April 23, 2024, 02:27:12 AM

Author Topic: Three things Beenhakker wanted to enforce.  (Read 5051 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Three things Beenhakker wanted to enforce.
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:59:17 PM »
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

This November, Leo Beenhakker will aim to bring Trinidad & Tobago (T&T) out of football obscurity and onto the World stage. Before his side’s crucial play-off with Bahrain on November 12th and 16th, the former Real Madrid, Ajax and Dutch manager spoke about the dramatic turn around in T & T’s fortunes.
Beenhakker was called upon to rescue the Caribbean outfit back in April after an abysmal start under former coach, Bertille St Clair. On the receiving end of an opening 2-1 defeat at the hands of USA, then, a 5-1 drumming at Guatemala and a scoreless draw with Costa Rica, left T&T bottom of the final CONCACAF group round. He seemed unfazed at the task in hand. “When there is a lot of pressure its okay. It doesn’t deter me. I can handle it perfectly,” said the cool as you like Dutchman.
His appointment was crucial and many asked why it had not come sooner. “From what I saw,” began Beenhakker, “there was no team. We had players but no team. At the same time I saw that there was much more in every player and more in the team.”
“Of course qualifying was not realistic. Normally we would have been out, but we took it as a challenge, knowing that we were at least on the same level as Costa Rica, Guatemala and Panama. With a little bit of luck we thought from the beginning that we could do it. We took the challenge and it is going well.”
T&T instantly looked a changed side. “I wanted to enforce three things! First of all building a team, working on the fact that the left hand has to know what the right hand is doing. Second we worked one hour, each session, on ball possession because that is what football is all about. Finally, to get much more confidence and forget that the other guys are better then you are.
If there ever was a complete opposite to Jose Mourinho, Beenhakker is it. On the brink of greatness with Trinidad, he is modest, self-effacing and reserved. Beenhakker went straight for the tunnel after the dramatic comeback against Mexico. “I was the first guy to go inside because the players had all the right to celebrate it on the pitch. It was not the end, it was only the beginning. It was nice, but we have not won anything at all.”
His faith in his players is striking and he is confident without seeming arrogant. “I was surprised that Mexico scored the first goal because we had the whole match in our hands. I was full of confidence that we could win this match and I said that at half time to the players. Just go out and perform, the chances will come and you can win this match. It was a match where you had the sensation within five minutes that you could win it.”
Dwight Yorke (34) and Russell Latapy (37) emerged from retirement for this World Cup qualifying campaign, but Beenhakker rubbished claims that the pair are difficult to work with. “These guys are no more difficult then any other players. To manage a football team you need two things. You need your knowledge of football and you need to understand people and give your time to them.”
Latapy at 37 is known as ‘the little magician.’ “The key is not 37. I always say your age based on your date of birth is not important. Age is how you feel inside. He has a good eye for what a team needs and how they are to play. At this moment age is not important. He can still play two matches in four days.”
The relationship he shares with his players is unparalleled. “I give all my time 24 hours a day to my players. It can be on the pitch, it can be outside the pitch, it can be in a mental way, social way, but I live with them 24 hours. I think that is the key of building a good team and also to do your job, not only in a professional way but also in a human way.”
His managerial record is impressive; three Spanish titles with Real Madrid, three Dutch league titles, with Ajax (2) and Feyenoord (1) as well as a World Cup appearance with Holland in 1990. Obviously not feeling indebted to him for getting them to their first World Cup in the USA ‘94, Saudi Arabia dismissed him before a ball was kicked at the Final’s.
In 1989 T&T were in a similar position. With qualification at their finger tips they were defeated at home by the USA. That victory not only put the USA into the World Cup, but it gave a new lease of life to football in their nation. It might well have been T & T in that position today had the team, which included a 21 year-old Russell Latapy and one Dwight Yorke, lived up to expectations. “For sure they will look back on that game, but that is not my problem. I work now and I live now. I don’t live in the past.”
So, what would qualifying for Germany mean to the 2 islands that make up Trinidad & Tobago? “A week’s carnival,” he replies with a little laugh. Bahrain will test Beenhakker’s resilience as a manager. “We will not underestimate Bahrain in any way. The supporters and everybody can dream of Germany. The main part is that we the professionals keep both feet on the ground. Let’s first play Bahrain. I always want to win. I will only be happy when we win and when we qualify for Germany.”
With rumours of Bobby Zamora and Jlloyd Samuel possibly linking up before the showdown with Bahrain, the future looks bright for Trinidad. Will they be able to split the dominance of Mexico’s and the USA? “It is impossible. Mexico has 50 million people, while Trinidad has 1 million. It is the same as Europe when you talk about Andorra, Cyprus and Iceland.” If, however, Trinidad take the Saudi option and sack the Dutchman, he could always become manager of the Irish football team.
Meanwhile, fans living in North America will have the chance to view Trinidad and Tobago’s upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Bahrain live on Fox Soccer Channel.
This was confirmed through the efforts of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation, thee Local Organising Committee, Jack Warner and Traffic Sports.
“I just confirmed the Live broadcast with FOX Soccer Channel in USA, Canada and Puerto Rico for the game on Nov 12 and Nov 16, they may also cover the game in Fox Sports en Espanol but it is not confirmed,” stated Enrique Sanz of Traffic.
“In the Caribbean the games will be shown via CBU/CMC, in Jamaica with TV Jamaica and a deal with Fox for Latin America is still in the works.
Bahrain has not confirmed the deal and this will take some time.
Japan, Thailand and Indonesia have also confirmed to have the games shown live and there is growing interest in the middle east.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 03:06:09 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: Three things Beenhakker wanted to enforce.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 03:05:17 PM »
nice nice. things finally comming together.

all we need iz ah kit and we good.

p.s.  i still waiting fuh meh finta >:(

and where are the other 21 islands

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 03:07:47 PM »
nice read...23 islands? wayyyyz i know they have little tobago and den down de islands..buh dat cant be 23!
Back in Trini...

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 03:10:56 PM »
23?

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 03:13:04 PM »
Maybe on de right day, if yuh count dem sand-bars dat does appear one day down by Icacos, and disappear de next day, yuh might get de 23, including de five islands etc. But dat is pushin it.
Toujour Pret!

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005, 03:16:34 PM »
well i goin and live on one and dem islands ;D

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 03:19:47 PM »
well i goin and live on one and dem islands ;D

Den all yuh need is ah fast pirogue and yuh go be in business... (acording to de feedback from de Nakhid thread yesterday)
Toujour Pret!

Offline Sentinel

• Full Warrior
  • Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2005, 03:22:56 PM »

23 ????  Yuh mean Michael Jordan number....Allyuh could have updated meh!  Look like we growing islands now.

Luv U T&T!

Offline Dre Day

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2005, 03:23:43 PM »

So, what would qualifying for Germany mean to the 23 islands that make up Trinidad & Tobago? “

WTF???   All this time i thought i knew meh country  :rotfl:  ent is just 5 islands dong d islands?? WE must be adopt ST vincient and a whole set of dem

i think we just buy the whole ah de caribbean and rename it trinidad and tobago wee.... we is we own continent...
 :rotfl:  ;D

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2005, 03:24:38 PM »
i think we already did that.de amount ah money they owe we ;D

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 04:01:57 PM »

So, what would qualifying for Germany mean to the 2 islands that make up Trinidad & Tobago? “A week’s carnival,” he replies with a little laugh.

Allyuh eye buss or what?  where allyuh see 23?

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 04:04:30 PM »
de article was edited then...before it was saying 23...now we looking like we all gone mad yes
Back in Trini...

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2005, 04:32:54 PM »
maybe they finger slip  ;D

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 06:33:21 PM »
Notice Beenie don't talk until he feels that there are obvious signs of improvement.  De man is not ah moutha masse and teeth ah plunder.  He does deal with results. ;D

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 11:14:48 PM »
 23 is de amount ah sections in ISLAND PEOPLE mas band. De man know what he saying.  :rotfl: :rotfl:
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2005, 05:52:57 AM »
both matches live on FSC!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Solo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 06:36:39 AM »
Alyuh de man seh we had players but no team...take dat in yuh kweffen

1]; } ?>