April 28, 2024, 01:49:01 AM

Author Topic: One of the reasons football in T&T lacks money and support  (Read 4916 times)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
One of the reasons football in T&T lacks money and support
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:44:42 AM »
Today is F.A. Trophy final day. It is supposedly the oldest and most sought after trophy in T&T. Certainly, in most other countries the F.A. cup/trophy is the biggest prize.

But you wouldn't think that here. Todays Guardian had a feature on page A74, todays Express (normally quite good with coverage) had nothing. It did have a full page preview of tomorrows premier league matches! Haven't seen Newsday, so can't comment on their coverage.

The thing is, if the press don't get behind football and excite the people, no one will come. In England, newspapers give over whole sections to the FA Cup final. You would think here, at least papers would give a page.

I'm sure if a newspaper did a feature they could obtain sponsorship via advertising for the section.

If I was an editor, this is what I would do:

Contact both clubs to obtain list of sponsors and key supporters.
Produce a 4 page pull out listing both squads plus facts about the teams etc
Get comments from celebrity fans (NES have JW & Ria Ramnarine, sure JAB have some too)
Get voxpop from citizens of Grande & San Juan

I would then approach sponsors to pay, say $1,000 each to wish team well and place an ad: JAB - Blink (not sure who else) NES - Japs Fried Chicken, DIRECTV, Carib, MaltaCarib, Toyota, Sports & Games, Lotto, Cher-Mere, Haagen Dazs, McCain, Ocean Spray

The paper makes money and the sport gets the coverage it needs.

Instead, the back page of Guardian has a large picture of winning cricket captains and the Express has a full back page covering West Indies defeat vs Sri Lanka.

I understand that there is an opinion that ProLeague etc is not big here, but how can it be without the support of the media. One feeds the other. The FA Trophy is one day a year, surely cricket can be moved for one day?

Carnival, fetes and concerts are marketed superbly. Yes, they make big money, but football could host an event that breaks even at least. A new mindset is needed from Govt down to the ProLeague clubs, including the supporters, media and TTFF and administrators.
Today should be the biggest day in the domestic football calendar, but instead its not even mentioned in the Express! 
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:48:32 AM by Football supporter »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: One of the reasons football in T&T lacks money and support
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »
In one of my post I said, the TTFF always screwing up football. The FA was always a big tournament in TT until jack and his cabal relegate the tournament to a minor competition. You mean to say they could not make Toyota sponsor the FA instead of the Toyota cup for the select few teams. Is up to TTFF to give it back it prominence. yeh right!!!!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:02:35 AM »
I hear you. Directv wanted to do half time entertainment and giveaways, but when they approached TTFF they were told they have to pay a fee. I understand TTFF want to earn income, but they have to think ahead.
Let businesses support the occasion and when people hear it was a big party, maybe next year sponsors will approach TTFF to sponsor.

In my opinion, too many people in business (and football should be a business) look at earning a fast buck today rather than building a sustainable income for the future.

Someone once said "give a man a fish and he''ll eat today. Give him a fishing rod and he'll eat forever"

Unfortunately, too many businesses think "Give me a fishing rod and I could sell it and buy a fish and a fete ticket"

TTFF have to wise up and build support. They had the opportunity of supporters getting free handouts and entertainment. Now they have no money from DIRECTV and nothing for the fans.

Madness!  Another man once said "The definition of stupidity is doing exactly the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:03:36 AM »
Well on the flip side of that, there are posters here who work for North East Stars and yet we can't get full updates on roster, incoming players, transfers, DOB, players numbers, team photo, correct speling of players names, team logo, line ups and subs, detail reports... etc....

Is Stars home field done yet ?? or are they still using the Larry Gomes ? Can we buy Stars official shirts online  ?

http://www.socawarriors.net/component/joomleague/?func=showPlayers&p=26&ttid=326
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:06:12 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 10:16:37 AM »
Well on the flip side of that, there are posters here who work for North East Stars and yet we can't get full updates on roster, incoming players, transfers, DOB, players numbers, team photo, correct speling of players names, team logo, line ups and subs, detail reports... etc....

Is Stars home field done yet ?? or are they still using the Larry Gomes ? Can we buy Stars official shirts online  ?

http://www.socawarriors.net/component/joomleague/?func=showPlayers&p=26&ttid=326

I hear you hoss. Hey, I never said it was a perfect world lol

And, no, North East doesn't have a home field as yet, and no, you can't buy merchandise because there is none! Another personal gripe of mine!!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »
tnt tnt tnt tnt tnt tnt
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 10:50:28 AM »
tnt tnt tnt tnt tnt tnt

LOL

But that is the answer right there. Is not just one entity it the WHOLE country.

That is just the way things are done, or not done as is the case usually.

They cyah promote shyte right, not even when it come to National Security  :devil:

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 10:56:30 AM »
tnt tnt tnt tnt tnt tnt

Ref. one of the main reasons football in T&T lacks money and support, shouldn't the shout be:
ttff ttff ttff ttff ttff ?

Anyway BM, ah know what you saying, just don't want some folks like Trinimassive to misunderstand and lose focus!  8)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 10:59:16 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 10:58:48 AM »
Its a tribal thing, without a doubt. The most passionate fans, unfortunately are the most agressive. In football as in love, passion often begets aggression. Not so much now, but in the 80's that meant fighting and pitch invasion. Now its a lot better, but the verbal aggression is still there. In my view, most Trinis aren't aggressive. Thats why you don't see too many fights outside bars etc. (plus the fact you don't wanna be shot!)

Trinis are lovers not fighters, but there must be a way to ignite pride. In this final you have clear divides. Sangre Grande vs San Juan. Whoever wins can claim bragging rights for the whole season.

It should be a classic case of two impoverished working class areas taking the opportunity of being proud of their towns. But its like no one cares.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »
Its a tribal thing, without a doubt. The most passionate fans, unfortunately are the most agressive. In football as in love, passion often begets aggression. Not so much now, but in the 80's that meant fighting and pitch invasion. Now its a lot better, but the verbal aggression is still there. In my view, most Trinis aren't aggressive. Thats why you don't see too many fights outside bars etc. (plus the fact you don't wanna be shot!)

Trinis are lovers not fighters, but there must be a way to ignite pride. In this final you have clear divides. Sangre Grande vs San Juan. Whoever wins can claim bragging rights for the whole season.

It should be a classic case of two impoverished working class areas taking the opportunity of being proud of their towns. But its like no one cares.

Well I from San Juan but I backin Grande
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
The exception proves the rule!!  You like those Man Utd supporters who live in Essex lol But at least you going to a match!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 11:15:38 AM »
The exception proves the rule!!  You like those Man Utd supporters who live in Essex lol But at least you going to a match!

Should say originally from San Juan but come SSFL iz ONLYYYYYY SAN JUANNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »
I love the way North East Stars running they club now, but no offence ..

Lets go Jabloteh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 11:25:49 AM »

I hear you hoss. Hey, I never said it was a perfect world lol

And, no, North East doesn't have a home field as yet, and no, you can't buy merchandise because there is none! Another personal gripe of mine!!
       Well then why always target one set of people,we are all to blame for what's going on because nobody have answers,we still experimenting and trying things that we see work for other organizations.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Go Sam!! :wavetowel:  :cheers:

But North East gonna mash yuh all up  :challenge:  :duel:

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 11:33:46 AM »
Mi nablestring bury in San Juan and that's where my heart will always be,it does not matter who playing once you representing the area i'm there with you,SAN JUAN all the way tonight,i know how that trophy feels i held and lifted already.

Offline Star Child

• Hero Warrior
  • Pure Pipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 11:36:40 AM »

Plain talk is the best way. Handle them Flex, they complaining the way things is in T&T football but they doing the same.

Lets go Jab Jab Jabloteh !!

Terry Fenwick is my boy !!!!

Jabloteh missing 4 top defenders, Roberts Primus, Murray, Russell and Sheldon Bateau, so we go see, but ah still backing them.

North East Guyanese getting nuff licks.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 11:55:30 AM »
Star Child I hope I can boast that you got mashed up here tomorrow!!

But I take offence to your comment about North East complaining and doing nothing. You're obviously out of touch. Check the Pro League site dude. No one here said North East were perfect, but I sure as hell know they're trying to make a difference.

Cup or no cup tonite, North East are the team of the season. Discuss!!

Offline rastarocket7

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 12:35:56 PM »
Today is F.A. Trophy final day. It is supposedly the oldest and most sought after trophy in T&T. Certainly, in most other countries the F.A. cup/trophy is the biggest prize.

But you wouldn't think that here. Todays Guardian had a feature on page A74, todays Express (normally quite good with coverage) had nothing. It did have a full page preview of tomorrows premier league matches! Haven't seen Newsday, so can't comment on their coverage.

The thing is, if the press don't get behind football and excite the people, no one will come. In England, newspapers give over whole sections to the FA Cup final. You would think here, at least papers would give a page.

I'm sure if a newspaper did a feature they could obtain sponsorship via advertising for the section.

Get comments from celebrity fans (NES have JW & Ria Ramnarine, sure JAB have some too)

I would then approach sponsors to pay, say $1,000 each to wish team well and place an ad: JAB - Blink (not sure who else) NES - Japs Fried Chicken, DIRECTV, Carib, MaltaCarib, Toyota, Sports & Games, Lotto, Cher-Mere, Haagen Dazs, McCain, Ocean Spray

Instead, the back page of Guardian has a large picture of winning cricket captains and the Express has a full back page covering West Indies defeat vs Sri Lanka.

I understand that there is an opinion that ProLeague etc is not big here, but how can it be without the support of the media. One feeds the other. The FA Trophy is one day a year, surely cricket can be moved for one day?

Carnival, fetes and concerts are marketed superbly. Yes, they make big money, but football could host an event that breaks even at least. A new mindset is needed from Govt down to the ProLeague clubs, including the supporters, media and TTFF and administrators.
Today should be the biggest day in the domestic football calendar, but instead its not even mentioned in the Express! 

well said sir. its a damn shame this forum has better ideas than the people who are actually runnin shit

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2011, 01:12:13 PM »

well said sir. its a damn shame this forum has better ideas than the people who are actually runnin shit

Its not a problem with us having ideas...the problem is that the administrators are too dumb or ignorent to listen to supporters

Offline rickstaa

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2011, 01:48:59 PM »
Trinidad is ah party nation not ah football powerhouse :beermug:

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 02:47:52 PM »
They need to throw a WASA fete. Best Post for the day- T&T is a party nation not a football power.
 Well If Brazil can be both why hot WE.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 10:32:20 PM »
One possible reason; the diversification of funds  to those who wish to see you down and laugh  when  yuh at yuh weakest: Could these funds be put to use in places like Lavantille,  Tobago or Toco for support of programing and  to supply those who are suffering  to be part of any kind of football in TnT

Warner to aid Jamaica school.
T&T Newsday Reports.
Monday, January 17 2011

FIFA vice-president Jack Austin Warner has pledged US6,000 annually for the next five years to the Windward Road Primary and Junior High School in Kingston, Jamaica.

Warner, who visited the school on Friday last, asked the management staff to spend some of the money on sport.

He added that after the five-year period was over he would review all that was done and if satisfied, the school may benefit from another five years of financial assistance.

Warner addressed the standard five class and told them his life story to demonstrate that all things are possible.

The Trinidad and Tobago Works and Transport Minister explained that he rose from humble beginnings and never believed he would one day visit 170 countries as a football administrator.

Also president of CONCACAF, Warner was accompanied by Cheryl Blackman, Permanent Secretary in his ministry along with Caribbean Airlines Limited (CAL) chairman George Nicholas III.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 03:18:43 AM »
In one of my post I said, the TTFF always screwing up football. The FA was always a big tournament in TT until jack and his cabal relegate the tournament to a minor competition. You mean to say they could not make Toyota sponsor the FA instead of the Toyota cup for the select few teams. Is up to TTFF to give it back it prominence. yeh right!!!!

I was fortunate enough to be with a Hurricanes team that made a run in the FA Cup in in mid 70's. To see the tournament decline is sad indeed. As a matter of fact, to see the sad state of the sport in general is heart breaking.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline D#_1_TrInBa

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
I think our stadium are oversized compared to our population...build a well proportioned stadium...like 10 000 or 12 000 put the supporters in...and see the result...

It's a all new championship...

D#1

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 12:04:38 PM »
I think our stadium are oversized compared to our population...build a well proportioned stadium...like 10 000 or 12 000 put the supporters in...and see the result...

It's a all new championship...

D#1

We cant even full d Marvin Lee....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »

I was fortunate enough to be with a Hurricanes team that made a run in the FA Cup in in mid 70's. To see the tournament decline is sad indeed. As a matter of fact, to see the sad state of the sport in general is heart breaking.

Hurricains was a good team, especially when they played in SFA. I remeber them with Leroy, Sutherland, Mervyn Crawford, I think Wayne Smith also, But them, like Juniors, Valiants, greyhound Dovers gone thru. How sad. The tournament decline because the ttff allowing it to decline.

Offline D#_1_TrInBa

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 06:06:50 PM »
The truth is waggonists make our train go...once the train arrived...no one to jump in again... >:(

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
The truth is waggonists make our train go...once the train arrived...no one to jump in again... >:(

???
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>