March 29, 2024, 08:43:24 AM

Author Topic: 1990 Attempted Coup Commission of Enquiry  (Read 25272 times)

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
Re: 1990 Attempted Coup Commission of Enquiry
« Reply #120 on: July 27, 2013, 10:47:24 AM »
Wow, well ok, then those of us affected by the coup should be awarded as well. Maybe we all should march and or have a minute silence nationwide on the exact time that insurrection took place.
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 27, 2013, 01:13:18 PM »
TT is not a real constitutional republic. On paper, yes it is. But we still need the approval of London for some crucial decisions that we appear to be afraid to make. That is my opinion.

Offline OutsideMan

• Many bad things. *Sips Scotch*
  • Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 27, 2013, 02:40:40 PM »
TT is not a real constitutional republic. On paper, yes it is. But we still need the approval of London for some crucial decisions that we appear to be afraid to make. That is my opinion.

With much respects and humility, actually T&T is a Constitutional Republic...we became so on Sept 24th 1976.  This is why we're known as The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago', and is one of the reasons we celebrate 'Republic' Day. 

We also have a T&T Constitution which lays out the rights of the citizens as 'protection' against the government.

I maintain a copy of this Constitution and always travel with it.   Much cheers, breda!
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 27, 2013, 02:44:09 PM »

With much respects and humility, actually T&T is a Constitutional Republic...we became so on Sept 24th 1976.  This is why we're known as The Republic of Trinidad and Tobago', and is one of the reasons we celebrate 'Republic' Day. 

We also have a T&T Constitution which lays out the rights of the citizens as 'protection' against the government.

I maintain a copy of this Constitution and always travel with it.   Much cheers, breda!

And yes, I totally agree with you on the comment that some decisions we appear too afraid to make.  I don't know if I'm reading you correctly, but I TOO feel disgusted by the fact that we still maintained ties with London and need approvals on some crucial decisions (BIG STEUPPES). 

I'm not the biggest fan or supporter of that strange policy.  I feel your disgust also...lol
The dumbest people on earth are generally located in comment sections of websites all over the world.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 27, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »
having a right to do something does not always make it ok. blatant disrespect for the people of trinidad and tobago and the constitutional republic it is.

outsideman your tone is very reminiscent of a prodigal son of swo
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 27, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
I blame Williams how could he approve this march?
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 27, 2013, 04:42:22 PM »
having a right to do something does not always make it ok. blatant disrespect for the people of trinidad and tobago and the constitutional republic it is.

mal jeux --- I hear you...but the strength of a people and the strength and test of a country's belief in the ideals of freedom and liberty, is when the extreme minority opinion can be shared and respected, regardless of the dissenting opinion from the overwhelming majority.

In other words --- if even 1 person shared the opinion that 1MILLION people disagree with, then the strength and resolve of that country is if they allow that 1 solitary person to still march on the streets to share their 'insidious' opinion that is hated and despised by the rest of the 1 MILLION population.

Our strength and our supposed belief's in the ideals of liberty means nothing if we impose restrictions on someone else's opinions just because we find those opinions blatantly disrespectful and greatly offensive to our sensibilities.

I believe we are better than that as a people.   :)   

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 27, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »
Now allyuh see why most people on the forum don't like Shabazz as TT coach.

Real distasteful... on top of never apologizing (or being incapable of apologizing enough), they rubbing it in the face of the populace.  This probably right up there with getting pissed on... but approving the permit was the right thing to do.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 27, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »

I done make he out long time...

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 27, 2013, 07:15:08 PM »

I done make he out long time...

Bakes de truth is I done long realize that talking to some of alyuh people is like playing a game of strip poker against Rosie O'Donnell while she's on her period. 

Despite all de reasoning and logic, it's just not worth it --- it's just a no win scenario.  ;)

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 27, 2013, 08:03:07 PM »
OutsideMan, you are speaking to me...Some people want to hang them in the square. The time when they had the chance to do that they failed. They can't hold the men and them accountable anymore..Get over it. The frigging state barely recognizes the event. Parliament hasn't commemorate the event in almost 3 years. Imagine we still don't have a wall of remembrance or something for the victims who died.

The by-elections push this huge topic to the back burner, imagine that. Let them march, it just sum up everything about the society. A group of brazen "terrorists" have the ability to march through the capital. You are right though and I will always agree with you when you say that even 1 person has a right to have his/her voice heard. Some people just don't understand that and still beat their chest proudly and claim to be defenders of democracy.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 27, 2013, 08:38:17 PM »
OutsideMan, you are speaking to me...Some people want to hang them in the square. The time when they had the chance to do that they failed. They can't hold the men and them accountable anymore..Get over it. The frigging state barely recognizes the event. Parliament hasn't commemorate the event in almost 3 years. Imagine we still don't have a wall of remembrance or something for the victims who died.

The by-elections push this huge topic to the back burner, imagine that. Let them march, it just sum up everything about the society. A group of brazen "terrorists" have the ability to march through the capital. You are right though and I will always agree with you when you say that even 1 person has a right to have his/her voice heard. Some people just don't understand that and still beat their chest proudly and claim to be defenders of democracy.

Congo, you're quite right, breds.   :beermug:

What I find amusing about this whole thing also is that the same people who boast that they were partying and wining-up during de coup in all those curfew parties, while many countrymen lay dead, maimed, and dying, are the same SAME hypocrites today who're attempting to hide their contemptuous treasonous stripes behind a false flag of fake patriotism.

To be honest, I cannot take these people seriously at all.   

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 27, 2013, 10:01:55 PM »
Not only that but they would continuously call them "terrorist" while at the same time, voting for and defending the very same politicians who have embraced them and elevated their standing in society. These people are frigging insane. I get that people lost their lives and suffered major losses but in the midst of all that, some citizens were partying. Which is why I refuse to put my head on a block and blindly support any side. It isn't as black and white as some people want us to believe.

Post 9-11 the popular word to use is "terrorist." So the people who watch a lil Cnn and Bbc always quick to throw that word around. Listen those guys got lucky at life. In any other serious country, they would have been either dead or jailed for life.

People keep forgetting that Dookeran was given the order from Yasin to go form a government of national unity and he went seeking to form a government of national unity. That's the kind of spineless politicians leading this country. Imagine we had an incident such as that and national security apparatus is continuously dismantled and tampered with all for political mileage.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2013, 05:48:13 AM »

Outside, I know perfectly well what is written on paper. But the very fact there is an except for such important decision as capital crime, treason, etc is why I really don't respect it. We TT, citizens should have full rights to make that decision. Did the US made any except in theirs for the Crown to decide. Did the Latin countries make that exception for Spain. I really blame that on Eric and Hugh Wooding. I honestly  don't understand why they worded the constitution that way. We might as well have stayed independent. We are no different like Australia, NZ and Canada. We is ah joke republic.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 05:50:22 AM by Deeks »

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »

Outside, I know perfectly well what is written on paper. But the very fact there is an except for such important decision as capital crime, treason, etc is why I really don't respect it. We TT, citizens should have full rights to make that decision. Did the US made any except in theirs for the Crown to decide. Did the Latin countries make that exception for Spain. I really blame that on Eric and Hugh Wooding. I honestly  don't understand why they worded the constitution that way. We might as well have stayed independent. We are no different like Australia, NZ and Canada. We is ah joke republic.

Deeks...the follow-up comment I made to that first response yesterday had actually agreed with you on that.  This is something that I don't agree with also (the fact that we have relinquished the important decisions to the UK). A very shameful process indeed.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2013, 06:36:27 AM »
Only $5,000 for Bakr
Judge: Your reputation was not ‘injured’ by arrest
By Jensen LaVende (Express).

AFTER being awarded a nominal $5,000 on a claim of false imprisonment yesterday, Jamaat-al-Muslimeen leader Yasin Abu Bakr said he would be appealing the judgment of High Court Judge Frank Seepersad. Speaking with reporters following the judgment, Abu Bakr, who was represented by attorneys Wayne Sturge, Lemuel Murphy and Nigel Allsop, said the judgment was  “outrageous”.

Bakr had sued the State for damages claiming false imprisonment, malicious prosecution and assault and battery, saying because of the arrest, his “character and reputation” had been “greatly injured” and was seeking some $4 million in legal fees.

The claim, which names both the Office of the Attorney General an d the Commissioner of Police as defendants, stems from  Bakr being charged along with Tahir Ali and Oluyemi Abdul Bassist with possession of a hand grenade, a rifle and 569 rounds of ammunition in November 2005.

Bakr, at the time of the alleged offence, was in police custody in relation to another criminal matter when the weapons were allegedly found.

Police said they found the items in a dormitory at the Mucurapo Road mosque on November 5, 2005. On January 20, 2006, the State conceded there was no case against Bakr and discontinued the three matters against him.

In his 23-page judgment, Seepersad said while it was clear that Bakr was maliciously prosecuted, as a result of  the events of 1990 he could not and did not suffer any injury to his fame and reputation.

“The claimant agonistically and arrogantly admitted his orchestration and involvement in the attempted coup,” he said.

Seepersad added that 20 years have elapsed and the society has yet to reconcile the events and that Bakr has remained in the public view.

He said no objective person would believe his reputation was negatively affected given his role in the attempted coup and subsequent criminal charges following the coup, some of which are still pending.

Seepersad ruled that the arresting officer PC Frith was “prompted by improper motives” and he was “preoccupied with the claimant’s history” when he charged Bakr.

On the grounds of wrongful imprisonment, Seepersad said Bakr was already in Remand Yard on charges of sedition when he was arrested and remained there after the ones laid by Frith were dismissed and therefore suffered no loss of liberty. He said Bakr could not prove either the assault or loss of property claims arising out of the charges and dismissed those matters.

Seepersad also ruled that Bakr did not suffer any anxiety by his arrest since at the time when he was informed of the offence he laughed.

“In this case the court has found that the charges did not cause affront to the claimant’s dignity, he suffered no humiliation nor was any damage done to his ‘reputation’ in the eyes of others,” Seepersad said.

The judge added that in the absence of any evidence of damages the court was of the view that Abu Bakr should receive only nominal damages for malicious prosecution of $5,000 and both the State and Abu Bakr would bear the legal costs they accumulated.

Senior Counsel Israel Khan and Larry Lalla represented the State.   

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2013, 11:14:38 AM »
http://youtu.be/SoFL2ybqWYg

not sure if it was already posted.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2013, 07:29:17 AM »
OutsideMan, you are speaking to me...Some people want to hang them in the square. The time when they had the chance to do that they failed. They can't hold the men and them accountable anymore..Get over it. The frigging state barely recognizes the event. Parliament hasn't commemorate the event in almost 3 years. Imagine we still don't have a wall of remembrance or something for the victims who died. The by-elections push this huge topic to the back burner, imagine that. Let them march, it just sum up everything about the society. A group of brazen "terrorists" have the ability to march through the capital. You are right though and I will always agree with you when you say that even 1 person has a right to have his/her voice heard. Some people just don't understand that and still beat their chest proudly and claim to be defenders of democracy.

What I find amusing about this whole thing also is that the same people who boast that they were partying and wining-up during de coup in all those curfew parties, while many countrymen lay dead, maimed, and dying, are the same SAME hypocrites today who're attempting to hide their contemptuous treasonous stripes behind a false flag of fake patriotism.

I cant believe the shyte that does come out of allyuh mouth and into cyber space.

Congo whenever yuh have time pass in front of the red house and yuh will see a flame burning, walk up to it and try out it with yuh head.

Outsideman you have the most wishywashy attitude to seriousness always trying to come across as if yuh know telling people they wrong then saying yuh understand what they saying. Yuh like a Palestinian in a Jewish whorehouse, yuh doh know if to blow them up or have them blow you.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 31, 2013, 01:40:12 PM »

. Yuh like a Palestinian in a Jewish whorehouse, yuh doh know if to blow them up or have them blow you.

;D beetween this and de details of the sweetbread bet...you on a roll boy
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2013, 07:37:56 AM »
OutsideMan, you are speaking to me...Some people want to hang them in the square. The time when they had the chance to do that they failed. They can't hold the men and them accountable anymore..Get over it. The frigging state barely recognizes the event. Parliament hasn't commemorate the event in almost 3 years. Imagine we still don't have a wall of remembrance or something for the victims who died. The by-elections push this huge topic to the back burner, imagine that. Let them march, it just sum up everything about the society. A group of brazen "terrorists" have the ability to march through the capital. You are right though and I will always agree with you when you say that even 1 person has a right to have his/her voice heard. Some people just don't understand that and still beat their chest proudly and claim to be defenders of democracy.

I cant believe the shyte that does come out of allyuh mouth and into cyber space.

Congo whenever yuh have time pass in front of the red house and yuh will see a flame burning, walk up to it and try out it with yuh head.

Outsideman you have the most wishywashy attitude to seriousness always trying to come across as if yuh know telling people they wrong then saying yuh understand what they saying. Yuh like a Palestinian in a Jewish whorehouse, yuh doh know if to blow them up or have them blow you.

fishs --- with all that being said, I haven't seen you or anyone else down there take up cutlasses and guns, and storm Bakrs compound.  The fact remains is that people like you will talk their talk, but you not willing to back it up.  If you and everyone feels as strongly about the mis-deeds of Bakr and his people for what they got away with, then why haven't you organized and taken it upon yourselves to dispense 'justice'.

You saying tht you want the government and ONLY the government to fight your battles for someone or some entity who wronged you and the people?  BIG STEUPPES...and BIG STEUPPES again.

You're joke...you're just another armchair revolutionary...no REAL patriotism.  All talk zero action. 

Just telling it like it is. 

Offline OutsideMan

• Hero Warrior
  • SocaWarrior4Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2013, 07:52:03 AM »
fishs --- I'll add this also though....the ironic is you don't even realize that the funniest thing you said in your last comment is claiming how much people like you are so 'serious' about this issue.  You're serious???  Seriously?

If you're that 'serious' about that issue as you claim, why haven't you organized militias to storm Bakrs compound and 'take them out'?  The level of seriousness you claim to have for this since 1990, have you shed one (just at least ONE) drop of blood as yet to seek vengeance against de perpetrators?  Have you ever even punched one of the perpetrators in the nose?  Or just poke them on their shoulder?  ANYTHING???

Brotha', hypocrites like you hiding behind your fake-ass false-flags of patriotism are a f#$%ing joke.  Shame is, yuh doh even realize that.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #141 on: March 17, 2014, 05:03:29 AM »
Coup enquiry report: Past, present govts failed to fix damage
Monday, March 17, 2014
By Kalifa Clyne (Guardian).

Governments have done nothing to fix the significant damage wrought on Port-of-Spain’s business community as a result of the 1990 coup attempt. This was noted in the report of the Commission of Enquiry into the 1990 attempted coup. The document, available to the public on the T&T Parliament’s Web site, said the Port-of-Spain business community had suffered losses of approximately $450 million. The report said “business and commerce in Port-of-Spain were clearly negatively impacted by the insurrection.”

“Arson and looting caused losses estimated by us, on the evidence provided, at approximately $450,000,000.” The report blamed the negative change in the nature and culture of the capital city’s business on the destruction which occurred in the city at that time. “Whereas, prior to 1990, Port-of-Spain was a desirable centre of shopping for Caribbean persons, after 1990, all that changed.”

“As a consequence, large numbers of shoppers from neighbouring islands have sought other destinations, while the local population has resorted to the several shopping malls which grew up as one of the consequences of the events of in 1990.” The report described the initiatives of the NAR government to assist the business community as “well intentioned but so complex as not to have been attractive.”

“We received no evidence that successive governments ever followed up those initiatives or provided any other form of financial assistance to assist the suffering business community.” President of the Downtown Owners and Merchants Association (Doma), Gregory Aboud said past and present governments had failed to make even simple policy changes that would have assisted ion the growth of business in the capital city.

In an interview yesterday, Aboud said simple policy decisions regarding parking and security would have benefited the city. “In this case we can point a very strong finger at the Salvatori site which could easily have provided much needed relief to the city’s chronic shortage of parking,” said Aboud. He said this had to be analysed from the point of view that businesses had not asked for financial grants nor requested any kind of subventions or concessions other than the use of a vacant lot.

“Not only was this denied but it was denied at the same time that police began their merciless wrecking system.” Aboud said the 1990 coup attempt resulted in a loss of trust in the overall process of governance. He noted that in addition to the city being abandoned on the night of July 27, 1990, no one was held to account for the abject lawlessness of the looting which took place nor the actual event of the coup attempt itself.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

1]; } ?>