March 28, 2024, 06:03:05 AM

Author Topic: Sheldon Bateau Thread  (Read 49448 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sheldon Bateau Thread
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:22:57 PM »
Football’s Future: Sheldon Bateau.
TTFF Kickoff Newsletter.

Not many players can boast of having appeared in two FIFA World Cups then follow that up with the opportunity of a lifetime to lead their country to another Under 20 World Cup.

Sheldon Bateau, the captain of the National Under 20 Men’s team is a player on a mission, a unique on at that – To captain a T&T team at a FIFA Under 20 World Cup and to play in a senior FIFA World Cup.

Too ambitious? Not really! At age 16 Sheldon was a member of the T&T team that participated at the 2007 FIFA Under 17 World Cup in South Korea.

He appeared in T&T’s closing group encounter against Germany and two years later he was also instrumental in helping the T&T Under 20 team book its place for the 2009 FIFA Under 20 World Cup in Egypt, also appearing during the Group matches for the Zoran Vranes-coached team.

This time around, he’s reunited with Vranes, who has given him the responsibility of the captaincy as the junior “Soca Warriors” go in search of a second successive appearance at the Under 20 World Cup in Colombia.

“It’s been an overwhelming feeling for me over the past few months being chosen as Under 20 captain and it’s a responsibility that I carry with great pride.” Bateau said after a rigorous work out with his teammates recently.

He’s set to travel to Kansas in late January to try out with American Major League Soccer club Sporting Kansas. That’s a far cry from where Sheldon came from but his journey is very similar to the upbringing of so many great talents that have graced the footballing world.

“I started playing football at the age of 5. My coaching school was ‘sweating’ in the St. Ann’s Hospital or “the mad house” with the older fellas in the area.

At that time I was playing for Super star Rangers, then I transferred to San Juan Jabloteh at the age of 14. I played for the youth team for two and a half years and then moved to the professional team,” he explained.

Sheldon also played for Rosary Boys RC where he was captain of the school team and also led the Belmont Secondary School at the Under 13 level before agreeing to a transfer to the more prestigious Fatima College.

He actually made his debut for the Senior Intercol team while in Form 2 and then enjoyed success the following year (2005) as Fatima went on to capture the North Zone and National Intercol titles.

He captained Fatima College between 2006 and 2008 and was selected as one of the top three players in the Second Schools League in his final season.

Sheldon is not the usual player in training. Most family members of players observe the training from the sidelines and they much prefer to sit in the stands during an actual game.

This lad though, trains at every National Team session under the watchful eyes of his father Gilbert Bateau. Gilbert is the National U-20 team trainer and also held the same position for the teams that participated at the Under 17 and Under 20 World Cups in 2007 and 2009.

“Well it’s a huge confidence booster knowing that my father is always there with the team but at the same time we both keep it professional in terms of him treating me like any other player and I treating him as the trainer and not my father.

But he is the main inspiration in my life on and off the pitch and with his experience from being around football for so many years, he always keeps me on the road to improvement,” the junior Bateau boasted.

His father’s constant drilling has kept him ahead of things especially when it comes to proper physical fitness. “On a daily basis I run around the Queen’s Park Savannah at 5 in the morning, followed by running the Lady Chancellor Hill and all that is done on my days away from club or national duties.

At times I have club training at 7 in the morning and then national training in the evening which can be quite tough at times but that is what it would take to play at the top level,” Sheldon said easily.

He went on to recall his days playing in the “mad house” up to the point of his greatest moment in the game to date.

“I remember playing football at the Mad House and I ran up and down the field without touching the ball because I was the smallest player on the field.

I remember the first time I played for T&T, it was a CFU game at the National Stadium and there were a lot of people there and I was really nervous and 5 minutes into the game I felt like 80 minutes had gone already because I was so excited and nervous at the same time. I also would never forget the day we qualified for the Under 20 World Cup.

It was an amazing feeling and it was also the highpoint of my career thus far. However the most memorable moment in my young career was the under 17 qualifying game in Jamaica with the lone goal coming from Kevin Molino to make us qualify for our first Youth World and that has been my hardest game ever to date.”

Sheldon sees himself as part of history in the making. He wants to someday play for Manchester United. With all that rich history on his side already, there must be a recipe worth the while and he hopes that other upcoming youngsters can follow his words.

“For the up and coming players…just set your goals and work hard towards them, because nothing good comes easily in this day and age. It’s easy to get caught up in the wrong crowd but to be somebody you have to make sacrifices and not because you live in the ‘GHETTO’ means you can’t achieve something in life because I have lived in the ‘GHETTO’ all my life and so have most of my teammates and we don’t let that affect us negatively.

Instead we use it as a way of working hard every day to one day help those that are not as gifted or as talented,” Sheldon said. He will lead the T&T team in qualifying action in April when they come up against the best in Concacaf for one of four places at the World Cup in Colombia which runs from July20-August 20, 2011. Good luck to Sheldon and the Boys!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 02:36:28 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Football’s Future: Sheldon Bateau
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 09:36:25 PM »
St anns is the ghetto now? ppl real ghettoising trinidad now? when i was there the only ghetto's where in sealots, the betham and behind the bridge, now st anns which i know as ah nice community become ah ghetto. they instilling ah real down beat depressive culture amongst the young ppl in T&T yes.

god help us.

BTW tallman, what position does he play? i would say right full back, but then again i could be wrong.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 10:44:31 PM »
It depends - Where in St Anns you Live?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 10:48:41 PM »
St anns is the ghetto now? ppl real ghettoising trinidad now? when i was there the only ghetto's where in sealots, the betham and behind the bridge, now st anns which i know as ah nice community become ah ghetto. they instilling ah real down beat depressive culture amongst the young ppl in T&T yes.

god help us.

long time I ent agree with something you say but this one deserve a :beermug:

ps. mih barber is a Bateau from up St. Anns too. I have to ask him if they related...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:52:04 PM by Midknight »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
Big up a former Fatima player!
best of luck!

who TT playing int heir group?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bateau on trial in Holland
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 06:19:03 AM »
Bateau on trial in Holland
ttproleague.com

Former San Juan Jabloteh defender Sheldon Bateau is currently in Amsterdam, Holland with trials set at three clubs during a two week period.

This was revealed by North East Stars head coach Angus Eve, who signed the 21 year old central defender ahead of the 2012-2013 TT Pro League season.

“We have Sheldon Bateau on a series of trials. Three teams in Holland to be exact,” said Eve. “And whichever one of the teams wants to take him, we would allow him the move because we are trying to develop players to move on.”

Bateau, who played for T&T various youth levels including the recent U23s, and at previous FIFA U17 and U20 World Cups, left Trinidad last Friday. Eve preferred not to name the clubs, but confirmed that they were all Amsterdam clubs. Eve is very familiar with Bateau having worked with the defender both at club and national levels.

Eve said that he is very hopeful Bateau would earn himself a contract.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bateau on trial in Holland
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 06:43:24 AM »
Good luck to the youth. Its good to see clubs supporting players to achieve bigger and better!  :beermug:

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:22:21 AM »
Respect to Angus Eve for this.

Love Bateau attitude but he needs development.

Good luck youth.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 09:25:14 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 10:43:35 AM »
As far as I know the only full professional footbal team in Amsterdam is Ajax. No Eerste teams hail from Amsterdam. That leaves team playing in the Hoofdclasse, the so-called Sunday leagues, which is amateur/semi-pro. Either way good luck to Bateau. He more than deserves a chance to showcase his skill and leadership ability.

Edit: They have a new 3rd tier system in Holland and are actively recruiting for players. That is probably where he will sign
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:54:48 AM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »
Nice going Sheldon. Player with a lot to offer. A little fine tuning and he good to go as a fixture for T&T.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
Nice going Sheldon. Player with a lot to offer. A little fine tuning and he good to go as a fixture for T&T.

CO-SIGNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 07:22:54 AM »
Ive only seen Bateau three times (U20s, Pan American, U23) but ive never really been impressed with him. But he was playing in the midfield during two of those tournaments and as a right back in the U23s. So maybe he was just playing out of position, or maybe i just dont have an eye for scouting talent. Anyway there are multiple reports that he was be trialing with FC Twente this week.

FC Twente this week Sheldon Bateau trial. The 21-year-old central defender from Trinidad and Tobago Tuesday trained along with the initial selection of coach Steve McClaren. Bateau played the past three seasons for San Juan Jabloteh in his homeland.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.twentefans.nl/nieuws/7735/sheldon-bateau-op-proef-bij-fc-twente.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsheldon%2Bbateau%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26tbs%3Dqdr:d%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=6ogzUPagN-fH0QHU6IDADQ&ved=0CDkQ7gEwAA

Caribbean Practice Player Twente
At FC Twente runs this week Sheldon Bateau internship. The youth international of Trinidad and Tobago is at home under contract with San Juan Jabloteh. Bateau (21) is a central defender and youth international for his country.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=nl&u=http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/4562/Voetbal/article/detail/3304087/2012/08/21/TT-15-clubs-informeren-naar-Guidetti-ook-Marseille-wil-Theo-Janssen.dhtml&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dsheldon%2Bbateau%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26tbs%3Dqdr:d%26prmd%3Dimvns&sa=X&ei=6ogzUPagN-fH0QHU6IDADQ&ved=0CFUQ7gEwBQ

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2012, 01:55:04 PM »
http://www.goal.com/nl/news/213/eredivisie/2012/08/22/3322857/boyata-en-bateau-opties-voor-opvolging-douglas?source=breakingnews

'Boyata and Bateau options for follow Douglas'
If the Brazilian Douglas FC Twente Fulham trades is Dedryck Boyata from Manchester City possible successor. Sheldon Bateau also is mentioned

Boyata is a 21-year-old Belgian central defender who is under contract at Manchester City on loan last season and played for Bolton Wanderers. He may go to the Citizens and is the intended successor of Douglas at FC Twente. For the long term, Sheldon Bateau, youth international of Trinidad & Tobago, called. Twente player already on the floor, because he is on trial in Enschede. The 1.91 meters long central defender impressed with his impressive physical and falls, like Douglas five years ago, described as a rough diamond with possibilities
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2012, 03:13:00 PM »
 :praying: for the best a miracle for the youth and we fitball
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline StarKid

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 02:23:59 PM »
hope he get tru

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Dutch club sign ex-Jabloteh defender Bateau
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 06:27:57 AM »
Dutch club sign ex-Jabloteh defender Bateau.
T&T Express Reports.

FORMER San Juan Jabloteh right back and Trinidad and Tobago Under- 23 captain Sheldon Bateau has been signed by Dutch Eredivisie club Noad Advendo Combinatie (NAC) Breda on a two-year contract.

This was confirmed by North East Stars head coach Angus Eve, who snapped up the former Jabloteh player during the T&T Pro League 2012-2013 pre-season.

Bateau left Trinidad two weeks ago for a series of trials in Holland set up through his agent and North East Stars.

"The report is that he (Bateau) has a lot of technical strengths and his tactical ability is good. They (NAC Breda) think he can go into the first team now.

The Dutch league is very technical and tactical and we take pride at North East Stars in part of the preparation of the player to go into a league as Holland's. The Eredivisie is the top Dutch league and boast such names as AFC Ajax, PSV Eindhoven and Feyenoord." said Eve.

The 21-year-old Bateau has played for T&T at various youth levels, including the recent Under-23 matches, and at previous FIFA Under-17 and Under-20 World Cups.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 06:35:54 AM »
Dutch club sign ex-Jabloteh defender Bateau.
T&T Express Reports.

FORMER San Juan Jabloteh right back and Trinidad and Tobago Under- 23 captain Sheldon Bateau has been signed by Dutch Eredivisie club Noad Advendo Combinatie (NAC) Breda on a two-year contract.

This was confirmed by North East Stars head coach Angus Eve, who snapped up the former Jabloteh player during the T&T Pro League 2012-2013 pre-season.

Bateau left Trinidad two weeks ago for a series of trials in Holland set up through his agent and North East Stars.

"The report is that he (Bateau) has a lot of technical strengths and his tactical ability is good. They (NAC Breda) think he can go into the first team now.

The Dutch league is very technical and tactical and we take pride at North East Stars in part of the preparation of the player to go into a league as Holland's. The Eredivisie is the top Dutch league and boast such names as AFC Ajax, PSV Eindhoven and Feyenoord." said Eve.

The 21-year-old Bateau has played for T&T at various youth levels, including the recent Under-23 matches, and at previous FIFA Under-17 and Under-20 World Cups.

great news ...... so since bateau is 21 jabloteh gets compensation .... i assume
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:16:37 PM by Trini _2018 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »
Great news... good luck youth
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »
Excellent news!!! Congrats Sheldon...keep working hard and make the best of this opportunity!
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2012, 07:53:15 AM »
Congrats Sheldon. Make the most of it. Opportunity only comes around so often.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:56:07 AM by Cocorite »
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2012, 09:36:30 AM »
Fantastic news.  Now I have to find NAC games online.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
I like this all our good young players need to move now 
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 01:11:12 PM »
 :beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 01:16:06 PM »

oye mukumsplau....

Bendtner?
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 01:34:33 PM »

oye mukumsplau....

Bendtner?

ah tryin not to take it on

ill leave that up to conte to light a fire under his ass

other than that, i jus not tryin to take it on...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bateau waits on new Dutch deal
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »
Bateau waits on new Dutch deal.
By Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Former National Under 20 captain Sheldon Bateau has inched himself closer to signing a professional contract in Holland but to date remains a player with Local T&T Pro League club North East Stars.

There appears to have been a miscommunication between the parties involved as North East announced that the defender signed a two-year deal with Dutch Eredivisie club Noad Advendo Combinatie Breda.

The 21-year-old Beateau has been in Amsterdam on trials for the past few days and sought to clear the air on his current status.

“I’m in Amsterdam at the moment and I wasn’t allowed to say anything until I signed a contract. I still have not signed a contract with any club,” Bateau told TTFF Media on Friday morning.

“Things have gone well so far and there are a couple teams interested  but I am still a North East player. My agent in Holland and my manager in Trinidad have ensured that things have been properly arranged here for me.

I trained with a small team in Wormerveer just outside of  Amsterdam and then I had a personal trainer getting me into shape before I went into the actual trials. Three clubs expressed interest including Vitesse and Alkmaar Zaanstreek,” Bateau continued.

“I’m hoping for the best but I may have to be released by North East in order to be signed outside of the transfer window which closes at the end of August,” the former T&T Olympic team captain said.

Bateau’s local handler Dion Sosa confirmed that the player was yet to sign a contract in Holland, saying “Sheldon is still being looked at and we haven’t confirmed a deal as yet.

I understand North East’s eagerness to announce that he has signed a contract with a club in Holland but there is nothing to confirm at this point. But a couple of the clubs are interested and we are waiting on the outcome of the negotiations.”

Already, three Dutch  media publications have been in touch with TTFF Media over Bateau’s status and hopefully there will be good news for North East and Bateau regarding a sure move to Holland for the player in the not too distant future.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 04:15:29 PM by Flex »

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »
Them writer in de express stupid sah...

Wow.... them writing false shit..

How they get that wok boy, like they uncle recomend them.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Dynamite Warrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 05:06:55 PM »
Update at 6:30pm: North East Stars head coach Angus Eve said on Friday evening that as far as he is concerned, Sheldon Bateau completed a new move and that the player is no longer attached to North East Stars. Bateau's local handler Dion Sosa later confirmed that the player has been bought out from North East but the purchase was not made directly by Noad Advendo. According to Sosa,Bateau is now a free agent and will be allowed to sign any possible contract beyond the transfer deadline.

http://www.facebook.com/TnTSocaWarriors

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 05:17:52 PM »
Update at 6:30pm: North East Stars head coach Angus Eve said on Friday evening that as far as he is concerned, Sheldon Bateau completed a new move and that the player is no longer attached to North East Stars. Bateau's local handler Dion Sosa later confirmed that the player has been bought out from North East but the purchase was not made directly by Noad Advendo. According to Sosa,Bateau is now a free agent and will be allowed to sign any possible contract beyond the transfer deadline.

Good and bad...

Its nice that the player could sign outside the transfer window, but it's really sad that NE Stars or who ever the player was connected to cannot get a transfer fee for the player, even a small one....

This is really bad planning. Again, Sosa is in the mix, I know he mess up Peltier once ?

Why didn't they send players out on certain times where they do not need to depend on closed transfer windows to sign.

Follow the rules and procedures man...

Oh well.... them lost....

What do I know....

Still glad for the youth, this was a very impressive thing Angus Eve/North East Stars did for the youth...

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »

Good and bad...

Its nice that the player could sign outside the transfer window, but it's really sad that NE Stars or who ever the player was connected to cannot get a transfer fee for the player, even a small one....

This is really bad planning. Again, Sosa is in the mix, I know he mess up Peltier once ?

Why didn't they send players out on certain times where they do not need to depend on closed transfer windows to sign.

Follow the rules and procedures man...

Oh well.... them lost....

What do I know....

Still glad for the youth, this was a very impressive thing Angus Eve/North East Stars did for the youth...

But Flex, if he got "bought out," some money was passed.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>