April 19, 2024, 03:01:16 PM

Author Topic: This Guardian headline To Me Is So Misleading. De Worse....  (Read 1405 times)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
This Guardian headline To Me Is So Misleading. De Worse....
« on: February 06, 2011, 03:18:02 AM »
$20m price tag for Soca Monarch

Published: Sun, 2011-02-06 19:00
Michelle Loubon
PM Kamla Persad-Bissessar, left, is greeted by CPF's William Munroe. Photo: David Wears

Chairman of Caribbean Prestige Foundation (CPF) William Munroe says the entire BMobile International Soca Monarch and Play Whe Groovy Soca Monarch competitions 2011 cost about $20 million. Soca connoisseurs look forward to the stellar event dubbed Fantastic Friday (March 4) on the Carnival calendar when a power soca monarch and groovy soca monarch are declared. Meanwhile, Gregory Fernandez, Munroe adviser, Kareena Sukhu, office operations manager, and the team are working assiduously at fine-tuning the product. On Tuesday, the Soca Monarch contest was officially launched at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, Wrightson Road, Port-of-Spain, and is billed to be under the patronage of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

Guardian Media Ltd is the official media sponsor of the competitions. Prominent soca personalities including Machel Montano, Shurwayne Winchester, Keith Sutherland (Ajala), veteran soca bard Edwin Ayoung and the young and upcoming Mr Renzo (Laurenzo Gonzalez) made it into the semifinal slots scheduled for the Arima Velodrome next Sunday.  Munroe said: “The overall production starts at about $19.5 million. But it could get to about $20 million. We cannot do anything mediocre. It must be a first-class presentation.”

The budget covers security, entertainment, stage, design, lights, advertising, celebrities’ tickets and hotel accommodation.  Munroe explained that although the burden becomes more onerous between February and March, the office at Prince Street, Port-of-Spain, is tasked all year round. “The office never shuts down.  When you are doing a show of that magnitude, you have to keep working round the clock. We are always working and planning. We have to attract stakeholders like the Government and sponsors.”
During the year, Munroe visits Caribbean countries such as St Vincent, Antigua, Barbados, Dominica and St Lucia to whip up support for the event which promotes Caribbean integration via music, song and dance.

“If you look at my budget, it is a lot. I have to travel to the islands.  It costs to put on a quality event.”
One of the highlights of the event is the celebrity panel. Munroe said: “It costs about $250,000 in  tickets. We have to pay for security and programmes. We have to pay for judges to come in from abroad. We have to house them and pay them.” Prior to Fantastic Friday, there are semifinals which also cost. Fernandez agreed there was an exorbitant cost involved in producing the event. He added: “It is like producing a movie. Plenty work takes place. “If it’s a production as large as that, it costs a lot of money.”

All types of employment

While artistes like Erphaan Alves and Roger Joseph showcase their talents, Soca Monarch generates employment for “about 7,000 to 8,000 citizens.”   “We employ a lot of people. There is the spin-off from Soca Monarch.  We have all types of employment besides the office. We do the prelims and the senior soca monarch.  A lot of people get work. “The more obvious people are the actors and the performers who are the supporting acts for the artistes.

But those who ensure the event’s smooth operations are much sought after.”  Munroe said: “We have the people working with the artistes.  The vendors...the gate keepers...the ticket printers.  Those who work with the celebrities. We have the taxi drivers and the artistes themselves. We have the drivers. “We have those who work with the sound system. We have to employ stage managers and designers. When you check it down the line it is about thousands to sell and print tickets.”

Promoting soca tourism

When Munroe spoke at the launch, he spoke about the progression into soca tourism.  Apart from its beautiful Maracas and Manzanilla beaches, T&T is viewed as the Caribbean mecca for soca.  He said: “Remember, artistes are coming to Trinidad with their entourage. The ministers are coming to see their representatives and support their ‘homeboys’.  They have to stay in hotels and guest houses. They have to stay with the taxi drivers and the vendors. “Besides, when they are leaving they may pick up a souvenir. It is because of this grand soca monarch initiative.”

He compared the Soca Monarch participation to cricket and the support garnered by the Australian team.
“It is just like cricket. Because of the initiative of the Australian team and the support it gets, the hotels are properly booked. They have their loyal supporters and followers.” He also thanked Persad-Bissessar for her attendance at the launch. “I have to thank her for her interest. Much respect to the PM.” Seizing the opportunity, Munroe also thanked Culture Minister Winston “Gypsy” Peters for taking Carnival back to the Savannah stage.

“I have to compliment the minister for bringing Carnival back to the Savannah.  That was a brilliant move.”  Munroe also extended best wishes to the complement of performers carded.  Making reference to Persad-Bissessar’s trouncing former prime ministers, Patrick Manning and Basdeo Panday, he said each performer should try to prove him/herself on Fantastic Friday. “Look at Kamla...She threw out two prime ministers. There are no automatic winners. Every soca monarch winner proved themselves on stage on Fantastic Friday.  “Look at Shadow, he came with Stranger. Shadow was no teenager. Look at Bunji, Fay Ann and Iwer. They were all winners in soca. They all have to prove themselves. Everybody who got in is a threat to the other.”

Public giveaways

The Soca Monarch score says: “Press your clothes and get ready/ready.” When patrons slip through the gates, Munroe said they expect giveaways like finger lights and miscellaneous items. “We are giving away $40 of lights. They look nice on hats.  We are giving away free top-up for the first 10,000 buyers. We will be giving away free Lotto. We will be giving away treats, bandannas and cups,” said Munroe. “You have to walk with a small bag,” he added.

Energy competition

Another initiative was paying people to party. Munroe explained that if a posse parties heartily all night long they just might win the “Energy Competition.” A breakdown lists the first prize as $25,000; second,  $15,000; third, $10,000 and fourth as $8,000. “If you have the biggest posse, you could win an extra $10,000.  You  register at the gate.  There are some people who come with 30 and 40 people.” Like a magician who knows all the tricks, Munroe said: “We are paying the same night.”

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/02/06/20m-price-tag-soca-monarch
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:22:04 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

truetrini

Re: This Guardian headline To Me Is So Misleading. De Worse....
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 07:49:30 AM »
hahahahahahahahahahaha

you is de best...or may be de worse?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:40:36 AM »
lawd have mercy ;D ::) aye leh me go from here eh.........it too early
I pity the fool....

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:10:53 AM »
but wha de ???  :o
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 12:24:39 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Wow!!what de jail I  seein here
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 12:26:23 PM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 12:50:41 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Doh study dem... dey juss cyah unnerstan' de heights  :mackdaddy:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 01:18:16 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahaha

Doh study dem... dey juss cyah unnerstan' de heights  :mackdaddy:

*chuckles* 
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>