April 27, 2024, 09:00:57 AM

Author Topic: 1990 Attempted Coup Commission of Enquiry  (Read 25544 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: 1990 Attempted Coup Commission of Enquiry
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2013, 09:02:35 AM »
Hafizool's connection to the government may not be entirely disclosed however if we accept the story given at the very least there is not just fraud on his part but an obscene act neglect to practice due diligence on the part of both the Minister and the AG. Which even as given brings into question the lack of will to investigate further. Both the AG and the Minister have staff at their disposal to do this work which is actually a routine part of human resource management. It's as easy as giving an instruction and a task that could be completed in a few days as the newspaper is revealing.

I don't know what's worse, the idea that this is either a party appointment with a manufactured CV or that the government was just duped by a document from the world of fantasy. They will ask us the believe the latter.

Tangentially let me say as well there is a clear disconnect .The practice of re-interviewing employees in the public sector for them to have any prospect of keeping their jobs at the end of their contracts was supposedly meant to stop the nepotism of the former regime. Meanwhile Reshmi Ramnarine and Hafizool Ali Mohammed received lucrative appointments with false CVs. The practice has served to only increase the cost and duration of recruitment and selection while it makes way for party hacks ,family and associates of the government to feed at the trough. It is counter-intuitive organizationally and has facilitated the disease it was purported to treat.

WGE-Worst Government Ever
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:05:32 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2013, 09:14:15 AM »
Steups. I ketching my tail to get a wuk after I study...I now realise I do de wrong ting.

I shoulda just make up ting and send it out!
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2013, 10:02:08 AM »
I wonder how Hafizool feeling these days? He could be criminally charged with fraud as he was being paid based on qualifications presented. More telling is whether the state will take action against him.

This is vulgarity of the highest order.

Reminds me of this:
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=58127.msg824526#msg824526

She is charged with falsely claiming she holds a master's degree in chemistry while testifying as an expert witness.
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/02/annie_dookhan_ex-massachusetts.html

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »
I wonder how Hafizool feeling these days? He could be criminally charged with fraud as he was being paid based on qualifications presented. More telling is whether the state will take action against him.

This is vulgarity of the highest order.
G , Hafizool hadda watch he back. Yuh didn't hear the head of the flying squad investigating him ?  ::)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »
G , Hafizool hadda watch he back. Yuh didn't hear the head of the flying squad investigating him ?

Jah Gol doh start me with that flying squad yes, i wonder if i living in DeJa Vu land sometimes.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2013, 12:25:16 PM »
Hafizool's connection to the government may not be entirely disclosed however if we accept the story given at the very least there is not just fraud on his part but an obscene act neglect to practice due diligence on the part of both the Minister and the AG. Which even as given brings into question the lack of will to investigate further. Both the AG and the Minister have staff at their disposal to do this work which is actually a routine part of human resource management. It's as easy as giving an instruction and a task that could be completed in a few days as the newspaper is revealing.

I don't know what's worse, the idea that this is either a party appointment with a manufactured CV or that the government was just duped by a document from the world of fantasy. They will ask us the believe the latter.

Tangentially let me say as well there is a clear disconnect .The practice of re-interviewing employees in the public sector for them to have any prospect of keeping their jobs at the end of their contracts was supposedly meant to stop the nepotism of the former regime. Meanwhile Reshmi Ramnarine and Hafizool Ali Mohammed received lucrative appointments with false CVs. The practice has served to only increase the cost and duration of recruitment and selection while it makes way for party hacks ,family and associates of the government to feed at the trough. It is counter-intuitive organizationally and has facilitated the disease it was purported to treat.

WGE-Worst Government Ever

The practice of making persons reapply is just to make sure they can put in their peeps. Everybody knows which persons and positions are for political hacks and which contract jobs persons got by responding to an ad in a newspaper.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »
http://i955fm.com/

listen to Mervyn Cordner x flying squad police officer and now leader of the new flying squad.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2013, 05:42:37 AM »

Hafizool: My CVs are not 100% accurate

Published:

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Anika Gumbs-Sandiford

Dr Hafizool Ali Mohammed shows a photo of himself in US militarty wear during a press conference at the Port-of-Spain office of his attorney, Martin George, yesterday. Photo: ANDY HYPOLITE

A defiant Dr Hafizool Ali Mohammed, one of the commissioners appointed to sit on the commission of enquiry into the 1990 coup attempt, has admitted his curriculum vitae (CV) is inaccurate but he is not stepping down. In fact, he is returning to the enquiry today to resume duties as a commissioner.

He made the announcement yesterday, as he described the discrepancies on his CV as “errors” at a press conference at the Port-of-Spain office of his attorney, Martin George. George said Mohammed, who called the press conference to clear the air on questions surrounding his qualifications, met with President George Maxwell Richards and Attorney General Anand Ramlogan on Monday, at which time he presented his certificates to both men. He said no objections were raised.

But the explanations given by Mohammed for the discrepancies on his CV were puzzling. Among the explanations given was that for the acronym “MS.” On Mohammed’s CV, he claimed he received an MS, military science, from the US Army Command & General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth. Many perceived this to mean he had a master of science degree in military studies, as the acronym is generally used to described such a degree.

In response to a query by T&T Guardian seeking confirmation of Mohammed’s qualification, US Army Command and General Staff College transcript clerk, Lynn Poss, on Monday said he did not pursue any degree at the college. Poss said Mohammed in fact pursued a command and general staff officer diploma course and not a full degree.

But Mohammed yesterday said the acronym did not mean a “master of science” but rather “military science.” Acronyms for an MSc are: M.Sc, MSc, MSci, MSi, MS, ScM, MSHS, MS, Mag, Mg, Mgr, SM or SM. “What the MS meant was military science. It is not a MSc that some believe it is. The college offers several courses. The course is called military science and leadership,” Mohammed told the media.

“These courses are around the MSc degree level. The MS written on my CV was meant to be military science and not a MSc degree. “I have about 40 resumes floating because I am linked to many organisations. I have had many people worked on my CVs. I can assure you that perhaps none of my CVs are 100 per cent accurate, they are at best 85 to 95 per cent. A challenge is explaining what the military terminology means.”

Asked to explain what he meant by his CV not being accurate, Mohammed said, “You have CVs sometimes in which you are asked to translate military terminology into English and sometimes you just make a mistake. Some of these mistakes are not necessarily major, but there is an issue of translation. When you have in particular a military CV, in the military world it is well understood.

“However, if the CV is seen by someone not in military they may perceive something that is different,” he said. “We try very hard to translate it into civilian language and sometimes we still do not get it right and that is the gist of it. The CVs are not meant to cheat or portray a false story, but sometimes they are not gotten right because they are not well translated and mistakes are made.”

Mohammed also claimed he contacted all the references listed on his CV. “People can say what they want, but I asked all persons before I placed them on my CV," he said. Asked how he contacted T&T’s first president Sir Ellis Clarke, who is now deceased, Mohammed replied, “That was before he died.”

Two people listed as references on Mohammed’s CV—Transport Minister Chandresh Sharma and former Chief of Defence Staff Brig Roland Maundy—told the T&T Guardian they were not aware they were listed as references on Mohammed’s CV.
 Reminded that the CV indicated that Clarke was deceased, Mohammed said, “I informed all persons.”

As for the non-existent Turkey president, Ahmet Haluk Ozbuddun, who was also listed as a reference, Mohammed said he was a “personal friend” of his. “He was not only a personal friend but I also worked with him for many years, beginning in 1974 in Turkey up until he returned to the United States,” he said.

“The only mistake I made with Ozbuddun is my recollection of 1974. I thought he said he acted as the Turkey president. I really thought he said that. It was an error on my part where his title was concerned. It was mistake, I am sure it is not the only one. It is a long time and I may have some of the titles mistaken,” Mohammed said.

PHOTO EVIDENCE

Mohammed’s academic qualifications came under question after it was discovered he obtained his doctor of science degree from Atlantic International University (AIU)—a university described by various Web sites as a diploma mill.
 Showing various photographs taken with distinguished people, including Clarke, yesterday, Mohammed said, “Not much has been said by me. It has been quite painful. I got licks each day, it was simply because I did not have the original documents.”
 Pointing to certificates stuck on the walls behind him, among them a certificate stating he received a master’s degree from the American Military University, Mohammed said he looked forward to returning to his duties as a commissioner.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2013, 06:11:23 AM »
Well we must be real dotish in true.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2013, 06:19:48 AM »
No shame...

aye Hafizool, we in town too long
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2013, 06:33:11 AM »
So wham? Dem other commissioners are jokers. Refuse to be empaneled with this man. Moral authority is a joke in Trinidad & Tobago.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2013, 06:40:28 AM »
shameless fuucker, lawd have mercy, ......now I wondering what exactly d prez and d AG didn' have a problem wit, because diaz some high class crazy man shit he talk dey.
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2013, 06:53:33 AM »
Richards' silence is likely the product of the nature of his office. Ramlogan's silence is likely political ... at this point he would likely accept any threadbare rationale.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2013, 07:10:55 AM »
It takes collusion for an appointment of this kind to occur, it wasn't one man give him a wok. The government has operated with consummate paralysis on this issue except for a bizarre investigation from an illegitimate 'flying squad'. I almost chuckled typing that. 

Music, language and politics are a reflection of the spirit of those who create it. It is a visceral view of the values of people. What we get we deserve, because we're no damn good.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:36:41 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2013, 07:36:22 AM »
Aye, why you guys worrying we living in carnival city where every thing  is old mas, notting 4    king work  and the people happy like pappy.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2013, 11:00:53 AM »

Smoke and mirrors to me the BIG BIG thing is that Nizam Mohammed is a damn TRAITOR
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2013, 11:05:44 AM »
BIG FAT WET LOUD STEUPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. My CV is not 100% accurate. Who here can say that and still have they wuk raise yuh hand?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2013, 11:32:06 AM »
BIG FAT WET LOUD STEUPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. My CV is not 100% accurate. Who here can say that and still have they wuk raise yuh hand?

:applause:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2013, 08:17:29 AM »
41-0 material.

Except for the deaf, dumb and blind and of course the ass licking africans.

15-0 in Grenada. Interesting that ppl quiver when democracy produces what they perceive as an anti-democratic outcome.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2013, 12:09:17 PM »
41-0 material.

15-0 in Grenada. Interesting that ppl quiver when democracy produces what they perceive as an anti-democratic outcome.

Never would happen in Trinidad. Note I said Trinidad. Not Trinidad and Tobago. Cuz you know...Tobago votes on tribalism and race and such.  ::)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2013, 10:35:05 PM »
41-0 material.

In 2001 we had an 18-18 split. Tomorrow morning Bajans could wake up to discover an even or or almost even division of the 30 constituencies, 15-15. [An interesting dynamic has been a few constituencies in which both major party candidates have previously won the constituency ... something to consider!]. While I think the election will be statistically close in terms of the popular vote, I don't see 15-15 manifesting.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2013, 05:37:07 AM »
Terrorists eye TT
Thursday, May 10 2012
T&T Newsday

A REPORT into Trinidad and Tobago by the US State Department’s Bureau of Diplomatic Security has described this country as being a possible “transit point for potential terrorists or terrorist organisations.”

The 2011 Trinidad and Tobago Crime and Safety Report notes that crime remains a problem and the “relatively porous” borders of this country make it also vulnerable to the illegal drugs and weapons trade.

“Over 100 criminal gangs have been identified in Trinidad and Tobago, and these gangs, as well as other organisations, have been linked to crimes related to weapons smuggling, fraud, and other organised criminal activities,” the report, published on the internet, noted. “Radical elements are thought to occasionally make contact with individuals and groups with possible terrorist ties around the world and given the crime rate and some weak aspects of border control, there remains a continued concern that Trinidad and Tobago could be utilised as a transit point for potential terrorists or terrorist organisations.”

With a Commission of Enquiry into the events on 1990 ongoing, the report take notes of the historical backdrop of that year. “The radical Muslim organisation Jamaat-al-Muslimeen, which is locally based, was responsible for a violent, unsuccessful coup attempt in July of 1990,” it notes.

“Since the 1990 coup attempt, the Jamaat and its leaders have focussed on Islamic education and a number of business ventures, but have been linked publicly to serious crimes, including murder, and to alleged get-out-the-vote irregularities during national political campaigns. Meanwhile, the government continues to seek restitution against the Jamaat for damages associated with the 1990 coup attempt.”

However the report finds no “known indigenous terrorist group” with international ties. The report notes that crime remains high. “The crime threat in Port-of-Spain is high, and crime continues be the principal threat to visitors. Although statistics suggest crime may be decreasing overall, crime levels in certain areas of Port-of-Spain continue to be high,” it says.

“The Government of Trinidad and Tobago (GOTT) is making a sincere effort at combating crime. However, an overburdened legal system, bureaucratic resistance to change, unemployment in marginal areas, the negative influence of gangs, and a growing illegal narcotics industry, create significant barriers,” the report noted.

Of prospects for civil unrest, the report continues, “Trinidad has remained mostly peaceful since the attempted coup of 1990, with periodic demonstrations by labour unions over salary negotiations, tax structures and other issues involving public resources or government operations. Some political demonstrations do become violent, with the occasional clash with police. Immediately after September 11, 2001, Jamaat members and others protested in public venues regarding US policy on the war on terrorism. In one particular protest in Port-of-Spain during 2001, the report noted, the American flag was burned.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2013, 04:20:00 AM »
OUTRAGE
1990 ‘coup’ victims denounce Bakr march approved by top cop
By Ria Taitt Political Editor
Story Updated: Jul 26, 2013

The sheer brazenness of the action.

This was the prevailing sentiment among victims of the 1990 coup attempt, as they strongly condemned yesterday’s march by insurrectionist Yasin Abu Bakr.

Today is the 23rd anniversary of the coup attempt—an event which saw 114 Muslimeen storming the Parliament and other places, shooting the former prime minister and former national security minister, holding them and others hostage for six days, leaving a trail of death and destruction in the capital city.

“Unprincipled!” former minister Gloria Henry declared. “They were traitors to the country. What they did was all wrong. It was treason. It was unlawful. You can’t just allow them to celebrate and glorify it!” she stated.

In deference to the entire country, in deference to people who lost their children and children who lost their parents, in deference to people whose businesses never woke up after 1990 and all those people who suffered, the Muslimeen does not have the right to make people feel they (the Muslimeen) did something that was in any way justified, she said.

Former finance minister Selby Wilson, who was one of the targets of the Muslimeen’s brutality and who had been pistol-whipped inside the Red House, said if there was any nexus or association between the march and 1990, then “they (the authorities) have no right to condone that kind of action”.

Wilson said for years people in authority have been condoning actions of Abu Bakr “and that has empowered him. And this is just a continuation of that attitude. It is a continuing pattern of behaviour which empowers Abu Bakr and makes him feel invincible—that he can get away with anything and he can get his way when he wants. And that is what I object to”. “I think the police should not have permitted it, especially in this kind of environment where people are tending to glorify crime and corruption,” he added.

Wilson said Abu Bakr was “celebrating what he thinks is a victory” and that fact that no commission, court or any other secular autho­rity appeared to be able to stop him. “Now he picks up himself to march and tell people they don’t know that whole truth. Brazen man!” Wilson said.

Former minister Jennifer Johnson, who was also held hostage, said she was appalled. “How could you be granting permission for people who have committed such an atrocious crime against the Parliament and the people of this country, to march in honour of what?

Unbelievable!” she said. “But we have become a society where anything goes, so that’s where we are,” she said. Johnson said the Muslimeen were the protagonists in 1990, they committed the acts, they were responsible for the deaths of so many people in 1990.

“The agency responsible for gi­ving that permission should have thought again,” Johnson advised. “Look at the history, look at what the entire thing was about and ought to have reviewed it (the decision to allow the march),” she added. She said people may have forgotten.

Johnson said it was the third year the Parliament was having no commemoration. “Where else (in the world) would that happen against our Parliament, and we are not having the smallest ceremony to commemorate and remind people of what happened?” she said.

Journalist Raoul Pantin, who was one of some two dozen hostages held at gunpoint in Trinidad and Tobago Television by Abu Bakr and his men for six days, said he found it incredibly difficult to believe the authorities would give Abu Bakr permission to stage a march, “the 23rd anniversary of that criminal outrage”.

“Other than commemorating one of the vilest criminal onslaughts against democratic rule in the country’s history, what is the purpose of such a march?” he asked. “Bakr and his cohorts can certainly celebrate the fact that they have escaped the full brunt of the law for their heinous crimes, but why should the authorities collaborate in this? Have the authorities taken leave of their senses?

“Frankly, I think the Trinidad and Tobago Regiment, whose soldiers put down that insurrection, should stage their own public march to commemorate their victory over the forces of evil. And they should be joined in this by all law-abiding citizens,” Pantin said.

Wendell Eversley, who was a hostage the Red House and who saw Lorraine Caballero bleed to death, said he was surprised Abu Bakr was given permission to march.

He recalled that Caballero had a six-month-old daughter at the time. Eversley lamented there was nothing being held by the Parliament to commemorate the event. He said he spoke to two Government officials about at least having the internal flame lit in time for today. He said he would be walking from the Arima Dial to the Eternal Flame, and would then be sitting in front of the Red House from about noon to 6 p.m. and laying a wreath today, together with the leader of the Congress of the People Prakash Ramadhar.

He said he wrote to the Prime Minister, the Opposition Leader and the Independent Liberal Party leader about commemorating the event. Every September 11, public officials go to the US Embassy to pay their respects to those who lost their lives, he added. “We have a by-election. What that have to do with 1990 and its commemoration? Send somebody in Government (and Opposition) to represent. It is only every five years they recognise those who lost their lives,” he said.

Major General Ralph Brown, who played a key role in the military putting down the insurrection, said he did not like the idea of Abu Bakr’s march, but once it was a peaceful march, he did not see how the police commissioner could deny permission.

“But he (Abu Bakr) is very insensitive. I don’t know what there is for him to celebrate in that (event),” Brown said.

TO THE STREETS: Surrounded by followers and passers-by, Jamaat-al-Muslimeen leader Yasin Abu Bakr, centre, walks across Independence Square in Port of Spain yesterday during his march from the Red House to the Parliament at Tower D, Port of Spain International Waterfront Centre, in commemoration of today’s 23rd anniversary of the 1990 attempted coup, which he had led. —Photo: CURTIS CHASE

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »
Now allyuh see why most people on the forum don't like Shabazz as TT coach.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2013, 07:54:24 AM »
sickening!
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2013, 08:50:29 AM »
Pappyshowing at its finest...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2013, 08:58:16 AM »
 :pissedoff: :pissedoff: :frustrated: :frustrated: :banginghead: :banginghead: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:24 AM »
Distasteful as it may be to many, in a supposedly 'free-society' the people have a right to publicly march in protest and exercise their free speech.  We cannot and should not look to ban or prevent any group from voicing their opinions just because those opinions or the source of those opinions does not appeal to our tastes.

People do however have the right to criticize those opinions...but 'banning those opinions' as jennifer Johnson seem to suggest, is going a bit too far, especially in a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC that prides itself on Liberty.   :)

The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

1]; } ?>