April 28, 2024, 05:50:24 AM

Author Topic: SIA Shocker  (Read 69913 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: SIA Shocker
« Reply #300 on: February 03, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
Me eh saying that the apology worth much but come on now, is really time to address something else.  What is the point?  EVerybody know she screw up and she acknowledge that.  What everybody expecting?  She eh go resign and she shouldn't.  People just need to grow up and move on the to next issue.  This is politics partner.

"Grow up" my ass... hat is precisely what will happen, we will move on to the "next issue", because so far is issue after issue.  This woman get up in Parliament and wave ah setta paper in she hand accusing the PNM of "spying" and say they have the files with the names of prominent people who get spied on.  When called upon to produce the files later on she hush up... is Volney who end up saying they don't have the files because "two Israeli men" break into the building and thief the files.  Up to now we ent hear from Kamla... she send ah lap dog to do tricks fuh de press.

Now comes this... she ridiculed legitimate inquiries into this fiasco.  This is more than just the appointment itself, it raises serious questions about the process and decision-making, the fact that such a sensitive position was filled in such a reckless manner is further cause for concern.  There has to be an explanation as to how and where the process failed, it simply isn't enough to say "a mistake was made" and expect people to move on.  Who was responsible for pushing thru this appointment?  There were so many failures on so many different levels that no one person is at fault here, the entire process broke down.  This wasn't a position for chairman of the Local Fete Organizing Committee... this is "national security" we talking about.  It simply cannot be dismissively swept under the rug... imagine this happening here in the US and how many heads would roll.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 03, 2011, 11:15:17 AM »
It simply cannot be dismissively swept under the rug... imagine this happening here in the US and how many heads would roll.

and dis here is what gettin me, if it did happen some where else dis woulda still be a real hot topic until yuh see ah head roll...not jus an "apology" ...... because yuh done gettin d sense dat dis cloud done start to dissipated a'ready................a feel is because we have such ah lax approach to National Security in d fus place, dat it could enter people mind dat it ok to put ah fren in d bosses chair.........................an people want yuh to let go.....steups
I pity the fool....

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 03, 2011, 01:15:10 PM »
Bottom line is agree with allyuh, but at least lefty say what he want...heads to roll... If it is that someone has to resign so be it but that is politics in general...We know the PM call the shot and she eh resigning and allyuh could talk til allyuh blue in the face, she not going nowhere and she damn right. 

Bakes, you're a strong opposition to the gov't so I understand your perspective....you all but said you grew up in a PNM household, so of course your bias is obvious.  Unfortunately, so did I and I thought the appointment was ridiculous as well.  Once she get catch and she apologized, I moved on and looking for other instances of poor judgement.  For example the 26 yr old gyal that is the minister in the ministry of works, that is BS and b/c she had an engineering degree people just boil down....hey at least Resmi resign...
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 03, 2011, 01:41:10 PM »
Bottom line is agree with allyuh, but at least lefty say what he want...heads to roll... If it is that someone has to resign so be it but that is politics in general...We know the PM call the shot and she eh resigning and allyuh could talk til allyuh blue in the face, she not going nowhere and she damn right. 

Bakes, you're a strong opposition to the gov't so I understand your perspective....you all but said you grew up in a PNM household, so of course your bias is obvious.  Unfortunately, so did I and I thought the appointment was ridiculous as well.  Once she get catch and she apologized, I moved on and looking for other instances of poor judgement.  For example the 26 yr old gyal that is the minister in the ministry of works, that is BS and b/c she had an engineering degree people just boil down....hey at least Resmi resign...

Nah... I not biased.  I disclosed my PNM roots and as I say my sympathies might lean towards the PNM but I not that biased that I can't criticize where criticism is due.  Remember how this government while in Opposition pong PNM on everything from the Summits to the Beetham berm.  I had no issues with either of those, nor did I have much issue with Manning's economic thrust... I liked the idea of 20/20.  The way Manning went about things was wrong and he rightfully paid the price for it.  The PP though eh even giving deyself a chance to govern, all they focus on is looking backwards and pointing fingers at the PNM... and when people call them out they bawling "but wait, PNM did the same".  As much as I disagree on that charge, whether PNM did the same or not isn't the point... PP promise "change".  Ah guess is "change in Jack pocket" is what they did mean.

As fuh de other young gyul... at least she have a degree that she might... emphasis on might, put to good use in Min. of Works.  I was kinda doubting she smarts once ah see she siddung rowing ah boat in 6 inches ah water doh.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 04:19:01 PM by Bakes »

truetrini

« Reply #304 on: February 03, 2011, 02:48:39 PM »
Kamla invoked all kind of race into this issue too...dem is dog.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 03, 2011, 03:49:31 PM »
Kamla invoked all kind of race into this issue too...dem is dog.
Now that is what I'm most concerned about...
Arimian to meh heart

truetrini

« Reply #306 on: February 03, 2011, 03:58:42 PM »
Additionally, when her supporters were shouting "Is we time now,"  not a peep.

Although they can justify dat by saying is dem turn to govern now

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 03, 2011, 04:44:26 PM »
I don't know how much of allyuh following the 1990 inquiry. Is the same non-chalant way of doing things. some people say they heard it thru the pongkin vine that Abu was going to do something. Them say, allyuh jokin, that cyan happen here. Intelligence was a big issue in 1990. Now they doing things vaille-qui-vaille with the national security.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 04, 2011, 06:44:22 AM »
All allyuh good for is tuh nitpick, every little mistake... gih de peope time nuh man... scheups!

so Bakes, was this sarcasm?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

truetrini

« Reply #309 on: February 04, 2011, 08:05:24 AM »
All allyuh good for is tuh nitpick, every little mistake... gih de peope time nuh man... scheups!

nah it was biting wit sprinkled with a tiny bit of humor and liberally doused with what the f**k??
dais my interpretation.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #310 on: February 06, 2011, 07:54:34 AM »
Julie Browne, the deputy spy chief who made the politically explosive recommendation to appoint her very junior technician, Reshmi Usha Ramnarine, 22 rungs up the agency ladder was asked to do so, a source with knowledge of the situation has said.

Sunday Express investigations into the ongoing spy scandal have also revealed that the Ramnarine appointment was not discussed at Cabinet as disclosed by some members of the Kamla Persad-Bissessar government, that Cabinet Note 92 which made the case for Ramnarine's appointment to the top spy post in the country's premier intelligence gathering agency, SSA or Strategic Services Agency, was presented as an ad hoc note to Cabinet and pushed through on the recommendation of the Prime Minister herself.

Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar was not immediately available for comment yesterday but sources familiar with the matter told the Sunday Express that Ramnarine was a political appointee whose credentials were fixed to match the spy chief job specifications. Ramnarine, a Technical Operator 1 in the Security Intelligence Agency (SIA), was secretly appointed to the top spy post on January 14 following the Browne nomination for her accelerated promotion.

She resigned nine days later after a series of Express exclusives revealed that she lied about her academic qualifications and strident public calls for her head and an explanation from the government.

The government got itself embroiled in an angry first response to public criticism, a series of misstatements and, by the Prime Minister's own admission, several missteps. The Prime Minister and her lieutenants in the House consistently defended the Ramnarine appointment before conceding they had erred.

Browne has so far escaped unscathed from the debacle surrounding Ramnarine's falsely-stated credentials which was submitted as an appendix to Cabinet Note 92. Deputy SSA director Browne, who wrote a glowing letter of recommendation for the 31-year-old intercept technician, has failed to respond to repeated calls from this newspaper about the central role she played in getting Ramnarine appointed to the director's chair.

No explanation has been forthcoming for why she went outside of her remit to make the nomination, why she submitted her nomination to the Prime Minister and not her line minister, why she failed to conduct standard security checks or why she permitted an embellished resume to go forward.

Moreover, she is yet to give an account for why her January 10 letter of recommendation sent to the Prime Minister described Ramnarine as a senior member of the agency. Her letter said this: "As a member of a transformation team comprising senior members of the SSA and SIA, who are spearheading the merger of the SSA and SIA, Ms Ramnarine has met the criteria" for the post of interim SSA director.

Ramnarine's CV omits mention of this senior position or the post of acting Chief of Telecom Technology in the Ministry of National Security. In one of the submitted CV's under the heading "Experience", she is listed as a Technical Operator 1 — June 1, 2002 to the present.

In the CV appended to Cabinet Note 92, this experience was changed to read: "Ag Chief of Telecom Technology, Ministry of National Security of Trinidad and Tobago." How or when this Telecom appointment was made is still a mystery.

Browne has not commented on whether she was a willing conspirator to the controversial appointment or why she qualified Ramnarine as a suitable candidate for the sensitive high-level appointment when she knew or ought to have known that Ramnarine had embellished her work experience.

The deputy spy director has been with the shadowy agency for 14 years, according to insiders and were familiar not only with Ramnarine, who joined the SIA in 2002, but also with the laid-down security protocols for thorough background security clearance relating to academic and work experience.

The already existing rigorous vetting process in place, the Sunday Express was told, also look into the character, background and connections of the candidate under consideration. In the Ramnarine case, Browne said: "She has confirmed that she has completed her degree at the University of the West Indies, in Information Technology."

As reported previously by this newspaper, Ramnarine does not have an IT degree from UWI or anywhere else.

Two of the references listed on her resume, Keithan Browne, no relation to Julie Browne, and Sharon Sharma have also denied giving Ramnarine permission to use their names as references.

The first Browne, a senior official with Caricom Implementation Agency for Crime and Security, said she gave Ramnarine authorisation to list her as a reference only for a study-related application to UWI.

She said nobody from the SIA, Ministry of National Security or the National Security Council, of which the Prime Minister is chairman, made a call to her.

Deputy SSA director Browne is among the four references listed in the Ramnarine resume. The other person is Shireen Ali, brand marketing manager at SM Jaleel and Co and close friend of Ramnarine.

Another Ramnarine friend, who spoke to the Sunday Express on condition of anonymity, said Ramnarine spoke about her SIA intercept work relating to the Vindra Naipaul kidnapping.

Ramnarine, a close friend of the Prime Minister's public engagement and policy adviser, Sasha Mohammed, was also identified as one of the sources to a multi-part TV6 expose entitled Spy Games. The series were produced by Mohammed, a former TV6 reporter.

Neither Mohammed nor Ramnarine responded yesterday to requests for a comment. Also, neither answered their phones which went to voicemail.

Sources in the intelligence community said the reported disclosures were in breach of the standard confidentiality contracts signed by all employees of intelligence agencies. Sources also raised concern as to whether there were matters in Ramnarine's personal life that could lead to compromise, including blackmail.

Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar on Friday failed to give a full account of how a junior technician made it to the top director's chair in the country's premier intelligence agency and why nothing worked to protect the State from a potential national security disaster.

She conceded in the House on Friday that "the buck stops" with her and that her government was "human" and liable to make mistakes. She also said: "We will ensure that in all our action, merit trumps political affiliation."

The difficulty with this scripted explanation, however, according to evidence revealed so far by this newspaper, is that the Ramnarine appointment was not a "misstep" but a deliberate act that breached existing security protocols.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/SPY_LIES-115397854.html

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 06, 2011, 08:27:29 AM »
Jah, move on..... ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 06, 2011, 08:31:00 AM »
I think if politicians in general simply start realizing that citizens are exposed to so much more information these days and you cannot risk your goodwill by acting in a matter to errode such will, less of these things will happen.

Is like they still think they oblivious to being made out. What on earth was the PM thinking in even trying to make this appointment.

This is utterly repulsive.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 06, 2011, 09:42:03 AM »

Most here know where I stand where this government is concerned.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 06, 2011, 01:17:13 PM »
OK.  So I just re-read the article and I eh know nah but if I was Julie Browne and I wasn't involved in any of these shenanigans, I would be shouting it from the mountain tops.....her silence is well, rather curious.... :thinking:

I also must commend the Express, the one newspaper that broke this story and kept at it.  Well done Express.... :beermug: :beermug:
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #315 on: February 06, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
OK.  So I just re-read the article and I eh know nah but if I was Julie Browne and I wasn't involved in any of these shenanigans, I would be shouting it from the mountain tops.....her silence is well, rather curious.... :thinking:

I also must commend the Express, the one newspaper that broke this story and kept at it.  Well done Express.... :beermug: :beermug:
Agreed on both points.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 06, 2011, 06:36:21 PM »

She (Browne) need to be evaluated (fired?). She has shown that she can be compromised, with promises or why ever she made the recommendation. Even if she was not enticed into making the recommendation, then her judgement should be called into question, especially for the level of post she holds.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #317 on: February 06, 2011, 10:39:07 PM »
Fixin T&T int pick up this one but we the people should keep up the pressure untill something is done .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 08, 2011, 04:50:59 AM »
Ah know Kamla want we to move on but.......

Rowley calls for criminal probe
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley is calling for a criminal investigation into the Reshmi Ramnarine imbroglio, to determine whether there was a criminal conspiracy in which officers of the State fabricated and embellished the qualifications of Ramnarine and produced that information to the Prime Minister.

Speaking at a news conference at the Opposition Leader's office in Port of Spain yesterday, Rowley also said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar's statement to the country that she did not know Ramnarine is "not a truthful statement".

"It is not correct to say that the Prime Minister did not know Ms Ramnarine before. In fact, the Prime Minister made the most amazing statement. When she was asked whether she was aware that Ms Ramnarine was an employee of the SIA and a low level employee at that. The PM, who as chairman of the NSC, who we now know took the note for Ramnarine's appointment through Cabinet and to the President's House, said she might have been told that Ms Ramnarine worked at the SIA. Those were her words—that she might have been told. So here you are chairing a NSC to make a major appointment like that, and you weren't sure that the lady was there at the SIA, you might have been told so."

Rowley said the whole thing was a conspiracy towards a deliberate end and it therefore warrants further detailed criminal investigation, to allow persons to be forced to speak the truth to an investigating officer. "That is the only way that the truth will be told to the country and the only way we can assure that there would not be a repeat performance," he said.

He said it was the same group of people seeking to hire somebody else "after this sorry record and litany of unanswered questions". He said there was more information available to the PNM at this time, "but there are legal developments and legal implications and we say no more at this time as the matter unfolds".

"I can give you the assurance that it certainly would not be abandoned by 'moving on'. This matter has to be properly addressed by the Government of Trinidad and Tobago. And unfortunately it falls to the Prime Minister to address her personal conduct in the matter," he said.

He added that he raised the issue of blackmail against the irrationality of the Prime Minister's defence and the actions that resulted in this matter turning out to be what it is.

"It is our view, based on information that we have, that there are persons who are in a position to have the Prime Minister do what they want, out of fear of exposure. And the Prime Minister's action in this matter defies logic," he said.

Rowley said the Opposition was also awaiting a definitive statement from Government in respect of the untenable position of Julie Browne, the Deputy Director of the Strategic Services Agency, who "so compromised herself that she cannot be allowed to continue in such a sensitive position".

Noting that Browne's "fabrication" of a CV for Ramnarine included giving her a degree and an acting position at the SIA, Rowley said: "I spoke about a conspiracy and to the extent that Julie Browne allowed her signature to be used in that development. I think the Government is hoping she would not be held accountable. ... It was a case of you scratch my back and I would scratch yours.

"Now that we have seen the recommendation that Julie Browne made to the Prime Minister, we are saying that there is need for a criminal investigation to investigate a criminal conspiracy, where officers of the State fabricated information, produced that information to the Prime Minister, the Prime Minister took it to the Cabinet, we are being told without much discussion, and we are also being told, against the wishes of the Minister of National Security, and the Prime Minister took it to the President's office and a benefit was obtained by someone in the form of a high-paying job at the SIA," Rowley said.

He said the Prime Minister was saying he was talking madness. "but you would recall when I first raised the issue of Ramnarine's hiring, she dismissed the whole imbroglio as a Nancy story .... Now she is saying it is madness".

He also repeated his allegation that SIA files were delivered in Penal on October 17. He asked whether the firing of 27 SIA officers, some of them "the most highly-trained persons in the SIA", was connected to the delivery of these files in Penal.

The Express attempted to get a comment from National Security Minister Brigadier Sandy on the issue of Browne's continued tenure at the SIA. However, we were told through his communications department that he was advised not to speak on the issue by his legal advisers.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Rowley_calls_for_criminal_probe-115533979.html
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 05:00:18 AM by Brownsugar »
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 08, 2011, 05:16:11 AM »
Ah might move on after this one Kamla.....maybe....on a related note, whoever feeding the Express this information eh like what go on here at all, at all.....

Recommending Reshmi

Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley yesterday called for a criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the appointment of Reshmi Ramnarine as Director of the Strategic Services Agency.

Ramnarine, 31, was appointed on January 14 to head the spy agency, but resigned after the Express broke the story of her appointment. Subsequent stories revealed that her resume had been embellished.

Below is the recommendation of Deputy Director of the SSA Julie Browne, which the National Security Council acted on to make Ramnarine's appointment.

Ministry of National Security

Strategic Services Agency

10 January 2011

The Honourable

Kamla Persad-Bissessar, MP

Prime Minister,

Office of the Prime Minister,

13-15 St Clair Avenue,

St Clair

Honourable Prime Minister, after careful consideration of the legal relationship between the Interception of Communications Act, 2010, (Act No. 11 of 2010) and the Strategic Services Agency Act, Chap. 15:06, the present structure of the Strategic Services Agency (SSA) executive (consisting of only two deputy directors) appears restricted due to the expressed legal inhibitions that avert several essential functions delegated solely to the office of the Director of the SSA.

While the two deputy directors can lawfully effect the merger of the Security Intelligence Agency (SIA) with the Strategic Services Agency as an appointed steering committee so authorised, they, acting intra vires, do not have the power to lawfully employ, exercise disciplinary control or terminate appointment of employees, or authorise the interception of communications.

According to section 5(1) of the Strategic Services Agency Act, and also section 5(1) of the Interception of Communications Act, 2010, the functions mentioned therein reside solely with someone lawfully appointed by the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago as the Director of the SSA, pursuant to section 4(1) of the Strategic Services Agency Act. Further, the SSA cannot be established without the appointment of a Director. Section 3(1) of the Strategic Services Agency Act provides that the SSA consists of the Director and the employees of the SSA. Finally, the functions of the SSA are to be exercised by the Director after consultation with the line Minister. Consequently, the functions set out under section 5(1) of the Strategic Services Agency Act, which includes the employment of staff, cannot be performed without the appointment of the Director of the SSA.

Also, the appointment of the Director, who is also one of the "authorised officer" under section 5(1) of the Interception of Communications Act, 2010, will alleviate all the inherent problems currently affecting the SSA; particularly that of its operational portfolio, as set out in section 4(4)(a) of the Strategic Services Agency Act.

The spiralling murder rate requires an immediate initiation and implementation of all the SSA/SIA resources, including the recent legislated capability to intercept communications. At present, the interception of communication by the SSA remains unlawful without the permission of an "authorised officer".

Having regard to the current merger and streamlining process whereby the SIA is being absorbed by the SSA, I strongly recommend an interim Director to the SSA be immediately appointed for a six (6) month period (as allowed by the section 4(2) of the Strategic Services Agency Act) as a temporary measure to oversee the successful execution of the amalgamation and rationalisation of the SIA and SSA subsequent to which, the Government would then appoint a substantive Director to drive the operations of the newly amalgamated intelligence agency.

In light of this, and for expediency, I wish to respectfully submit Ms Reshmi Ramnarine for consideration as the interim Director of SSA for a period of six months in keeping with the section 4(2) of the Strategic Services Agency Act. During this time, I recommend that a suitably qualified person be sourced for permanent appointment as the Director of the SSA post the amalgamation process. Details relative to Ms Ramnarine's certifications and qualifications for this post are attached.

In the context of the prevailing circumstances, it is felt that the position of an interim Director would best be served by the following:

• Someone who has a history in the SIA, and who understands the culture and inner workings of this and similar organisations

• Someone with a proven track record in the field of criminal intelligence

• Someone who is knowledgeable and experienced with respect to the administrative, operational and technological aspects of the Agency's functions

• Someone who, at this time, has the support of staff (senior and junior).

As a member of a transformation team comprising senior members of the SSA and SIA, who are spearheading the merger of the SSA and SIA, Ms Ramnarine has

met these criteria.

Additionally, she has confirmed that she has completed her degree, at the University of the West Indies, in Information Technology and has additional tertiary level qualifications (Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer). Previous performance appraisals recommended her for immediate promotion as she is known to face challenges head on and can effectively manage duties at a higher level.

Her appraisals also described her as dedicated and focused with an appreciation of both the technical and administrative aspects of her work. She also uses her initiative to research and present products and services to enhance the productivity of her department. She has leadership qualities and can be entrusted with greater responsibilities. The latter has been well exhibited in her performance on the transformation team.

These qualities are the foundation upon which Ms Ramnarine is recommended to serve as the interim Director for the specific transitional period. Human resource practice allows for an appropriate combination of training, skills and experience. It should be noted that a university degree is not a perquisite for this office. Indeed the previous Director was not a university graduate. Education, training and experience for the post of the Director of the SSA, as stated on the job description for the position, are determined by the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. It is against this background that I very respectfully submit this recommendation for Ms Ramnarine who was hired by the Security Intelligence Agency on 1 June 2002, after undergoing a six—month selection and interview process. This process incorporates and is not exclusive to background checks and criminal record scrutiny.

Finally, Ms Ramnarine's immediate predecessor at the SSA, Nigel Clement, joined the SIA in June 2002 as the Deputy Director, Operations and Intelligence. At this time he held no Bachelor's degree for a post that explicitly required one. Mr Clement was appointed to act as Director of the SIA in February 2007. He acted in this position until his appointment as the Director of the SSA on 1 April 2010, which was rescinded by the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago in October 2011.

The human resource records at the SIA and the Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard (TTCG) reveal that Nigel Clement was in possession of 5 0' Levels with grades B's and C's. Moreover, the majority of his career was spent as an ordinary naval officer in the TTCG. His experience in the TTCG did not in any way distinguish him for the position to which he was appointed. He possessed no specific training or qualification over and above the average TTCG officer to qualify him for his appointment as Director of the SSA or SIA.

His naval experience could not have assisted with the fulfilment of the mandate of the SSA or the SIA to provide actionable and strategic intelligence to assist in crime fighting and the development of crime fighting strategies. Someone with just a few years experience in the field of intelligence operations will be of far greater value than a Coast Guard Officer who spent most of his working years patrolling the seas.

In March 2009, one month before the submission of the Ross Report on the National Security Sector Review, which initially recommended the merger of SIA and SSA. Nigel Clement sought to qualify himself for the position of Director of the merged entity at the expense of the State. He began pursuit of a Diploma/Masters of Studies in Applied Criminology and Police Management at Wolfson College, Cambridge University, United Kingdom. The approximate cost of the programme is as follows:

Tuition: TT$142,725—£14,000 (£7,000 per academic year)

Travel: TT$351,900—(Business Class airfare to London @ approx. $36,000. And per diem @ approx $22,650 for six, two-week residential sessions over the two year programme).

Total: TT$494,625.

Some cost was borne by SAUTT and some by SIA.

It is unknown at this present time if he has completed same. The foregoing is respectfully submitted for your consideration. Please be assured of my highest consideration.

Respectfully

Julie Browne

Deputy Director, SSA.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Recommending_Reshmi-115534004.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #320 on: February 08, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
Finally, Ms Ramnarine's immediate predecessor at the SSA, Nigel Clement, joined the SIA in June 2002 as the Deputy Director, Operations and Intelligence. At this time he held no Bachelor's degree for a post that explicitly required one. Mr Clement was appointed to act as Director of the SIA in February 2007. He acted in this position until his appointment as the Director of the SSA on 1 April 2010, which was rescinded by the President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago in October 2011.

The human resource records at the SIA and the Trinidad and Tobago Coast Guard (TTCG) reveal that Nigel Clement was in possession of 5 0' Levels with grades B's and C's. Moreover, the majority of his career was spent as an ordinary naval officer in the TTCG. His experience in the TTCG did not in any way distinguish him for the position to which he was appointed. He possessed no specific training or qualification over and above the average TTCG officer to qualify him for his appointment as Director of the SSA or SIA.

His naval experience could not have assisted with the fulfilment of the mandate of the SSA or the SIA to provide actionable and strategic intelligence to assist in crime fighting and the development of crime fighting strategies. Someone with just a few years experience in the field of intelligence operations will be of far greater value than a Coast Guard Officer who spent most of his working years patrolling the seas.

In March 2009, one month before the submission of the Ross Report on the National Security Sector Review, which initially recommended the merger of SIA and SSA. Nigel Clement sought to qualify himself for the position of Director of the merged entity at the expense of the State. He began pursuit of a Diploma/Masters of Studies in Applied Criminology and Police Management at Wolfson College, Cambridge University, United Kingdom. The approximate cost of the programme is as follows:

Tuition: TT$142,725—£14,000 (£7,000 per academic year)

Travel: TT$351,900—(Business Class airfare to London @ approx. $36,000. And per diem @ approx $22,650 for six, two-week residential sessions over the two year programme).

Total: TT$494,625.

Some cost was borne by SAUTT and some by SIA.

It is unknown at this present time if he has completed same. The foregoing is respectfully submitted for your consideration. Please be assured of my highest consideration.

Respectfully

Julie Browne

Deputy Director, SSA.

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Recommending_Reshmi-115534004.html
This whole section sounding like vindictive bacanal that could never conceivably be a part of a letter of recommendation. Trinidad is really a Mickey Mouse country . Julie Browne continues to draw a salary from the State and Reshmi Ramnarine is promptly returned to her substantive post. All this and the Prime Minister says we should move on.

Offline Die_Hard

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 08, 2011, 06:43:50 AM »
It should be noted that a university degree is not a perquisite for this office. Indeed the previous Director was not a university graduate.

Misleading at best...

1.  Nigel Clement has much traing in security and intelligence gathering.  Studied same in Canada as well as the UK.
2.  Has years of experience as advisor/coordinator with State Enterprises.
3.  Has been advising PM's in certainf Ministry as wellas the National Secuirty Council.
4.  Most of the SIA, Sautt and SSA made up of militay and police personnel.  He commanded their respect.
5.  He may not have been better suited than some other Officers, but was infinitely more qualified than Reshmi and Julie combined.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #322 on: February 08, 2011, 06:47:32 AM »
Anil: Nothing more for PM to say
Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Anil__Nothing_more_for_PM_to_say-115533974.html
February 8, 2010

Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar cannot give further explanation on the fiasco surrounding the appointment of former SSA head, Reshmi Ramnarine, because she has already accepted blame and cannot point fingers at anyone else, says government minister Anil Roberts.

Roberts was speaking on the issue at a press conference at the Sports Ministry in Port of Spain yesterday, which he called to reinforce his position on previous allegations he made against Opposition Leader Dr Keith Rowley.

Last Friday in a statement to the Parliament, Persad-Bissessar admitted that Government made a "misstep" with Ramnarine's appointment and said a more rigorous process will be applied to ensure the mistake does not reoccur in future.

"I would like to commend the Prime Minister for having the testicular fortitude to stand up to apologise, explain and ensure that it does not happen again. If other prime ministers, some who sit in the Parliament in the 12th chair, would have taken that approach on a myriad of issues the country may have been in a better position," Roberts said.

"If the former prime minister had apologised and listened to his very close friend now, since they are back on track and hugging up, when he complained in 2003 when he was the Minister of Integrated Planning and Development, and his portfolio was changed because he disagreed with Calder Hart with respect to the Ministry of Legal Affairs towers, if that Prime Minister had listened then we may not have gone through the Tarouba $1 billion, the UDeCOTT fiasco, the Uff Enquiry, the NAPA for $900 million and maybe we would have saved this country billions of dollars."

Roberts said Persad-Bissessar had shown she is human and capable of dealing with the issues.

"I commend the Prime Minister and I understand that she is very serious and we will ensure that we go through a much more rigorous process, whether it is tendering, whether it is procedure, procurement, we will do what is best and I think she has shown that she is human and she has apologised, and I think that the country understands that she has shown great character by humbling herself and apologising.

"We've never seen that in the recent history of Trinidad and Tobago from anybody holding such high office," he said.

Asked if Persad-Bissessar should give a full explanation as to why the misstep happened in the first place, Roberts responded, "I don't think so because it is national security and therefore, from her statement, if she went on to give a further explanation she will be contradicting herself.

"She said the buck stopped with her and therefore the buck stops with her, any explanation further may put the buck or the blame somewhere else.

"She was strong in saying it's her fault, she's sorry, it will not happen again, so therefore any further detail would only go to serve to water down that acceptance of responsibility on the part of the head of the Government, the Prime Minister."

When questioned, Roberts said he was present at the meeting when Cabinet decided to approve the recommendation to appoint Ramnarine as SSA head.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:49:30 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 08, 2011, 11:36:14 AM »
This whole section sounding like vindictive bacanal that could never conceivably be a part of a letter of recommendation. Trinidad is really a Mickey Mouse country . Julie Browne continues to draw a salary from the State and Reshmi Ramnarine is promptly returned to her substantive post. All this and the Prime Minister says we should move on.

Believe it or not I now highlight this same section and coming to post it... same thing I saying, this portion just seems so bizarre, more like a hatchet job, or casting aspersions on the previous regime under which he was appointed... than touting Ms. Ramnarine herself.

Quote from:  Anil Roberts
"I would like to commend the Prime Minister for having the testicular fortitude to stand up to apologise, explain and ensure that it does not happen again. If other prime ministers, some who sit in the Parliament in the 12th chair, would have taken that approach on a myriad of issues the country may have been in a better position," Roberts said.

The impropriety of a Member of Parliament using such language in reference to the Prime Minister (and to the media no less) aside, the fact that she's female makes it even more hilarious.  Besides which... she never apologized and never explained.  He later goes on to say that it is an issue of "National Security" (they learn well from the Bush government) therefore she shouldn't give more details as to what went wrong.  Appointing a supremely unqualified candidate to head up intelligence in TnT doesn't compromise "national security"... but explaining the administrative process of that appointment does?

Laughable.  Times like this I glad I eh living in TnT yes... b/c I would be blue mad knowing is my tax money jumping up.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 08, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »

Believe it or not I now highlight this same section and coming to post it... same thing I saying, this portion just seems so bizarre, more like a hatchet job, or casting aspersions on the previous regime under which he was appointed... than touting Ms. Ramnarine herself.

Quote from:  Anil Roberts

The impropriety of a Member of Parliament using such language in reference to the Prime Minister (and to the media no less) aside, the fact that she's female makes it even more hilarious.  Besides which... she never apologized and never explained.  He later goes on to say that it is an issue of "National Security" (they learn well from the Bush government) therefore she shouldn't give more details as to what went wrong.  Appointing a supremely unqualified candidate to head up intelligence in TnT doesn't compromise "national security"... but explaining the administrative process of that appointment does?

Laughable.  Times like this I glad I eh living in TnT yes... b/c I would be blue mad knowing is my tax money jumping up.

It is indeed a form of disrespect to the Prime Minister, but Kamla has opened up herself (no pun intended) to such attacks. One of the basic tenets of leadership is that everyone must know who the leader is. That is why ministers on both sides of the floor see it fit to  say whatever they want without respect or acknowledgment of the sitting leader.

That is one of the things that made Eric Williams successful and effective as a leader........yes he was probably intellectually ahead of many of his peers, but fellas also knew who the leader was, and most importantly knew the consequences of disrespecting the leader.
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 08, 2011, 06:13:32 PM »
It is indeed a form of disrespect to the Prime Minister, but Kamla has opened up herself (no pun intended) to such attacks. One of the basic tenets of leadership is that everyone must know who the leader is. That is why ministers on both sides of the floor see it fit to  say whatever they want without respect or acknowledgment of the sitting leader.

That is one of the things that made Eric Williams successful and effective as a leader........yes he was probably intellectually ahead of many of his peers, but fellas also knew who the leader was, and most importantly knew the consequences of disrespecting the leader.

Doh get mih wrong... I self call she ah jackass here last week and stand by my comments.  What ah saying is that yuh don't use that kind of language in the media (sexual organs??) to refer to the Prime Minister... especially if you self is a Minister, and particularly since she is female. 

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 08, 2011, 08:14:53 PM »
He wasn't tryin to say anything bad, he probably just thinks that that is an acceptable phrase to use in a formal setting.  Some ppl just don't know how to conduct themselves.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 08, 2011, 08:25:34 PM »
He wasn't tryin to say anything bad, he probably just thinks that that is an acceptable phrase to use in a formal setting.  Some ppl just don't know how to conduct themselves.

Without a doubt Peong... I doh think he meant anything by it, but as yuh say... some people just ent know any better.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #328 on: February 08, 2011, 08:57:22 PM »

Doh get mih wrong... I self call she ah jackass here last week and stand by my comments.  What ah saying is that yuh don't use that kind of language in the media (sexual organs??) to refer to the Prime Minister... especially if you self is a Minister, and particularly since she is female. 
You would think that would be common sense ent ?

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 08, 2011, 09:37:45 PM »

Without a doubt Peong... I doh think he meant anything by it, but as yuh say... some people just ent know any better.

The man come from ah lawyer family, what alyuh telling the man about choice of words or phrase.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

1]; } ?>