March 28, 2024, 05:40:47 AM

Author Topic: Sheldon Bateau Thread  (Read 49447 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sheldon Bateau Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »
He played 90' today in a 2-1 win.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 27, 2020, 02:01:47 PM »
Bottom of the table clash in progress. About 15 to 20' in. No sign of our player. Neither field nor bench.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 13, 2021, 05:32:18 AM »
WATCH: Shaun Fuentes one on one with Sheldon Bateau

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ahxPQ3qhHaE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ahxPQ3qhHaE</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 13, 2021, 06:59:52 AM »
Great stuff, Shaun. On point.

There was one comment by Bateau that I wished was followed up. It was his opinion about the financial reasons for not playing. I would have liked the player to flesh that out for clarity.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2021, 07:29:50 PM »
He played today on a pitch with a sprinkling of snow. Started. Was off the pitch by the 10th minute due to injury. It may be less serious than it sounds. Hopefully that's the case. 1-0 victory for the team.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 19, 2021, 11:15:41 AM »
He played today on a pitch with a sprinkling of snow. Started. Was off the pitch by the 10th minute due to injury. It may be less serious than it sounds. Hopefully that's the case. 1-0 victory for the team.

He had a scan of the adductors. Indications are he will be back to action in a matter of days.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 19, 2021, 06:32:29 PM »

He had a scan of the adductors. Indications are he will be back to action in a matter of days.
He musbe did catspraddle then.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2021, 11:13:20 AM »
Defender Sheldon Bateau has made his 100th appearance for Belgian club, KV Mechelen. Bateau achieved the milestone in a 2-1 win over K Beerschot VA. He played the full 90 minutes.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 14, 2021, 12:38:58 PM »
 :chilling: :chilling:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 14, 2021, 11:23:14 PM »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2021, 12:51:05 PM »
Sad to say that he has not improved as a defender.  :'(

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2021, 03:22:14 PM »

pull, why You say so. Did You see play in that game?

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2021, 03:41:26 PM »

Can’t be possible, otherwise he would have been out long before. That isn’t I league.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »

Can’t be possible, otherwise he would have been out long before. That isn’t I league.

Definitely not I league defending.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2021, 03:37:20 PM »

Not having played for a long stretch didn't help. Couldn't have helped.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 17, 2021, 09:26:09 AM »

Not having played for a long stretch didn't help. Couldn't have helped.
you missed my point mate. I meant that he hasn’t improved from youth level to the present. I remember when marvin was at youth level he was slated to be the next shaka, the future looked bright in that regard with him and jan exceeding expectations at the youth level,

but as the years rolled by their careers we’re going no where and their development seemed arrested as they attracted no big clubs or interest from a mediocre league in europe, well at least jan did but he refused to impress, same with mikel williams, shadon, Jerrel brito, atulla, corn curls, kendal jagdeosingh, danial cyrus and jovin, in reality only two of our prospective talents really blossomed into top players, Kevin  molino and Kerron Cummings who’s career was short lived due to trinidad envy and green eye f**kery.

My point being these guys did not put in the work. they did not spend anytime at all working hard on their trade studying how to improve their game, and you saw it every time they played how they digressed little by little making silly text book errors with the poor marking, errant passes, getting caught out of position and being totally out play by their counterparts like albert ellis and josey altidore, two mediocre who ran through our defense like a knife through cake, and old man roman torres shutting dow our attackers stashing them in his hip pocket for 90 plus minutes.

which leads me to believe that these trini players only see football as a means to an end and not their first love like other top footballers do, who’s relationship with the game blossom as they continue to work on and cherish their craft over the years turning out some spectacular performances. what can I say, it has been a very disappointing decade and a half after the World Cup which has been a curse instead of a blessing in disguise.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 09:48:39 AM by pull stones »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2021, 05:46:09 PM »
T&T players to get match fees in 60 days time.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

A timeframe of between 30 and 60 days has been given for payment of match fees for T&T players, following the recent FIFA World Cup Qualifying matches against Guyana and Puerto Rico on March 25 and March 28 respectively.

T&T defender Sheldon Bateau who plays for KV Mechelen in the Belgian First Division, revealed this amidst ongoing talks between players and coaches to foster better communication within the team, as well as ensure better play on the field. Guardian Media Sports was told that a meeting of the players and coaches was held recently to forge a way forward as a unit, as differences in team philosophies and coach instructions have posed a threat to the team.

Bateau, 30, who is considered a key asset to coach Terry Fenwick's unit said yesterday: "It's not a matter of how the team is playing, but rather the instructions from the coach, because as players we always want to have clear instructions, but it's not easy with the short space of time that we have. So it's nothing major to say that players are unhappy or anything like that."

"Any dissatisfaction we have, we will speak to the staff, it's nothing to put to the public or anything like that, it's just minor things everyone would have with different experiences and different philosophies from different clubs. So it was just minor stuff between players and coach.

We basically just spoke to the coaches before and after the games, on things we can basically improve on. Even yesterday, I made contact with the team doctor to get some feedback on how things went," Bateau explained.

The over-lapping defender who found the nets in the Soca Warriors' 3-0 triumph over Guyana in the Dominican Republic, believes a lot needs to be done if the country is to qualify for the World Cup in Qatar in 2022.

After a win 3-0 and a 1-1 tie against Puerto Rico last month, regional rivals St Kitts/Nevis leads the group (F) with an unblemished record of six points from two games.

T&T are in the second position on four points while the Guyanese are in third on three points. Only the winner of the group will advance to the second round of the qualifiers. T&T will next play the Bahamas on June 5 before a crucial meeting with St Kitts/Nevis three days later on June 8, expectedly at home in T&T.

Meanwhile, despite a promise of match fees before the games (Guyana and Puerto Rico) by the chairman of the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee Robert Hadad, the players are yet to receive their payments, Bateau, a graduate of Fatima College has admitted.

The talented defender said while they do not want to put too much pressure on the normalisation committee, they are hoping for payment soon. "We ain't get that as yet, but for the USA game, the players got their monies. So we're looking at a time frame of maybe 30 to 60 days for payment, but we don't want to be too hard on them because we know they have things to sort out, and they definitely understand the cry of the players also, from what we went through in the past," Bateau said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 20, 2021, 02:27:08 PM »
WATCH: Defender Sheldon Bateau scores the equalizer in KV Mechelen's 2-2 draw with KV Oostende

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9IXt8bDumNY?start=138" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9IXt8bDumNY?start=138</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2021, 01:13:14 PM »
Bateau have good attacking instincts and does carry ah ball like ah champ, yet I have never noticed our coaches "actively" encouraging him to carry the ball or make those diagonal blindside runs he always score or create chances from, Between Hart and Fenwick he musbe be score about 5 goals with dem kinda runs
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2021, 04:29:06 PM »
WATCH: Defender Sheldon Bateau reflects on Trinidad and Tobago's early exit from 2022 World Cup qualification

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a_-w-dvLHRI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a_-w-dvLHRI</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #200 on: June 08, 2021, 07:44:10 AM »
T&T defender Bateau reflects on failed World Cup qualifying campaign: Warriors without Pride.
T&T Newsday Reports.

EXPERIENCED T&T central defender Sheldon Bateau has bemoaned the lack of pride within the men’s national football team, as they look to conclude their disastrous 2022 FIFA World Cup Concacaf Zone Group F campaign on Tuesday against group winners St Kitts/Nevis at the Felix Sanchez Stadium, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

This game will kick off at 5 pm (TT time).

The World Cup dream for the Terry Fenwick-coached T&T team ended on Saturday when they were held to a goalless draw by hosts Bahamas at Nassau. With that result, St Kitts/Nevis remained atop the five-team group with a perfect nine points from three games, followed by T&T (five points), Puerto Rico (four points), Guyana (three points) and Bahamas (one point).

Only the group winners (St Kitts/Nevis) will advance to the second round, which will comprise three respective home-and-away matches, featuring the winners of the six first round groups, on June 12 and 15.

In an interview with TT Football Association (TTFA) media officer Shaun Fuentes on Monday, in the team’s hotel in the Dominican Republic, Bateau reflected on the apparent mood within the squad after Saturday’s match.

“My feeling is that it affected the senior guys more than other guys, maybe because they have time to work towards another campaign,” said the 30-year-old. “Maybe I’m wrong in my judgement but that’s the overall feeling I have that, with the senior guys, that’s maybe our last chance.”

He continued, “Where I came from (as a rookie within the squad), we had to train in a white t-shirt and we had to earn our red t-shirt. I think part of the problem is that a lot of the players now just coming into the team and getting a red t-shirt. When it comes so easily, it’s like they don’t appreciate the fact that they’re playing for the national team.

“We’re in a World Cup campaign. So that sense of importance, it’s not really there. It’s almost as if it’s just another game. That’s not the case. With that general feeling, for some players they have more time to bounce back and, for others, it’s a really big disappointment because we’re at the end of our roads.”

Bateau, who plays for KV Mechelen in Belgium, acknowledged that the T&T players will have to accept some blame for their exit from the qualifiers.

“We had a lot of questions before the game, we have even more after the game,” he said. “As players, we need to accept some sort of responsibility for the result. Regardless of the circumstances, we are all professionals. At the end of the day, we had to do better.”

Asked if he ever envisioned seeing T&T eliminated in the first round, Bateau replied, “No way, not so early in the (qualifiers). I honestly believed we would get past Bahamas, with the quality players we have, and then we would go into the game against St Kitts with a fighting chance. It’s really disappointing. We have no excuse.

“I think, nine out of ten times, we would win against them easily,” he added. “We had quite a bit of chances in the game and we had to take those chances. We have some guys that can still continue at the rebuilding phase of the game because that’s where we need to go now. We have the Gold Cup to look forward to and it’s just about taking it one step at a time.”

He called on his teammates to show some pride, in Tuesday’s dead-rubber affair.

“We have to have some sort of pride as players,” said Bateau. “That’s basically it. We’ll go into the game against St Kitts to get three points. The result is not going to change anything and the damage is done, but we have the Gold Cup playoffs to look towards. We’re not sure what’s the solution towards preparing for the (St Kitts/Nevis) game. It’s just to get past the game (on Tuesday). The goal is to give a good showing and salvage some sort of pride.”

Asked how he would motivate himself for the St Kitts/Nevis game, Bateau responded, “To be honest, there (are) so many things against us as players, mentally, physically, financially. Playing for the national team takes a lot out of you. We sacrifice a lot. I’m still looking forward to the game (on Tuesday). It’s still about pride.

“What the future holds, I don’t know. We have a lot to fix. If these things aren’t fixed, it’s difficult to continue under these circumstances. There has to be a silver lining somewhere and we need to get to that point.”

In related news, the trio of Danish-born goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup, Canadian-born defender Luke Singh and midfielder Jomal Williams will not join the team for Tuesday’s game, as previously announced by the TTFA.

WATCH: Defender Sheldon Bateau reflects on Trinidad and Tobago's early exit from 2022 World Cup qualification

Watch Levi Garcia : It hurts but we have to keep going

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 07:50:42 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bateau: I will not play until I receive outstanding $$
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2021, 06:42:39 AM »
Bateau: I will not play until I receive outstanding $$
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

The threat of legal action and or players withholding their services, now face the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee of the T&T Football Association, after the country's senior players did not get match fees that were promised to them yesterday.

A Guardian Media Sports report on Wednesday by an anonymous player, was met with agitation as only some players received monies that represented one match only.

The players were expected to receive payment for the World Cup qualifiers against the Bahamas and St Kitts/Nevis, as well as for the CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifier against French Guiana, played in Fort Lauderdale, USA in July.

But it seems that the payments registered only with some of the players' bank accounts. It is understood that some players took to social media to vent their frustration, labelling our report as fake news.

However, both goalkeeper Marvin Phillip and defender Sheldon Bateau called a hastily arranged meeting among the senior players and confirmed that only some players were paid.

According to Phillip: "This is what we're trying to understand here now because it looks like the players who are receiving salaries locally and internationally, were not paid anything, so it looks like just a handful of us was paid and for one game that is, and that's the French Guiana game.

Amiel Mohammed, the General Secretary of the TT Football Association contacted me this morning, well he sent a message stating that they're having some technical issues, but normally if you're having technical issues it wouldn't be that much. It had issues before and it was about two or three players."

According to Phillip, payment was actually made to the different banks on Friday.

Following the meeting of the players, Bateau who plays for Mechelen in Belgium said he will not play until he gets his money: "We're at a point now where you can only ask so many times. When you look at what's happening in the world today it's a job, it's a business, and the whole idea of football being a sport, it's time we move away from that. Nobody wants to have that open discussion.

That's a discussion we need to have with the local guys because the foreign guys would be in a different situation to the local guys, we could only suggest what actions they can take. I personally would not play any games without receiving the outstanding money, but everyone is in a different situation, but that's something I would suggest."

Bateau, 30, a graduate of Fatima College, is not expected to stand alone in his stance, as he said other players may take legal action. Phillip said he will continue his battle for promised payments but noted that other senior players are considering their next step.

By virtue of not playing in the Gold Cup, Bateau will not be paid for that tournament but he was expected to have been paid for the World Cup qualifiers. Payment for the World Cup qualifiers was expected to come within 60 days and for the Gold Cup, 30 days.

Guardian Media Sports reached out to Robert Hadad, chairman of the normalisation committee and Mohammed, both via a Whatsapp message but got no responses.

Meanwhile, Phillip, 37, and who made his national debut 14 years ago, explained that it is the treatment dished out to him and his players that upsets them.

"It's the disrespect and lies we cannot take, we're fed up with that now because it was a promise. Since last week Monday you promised everything will be dealt with by Wednesday, today is the following Wednesday. They even said on Friday that both games were paid to whatever bank we're with. They said it would hit the account Monday, but if the World Cup qualifiers were paid on Friday then why it's only the French Guiana payment showed up in certain accounts on Monday," Phillip concluded.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2021, 10:44:00 AM »
 >:( ??? :cursing: :banginghead:

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2021, 03:46:32 PM »
Can someone explain why is it  the People given the responsibility to take charge of our football  ( namely the normalisation committee ) continue to treat our players so disrespectfully ! Seriously it's beyond ridiculous at this stage .... I'm not sure disgust can be used to describe  the current situation ! When will the madness stop?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2021, 11:25:28 AM »
WATCH: Sheldon Bateau's long range pass sets up KV Mechelen's second goal in their 2-0 win over OH Leuven.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Eu4akjcGqZw?start=77" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Eu4akjcGqZw?start=77</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2022, 11:55:55 AM »
Defender Sheldon Bateau has signed a two and a half year contract with Turkish 1. Lig club, Samsunspor Kulübü Derneği.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 10, 2022, 02:16:32 AM »
Lehwe see who paying attention:

Another NT player and former Fatima College baller played at Samsunspor. Name the player.

To draw a 'VB' --- Tallman to the rescue only after (a) a couple posters have weighed in or (b) the clock has ticked sufficiently on getting a credible response.

I could have dragged out the question by providing the Fatima hint later, but there it is. Go for it. :beermug:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 02:18:51 AM by asylumseeker »

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2022, 11:12:13 AM »

Another NT player and former Fatima College baller played at Samsunspor. Name the player.

To draw a 'VB' --- Tallman to the rescue only after (a) a couple posters have weighed in or (b) the clock has ticked sufficiently on getting a credible response.

I could have dragged out the question by providing the Fatima hint later, but there it is. Go for it. :beermug:
the DR ?
add: easy search doh   :laugh:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2022, 01:47:16 PM »

the DR ?
add: easy search doh   :laugh:

Yuh eh call no name. Like yuh hedging.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2022, 07:20:22 PM »

Cyah really name too many of us who play in Turkey, so I'll assume Darryl Roberts without checking.

1]; } ?>