Queiroz
9 (42.9%)
Pfister
7 (33.3%)
Neither
5 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: March 04, 2011, 12:16:52 PM

Author Topic: German Pfister in running for T&T coach  (Read 10812 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
German Pfister in running for T&T coach
« on: February 01, 2011, 12:45:57 AM »
Lo and behold, after Wim was fired and even before that I was saying get a german coach for our team, it will do us good. now this, after coach Q out of the picture. If we get Pfister it will be a big plus for our program.

I must say he has a stellar record, Latas may serve as an understudy with Pfister bringing in another asst coach under him and a new TD.

Trinidad Express Newspaper National News of Trinidad and Tobago

German Pfister in running for T&T coach

Originally printed at http://www.trinidadexpress.com/sports/German_Pfister_in_running_for_T_T_coach-114986424.html

By Kern De Freitas

February 1, 2010

German Otto Pfister is now among the leading candidates to replace Russell Latapy as Trinidad and Tobago senior football coach.

Former Portugal manager Carlos Queiroz was reported as being favourite to take the T&T job, but is officially out of the running after signing with Brazilian club Vasco de Gama.

The English Daily Mail Online reported on Sunday that Queiroz has agreed to manage the four-time Brazilian champions. Queiroz coached Portugal during the initial qualifiers for Euro 2010, but was released after a string of poor results.

Pfister is being looked at favourably by the T&T Football Federation (TTFF) following the withdrawal of Queiroz. One concern, though, is the age of the former Burkina Faso national coach, who is 73.

Damien Downey, managing director of Elite Football Management—the management company representing Pfister—does not believe age will be a problem.

"He can offer so much from day one and he is a man who knows how to qualify for tournaments," Downey told the Express yesterday. "Pfister will get T&T to Brazil in 2014."

Pfister has taken four countries--Burkina Faso, Zaire, Cameroon and Ghana--to the African Cup of Nations, the last two of whom reached the final. He also won the FIFA Under-17 World Cup with Ghana and the Under-19 African Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast. He last took Togo to the World Cup in 2006.

In all, Pfister has coached ten international teams, including Bangladesh and Saudi Arabia.

Latapy met with TTFF officials on Friday, reportedly to determine what role he will play in the national set up. It has also been speculated that he become the understudy to his successor.

He was recently sacked as T&T head coach after a string of poor performances that culminated with a first round exit from the Digicel Caribbean Cup Finals.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 12:49:38 AM by Controversial »

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: German Pfister in running for T&T coach
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »
Otto Pfister: The Grand Old Man of African Football

For 36 years, African Cup of Nations glory has eluded coach Otto Pfister.

Cameroon’s veteran coach is looking at Ghana 2008 to fulfill his ambitions.

The authoritative and commanding German coach has been seeking glory in Africa since 1972. But for all this period, the coach has been unable to lift the Nations Cup, despite handling over eight top national teams across the continent.

Pfister was in the same league of Buckhard Pape and Bernhard Zgoll, the first group of German coaches to land Africa in the early '70s through a German exchange program that saw them seconded to various African countries.

Surprisingly, Pfister’s first landing in Africa was in Rwanda, where he arrived in June 1972 and found no football structure in the tiny African nation.

“I landed in Africa for the first time in 1972 and that was Rwanda. I found there was nothing there as far as football was concerned. The football culture was not there. I stayed there for four years until 1976 when I left. But even by the time I was leaving, nothing much had been achieved.”

Pfister attributed his failure to achieve much for Rwanda on instability and lack of structures.

By then, Rwanda was experiencing some political upheavals and ethnic animosity.

Football could not flourish.

“I wish I went to Rwanda under the current situation. I’m sure I would have achieved a lot,” Pfister said in reference to Rwanda’s obsession of football under the leadership of President Paul Kagame.

When he left Rwanda, Pfister went to Burkina Faso, then called Upper Volta.

Between 1976 and 1978, Pfister changed the face of football in Burkina Faso.

The establishment in Burkina welcomed the German coach and because of the natural interest in football and the Government’s commitment, Burkina qualified for their first ever Nation's Cup finals in 1978 in Ghana.

“We played some good football in Ghana and although we did not reach the semi-finals, we returned to Ouagadougou with respect,” the German coach said.

It was the success with the Burkina team that opened the way for Pfister to traverse Africa, the Middle East, and Asia in the past 36 years since his first landing in Africa.

During this period, Pfister has coached in the Congo (DRC), Cote d’Ivoire, Senegal, Morocco, Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Tunisia, Lebanon, Sudan, Togo, Ghana twice and, now Cameroon.

Three months ago, the Cameroon football Federation (FECAFOOT) contracted Pfister to guide the Indomitable Lions in the 26th Edition of the Africa Cup of Nations in Ghana.

Despite the short notice, the 72-year-old veteran took up the challenge.

He had a slippery start when Egypt pelted the Lions 4-2 in their opening match of the tournament in Kumasi last week.

But the Lions, in their supreme characteristics, recovered quickly to maul Zambia 5-1 and Sudan 3-0 to reach the quarter finals where they beat Tunisia 3-2.

“I have a strong side to win the cup and our chances are 100 percent intact. We slipped against Egypt. But you saw how we recovered to reach the last eight. That confirms that we are a championship side,” Pfister boasted in Tamale during an interview with the Daily Nation before last night’s semi-final against the hosts.

“However, I would like to make it clear that we are not underrating any side, because all the remaining teams have the capacity to win the cup. But we are one of the front-runners, no doubt about it. You can write that if you want,” he roared in his intimidating voice ahead of last night’s decisive game.

Pfister, who rarely sits during the action, commands from the technical area and roars salvos to the fourth official and his players until he gets what he wants.

Pfister, born in Colgone, said he played for FC Cologne “but my obsession was handball and some basketball. Football came later in my life. I didn’t even play for the German national team,” he confessed.

The German tactician, with his strong emphasis on discipline, said his biggest problem in Africa is with the football administrators.

“I have been in Africa for 32 years and my biggest problem has been with the administrators. Majority of them have no idea about football and that is why I have ran into problems with them.”

Pfister, hired by Togo for the World Cup in 2006, was involved in a stand-off with the Togo FA over players’ dues during the World Cup.

He sided with players until FIFA settled all their dues before they accepted to honor their matches.

“That is the language some them understand. They do not do things in the right way. That is what happened in Germany,’’ he revealed.

He said football in Africa is quite different at the regional level.
He said North and West Africa play different football while eastern and southern zones have a different approach.

“For West Africa, football is life and death and they have the rhythm and talent all round. This is not the case with East central and southern part of Africa where the game is slow and the approach lukewarm,” he noted.

However, he praised Sudan for having a strong league and possibly the best in Africa.

“I was with El Merreikh of Sudan for two years and really enjoyed working in Sudan where the clubs have money and people honour their obligations,” he said in reference to his two year stint with the Sudan giant club when they reached the CAF Cup final last year.

Pfister has been to four Nations Cup finals, first with Burkina Faso (1978), Zaire (1988),  Ghana (1992), and now with Cameroon.

His biggest success in Africa was at Zamalek of Egypt (1999-2002) when the club won the Egyptian league, knock-out cup, African Super Cup, and African Cup Winners’ Cup in those four years.

Pfister’s coaching profile:

1972 -76: Arrives in Kigali, Rwanda
1976-78: Coached Upper Volta (Burkina Faso) and took them to the finals of CAN in Ghana ‘78
1978-81: Coached Senegal National team
1982-85: Coached Cote d’Ivoire’s National Team                                              1986-90: Coached Zaire’s Leopards
1992-95: Coached Ghana Black Stars, taking the Black starlets to World Cup in Mexico
1996-97: Coached Bangladesh National Team
1997-98: Coached Saudia Arabian National Team taking them to a World Cup
1999-2002: Coached Zamalek of Egypt and won five trophies with team
2003: Coached Sfax of Tunisia and won the league cup
2004: Coached Lebanon national team
2006: Coached Togo National Team at the World Cup
2007: Coached El Merreikh of Sudan and took them to the final of CAF Cup
2008: Coaching Cameroon team for CAN 2008

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 05:18:27 AM »
Pfister, of all the previous lofty "wish-list" hopefuls put out by the TTFF looks to be the man most suited for the job. He has spent pretty much all his life coaching third world nations, so that makes him a good fit for T&T.

He could potentially be the oldest coach in Brazil 2014 if TT makes it with him.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:02:39 AM »
Pfister, of all the previous lofty "wish-list" hopefuls put out by the TTFF looks to be the man most suited for the job. He has spent pretty much all his life coaching third world nations, so that makes him a good fit for T&T.

He could potentially be the oldest coach in Brazil 2014 if TT makes it with him.

Good pedigree, and perhaps more importantly, considering the shabby state of the TTFF, may be hardened to such inefficiencies, considering his previous tenures.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:56:28 AM by Tenorsaw »

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »
In all of those years he's only managed to qualify one team for the World Cup (despite having the like of Abedi Pele and Tony Yeboah when he was with Ghana).  Maybe more importantly in the eyes of T&T, when he did with Togo, those players nearly didn't play because of unpaid bonuses, and he nearly quit because of them.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 08:30:15 AM by theworm2345 »

Offline RGarcia

• Forward To Mid-Field to Defense
  • Hero Warrior
  • Who Jah bless, no man curse!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 08:42:13 AM »
If reggae-fan like him for TT coach then he aint good.  :rotfl:
All American

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 08:56:14 AM »
In all of those years he's only managed to qualify one team for the World Cup (despite having the like of Abedi Pele and Tony Yeboah when he was with Ghana).  Maybe more importantly in the eyes of T&T, when he did with Togo, those players nearly didn't play because of unpaid bonuses, and he nearly quit because of them.

He did not qualify Togo another coach actually did that job, but was released from his duties following a falling out with Adebayor. As for the unpaid bonuses that is a Federation issue, not a coach (so let's be fair). I may be wrong here, but I believe he qualified Saudi Arabia in 1998, though I am not sure he coached them at the WC.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 09:07:30 AM »

He did not qualify Togo another coach actually did that job, but was released from his duties following a falling out with Adebayor. As for the unpaid bonuses that is a Federation issue, not a coach (so let's be fair). I may be wrong here, but I believe he qualified Saudi Arabia in 1998, though I am not sure he coached them at the WC.

According to wikipedia: In 1997, Pfister successfully guided Saudi Arabia to the 1998 FIFA World Cup in France but was crudly released just before the tournament because he requested the Saudi Princes to interfere less in team affairs. After Saudi Arabia lost their opening two games and failed to progress, Carlos Alberto Parreira was fired and Pfister was reinstated as Head Coach on completion of the tournament.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 09:09:43 AM »
MISTER PFISTER

right... i naming him first (C)
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 12:03:34 PM »
If reggae-fan like him for TT coach then he aint good.  :rotfl:

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »
Pfister, hired by Togo for the World Cup in 2006, was involved in a stand-off with the Togo FA over players’ dues during the World Cup.

In 1997, Pfister successfully guided Saudi Arabia to the 1998 FIFA World Cup in France but was crudly released just before the tournament because he requested the Saudi Princes to interfere less in team affairs.

Pfister attributed his failure to achieve much for Rwanda on instability and lack of structures.

“I have been in Africa for 32 years and my biggest problem has been with the administrators. Majority of them have no idea about football and that is why I have ran into problems with them.”

Fun times ahead.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:37:17 PM »

In 1997, Pfister successfully guided Saudi Arabia to the 1998 FIFA World Cup in France but was crudly released just before the tournament because he requested the Saudi Princes to interfere less in team affairs.

Fun times ahead.

If he take this job he clearly either like it so or didnt do his homework

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 12:43:25 PM »

Fun times ahead.

Ent!!! Get yuh popcorn ready...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 12:53:21 PM »
We could rel name coaches boy....if is one thing.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 01:12:19 PM »
I really hope TT gets a coach that knows how to evaluate talent.. select the best players... and have the team play solid defense and attractive attacking soccer so we all can be proud of our National team!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 01:50:44 PM »
not bad at all "Coach"

thats like ah have a friend i play golf with... he said one morning heading to the course... ' Aye..i work it out...very simple... just hit the fairways..hit the green..and roll the putt in".. i say..ok...
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »
Good for T&T in a theoretical setting only
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pfister: T&T should be in every World Cup
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 05:35:21 AM »
Pfister: T&T should be in every World Cup
By Kern De Freitas (T&T Express)

Trinidad and Tobago football needs a "unified philosophy" to emerge from its current slump.

That is one of the key factors senior coaching hopeful Otto Pfister has identified in reversing the fortunes of the national team.

The T&T Football Federation is currently in the hunt for a replacement for Russell Latapy, who was removed as head coach after a string of poor performances by the national team, culminating in a group stage exit from the Digicel Caribbean Cup Finals.

Former Portugal coach Carlos Quieroz was considered front-runner until he signed with Brazilian club Vasco de Gama on the weekend.

Through his management representatives, Elite Football Management, Pfister told the Express that measures such as regular assembling of the national team, regular clinics with local coaches and a "unified philosophy" can help T&T develop a winning formula.

"This was behind the success I had with Ghana, when I won the Youth World Cup with the team in 1991 and went to the final of the African Cup of Nations with a team that failed to qualify for that tournament in over ten years," Pfister explained.

Pfister said he applied for the T&T coaching job because he sees "potential" in the team as a "regional powerhouse" and feels this country should "always be featured in every World Cup".

He is also a fan of youth development and integrating young players into the national senior team.

Pfister, 73, does have considerable experience, having coached eight different African teams, and took Togo to the 2006 World Cup. But the TTFF has reportedly been concerned about the German tactician's age.

Pfister does not see an age problem, though.

"I think that there are no young or old coaches, only successful and less successful ones," he said, singling out fellow German Otto Rehhagel, who ended his tenure as Greece manager last year, and Spanish coach Luis Aragones, who won Euro 2008 with the Spaniards.

Both Rehhagel and Aragones will be 73 this year.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 06:57:02 AM »
If he does get the job,one would hope he did his homework because he Will encounter some knuckleheads, starting with the SA,who more than likely will be handling the terms of his employment

Good luck to you Risktaker Pfister...... :devil:

Raspect

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 07:44:49 AM »
Based on all the reports given and if his expressions of interest is genuine, then the choice seems logical.

Which of course means he probably won't be selected by the TTFF
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
I think this man will do good. He know how to collect a pay check. Stroking egos already.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 08:29:32 AM »
SEVENTY-TREE!?!?!?!?.....it have any other coaches close to that age presently at any 1st division of national level??
is real experience makin him say de right things to get ah wukk

Dis creaky relic pushin damn near 80 years old and still rinsin out people ears wit lyrics
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »
Latapy would have been a better choice. In 10 years where will this man be and where will TnT football be.

we need to develop coaches as well as players

part of development is failing

if latapy fail in 2014 at least the experience will make him a better coach

he might coach a local club team or get a second chance to try again.

we are going to hire this man pay him big money and probably still not make it.

In the long run it does not make sense because he does not have a vested interest in the nation.

Bennie man is a classic example

he rock and leave and we not even a day better off than when he was here.

yes we make a world cup

but so what? is our program better off to ensure we make more world cups?

most will answer no

no even in the least

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 09:24:01 AM »
This is why the TTFF will always have to do their thing and who vex,vex,it's very difficult to satisfy/please  people,Coach too old,he too young,he inexperience,he have to be foreign,check his record,he can't dress,he looking for a pay check,he can't speak English,the dutch better than the English,we can't afford etc etc are there any ideas to find some solution to our coaching problems,bear in mind nothing we do is guaranteed to place us in Brazil.
There will always be those who are waiting to say i told you so,what to do guys?we are running out of time,at the moment our Football is at a standstill,all the Coaches we don't think not qualified enough to coach T&T are snapping up jobs all over the place,they are not good enough for T&T like we are some big country in Football,Coaches coming here have it hard,they have to spend too much time teaching our players how to play this game,our domestic league indicate how well our national teams going to play,check it out and see what i'm talking about.
I don't know any of these Coaches wanting the job and i don't think it's my business to know,i trust the powers that be will do the best they can in the best interest of our Football.      

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 09:29:43 AM »
not sure what to make of this. Pfister's track record with administrators can work for and against him - he's accustomed to the nonsense, but at the same time I'm not sure he's handled them that well in the past either.

Anyway, somebody should tell Kern De Freitas that the Euro took place in 2008, and the World Cup was in 2010.
Also Pfister didn't "take" Togo anywhere except out in the first round...a local coach - I think it was Stephen Keshi was responsible for their qualification...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2011, 09:48:22 AM »
,i trust the powers that be will do the best they can in the best interest of our Football.      

Really??,, coops boy yuh miss yuh callin to the priesthood
Any coach would be willing to come t&t if their passion for the game is still lit and the compensation is to their liking

I dont know anything about this german fellah but at first glance he seems like a mercenary hunting for a cheque...hopefully i'm wrong
but everybody done know what pressure does do to ole pipe
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2011, 09:57:35 AM »
,i trust the powers that be will do the best they can in the best interest of our Football.      

Really??,, coops boy yuh miss yuh callin to the priesthood
Any coach would be willing to come t&t if their passion for the game is still lit and the compensation is to their liking

I dont know anything about this german fellah but at first glance he seems like a mercenary hunting for a cheque...hopefully i'm wrong
but everybody done know what pressure does do to ole pipe

Dutty,with all due respects i have one question for you.Do you have any suggestions,ideas or solutions to our present coaching crisis?

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 09:59:09 AM »
YUh cyar be getting all dat wuk from 40 onwards and not have some kinda skill.

He heart must be real good cause this line of wuk is pace and emotions or he have a mental like Xavier.

D man probably good at what he does.

He ent have to run drills....he have a assistant coach to show dem how to kick d ball.  ;D

He just have to sit under the coconut tree, sip some rum and analyse who competent and who able from the few available players who ent get tie up in TTFF politics.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »
He still looking sprity for 73 man.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »
    Dutty,with all due respects i have one question for you.Do you have any suggestions,ideas or solutions to our present coaching crisis?
[/quote]

sure a bunch of band aid solutions, but that would mean the only problem we have is a coaching 'crisis'.....when in fact as you well know its an entire football adminstration crisis

1]; } ?>