spot
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 03:59:11 PM »
Defence Force wants more than Champions’ League spot
ttproleague.com

Digicel Pro League club Defence Force is fancying its chances of lifting the Caribbean Football Union Club Championship title this week but will need to get past Haitian club Tempête FC in the semi-final round on Wednesday afternoon in Guyana from 6pm.

Defence Force will take on the Haitians in the first of two semi-finals, with defending CFU champion Puerto Rico Islanders against Alpha United from 8pm in the second clash.

And on Friday 27 May, the third place playoff and Final will be played with both finalists and third place winner advancing into next season’s CONCACAF Champions’ League.

“We aim on winning the tournament, not just partake for qualifying into CONCACAF Champions’ League,” said Defence Force head coach Ross Russell.

“Although our main goal is qualifying for the Champions’ League, we want to go a step further and win the CFU Club Championship because we are the only team representing Trinidad and Tobago …so we must represent it proud.”

Defence Force reached the semi-final round in commanding fashion after a less than fashionable start which saw the Soldiers battle to a 1-1 draw on the road to Burmudan side Dandy Town Hornets before they cruised to a 3-0 win at home to complete a 4-1 aggregate triumph in the First Round.

In the Second Round, Guyana’s Milerock proved no match for the Pro League club suffering crushing defeats 4-0 and 3-0 in the home and away aggregate series.

Speaking ahead of Wednesday’s semi-final meeting against the Haitians, Russell said that preparations are been smooth. He also said that his players are sharper and ready for semi-final and Final stage of the tournament in Guyana.

“The guys have been playing together for the past three seasons and they now have the ‘know how’ to go out and win trophies, so I think they are really excited to go out and win the title,” added the Defence Force coach.

“We got a chance to see Tempête play, when they won 1-0 against Caledonia. So we have a fair idea of how they play. I have also done some research by talking to the Caledonia staff and they have been really helpful in telling us certain strategies they used in Haiti to defeat Tempête 1-0. We are working with the advice but we are a team that likes to play our brand of football which we will.

“We will be mindful that the Haitian team is a team to be reckon with because I thought Caledonia would have gone all the way with us. And seeing Caledonia slip out was a loss to us in the CFU tournament because we them to partner us going into the Champions’ League. However we will do our best for Trinidad and Tobago.”

The Pro League club is no stranger to the CFU Club Championship having won the title in 2001, by far a stranger in the CONCACAF Champions’ League having won the title in 1978 and 1985.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2011, 06:42:06 PM »
After 120 mins of scoreless action, Tempete FC defeats Defence Force 4-2 on penalty kicks in the CFU Club Championship semifinal in Guyana. Defence Force can still qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League by winning the third place playoff on Friday.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »
Well, are we still doubting them Haitians? Them guys can play football. But I hoping for DF to go thru. Good luck to DF!!! Keep the flag flying.

Offline Intru

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »
DF goes down in penalties against Tempete; Islanders beat Alpha 3-1 in overtime. May 27 Finals: Tempete vs Islanders 3rd place game: DF vs Alpha

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 04:01:24 PM »
Tempete and PR Islanders Secure In Club Champions Cup Final
Hosts Alpha United to battle Defence Force FC for third place

Georgetown, Guyana: The CFU Club Champions Cup Final kicked off last night at the Providence Stadium in Guyana with Haitian club Tempete taking on stalwart Trinidad & Tobago League champions, Defence Force FC in Semifinal 1. However, with no goals after regular and extra time, Tempete won 4-2 on penalties.

While, in what many considered the feature match of the night, Alpha United, played on home soil against CFU defending champion Puerto Rico Islanders. After regular time, the game was even on one goal each but the players of Islanders seemed to find their second wind in extra time when they scored 2 more goals to send them into the Final tomorrow night.
Tempete flew into Guyana in the early morning of their Semifinal due to flight complications and had little hope of winning against a solid and well trained Defence Force FC. However, the team spirit was not lacking from the Haitians as they attacked from the onset and put the Defence Force under pressure for the 90 mins of regular time. The game then went into extra time however, after two hours of play, a goalless draw was the scoreline.[/b][/u][/color]

Kicks from the penalty would decide the match and Tempete was well placed to and on target for their first four attempts.

Defence Force's first two efforts from Richard Roy and Kerry Joseph were on target but Devin Jordan and Anton Joseph were not so lucky. With two misses on the sheet, and Tempete's fourth penalty in the net, no more shots were necessary. Tempete qualified for the CFU Club Champions Cup Final and as a CFU finalist, is now in the 2011-2012 CONCACAF Champions League.

In the second semifinal match, home team Alpha United was pitted against the Puerto Rico Islanders.

Islanders had arrived in Guyana on Sunday night, after playing a league match on Saturday in the US, in order to acclimatise to the Guyanese weather. This seemed to have worked to their advantage since the Puerto Rican team scored in the 23rd minute, through Dwain Jacobs, to put them in the lead.   

The home team played an unimaginative game in front of their countrymen but managed, through the effort of Matthew Bouraee to equalize in the 37th. The game continued but at a slower pace, after the equalizer and after 90 minutes of play, both teams were on equal footing.

In extra time, the Islanders demonstrated their exceptional training by kicking the tempo up a notch and putting Alpha on its back foot. Dominican Republic national, Jonathan Fana Frias scored in the 18th minute of extra time to give Islanders the lead but it was David Foley's 26th minute of extra time goal which took the match out of Alpha's grasp.

After last nights matches, Islanders and Tempete will now play in the Cup Final at 8pm on Friday night at the Providence stadium while Alpha United and Defence Force battle for 3rd place.

The 1st, 2nd and 3rd place teams of teh CFU Club Champions Cup, automatically qualify to the 2011-12 CONCACAF Champion's League.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2011, 08:06:14 AM »
If Defence Force go through, I hope they recruit some more players.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »
DF's game ended in a tie.
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.