March 28, 2024, 05:48:52 PM

Author Topic: Sheldon Bateau Thread  (Read 49478 times)

Offline andremartinsc

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sheldon Bateau Thread
« Reply #120 on: June 15, 2016, 08:23:55 AM »
I think he's not EPL quality. Maybe I'm wrong but he fits better in a Championship team if we're talking about English soccer. He could also play in Eredivise or Scottish Football League. Same thing for Molino and all the others mentioned.

Levi Garcia and Bostock are the only ones I see true potential to become EPL quality players in the future.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 15, 2016, 08:44:47 AM »
Anybody know of any MLS players that went to England? I know they retire in the MLS...but what about versa vice

Of course. Here are some: Tim Howard, Clint Dempsey, Kei Kamara, Landon Donovan, Tim Ream, Geoff Cameron, Roger Espinoza, Brek Shea, Juan Agudelo, DeAndre Yedlin, and Matt Miazga. You could even make a special mention of Defoe.

This man ent even say Stern John
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 15, 2016, 09:07:46 AM »
Stern John never went directly to EPL. He was at Nottingham Forest from Columbus Crew first, then transferred to Birmngham City who won promotion to the Premiership. Also IMO Bateau is definitely Championship but not Premiership quality just yet. Remember Oguchi Onyewu. He was in Belgium, rated by the USA and everyone in the CONCACAF region. When he got Newcastle he failed miserably. EPL is a different kettle of fish

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 15, 2016, 09:52:18 AM »
Stern John never went directly to EPL. He was at Nottingham Forest from Columbus Crew first, then transferred to Birmngham City who won promotion to the Premiership. Also IMO Bateau is definitely Championship but not Premiership quality just yet. Remember Oguchi Onyewu. He was in Belgium, rated by the USA and everyone in the CONCACAF region. When he got Newcastle he failed miserably. EPL is a different kettle of fish

Fully agreed still a relatively young man maybe in a year or so he would be ready after playing in turkey or which  other league he ends up in and gets a regular run for club and country.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2016, 11:05:02 AM »
I think he's not EPL quality. Maybe I'm wrong but he fits better in a Championship team if we're talking about English soccer. He could also play in Eredivise or Scottish Football League. Same thing for Molino and all the others mentioned.

Levi Garcia and Bostock are the only ones I see true potential to become EPL quality players in the future.

Damn!  If he eh EPL quality....then he have zero chance to play in La Liga or Bundesliga
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline andremartinsc

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »

Damn!  If he eh EPL quality....then he have zero chance to play in La Liga or Bundesliga

Idk but maybe he could fit in a mid-table team in Bundesliga. What do you think? Bundesliga is a lot easier than EPL imo.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2016, 11:12:47 AM »

The man ask MLS to England.  :-\
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »
Man who benching in MLS and Belgium could walk onto a PL team just so? Allyuh ain't even saying Championship self. PL. Is PL allyuh saying. Lawd.

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2016, 02:22:15 PM »
Man who benching in MLS and Belgium could walk onto a PL team just so? Allyuh ain't even saying Championship self. PL. Is PL allyuh saying. Lawd.

Bateau has been one of our very consistent performers, Hart said that Joevin hasn't realized how good he is yet, and Heathe said that Molino cld romp with anybody...

The point I was trying to make is basically I was wondering if scouts from the UK scout the MLS and whatever different league. No one can say that bateau is a shit hound! He is fit, fast, technical and just overall a solid consistent player!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2016, 02:58:49 PM »
I don't think any of them are shithounds. I think they're all very good with bright futures. That alone doh get you into the Prem, though..

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2016, 07:26:03 PM »
I don't think any of them are shithounds. I think they're all very good with bright futures. That alone doh get you into the Prem, though..

That's what I'm alluding to...what kinda exposure these guys have to get!
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2016, 03:29:33 AM »
Bateau: Real campaign starts in November.
By Shaun Fuentes (Guardian).

Disappointed with having to miss out on the last qualifying match against the United States, defender Sheldon Bateau sat in the VIP box at the EverBank Field moments after wishing his teammates the best on ground level before the kick off in Jacksonville on Tuesday. And he described how tough it was to be in that situation.

“It was something as a player you never want to experience but it all happens in the game and God knows best.

“I was able to wish the guys well but of course you want to be in the uniform and you want to be walking out with the rest of the team,” Bateau said.

“The result was not the best but I really do not think they (USA) were four goals better than us on the night.

If you look at the second half and see if one of our chances had gone in and if they didn’t get a fortunate first goal, the game may have gone different but this is how football goes.

“Now there is a lot to look forward to and lot to strive for. We have a fantastic opportunity to go to the World Cup.

“The first two games will be very important, obviously starting at home against Costa Rica and looking to grab all three points and then going away to Honduras and trying to get something positive.

I think all the players will be focusing their energies on being in the best form of their lives and being mentally ready for what is ahead of us,” Bateau said. T&T will have ten home and away matches which starts in November and ends in October 2017 on the road to Russia with the closing game being at home to the United States on October 10th.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2016, 05:43:04 AM »
Bateau: Time to re-focus on Russia ambitions.
TTFA Media

T&T defender says team ready to continue mission under new head coach.

Like every follower and fan of the Trinidad and Tobago Senior Men’s team, Russian-based defender Sheldon Bateau is waiting with bated breath on the announcement of who will be the new man in charge of the Senior Men’a team ahead of upcoming international fixtures.

Bateau has been a starter in defence for T&T for seven of its eight 2018 World Cup qualifying matches, missing out only on the away loss to United States in September due to a double yellow card suspension.

And while the news of Stephen Hart’s exit as head coach has been the main topic in recent days,Bateau said the time is approaching for the team’s mission of qualification to be the main focal point again.

“It will be very important as of the next game, be it a friendly game or qualifications for Gold Cup to start thinking about our main business and about Panama and Mexico,”Bateau told TTFA Media on Saturday.

“We still have a big chance to move higher in the group and the next set of games will make it easier or harder for us to continue this campaign with that possibility of qualification.

” I’m not worried because I know what we’re capable of but I think we just need to refocus and distance ourselves from the drama and noise currently taking place because regardless of what’s going on now or what was in the past nothing matters more than the next two games.

“At the end of the day the fans want results, so for players it’s also difficult but this is what we live for and why we play the beautiful game of football.”

Bateau paid his tribute to Hart for his contribution dating back to 2013, but according to the former Jabloteh defender, the team must move on and look ahead to embracing the new man in charge and continuing the qualification quest under his guidance.

“As a professional footballer the sacking of a coach or the transfer of a player is a normal thing. Whether they’re gone for a good or bad reason the job for the remaining players remains the same and this situation is no different for me. But of course he will be missed not only by me but the entire team. He restored a great amount of belief within the the team and country to an extent and that’s something no one can take away from him. But like I said the job for the players remains the same and that’s getting to Russia,” Bateau continued.

And like his peers, the former National Under 20 captain is anxiously awaiting the announcement of the new boss.

“I have a career outside of national football so that’s where my focus is for now but of course I’m very interested in knowing who the next coach will be but it’s out of my control so I’ll leave it for the TTFA to decide and not spend too much time and energy on it. I definitely know it’s not going to be an easy decision at this stage in the campaign but myself and the team like to focus on the things we can control and from here on that will be our performances and preparations as individuals,” Bateau said.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 05:48:16 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2017, 03:17:38 PM »
Unveil X – Sheldon Bateau.
By Chester Pierre (theunveilmag).

Sheldon Bateau (born 29 January 1991) is a Trinidadian professional footballer who plays as a central defender for Krylia Sovetov Samara in the Russian Football National League. He once attended Fatima College where he played in the Secondary School Football League. He currently represents the Trinidad and Tobago National Team.

Describe your experiences playing in Russia, both good and bad.

Playing in Russia hasn’t been easy but I have grown as time went by. It was definitely a step up from the Belgium League and with that step came some challenges also, but I’ve managed to grow on and off the field. Firstly Samara is 8 hours ahead of Trinidad & Tobago so it’s not easy to keep in contact with friends and family, then the distance is further so getting to and from an international game is more challenging.The weather is also very cold in the winter and I think most players coming from my side of the world would definitely want to go elsewhere but thankfully there’s a long winter break so the extremely cold weather I’ve never got. All in all Russia has been an amazing experience thus far and taking into account that I’ve played against some world class players like Hulk, Song, Promes, Ivanovic ,Arshavin and many more.

As a kid, who or what inspired you to become a footballer?

I grew up in a family and community of footballers so it was easy for me to decide on being a footballer, but I think if it wasn’t for my father’s role in Super Star Rangers back then and my brother being a few years older than me and already kicking a ball I don’t think I would have the same passion and love for the sport.

What do you miss most about being away from home?

Being away from home is easy for me because I’ve always seen myself playing professional football abroad. I prepared myself mentally for it by not getting attached to too many people and things that can’t help me in my line of work. So I mostly miss family, close friends and some food dishes but I’ve learned to cook for myself so the food I can hold out on until I’m home, hahaha. I’ve learned to cope with the other things like parties, liming and Carnival because it’s definitely not the same on the other side of the world but those things would always be there, even when my time has come to stop playing football.

What advice do you have to the upcoming footballers?

My advice for upcoming footballers is to read and educate yourself about life and the real world and not only what happens in Trinidad and Tobago or your community because it’s not an easy life playing professional football and living away from home for most of your career, they need to be strong not only physically but mentally because if you don’t teach yourself to be that way then nobody would teach you because there will be hard times and tough days but with a good mentality and solid foundation you’ll be able to see the light at the end of the tunnel and not give up. Also, set goals; big and small so that you know you’re on the right path towards success because without goals you’d just be like a ship moving with the current and the wind and going anywhere and in the end nowhere but with goals you’ll know what you want, so it’s just to see it in your mind and believe you can achieve it.

Being a defender, who would you say was/is your most challenging attacker?

I believe a lot in myself and my abilities so I believe I can stop the best in the world! I’ve played against Lewandowski and he was no problem for me, I’ve played against Argentina with Messi, Di Maria and I had control of them for most of the game. Seeing that I’ve never played again Ronaldo I’d have to say Messi was the most challenging attacker for me thus far.

How do you indulge in the Russian culture? What do you do in your free time?

Russian culture is full of history and it’s nice to see how many people still live and appreciate the simple things in life so there’s not that much to indulge in but in my free time I go to the malls or I chill with teammates or my girlfriend if she’s there with me. In my city there’s not much to do so the perfect replacement would be to play FIFA.

Who do you think will win the champions league and why?

I think Juventus would win the Champions League because for me they have the perfect balance that any coach or player would like to be a part of and even though Real Madrid is a strong team I think it would be difficult to get past Buffon along with Chellini and Bonucci whom I admire very much!!

The most asked question, Messi or Ronaldo? And why?

This one is difficult to answer, ahhahaha because I’ve been a Ronaldo fan for many years so I know what he’s capable of and I have played against Messi and I’ve seen first hand what he can do. They are both world class players no doubt and shouldn’t be compared because their style is different but I like players that mean business and don’t joke around so I’ll have to go with Ronaldo. Over the years he has transformed into an unstoppable machine.

If you had the opportunity to be a professional in another sport, what would it be?

Honestly, I’ve been asked this question many times and I’ve never been able to answer it because I can’t imagine my life without football, it’s all I know and it’s what I live for.

How would you describe Trinidad and Tobago’s chances for World Cup 2018?

I think we still have a very good chance of qualifying but it’s not going to be easy. We need to take it one game at a time and not just hope for the best but work towards achieving our goal. We have a good group of players, a staff and country that believes in us so in the end it’s just for us to play the game the way we can and with the confidence and conviction that we have shown in the past.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #134 on: June 04, 2017, 07:24:08 AM »
Bateau eyes crucial qualifier for T&T.
TTFA Media.

The Trinidad and Tobago camp in Westminster, Colorado welcomed two more of its European-based players on Friday with defenders Aubrey David and Radanfah Abu Bakr joining the provisional squad ahead of preparations for Thursday’s 2018 World Cup Qualifier against the United States at Dick’s Sporting Good Park.

T&T head coach Dennis Lawrence is expected to name his final roster the qualifier on Sunday after assessing the current group and will begin his final leg of preparations on Monday.

The T&T team trained at the Colorado Rapids Training Field, near to Dick’s Sporting Goods Park on Friday and Saturday.

Bateau on the preparations

“My first session felt well. So far the two or three days have been good and it is always a pleasure to be back wit the team and just looking forward to working and getting ready for the two games,” Bateau told TTFA Media.

“I’ve been eager to be back after missing the last two games. The team won the Panama game so it was normal that most coaches would not want to change a winning team so I had to respect that for the Mexico game. But now we are here in Denver and there is a next chapter to prepare for.”

Looking ahead to Thursday’s clash, the former San Juan Jabloteh player added: “We have definitely grown as a team over the past few games as a group but most importantly it’s going to be about discipline for us. The US team waits for you to drop asleep and then pounce on you and when you are fighting to get back they can punish you. We need to have the confidence to play football the way we can play it. We can possess the ball, we can score goals, we are physically strong snd we have fast players, so it’s about us going out there and demonstrating that,” Bateau added.

The former Belgian-based player also spoke about the impact Lawrence and his staff are having on the squad as the preparations continue to the upcoming matches against the US and Costa Rica.

“Being past players, players that most of us looked at on the field. they were in these positions similar to us when they played. When we train there is always that sense of they know what they are doing. We respect them and they respect us. Overall there is a very good understanding between us and the coaches. They are not old also, so they understand how we feel and it is easier  for us to communicate. Most times you would see Stern working with the strikers, Dennis with the defenders and the midfielders,teaching us what they know and sharing their experiences… We have Stuart (Charles-Ferrier) to show us how to possess the ball.

“It is something totally different to what we had in past. Now we have personnel for the different areas. It is a really nice mixture but it then comes down to us, the players to show it and get the job done,” Bateau concluded.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2017, 08:22:02 AM »
Defender Sheldon Bateau goes on loan to Kazakhstan Premier League club FC Kairat.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:23:46 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2017, 08:41:50 AM »
WATCH: Sheldon Bateau’s first interview with his new club, FC Kairat

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nndkhISeFfc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nndkhISeFfc</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2017, 09:03:55 AM »
Think about what prompted the loan.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 27, 2017, 10:45:19 AM »
Think about what prompted the loan.

Well according to Krylia Sovetov Samara, it had to do with stricter rules regarding foreign players.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2017, 12:27:31 AM »
Bateau joins Arshavan at Kazakh club.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago defender Sheldon Bateau completed a six-month loan move to Kairat Almaty from Russian club Krylia Sovetov Samara on Tuesday.

Kairat is based in Almaty, which plays in the Kazakhstan Premier League, the highest level of Kazakh football. The club’s home ground is the Central Stadium which has a capacity of 23,804.

Bateau will play alongside Russian international and former Arsenal midfielder Arshavan.

“I’m obviously happy to make this move. Kairat is a very good team with big ambitions for Europe and I’m excited to start training and playing with the guys,” Bateau told TTFA Media on Tuesday.

“Unfortunately I can’t play in the first rounds of the European League qualifications but I have no doubt that we’ll make it to the second round so I’m patiently waiting to make my debut.

“It’s another step in my career and I’m happy to be playing alongside a player like Arshavin,” added the former San Juan Jabloteh player.

“To me this is a positive step and I will be pushing myself to be a fixture into the starting team and also keeping myself ready for the next set of qualifiers in September which hopefully I will be part of the squad for,” Bateau added.

The 26-year-old Bateau has previously played in Belgium with KV Mechelen, beginning his playing career in Europe in 2012. His consistent form resulted in Sheldon signing a two-year contract extension, on 18 January 2013, keeping him at Mechelen until the end of the 2014–15 season

Bateau has 23 senior international caps for T&t with three goals and is a former National Under 20 captain, having also appeared at two FIFA Youth World Cups, the 2007 Under 17 in South Korea and the 2009 Under 20 World Cup in Egypt.

WATCH: Sheldon Bateau’s first interview with his new club, FC Kairat

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:55:28 AM by Flex »

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2017, 05:07:35 AM »
Isnt it better to play in MLS than Kazikhstan? Very confused about this move

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2017, 05:23:33 AM »
No disrespect to fellow posters in the USA but here in Europe the MLS is generally frowned upon and viewed with so much derision you wouldn't believe by Europen players and fans alike.

Offline Dutty Love

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2017, 08:27:28 AM »
Yes but Kazikhstan is not Europe. You are talking Europe as in Serie A, La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga probably.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2017, 08:50:13 AM »
Kazakhstan is actually considered as Europe, even though they can also play in Asia. They chose Europe. Therefore their clubs can play in the European competitions. I can't really gauge their standard of football.

While the MLs can't measure up to the top Euro. nations, the league is not bad. The standard is not super, but not bad. The MLS is not a stroll in the park football. Many of the Euros who bad talk the league, find out the hard way when they come to play

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2017, 09:21:29 AM »

No. In this case, definitely no.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2017, 11:02:18 AM »

And by the way ...

http://iffhs.de/strongest-national-league-world-2016-spain-since-2010/

Kazakhstan #47
USA #59
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:05:44 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »
Simply compared to the English Leagues, the MLS is probably on par with the bottom half of the Championship/top half of League 1. I agree with Deeks that Kazakhstan's league definitely isn't super but it's definitely not bad and overall not better than MLS but the football education that you'll get from a European team again is definitely better than the MLS. No two ways about that at all.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2017, 11:47:35 AM »

And by the way ...

http://iffhs.de/strongest-national-league-world-2016-spain-since-2010/

Kazakhstan #47
USA #59
What a revelation. Didn't see that coming. I actually thought MLS might have ebeen ranked higher then Kazakhstani league

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2017, 01:30:39 PM »
Alot of people don't really know, some of these games in Kazakhstan have a crazy atmosphere. People come out for games.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2017, 12:21:10 AM »
I checking some bio of Kazak. They were part of the Asian Football, but they switched to Uefa in 2002. They are heavily influenced by Russia, they speak Russian. And is physically a very huge country, as big as western Euro. 9th largest in the world. So there is some distance to travel to games. Even though he playing "too far", I think is a great move for him. Life of a journeyman pro. Take it or leave it.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 06:57:39 AM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>