April 27, 2024, 06:42:46 PM

Author Topic: 1990 Attempted Coup Commission of Enquiry  (Read 25561 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
1990 Attempted Coup Commission of Enquiry
« on: January 26, 2011, 07:32:59 AM »
ANR: Panday wanted to bring down NAR Govt
Jennifer Johnson, Eversley to testify today
Published: Wed, 2011-01-26 01:25
Yvonne Baboolal
In this 1987 photo from Guardian’s archives, then prime minister ANR Robinson shakes hands with Basdeo Panday who was a member of his NAR Cabinet.

Former prime minister and president, Arthur NR Robinson, yesterday told the Commission of Enquiry into the July 1990 attempted coup that a Basdeo Panday-led faction sought to bring down the National Alliance for Reconstruction (NAR) Government. Panday, former prime minister and UNC opposition leader and a member of the NAR Government at the time (a few years before the coup d’etat) went about the country attacking him and his method of governance, Robinson said. He added: “I had information that even in my absence when I was abroad he would use the occasion to attack me in the country. “It appeared that the purpose was to bring down the Government.”

Shortly after the attempted coup, Panday and former prime minister Patrick Manning also mobilised all the support they could to frustrate the Government in all its activities, Robinson added. At the time the PNM was in Opposition having won only three seats to the NAR’s 33 in the 1986 general election. Robinson also recalled that the Government was debating the Anti-Corruption Bill at the time, part of an anti-corruption campaign to expose a train of corrupt activities of the previous PNM regime. He said the PNM had been in power a very long time and supporters had engaged continuously in corruption. He said then national security minister, Selwyn Richardson, was well known for his involvement in the campaign. He said when the Muslimeen members stormed the Red House they shouted aggressively: “Where Sello? Where Robbie?”

Robinson, who was shot by the insurrectionists, told the commission he knew Richardson would have been ill-treated, too, probably even more than he was because of his involvement in the anti-corruption campaign. Robinson, a witness in the inquiry, made the disclosures on the first day of his appearance at the Caribbean Court of Justice on Henry Street, Port-of-Spain. He was brought into the court in a wheelchair around 11 am and testified for nearly two hours. It was upon commission chairman David Simmons’ request for clarification on the political composition of the NAR that Robinson made the revelations about the Panday-led faction.

Asked by Sinanan if he had any disagreements with Panday, he replied yes. The first source of disagreement was the refusal of members of Panday’s party, the United Labour Front, a part of the coalition of parties that made up the NAR, to follow the Westminster system on which the T&T Constitution was formed, Robinson said. “Panday took the opinion that I was imposing rules,” he added. He said one aspect of the Westminster system was to have a body to review, allow or reject contracts in which the Government was to engage. Then works and transport minister John Humphrey said that was delaying his projects and proceeded to award contracts himself, Robinson said. Humphrey also wanted the Government to produce a new form of currency, the Trinity dollar, which they refused to do, Robinson said.

Humphrey went about putting the proposal to the country in speeches, he said. He added: “I had to expel him from the Cabinet. I didn’t know at the time that the Humphrey family and the Panday family were friends. “The Panday faction continued their course of disregard for Cabinet decisions. “They said they were in charge of their own ministries and no one, including the prime minister, should interfere. “They refused to accept the principles of Cabinet governance. I asked the entire Cabinet to resign.” Robinson said he offered them new appointments, thinking they would refuse, and giving them a non-controversial way of getting out. He said they accepted and continued their disruptive conduct and he had to have them expelled. He said they consulted in secret as Club 88 (formed in 1988). Asked by Sinanan if Government members had information about the 1990 insurrection, Robinson replied: “It was never brought to my notice that there was either knowledge or a fear that an insurrection would take place. Told by Sinanan that it was rumoured that members of the Government were aware of a pending insurrection, Robinson said it was not brought to his attention at the time.

Robinson may have to give evidence for two days, to be fixed, to accommodate his medical condition, Simmons said. Jennifer Johnson, a former NAR government minister, and Wendell Eversley, a member of the public gallery on July 27, 1990, who were both held hostage in the Red House during the attempted coup, will give evidence to the commission today.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 1990 Attempted Coup Commission of Enquiry
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 07:34:23 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/01eU82GVNP0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/01eU82GVNP0</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:22:02 AM »
Robbie: I was shot and beaten

Former PM describes hostage ordeal
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

Story Updated: Jan 26, 2011 at 6:51 AM ECT

"The note had only three words, 'I love you'," former president, ANR Robinson, who was Prime Minister at the time of the 1990 coup attempt, recalled in a touching moment yesterday.

In testimony that could only be described as riveting, compelling and at times poignant, Robinson recalled the correspondence he received from his deceased wife, Patricia, during his time in captivity in the Red House, in which she expressed her heartfelt sentiment.

Robinson, who is wheelchair-bound, does not see well and does not hear in the left ear, appeared physically frail, but mentally alert and emotionally strong on the second day of the Commission of Enquiry into the events surrounding the 1990 coup attempt yesterday.

Counsel for the commission, Avory Sinanan, had to sit close to him on his right in order for Robinson to hear the questions. His responses, however, were sharp.

"At one stage I was handed an envelope by one of the Muslimeen who whispered to me, 'From your wife.' I was really surprised at this, because I thought these persons inhuman. But now (at that time) I felt 'well they are human after all,'" he said, laughing softly.

The room grew still, as he said: "I opened the envelope and saw a bit of paper and I read the note. Only three words: 'I love you,' (from) Patricia, who is my wife. And that strengthened me, buoyed my spirits up tremendously.

"Because I did not know what was happening to her or to my children. My son was abroad but my daughter was with my wife."

Robinson vividly remembered how he came to be shot.

"The person, whose name I subsequently found out was Bilaal Abdullah, came to me with his gun and microphone as I lay on the floor and asked whether I would do what I was instructed to do. I said 'yes.' I had just finished reading Vidia Naipaul's Among the Believers, so I had gathered from that book some impression about the character of these Muslim fanatics. That is why I said 'yes'... But I had intended to oppose nevertheless whatever they asked me to do. He then left me and I thought he had gone to consult with Abu Bakr ... He came back with the gun and microphone and holding the gun nearby, put the microphone to my mouth and said 'Will you instruct the Regiment to withdraw their guns because the Government has fallen.' I received that instruction with revulsion. I thought that it was not only impertinent, I thought I could not possibly do anything of the sort and should do just the opposite.

"So I shouted to the Regiment, 'These are murderers and torturers. Attack with full force!' Bilaal Abdullah drew back. He appeared to be in shock. But a young man who was a short distance away fired his gun. I do not know whether he intended it. I don't know whether he intended the direction in which it (the bullet) went. But it passed through my right knee, hitting me on the right side and exiting on the left side. My medical advisers told me that if the bullet had diverted about half an inch differently, I would have died in a short space of time."

Robinson said Canon Knolly Clarke came into the Parliament Chamber during his period of captivity.

"I saw him, I recognised him. He came in, walked straight by me as though he did not recognise me. And I was very saddened by this, that somebody like Canon Knolly Clarke would pass by the Prime Minister and not even recognise him. Or if he did recognise him, not even acknowledge that he had seen him. But I was sure he was in a position to see me."

Robinson said during his captivity he refused water, tea or "anything that had to go into my stomach because I was convinced I would be poisoned by these men".

Robinson said while he lay on the floor there was a young man "with what I recognised as a tall gun, it was higher than he was", who was there apparently to guard him.

"He became defensive and told me 'You all have caused this, you know. Look at what you all have done to the people' and so on. There were two of the Cabinet members who were ladies (Jennifer Johnson and Gloria Henry) laying on the floor close by, who had suffered the same kind of treatment we had suffered. So I pointed at them and said 'Is this what you all do to women?' And he shut up. He never said a word after that."

Robinson recalled being assisted by the Muslimeen "and I think Mr Humphrey" to go to the bathroom during his period of captivity.

He also recalled that when he was released from the Parliament, he was assisted out of the building by a Muslimeen member who "took me on his back".

Robinson said by then the attitude of the Muslimeen had completely changed.

"When they entered the Parliament, they were hurling abuses at me and did not recognise me at all or the position which I held. (In fact, Robinson said, one Muslimeen member had stamped his boot on Robinson's face when they entered the chamber). When they were taking me out of the Parliament, they were referring to me as 'Mr Prime Minister'.

"I attributed it (the change of attitude) to the fact that I had withstood them in such a manner ... I think they began to have respect for me," he said.

Robinson said he did not know during his time in captivity that the television station was also under siege. He also could not say whether his deputy, Winston Dookeran, whom he authorised to lead a negotiation, ever left the chamber.

"I was lying on the floor bleeding and hearing commotion around me so I was not observing Mr Dookeran," he said.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:37:28 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 10:07:14 AM »
Wow........interesting read...especially regarding Panday's utter disregard for the law of the land (as we all now recognize)
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »
allyuh should try to get the clips where Robinson gave testimony. Very heart rendering hearing it directly from his mouth.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:04:39 PM »
Heard Wendell Eversley, the fella who marching up and down the place for the past 20 years to get the commission going, broke down after about 10 mins of testimony and started to cry.  They promptly adjourned until tomorrow......

Wow.  Cyar fathom what he going thru...... :(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 06:30:23 AM »
Trinidad Express

Former hostage breaks down during testimony

Story Updated: Jan 27, 2011 at 12:47 AM ECT

Former hostage Wendell Eversley broke down during testimony, forcing an early adjournment to yesterday's proceedings of the Commission of Enquiry into the events surrounding the 1990 coup attempt.

"You feel you could carry on today, or you want to come back tomorrow?" Commission Chairman Sir David Simmons asked gently, as Eversley began to sob uncontrollably.

Eversley replied that he preferred to come back tomorrow (today).

"I understand this must be very traumatic for you to relive those events," Simmons said, as Eversley was given a glass of water which he drank, his hands trembling as he held the glass.

Eversley, before this, had told the commission that he was seated in the public gallery when the Jamaat-al- Muslimeen stormed the Parliament. The insurgents then allowed all other members of the public gallery to leave, except him. Why? He said he believed it was because he was dressed in jacket and tie and they thought he was someone of significance.

They made him to lie to the ground and he started to cry.

"I recalled saying that I don't think I would see my daughter again. My daughter was just about ten months old," Eversley said.

After lying on the ground for a some time, one of the insurgents told him to get up and he was taken to another room in the Parliament and told to lie there. While he was there, Muslimeen members dressed in black entered the building through the window. They then told Eversley to keep crawling and he was led, still crawling, into another room where more men jumped through a second window. Eversley was then taken to another room which had four persons under a big table. He assumed they were members of the Parliament staff. One of the persons there, a woman, was crying non-stop, her body shaking as she grabbed his hand and Eversley started to pray, he said.

One of the insurgents then told him to get up and open the window or he would kill him. With shots being fired from outside to the inside of the building, a frightened Eversley opened the window. He said four more men entered. By then, remembering it all was too much to bear and Eversley could speak no more.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:37:55 AM by Touches »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 06:31:46 AM »
Trinidad Guardian

Jennifer tells of scary Friday: ANR, Richardson tied together

‘Shoot when lights go off’

Published: Wed, 2011-01-26 21:26

August 1, 1990: Jennifer Johnson leaves the Red House at the end of the five-day seige of Parliament by members of the Jamaat al Muslimeen.

Former Sport and Youth Affairs Minister Jennifer Johnson, was the second high-ranking member of the National Alliance for Reconstruction (NAR) Government to give evidence to the commission of enquiry into the July 27, 1990 attempted coup. Johnson was one of two female ministers held hostage during the six-day siege at the Red House. She was questioned yesterday by lead counsel Avery Sinanan SC on day three of the inquiry taking place at the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), Port-of-Spain. Here is an extract of her testimony. It begins with her description of what was taking place in the House of Representatives after the teabreak, minutes before the Muslimeen entered. She said Minister and MP for Toco-Manzanilla Joseph Toney was contributing to the debate.

Johnson: Well there was a moment of levity because there was just some crosstalk and he (Toney) was asking somebody across the aisle (Oropouche MP Trevor Sudama) ‘Who is your leader?’ and just about that time I heard loud noises and of course there seemed to be a commotion going on and then I heard what sounded like gunshots. At that time we all stood because obviously the gunshots were now in the chamber and I began to smell gunpowder, so I realised that there was an attack of some sort and I looked around  and then when we realised it was an attack. Dr Emmanuel (Hosein, then Health Minister), who sat next to me called my name and he said ‘Jenny get down, get down!’ and I went down.

And then there was shooting. You could actually hear the bullets hitting the wall and people screaming and people running in with these guns and they were shooting. Then I heard ‘Allah Allah; and I realised it was an attack by some Muslim group. So we went down on the ground and the attackers came to where I was and I heard them say firstly ‘Where is Selby (Finance Minister)? We want the IMF man, Where is Richardson (National Security Minister)? Where is Robbie (Prime Minister)?’  And they systematically went for those three persons and while that was happening one (attacker) came to me and started to tie my hands behind my back, which was a very painful kind of experience. It was very painful. They went down the entire length of the Parliament Chamber on our side, the side of the Government, and they did that to everyone that was on my side of the Parliament.

Counsel: Were you able to observe whether any members on the other side were also tied up?

Johnson: Well what I observed was that while all the commotion was going on and people were scurrying around and screaming that representative Leo des Vignes was still standing and I was thinking why doesn’t he go down and as I looked again he was down, he was bleeding, that’s what I saw on that side. I didn’t at that time pay much attention to the other side but subsequently I looked and realised that the same things that they were doing on our side of the aisle they were doing on the other side. Mr  Richardson and Mr Robinson, they were taken down to the front and they were bound together, I saw that, they tied them together.

Counsel: At that point in time when they were moved, was any of them subjected to any violence?

Johnson: I couldn’t see. I can’t say that at that particular time.

Counsel: So you were telling us that the person ... (Bilal Abdullah) he had indicated to Mr Robinson that he must call the troops off?

Johnson: Yes

Counsel: What happened after that?

Johnson: Mr Robinson objected. He said no that you all are murderers and traitors and ‘I would do no such thing’ and ‘Attack with full force.’ And as soon as he said that I heard shots .

Counsel: Was he speaking into a microphone or some sort of telephonic device?

Johnson: I don’t know. I subsequently learned that he was given some equipment.

Counsel: What happen when Mr Robinson said this?

Johnson: After those defiant statements by Mr Robinson as I said I could remember thinking, speaking to myself. Now we are dead, I told myself. Then suddenly I heard shots. I think I heard more than one and we were all startled and then we heard Mr Robinson groaning, moaning, he was obviously hurt and Mr Dookeran at that point said, ‘We don’t want any bloodshed, let us negotiate.’

Counsel: Who was Mr Dookeran speaking to at that time?

Johnson: Well, I am not sure who he was talking to but those were his words. I think that the negotiations started from that point.

Counsel: While Mr Robinson was groaning, as you say, did the attackers do anything to stop him groaning?

Johnson: Yes, I don’t know the sequence but at some point after that they gagged him because Dr Emmanuel (Hosein) and I were whispering at that time, when we heard him moaning and Dr Emmanuel Hosein was very concerned and I think at that time he was gagged.

Counsel: Was the gag subsequently removed?

Johnson: Yes, I think that Dr Emmanuel Hosein — the doctor in him came out — and he shouted that if you do not remove that gag he is going to die and that you must remove that gag, you must allow him to breathe.
Even though we were captive still and on the ground he was very insistent that the gag be removed.

Counsel: Was it at that point you became aware or informed that Mr Robinson had been shot?

Johnson: Well, nobody came and told us that he was shot. We heard the gunshots and we heard him moaning and we realised that he was shot. Nobody told us.

Counsel: Now you expressed the view, Mrs Johnson, that you formed the impression that the rebels as you call them were well trained. You recall saying that?

Johnson: Yes, yes.

Counsel: Exactly what do you mean by that?

Johnson: Yes, because they seem to be moving with a sort of precision. They seemed to have pre-planned their operation.

Counsel: Their methodology, did it suggest to you that they were militarily trained?

Johnson: I don’t know, I can’t say that. All I can say is that their operation was planned and they knew exactly what they were going to be doing from one stage to the next.

Counsel: As far as you are aware, you did not know the full complement of the persons who were going to negotiate but you recall Mr Dookeran and Mr Toney, is that correct?

Johnson: Yes, and Mr Richardson eventually joined in.

Counsel: Perhaps you could share with the commission what the rest of that night was like?

Johnson: The rest of that night... It’s very difficult to go it over but I’ll do my best.
The rest of that night consisted of constant shelling from outside. We were afraid that somehow this shelling, the gunshots would eventually reach to us but as I said before we were down under our seats and we heard as part of the negotiations that Canon Knolly Clarke would come to assist with the negotiations. I heard that and I heard the loudest noise I have ever heard in my life at one end of the Red House. We heard that there was a fire so that was very very disconcerting and I remember thinking well if there is a fire in this building pretty soon the fire would take us all. That was a very scary time, very frightening part of the event.

We were lined up and I heard someone speaking. He was giving orders. He told the persons who he was giving the order that ‘You have this gun and these people are lined up here’ and each of the rebels had a gun and was responsible for the persons lined up. And the persons lined up were only the Government ministers and he told them (the person was Bilal Abdullah ) he said, ‘Listen we understand what is going on outside that there would be an attempt to invade the Parliament. ‘If the Parliament is invaded, I understand also that the signal would be the turning off of the lights,’ so he ordered them ‘As soon as the lights go off mark your target right now and  as soon as the lights go off shoot.’ So that was one very, very scary time.

Counsel: Did the lights ever go off?

Johnson:  No. Thank God the lights never went off.

Counsel: Did you form the impression, Mrs Johnson, that Bilal Abdullah was in communication with the security forces outside?

Johnson: Yes he was in communication with somebody outside, somebody outside.

Counsel: Around what time was that?

Johnson: That was late, that would have been in the morning, the early hours of the morning (Saturday).

Counsel: Were you and your colleagues subsequently removed?

Johnson: Yes, after a while. We remained in that position for a while, and I think perhaps they got word that whatever tactics were to be deployed would not be deployed again so we were returned to original positions and also that evening I think what brought us a little  comfort (was) the negotiator Canon Knolly Clarke came in.

Counsel: At what point did he come in, at what time, would it have been the very Friday night or would it have been the following morning?

Johnson:  I think he came in late - maybe the morning period, yes.

Counsel: So that would be Saturday morning?

Johnson: Yes.

Counsel: Can you tell us what happened after that.

Johnson: I think the negotiations stepped up because Dr Hosein realised that if the persons who are injured did not get attention, they would perhaps die. So I think Dr Hosein was the person, apart from the prime minister, who really really stepped up and was a hero in that situation. So he was concerned about the negotiations stepped up, he was concerned that Mr Des Vignes was perhaps losing blood or consciousness, so part of the negotiations was to get assistance for Mr Des Vignes and also for Mr Robinson.

Counsel: So as a result of Dr Hosein’s efforts to step up the negotiations and people needing attention and so on, did that bear fruit?

Johnson: Yes it did bear fruit because the morning we understood that they agreed to let Minister Dookeran go out and they agreed to let Mr Des Vignes go out and they agreed also to get some medication for Mr Robinson’s eyes. That was the original agreement because Mr Robinson suffers from glaucoma and Dr Hosein was quite sure that if he was not treated he would become blind. And they agreed to get the medication because very early in the morning the medication came. Because I remember them asking me to put it in his eyes. There was a curtain, they put up a piece of black cloth  to darken the area and put it in his eyes so that I know that negotiations along those lines were going on.

Counsel: Did you ever get the sense that your captors felt that these negotiations were not bearing fruit, not going as they wanted it to go and they were preparing to take some other kind of action?

Johnson: Yes, particularly in the latter stages of negotiations when Mr Richardson was negotiating how they would come out of the Parliament. You know, that took some time and there seemed to be some frustration as to that.

Counsel: And how did this frustration manifest itself?

Johnson: Well I think mostly it was the frustration with my colleagues and myself. We were a bit frustrated and we could see a bit of nervousness among the rebels. And there was one incident that at least got me a little bit alarmed. One of their rebels — a fairly young man — he just lost it, he just went berserk.

Counsel: On what day was that, do you recall?

Johnson: That would have been more like maybe late Monday when it was agreed — when the negotiations had reached a particular phase and they were negotiating the terms of surrender. And this young man just went berserk and he had a gun in his hand and his fellow rebels had to tie him up and restrain him and again Dr Hosein stepped in and said you have to get some kind of medication for him (rebel) and all that caused a bit of nervousness. Eventually he was tied up  really, really tied up in a strange way and they eventually got the medication for him and Dr Emmanuel (Hosein) went to administer the medication and he (rebel) was able to lunge at Dr Hosein and send Dr Hosein skating down the corridor and Dr Hosein got up and tried again and eventually the medication was administered. So that was a kind of nervousness and because of that we were very uneasy at that time.

Counsel: Did you have any input into the negotiations at all?

Johnson: No.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:38:17 AM by Touches »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:36:41 AM »
Trinidad Express

Sentry at HQ 'did not stand a chance'

Story Updated: Jan 25, 2011 at 11:56 PM ECT

Solomon McCleod, the policeman on duty at the northern entrance of Police Headquarters who was the first casualty in the 1990 coup attempt, did not have "a ghost of a chance", former assistant solicitor general, Lynette Stephenson, who witnessed his murder, told the Commission of Enquiry into the events surrounding the coup 1990 attempt yesterday.

"A young black man with a brown paper bag in his hand, went to the policeman...and appeared to be asking directions. The police stepped out of the archway and raised his hand, pointing in the vicinity of Sacred Heart when the man pulled a gun out of the bag and shot him. The policeman clutched his chest with his left hand and started falling backward. The young man continued shooting, firing eight to nine shots, before firing the last one into the air," Stephenson, who saw the incident from her building, which housed the Civil Law Department of the Attorney General at 28 St Vincent Street, testified.

Stephenson, who is now Ombudsman, said, almost immediately, a green station wagon pulled up into the entrance and drove over the policeman. As Stephenson ran to her office she heard a loud explosion and gun fire. She ran back to the conference room and saw the vehicle had exploded. The policeman was on fire, she said.

"I thought it was a jail break, that prisoners had escaped from the court," she said.

As she saw men coming down Knox Street firing their guns, she realised "something was radically wrong". She then heard fire engines coming down St Vincent Street.

"I realised that the men ... started to fire shots at the fire engines."

She said the fire engines, instead of coming further down St Vincent Street, reversed up the street.

By then, Stephenson was really afraid and hid in the washroom of her office until there was a lull in the gun fire. When she left the washroom she saw men entering the Red House. She thought of calling the Solicitor General, whose office was in the Red House, to tell her about the gunfire.

"But some instinct told me 'do not use the phone,'" she said, saying she feared that the lines were being monitored.

Stephenson crept down the stairs, opened the door and headed for her car. There was no sentry on duty in her building. In fact she was the only one there. She had given the sentry permission to leave early because there was a football match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium he wanted to attend.

"That probably saved his life," she noted.

Stephenson got to her car and sought a way out, soon realising that "the only thing to do was to drive up St Vincent Street against the flow of traffic". She could see McCleod burning.

"He was on fire," she said.

It had all happened in less than half an hour, she said.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 09:14:42 AM »
http://www.talkcity91fm.com/

ANR Robinson is being question right now .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 11:45:54 AM »
Any more cut n paste 'testimony' on this?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 06:43:08 PM »
Official website: http://www.1990coe.org/
Transcript of the proceedings: http://www.1990coe.org/proceedings.html
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 01:59:55 AM »
So guys from what robbie saying so far does any of you feel Patrick Manning or maybe the man with the beret John Humphre or Bas or Dooks  had something to do with the attempted coup in 1990 .

« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 11:29:57 AM by zuluwarrior »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
<a href="http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_947of1j1/uiconf_id/1892491" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_947of1j1/uiconf_id/1892491</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

truetrini

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2011, 01:14:23 PM »
seems li Dookeran had Prime Misterial ambitions way back den and was hoping he woulda really come PM after the attempted Coup.

Seems like de UNC was complicit with the Jamaat.

Appears dat manning had some knowledge dat something was brewing.

well it seems so fro,m ANR's testimony, at least he ahd dm feelings anyway.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 03:46:06 PM »
<a href="http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_947of1j1/uiconf_id/1892491" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_947of1j1/uiconf_id/1892491</a>

Thanks for the vid...  Robbie sounding like he had a stroke or something, voice strong in parts, frail in parts.  The country needs this open inquiry... but frankly is more like putting vaseline on a scar... just to make it disappear faster.  There's really nothing to come from this.. Abu Bakr that crimnal get off and thumbing he nose at the people of Trinidad.

Kamau/l Georges really say "re-eye-terated"?? steups.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 11:51:57 PM »
I was hearing the inquire would be finishing on the 4th Feb is that true ? and what day is Abu Barkaa testifying

any body know.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 06:16:02 AM »
A big coup joke

Former National Alliance for Reconstruction MP Rawle Raphael was warned by a member of the Jamaat-al-Muslimeen three times before the attempted coup, that the Muslimeen were planning armed insurrection.

The Muslimeen member (whom, under questioning, Raphael later conceded was Lance Small) also told Raphael that the Muslimeen would target the Parliament and warned him against going to Parliament on the morning of July 27.

However, Raphael did not heed the warnings, thinking to himself, 'not in Trinidad'.

Raphael said the Muslimeen man was then a member of the NAR's A Team, a body established by the party which functioned like a community group. Raphael, who was the chairman of the A Team, yesterday told the Commission of Enquiry into the events surrounding the 1990 coup attempt: "But none of us took it seriously. I advised certain members (of the A Team) to go and report it to the Minister of National Security." Asked by counsel for the commission, Avory Sinanan SC, whether as chairman of the A team, a Parliamentarian, he did not think it prudent to go to the National Security Minister himself or to the police, Raphael replied: "I believed it was a big rumour and big joke. I never imagined something like that could happen (in Trinidad)."

Raphael said the A Team member (whom he later identified as Dennis Cumo) told him he had indeed reported the threat to the National Security Minister Selwyn Richardson, as well as the then Prime Minister (ANR Robinson).

Raphael, a parliamentary secretary in the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Enterprise, saw the same Muslimeen man (Small, who wanted a licence to import salt meat) at the Riverside Plaza office shortly before the coup attempt. The man again told him there was going to be an armed insurrection, but he (Raphael) thought it was inconceivable.

On the morning of July 27, 1990, when the man came to collect his licence at the ministry, he advised Raphael not to attend Parliament on that day "because there was going to be trouble down there". Raphael said he did not doubt the Muslimeen man's credibility, but again he did not take his advice seriously. He went to Parliament and found himself among the hostages.

It was the chairman of the Commission, Sir David Simmons, who asked whether the man's name was Lance Small, because Raphael at first said he could not remember the person.

"It was a Muslimeen guy from Belmont," he said.

But when asked if it was Lance Small, Raphael said, that name sounded "familiar. That seems to be the person".

Asked by Sinanan whether at any time after the storming of the Parliament and being taken hostage, he felt that he should have taken the warnings about a planned insurrection, more seriously, Raphael said: "Not at that time. I was thinking about death."

Despite all this, however, Raphael feels that he should receive compensation for his "suffering". Three million is a "reasonable figure", though "they could increase it if they so desire", he said.

However, Raphael, in recounting what happened during the days of captivity, seemed to be either highly amused by what transpired in the Red House, or to have adopted the approach of using comedy as a defence mechanism against stress.

In recalling how the hostages were tied up, he said: "They said 'this man (Emanuel Hosein) have an iron foot, they say tie him up too, (like the other hostages),'" Raphael said, chuckling heartily.

"One time they said we were getting food. So the permanent secretary, Mr Fernandes, who was there, said (to Raphael) 'take mine'. So I said (to myself) I would getting two (meals). But nothing came," Raphael said, laughing uncontrollably.

"What about Mr Robinson and Mr Richardson, did you observe anything in connection with them?" Sinanan asked, with a stoic expression. This recollection provoked even more laughter from Raphael.

"I never hear a man bawl so yet," he said, giggling as he referred to Richardson.

"They hit him 'wha-tap' with the gun. That man bawl too bad. And this man (Richardson) was such a nice man. Afterwards he say the Muslimeen guy...who hit him...is a fella from Mayaro," Raphael stated, in stitches by this time.

"We can laugh at this now, Mr Raphael, but at the time it was a serious thing that was happening," Sinanan commented,

"What happened with respect to Mr Robinson?" Sinanan inquired.

"Well, they brought Mr Robinson down next to me and ... like they pull down his pants," Raphael said, laughing again.

Raphael recalled that he had told the Muslimeen gunmen that he wanted to go home to feed his pups. He said after he was released from the Red House he was put up at the Hilton.

"I didn't want to leave (the Hilton). They had to put me out," he said.

Asked by Sinanan if the feeding of his pups was no longer a pressing issue by the time he got to the Hilton, Raphael said with a smile: "(There was) ham, lamb and jam in the (Hilton) room."

As he laughed during his testimony, his listeners, who had seen previous witnesses looking traumatised as they recounted the same event, were surprised. But Raphael's laughter was sometimes infectious. He had the room in stitches when he described how the "hungry" Muslimeen gunmen "tore up" a chicken in the fridge in the Parliament.

One of the serious moments, however, was when he said Leo Des Vignes, who was shot in his leg, was next to him. He said Des Vignes told him that he knew he was going to die and said to him: "Tell my wife and children, I love them."
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 08:38:27 AM »
I guess people really do handle stress differently....but at least he stopped laughing when talking about Leo Des Vignes
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 09:38:38 AM »
"They hit him 'wha-tap' with the gun. That man bawl too bad. And this man (Richardson) was such a nice man. Afterwards he say the Muslimeen guy...who hit him...is a fella from Mayaro," Raphael stated, in stitches by this time.

He thought he was in a rumshop liming or what?

Video

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 10:51:44 AM »
I guess people really do handle stress differently....but at least he stopped laughing when talking about Leo Des Vignes

true
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

truetrini

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 04:51:52 PM »

true
sammy..is dat you?  YUH RE-EMERGE LIKE AH NINJA.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 10:09:20 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl:I love this place

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
'Strange absences'
...Ex-UNC MP questions politicians missing during coup attempt: Bas, Nizam, Manning
By by Ria Taitt Political Editor

Story Created: Feb 2, 2011 at 12:02 AM ECT

(Story Updated: Feb 2, 2011 at 12:02 AM ECT )

Former United National Congress MP Raymond Palackdharrysingh said yesterday he found it strange that his former leader Basdeo Panday, House Speaker Nizam Mohammed and former Opposition Leader Patrick Manning, were absent from the Red House during the 1990 coup attempt, and wondered whether these notable absences were the result of a tip-off.

Palackdharrysingh said he began to reach this conclusion when he heard that Panday had said, "Wake me up when it is all over." He said he was "disillusioned" by Panday's response, but has never discussed it with him.

"The Speaker is the one who controls the House and his (Mohammed's) absence at the time of the insurrection has to really jog your thinking," Palackdharrysingh said.

"I do not want to make a connection to say it is, because they (the Jamaat-al-Muslimeen and Mohammed) belong to the same faith. But it seems that the thought must enter the mind."

He said Panday and Manning should have been in the chamber given the significance of the debate, and particularly Manning, because the allegations in the Tesoro debate were being made against his colleagues.

"I find it very unusual that not only were the Parliamentarians, like Manning and Panday, absent, but also the Speaker of the House," he said.

He said when the Muslimeen gunmen stormed the chamber, they asked for Basdeo Panday, George Weekes and Muriel Donawa-McDavidson.

"They said, 'Find these people and give them safe passage out of there,'" he recalled.

However, Palackdharrysingh defended former MP John Humphrey, who was the one to suggest to the Muslimeen insurgents that they should get the amnesty in writing.

Palackdharrysingh recalled: "When Canon Knolly Clarke said, 'I have an amnesty,' Humphrey asked: 'Is that in writing?' The effect was that we were not allowed to leave the chamber until it was signed."

He said he did not know what motivated Humphrey to make this intervention. However, he said based on his long association with Humphrey, he (Humphrey) had an absolute passion for fairness.

"In that passion, he sometimes does not look at the consequences of what might happen. So therefore I would think that he was well-meaning and wanted a record of the agreement."

He added that Humphrey was one of the most humane persons. He conceded, however, that other MPs were "very perturbed" by Humphrey's statement because they thought it was "highly sensitive".

"For myself, I took it in good stride," Palackdharrysingh said.

He recalled earlier that it was through the "ingenuity" of Humphrey that the hostages got water. He said Humphrey crawled on his belly and went to another room, with the permission of the Muslimeen, and brought water to the chamber.

Palackdharrysingh said the two doctors in the chamber (Emmanuel Hosein and Anslem St George) advised the hostages that they could survive the no-food syndrome, but that they needed water.

The doctors therefore advised hostages to drink as much water as they could. When the hostages asked them about the problem of urination, the doctors said it was better that they urinate on themselves (than not drink water).

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 08:15:26 AM »
He said when the Muslimeen gunmen stormed the chamber, they asked for Basdeo Panday, George Weekes and Muriel Donawa-McDavidson.

"They said, 'Find these people and give them safe passage out of there,'" he recalled.

??? what was that about?....especially the last two names?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 08:59:27 AM »
Hosein testifing

He say Humphrey say Robbie 2 b leader because d country was not ready 4 ah Indian leader.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 09:01:47 AM »
All yuh remember d TRINITY DOLLAR?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 12:30:35 PM »
The first part of the hearing has been adjourned , will resume 21st March 2011 .

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 06:58:28 AM »
Trinidad Express

Sentry at HQ 'did not stand a chance'

Story Updated: Jan 25, 2011 at 11:56 PM ECT

Solomon McCleod, the policeman on duty at the northern entrance of Police Headquarters who was the first casualty in the 1990 coup attempt, did not have "a ghost of a chance", former assistant solicitor general, Lynette Stephenson, who witnessed his murder, told the Commission of Enquiry into the events surrounding the coup 1990 attempt yesterday.

"A young black man with a brown paper bag in his hand, went to the policeman...and appeared to be asking directions. The police stepped out of the archway and raised his hand, pointing in the vicinity of Sacred Heart when the man pulled a gun out of the bag and shot him. The policeman clutched his chest with his left hand and started falling backward. The young man continued shooting, firing eight to nine shots, before firing the last one into the air," Stephenson, who saw the incident from her building, which housed the Civil Law Department of the Attorney General at 28 St Vincent Street, testified.

Stephenson, who is now Ombudsman, said, almost immediately, a green station wagon pulled up into the entrance and drove over the policeman. As Stephenson ran to her office she heard a loud explosion and gun fire. She ran back to the conference room and saw the vehicle had exploded. The policeman was on fire, she said.

"I thought it was a jail break, that prisoners had escaped from the court," she said.

As she saw men coming down Knox Street firing their guns, she realised "something was radically wrong". She then heard fire engines coming down St Vincent Street.

"I realised that the men ... started to fire shots at the fire engines."

She said the fire engines, instead of coming further down St Vincent Street, reversed up the street.

By then, Stephenson was really afraid and hid in the washroom of her office until there was a lull in the gun fire. When she left the washroom she saw men entering the Red House. She thought of calling the Solicitor General, whose office was in the Red House, to tell her about the gunfire.

"But some instinct told me 'do not use the phone,'" she said, saying she feared that the lines were being monitored.

Stephenson crept down the stairs, opened the door and headed for her car. There was no sentry on duty in her building. In fact she was the only one there. She had given the sentry permission to leave early because there was a football match at the Hasely Crawford Stadium he wanted to attend.

"That probably saved his life," she noted.

Stephenson got to her car and sought a way out, soon realising that "the only thing to do was to drive up St Vincent Street against the flow of traffic". She could see McCleod burning.

"He was on fire," she said.

It had all happened in less than half an hour, she said.

While you can never know how individuals will react in such a situation, several things have come to light from the hearings:

1.   A lot of good people (including laypeople) stood by and did nothing when the nation needed them. Many others rose to the challenge (some sacrificing their lives like the police sentry) and still to this day, do not get the recognition they deserve.

2.   While Robinson had to undertake the economic measures he took to save the nation, he was obviously woefully out of touch with what was happening to the masses on the ground (which is death for any politician btw). Hence also the reaction by the police ("where we 10% and COLA").

3.   I also find it interesting we talk around it, but nobody takes Panday, Manning (and Ramesh) to task for their notable absences.  Again, when the nation needed them to stand up and lead...they were nowhere to be found. But it is clear that they somehow had foreknowledge or had a part in the proceedings (which is treason BTW).

I also hear a lot of people saying "waste of time inquiry" but the facts still need to come out. National pride in deed (and not just word) has gone out the window, and that is why T&T is where it is today. We does only talk "I iz a Trini" and sing Benjai song with ah glass in we hand......but when shot firing it is a different story.

That I think is the most obvious lesson from the inquiry that many people don't want to face
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
Comedy and shame at the commission
By Raffique Shah

Story Created: Feb 5, 2011 at 11:51 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Feb 5, 2011 at 11:51 PM ECT )

AS proceedings of the Commission of Enquiry into the 1990 attempted coup wax warmer from day to day, I cannot help but feel a sense of shame. I am shamed by the political manure that is unearthed, by the stench that emanates from the mouths of politicians past and present. Indeed, I sense the discomfort, the bemusement, of chairman Sir David Simmons and his commissioners, as they listen to tales of intrigue, allegations of betrayal and acts of cowardice during one of the biggest crises this country faced since independence.

For the benefit of Sir David and his colleagues who are not Trinidadians, I should declare my mala fides: I was a central figure in the mutiny of 1970, and my youngest brother was among the Muslimeen "soldiers" who stormed the Red House on July 27, 1990. I need add that even as we held Teteron Barracks in 1970, based on our demands, the Eric Williams Government appointed first a committee, and months later, a commission of enquiry into the state of the Regiment and the mutiny. Neither report has ever been made public. But most of the issues surrounding the mutiny entered the public domain through the preliminary enquiry into charges of treason and three courts martial that followed the Black Power uprising and the mutiny.

I had reservations about this enquiry mainly because I asked myself what it would yield at this time, 21 years after the attempted coup. It is early days yet, with only a handful of witnesses having appeared before the commission. We heard how Abu Bakr and his not-so-merry men pulled off their brazen assault in spite of warnings given to ministers in the Ray Robinson Government. That was startling. We learned that Bilaal Abdullah shot Robinson and Selwyn Richardson. That was not surprising. Some witnesses said the insurgents seemed well trained. Others spoke of the majority being young, unprepared for what they got themselves into.

I imagine the hearings would be even more interesting when the enquiry resumes, with testimonies coming from persons like John Humphrey, Abu Bakr, Basdeo Panday, Patrick Manning and maybe officers of the Police Service and Regiment. From what I have seen and heard thus far, I think Sir David and his fellow commissioners are very professional. They have acted judiciously and asked the witnesses pertinent and penetrating questions.

While we are getting snippets of what happened during those days of wrath, the highlights of the hearings were political bacchanalia. There are security concerns that, even in retrospect, need to be addressed. But these appear to be secondary to the near-chaotic politics of the period. The State's main intelligence unit at the time was the Special Branch of the Police Service. What intelligence on the Muslimeen did it gather before the coup? Ordinary citizens were aware that the Jamaat was a law unto itself. Did the Branch, or the then-commissioner, Jules Bernard, not know of their activities? If not, why?

It's a pity Bernard is now deceased. The commissioners would not see first-hand what a "toothless bulldog" looks like. Bernard embodied the impotence and incompetence, of the Police Service. Borrowing a sentence from Earl Lovelace's new book, Is Just a Movie, the instinctive reaction of the police to the attempted coup was to run—away from the action! That happened back in 1970. Nothing had changed in 20 years. It was only when the insurgents were contained at the two locations they had occupied that the police returned. Again, this was a repeat of 1970.

As for revelations that some policemen were hurling expletives at their superior officers and calling for Robinson's head, I can attest to that being true. I was then managing editor at the Mirror. With the Guardian and Express caught in the coup zone, we went into a daily publication to fill the breach. We monitored the police frequency through a shortwave radio to enhance our new gathering. I heard the cussing. I also saw heavily armed police officers consorting with looters. Many people would testify to these gaping holes in our national security net. The country owes a debt of gratitude to the officers and men of the Regiment who brought a disciplined, yet forceful response and resolution to the attempted coup.

The politicians, however, were woeful at the enquiry. The commissioners heard of infighting in the NAR that was pathetic. Here was a coalition of parties that dealt the PNM its worst defeat ever. The NAR rode to power on the people's disgust with the PNM, and maybe the parlous state of the economy that made George Chambers a hated man. While it's true the NAR inherited a mess, the many man-rats at the party's helm compounded its woes that came shortly after the euphoria of victory.

Robinson complained about Panday not being a team player. Did he not know beforehand that Panday must be captain or nothing else? In fact, Robinson is himself the consummate Afro-Saxon. Before he became Prime Minister in 1986, he was "Ray". On victory night he insisted on being addressed as "Sir". Rawle Raphael said he was warned about an attempted coup but he took it as a joke. John Humphrey saw a solution to the country's monetary problems in the "Trinity dollar". Emanuel Hosein stayed with Robinson after the split, he said, but with serious reservations.

Sir David must have already concluded that he is dealing with a pack of jokers. What may shock him is nothing has changed in La-La-Land, not even after two armed insurrections.

Previous article
PoS reloaded: A guerrilla story

1]; } ?>