March 28, 2024, 06:23:26 PM

Author Topic: Goalkeeper scores from 107 yards  (Read 876 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Goalkeeper scores from 107 yards
« on: January 22, 2011, 01:52:27 PM »

Fans of FC United of Manchester - the breakaway club formed by disgruntled Manchester United fans - have already made a hero out of goalkeeper Sam Ashton.

Ashton was the star during the Northern Premier League side's  FA Cup second round match against League One high-flyers Brighton earlier this season, saving a late penalty to earn his side a replay.

Now, he has gone one better - by scoring an incredible goal from within his own penalty box.

When Ashton's team-mate Scott McManus passed the ball back to him during  a league match against Retford, the keeper nonchalantly smashed a clearance up the pitch.

But to the astonishment of fans and players alike, the ball flew upfield - helped by a strong breeze - and bounced clean over the head of Ashton's opposite number before running in for an outlandish goal that was later measured at 107 yards.

"It was really windy, Scott McManus passed the ball back and I just wanted to get something on it because the pitch was awful," said Ashton.

"Then after I hit it I thought: 'That's going in, that!' Their keeper had come out to clear the ball but it bounced over his head and rolled into the empty net. The lads are telling me it was a fluke but it wasn't - I meant it."

FC United went on to win the match 4-0.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
Re: Goalkeeper scores from 107 yards
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 05:47:48 PM »
supporter.. in modern times,yuh need to furnish a video with a story like this.. :beermug:

ps: video look like it come from somebody iphone...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DGcjDx_uvRo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DGcjDx_uvRo</a>
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Goalkeeper scores from 107 yards
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 10:39:40 PM »
Dawg, despite constant advice from Flex, I still can't figure dat out!!!

Those FC United fans are really passionate about their team. Imagine going from Man U to a team in the 7th tier. But they progressing really well, and I bet they reach League 2 in the next 5-7 years.

1]; } ?>