Author Topic: REDjet  (Read 9995 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: REDjet
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
Lutchmedial said most importantly, CATT was an agency of the state and was guided by government policy. “So matters like these we have to consult with the line minister,” he said.

A man clip he own wings yes.

One would think that the Civil Aviation Authority would be guided by set rules and procedures and not the whims of the Minister. If Redjet doesn't have approval then they shouldn't advertise but the Minister doh really have any business commenting on Redjet operating here. If they meet the requirements for a licence why would they need to consult the Minister ?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:32:25 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 11:42:37 AM »
Lutchmedial said most importantly, CATT was an agency of the state and was guided by government policy. “So matters like these we have to consult with the line minister,” he said.

One would think that the Civil Aviation Authority would be guided by set rules and procedures and not the whims of the Minister. If Redjet has doesn't have approval then they shouldn't advertise but the Minister doh really have any business commenting on Redjet operating here. If they meet the requirements for a licence why would they need to consult the Minister ?

Another lap dog daiz all.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2011, 12:12:23 PM »

One would think that the Civil Aviation Authority would be guided by set rules and procedures and not the whims of the Minister. If Redjet has doesn't have approval then they shouldn't advertise but the Minister doh really have any business commenting on Redjet operating here. If they meet the requirements for a licence why would they need to consult the Minister ?

JACK IS DE BORSE!!!
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »

No doubt but my rationale is if they make recommendations for approval then shouldn't their recommendation be based on their own regulations. You do your work and let the borse say no if he want.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:31:50 PM by Jah Gol »

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2011, 01:14:24 PM »
For all those who already booked flights.....next time read fine print.  First flight from Trinidad to Barbados is May 7. They waiting since 2007.....Hopefully you get a refund.  ;D

« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 01:16:58 PM by TriniCana »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2011, 07:15:35 AM »

JACK IS DE BORSE!!!

:shameonyou: ::)

It done have ah man on de main forum page does be posting that, we eh need ah next one on dis page OK??.... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 07:24:05 AM »
Ah see on Redjet fb page dey say dey eh commenting on anything any officials of any country have to say.   :thinking: :thinking:

Where de Jamaicans dat does be here??   Tell mih something, Redjet in trouble by all yuh or is just we have issues with them??.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline jahkingdom

• Strictly The Best
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 01:02:02 PM »
Where de Jamaicans dat does be here??   Tell mih something, Redjet in trouble by all yuh or is just we have issues with them??.....

i really don't think Jamaica will stop Red jet. competition and number of seats are important in the tourism market.

http://go-jamaica.com/news/read_article.php?id=27712

http://www.caribbean360.com/business/308641.html#axzz1KBQYZP6R

http://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/headline-Open-skies-agreements-aid-Jamaican-aviation-sector-6067.html

http://asia.businesstraveller.com/asia-pacific/news/singapore-inks-open-skies-agreements-with-barba-2

the only thing is that, Jamaica will not give them national carrier statues. they wanted to make Jamaica their base before they move to Barbados, but they still looking to do that in the future.

in today's paper:
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/business/REDjet-to-begin-flights-to-the-Caribbean-next-month
Hard work is the key to success

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 02:02:59 PM »
this is a wait and see thing for me. I have to see people flying outta tnt with this before i try it out

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2011, 04:37:42 PM »
this is a wait and see thing for me. I have to see people flying outta tnt with this before i try it out

I was going and book a flight to Barbados in June but yeah, I waiting and seeing too mih self.....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2011, 05:12:24 AM »
REDjet applies to fly out of T&T
By: Dixie-Ann Dickson (Guardian).

One day after the low-cost airline REDjet was banned from advertising and publishing its fares, the airline applied for a licence to operate in T&T. In a telephone interview yesterday, Ramesh Lutchmedial, director general of Civil Aviation Authority of T&T (CAA), confirmed that REDjet officially applied to CAA for its licence to fly in and out of T&T.

On Tuesday, Lutchmedial informed the T&T Guardian that a letter had been sent to REDjet ordering it to desist from advertising and making any bookings for its inaugural May 8 flight until it obtained the necessary approvals.

He also confirmed that on receipt of the letter, the airline complied with CAA’s order and immediately withdrew any reservations or advertising of its fares.

The new airline promised fares as low as TT$65 to Barbados, Guyana and Jamaica. The rate does not include government and other taxes. Lutchmedial explained that CATT was in the process of reviewing the application and that a recommendation would be made. Processing such an application, he said, usually takes up to 90 days, but he was uncertain how long REDjet’s application will take.

Asked if Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner was informed of the latest developments, he said, “Yes, the minister is being apprised of all this, as I have to ensure CATT, as a State agency, remains in constant communication with the minister.

Contacted for comment, Anne-Marie Edwards-Job, account manager for REDjet at the public relations firm, Sandra Welch-Farrell and Company (SWF&Co), she said she was still awaiting feedback from the officials of REDjet on the issue. Based in Barbados, REDjet launched its services last week at the Carlton Savannah, St Ann’s, stating that it planned to operate into Trinidad, Barbados, Jamaica and Guyana, offering affordable fares to travellers.

Warner raised concerns about whether REDjet had gone through the proper channels to operate out of T&T.
On Monday, the airline confirmed it had received its air operator certificate from the Barbados Civil Aviation Department.

In an earlier interview, Lutcmedial said even though the airline obtained the air operator certificate from Barbados, the agreement between Barbados and T&T was also subject to the local laws of T&T.
Lutchmedial said CATT has to ensure that the Barbados Civil Authority is in compliance with the safety and security standards of the international CATT before it makes any recommendation for the issuance of a licence to operate in T&T.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2011, 05:48:26 AM »
hhhhhhmmmmm............. :thinking:

So RedJet screw up initially then and Jack was right??  But RedJet eh easy......
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2011, 06:09:47 AM »
Well, well.....

Aviation boss: REDjet's May 8 take-off unlikely
By Curtis Rampersad Business Editor

Low fares airline REDjet yesterday appealed to authorities in Trinidad and Tobago and Barbados to quickly resolve all issues related to the carrier's service taking off in Trinidad.

The Christ Church, Barbados company admitted there was a "breakdown of communications and understanding" with regard to its entry into the Trinidad and Tobago market.

"REDjet requests the support of both the Government of Barbados and the Government of Trinidad and Tobago to find a speedy resolution that acts in the best interest of the public with regard to safety, security and consumer interests," the airline, which is promoting Caribbean flights from as low as US$9.99 per one-way ticket, said in a statement.

REDjet has been advertising over the past couple weeks a service from Barbados to Trinidad with a May 8 launch date.

But Transport Minister Jack Warner said last week he did not know who had given REDjet permission to operate in Trinidad and Tobago.

Director General of the Civil Aviation Authority Ramesh Lutchmedial said REDjet formally applied for permission to operate in the country on Tuesday and that it was being evaluated.

He told the Express yesterday by phone that given the amount of work involved in the evaluation, it was "hardly likely" that the airline will receive permission to start its service on May 8.

REDjet maintained yesterday it had acted in accordance with laws and regulations of the country and was confident it will receive the go ahead to fly before May 8.

REDjet has not taken payment for any tickets booked and was in receipt of the required approvals to conduct our commercial activities accordingly," the airline said. "REDjet has not received its permission required to operate flights yet, however, REDjet's application is being processed by the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Aviation_boss__REDjet_s_May_8_take-off_unlikely-120429784.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2011, 07:22:01 AM »
This wasn't looking right from day 1 :-\
Caribbean Airlines douxs, ya still meh friend in dey sky!! :beermug:
Air Canada you growing on me....get some tall pilots nuh? :P

American Airlines haul allyuh stinking rass >:(

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 09:15:24 PM »
A Jack of all shades
By Tony Deyal (Express)

Story Updated: Apr 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM ECT

The visual acuity of Jack Warner, the Minister of Works and Transport (MOWT) in the new Trinidad and Tobago Government responsible for air transport, is highly impressive. He does not see eye-to-eye with most people, especially those who accuse him of corrupt or underhand practices (and this includes the BBC and Andrew Jennings whose website www.transparencyinsport.org has a lot about Warner and FIFA). He has an eye out for any opportunity to increase his reportedly vast wealth or his dream of becoming Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago. He is said to close his eyes to the transgressions of his friends and associates. Now he claims to be in the dark and yet is seeing red about REDJet, the low-cost carrier, coming to Trinidad and Tobago. He is indeed a Jack of all shades.

It is true that Warner as the MOWT is responsible for Caribbean Airlines (formerly BWIA) and that nobody but the Government of Trinidad and Tobago (GOTT) was or is interested in owning and operating the high-cost airline which, were it not a State enterprise, would have been shut down a long time ago for financial problems. As the cynics say, "If you want to be a millionaire, first become a billionaire and then buy an airline." However, "abbreviationally speaking", getting control of CAL was a feather in the GOTT MOWT's cap.

However, as the calypsonian, the Mighty Penguin, sang, "What sweet in goat mouth does sour" in its posterior. The same fate seems to have befallen the GOTT MOWT. His first shock was the appointment of George Nicholas, son of Issa, the regional hotelier, as chairman of CAL. First Jack tried a Rodney Dangerfield approach. Dangerfield was the comedian who made a career and fortune out of the phrase, "I don't get no respect." He would say, "I don't get no respect, I tell you. The way my luck is running, if I was a politician I would be honest," or "With my wife I don't get no respect. I made a toast on her birthday to 'the best woman a man ever had'. The waiter joined me." Dangerfield's entire life was full of such slights. He quipped, "I told my psychiatrist that everyone hates me. He said I was being ridiculous, everyone hasn't met me yet. I don't get no respect!" Sometimes he complained, "I get no respect, no respect, I tell you. Take my wife, please!"

The GOTT MOWT claimed he got no respect from Nicholas, who did not inform him in advance of the decision to fire Ian Brunton as the company's CEO and, in the process, dropped some intemperate and torrid language on the high-and-mighty MOWT.

Warner complained, "I had a disagreement with the chairman and he had a complete lack of respect for me as the line minister." So what did the MOWT say to the Prime Minister when he complained to her? Did he do a Dangerfield? Was it, "PM, I get no respect. Take George Nicholas, please!"

Still, despite the MOWT's mumblings, rumblings and grumblings, Nicholas is still the CAL chairman and Brunton has not been rehired. Then the MOWT was ordered by the extremely aggressive Attorney General of GOTT, Anand Ramlogan, to "shut up" while an investigation was taking place on the brand of planes that CAL was buying to service Tobago and the routes now operated by LIAT. Despite the black eye from Ramlogan, Jack remained chastised but not chastened.

This seems typical. The MOWT had promised the T&T World Cup team that they would have got 50 per cent of all 2006 World Cup commercial revenue. Instead of paying up, Jack and his minions fought it out in the London-based Sport Dispute Resolution Panel (SDRP), the High Court of T&T and the Appeals Court and, as far as we know, might still be fighting it.

Now Jack has what he thinks is a winning position and the MOWT is running with it for all he's worth—which is plenty and with more coming now that he remains a FIFA VP. He has jumped all over the REDJet matter, querying whether the airline has permission to operate in Trinidad and Tobago.

It reminds me of a decision by the school which I attended to have a Tuck Shop. All students were expected to buy from the school's shop and students caught buying anything at intermission from any of the street vendors who came to the gates of the school's compound were beaten mercilessly by the school's principal. The lines in the tuck shop were long and the food cost more than the price outside. I got a severe licking for breaking the rule. In the same way, T&T taxpayers were never asked if they wanted the country to own an inefficient airline or to buy another bankrupt one (Air Jamaica).

People in Barbados and the OECS, given the opportunity, would never support their hard-earned tax dollars going to support LIAT unless the fares were reduced. Now that REDjet is coming, Jack and his Government are trying to defend the indefensible and deprive their own people and the rest of the region from the opportunity for cheaper flights.

The reason? REDjet did not go to Jack first so now he is MOWT-ing off. Worse, he is supported by the Civil Aviation Authority of T&T (CATT) which has ordered REDjet to immediately cease all advertising of its fares to the three destinations to which it had been marketing its $63 rate. In what seems to be an extremely obsequious position, and completely unlike the Nicholas response to Jack, the CATT head, Ramesh Lutchmedial, tried to argue that notwithstanding the agreement with the Barbados Civil Authority, "most importantly, CATT was an agency of the State and was guided by Government policy". He explained, "So matters like these we have to consult with the line minister."

There you have it. GOTT works in mysterious ways its wonders to perform and its MOWT-piece does not seem to care about what the people want so long as he gets "respect". Given that kind of Don Corleone approach, maybe he might make REDjet an offer they cannot refuse.

• Tony Deyal was last seen asking if the MOWT went as a witness in the football case,

would he qualify as a Jack-in-the-Box?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2011, 05:03:16 AM »

Turbulence to avoid
By Ian Brunton

Part 1

Having been involved in airline start-ups, expansions and acquisitions at the highest levels of three international airlines, I feel compelled to set the record straight on the REDjet issue.

International civil aviation, ever since the Chicago Convention that marked the birth of the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO - an arm of the UN) in 1945, has been heavily regulated with respect to safety, under the guidance of that august body. There are 190 member states of lCAO who are bound by the ICAO Convention.

Further, as pertains to any business activity that significantly touches the quality of life of their citizens, states also regulate airlines via commercial institutions.

I will examine the REDjet start-up from both of these limbs -- safety regulation (and commercial regulation in Part 2 of this article). However, I will also touch on an aspect of safety regulation, which, of necessity, is affected by finance: in effect a third limb of regulation that I shall call the financial aspect of safety regulation.

Safety Regulation

Air Operator's Certificate (AOC). As has been recently stated by T&T's Director General of Civil Aviation, the first step in the process of applying to a foreign country to operate air services is the granting of a safety clearance from that country's local civil aviation authority (TTCAA in this country). This authority is either in the form of the grant of Foreign Operations Specifications (Ops Specs), as is the practice of the US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA); or alternatively, as is the practice of the Canadians, the grant of a Foreign Air Operator's Certificate (FAOC).

Once the applicant airline holds an AOC from a state whose safety oversight system is fully compliant with ICAO (Convention Annexes) standards, the process of obtaining a safety clearance from the foreign state would normally be truncated (from years to months). Credit would be given if the applicant's original AOC has been granted by a fully compliant ICAO-contracting state. It must be understood that the AOC just granted to REDjet is from a state that does NOT fall into the FAA International Air Safety Assessment (IASA) Category 1, meaning that it does not currently comply with ICAO standards for aviation safety oversight.

By definition, therefore, the TTCAA cannot just accept the granting of a Barbados AOC as evidence that REDjet is sufficiently compliant with international aviation safety operating standards to be allowed to fly into Trinidad and Tobago. In every such case in which I was involved (BWIA, CAL and Air Jamaica) despite the fact that the relevant AOC was granted by US IASA Category 1 countries (Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica) and that the operations were continuing from identical operational structures (material, human and procedural), it took us a minimum of three months to satisfy the foreign regulators.

By contrast with BWIA, CAL and Air Jamaica, REDjet is a brand new start-up airline, with absolutely no operating history, flying aging aircraft (BWIA gave up the last of its MD-80s over ten years ago). This last point is hugely significant: aging aircraft types obviously require specialised care to keep them airworthy. As both Aloha Airlines found out in 1988 (fuselage failure of an aging aircraft caused a flight attendant to be sucked out of the aircraft in flight) and more recently when Southwest suffered a similar incident, these aging jet aircraft are literally flying into uncharted territory. At this end of the aircraft life spectrum, even the aircraft manufacturers are learning as they go along.

I humbly submit, therefore, that before granting REDjet or any applicant with their obvious disadvantages (AOC from a non-ICAO compliant state, start-up airline, no pedigree, aging aircraft etc), an exhaustive certification process from the ground up would have to be conducted by the TTCAA. This is aimed at ensuring that the applicant operator has a suitable organisation, adequate operational management, human and material resources, exhaustive procedures, handbooks and manuals to govern every aspect of its operations and aircraft maintenance.

Obviously our Director General of Civil Aviation is at liberty to accept some of the Barbados CAA audits and compliance checks. However, the TTCAA has an obligation to (and is audited by) the international safety regulators (ICAO, FAA etc) and must be very careful to demonstrate that any use of its discretion in this vein must be able to withstand careful international scrutiny.

Another safety audit that a new applicant like REDjet would not have had to submit to would be the rigorous International Operational Safety Audit demanded by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) as a condition of membership. This comprehensive audit, which commonly takes about a week, has to be undergone by member airlines, on application for membership, and subsequently about every two years. Both CAL and Air Jamaica have repeatedly endured and passed these stringent lATA air safety audits, with flying colours.

Concludes Monday.

—Ian Brunton is a former CEO of Caribbean Airlines

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Turbulence_to_avoid-120529644.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2011, 05:21:00 AM »
Turbulence to avoid
By Ian Brunton

Part 2
Mr Brunton concludes his discussion of the REDjet issue.

Commercial Regulation:

An existing Air Service Agreement (ASA) or some similar agreement along the line of an international treaty, must exist between two sovereign countries as a prerequisite to operating air services between them.

This document would guide the commercial aspect of the air operations: designation of airlines authorised to operate under the treaty, permitted routes between and beyond, pricing/tariff procedures (double approval or double disapproval required?), recognition of compliant safety and security procedures and laws, customs duties, taxes and user charges, fair competition aspects, settlement of disputes (for example, allegations of predatory pricing, fair competition issues) etc.

The relevant local commercial regulator—in our case, the Trinidad and Tobago Air Transport Licensing Authority (ATLA) (as with the TTCAA, coming under the Ministry of Works and Transport)—on receipt of an application from a putative applicant to operate an air service, will carefully examine the governing ASA or its equivalent against the detailed application to determine whether a licence to operate the routes should be granted under the terms of the application.

I would suggest that in the case of the REDjet application a significant point that ATLA would examine would be the viability and sustainability of the unusually low airfares offered. They would obviously take into account in this enquiry the high cost of maintenance and operation of the "gas–guzzling" ageing MD-82 aircraft in a scenario of extremely high fuel and maintenance costs.

The commercial regulator has an obligation to ensure the protection of the traveIling public from the vicissitudes and disruptions that can be caused by reckless and unstable carriers. The burden of proof should be on the applicant to show how it could viably exist in this very low fare environment. I submit that this would be a high hurdle for REDjet, with its present promise, to easily cross.

The Financial Aspect of Safety Regulation:

I mentioned in Part 1 (Saturday Express) this third limb of air safety regulation. The Director General of Civil Aviation, as part of the certification process for a new air operator, must ensure that the applicant is financially sound enough to ensure continuing airworthiness of its aircraft and operations. Aviation is a highly capital intensive industry and requires extensive cash flow to sustain safe operations.

REDjet would have to undergo rigorous examination of its finances and business plan to satisfy the Director General that it can meet the rigorous demands of continuing airworthiness.

In conclusion, my experience tells me that, despite the renowned reputation of our local TTCAA and its leadership, and with the best will in the world, it would be difficult to accomplish this certification task of REDjet in under nine months. As it is, the TTCAA's workload, with a burgeoning local helicopter industry and CAL's recent acquisition of Air Jamaica, is stretched close to its limits.

The phrase that "Safety is no Accident", though trite and hackneyed, is still very valid. The continuing high safety record (knock wood) demonstrated by the airlines of this region (and I include Air Jamaica, LIAT, Cayman Airways and Bahamasair) is certainly not achieved by chance. It is crafted by a commitment and a culture of safety developed in partnership with the aviation regulators of the region.

We all welcome competition as a means to stimulate the industry and bring down fares. However this expedient must not be achieved by ignoring or bypassing the tried and tested checks and balances that have contributed to this region's airlines being some of the safest in the world (again, knock wood).

As I have stated in the past, the way to bring down regional airfares, whilst at the same time protecting the quality of air service provided to Caribbean air travellers, is by the creation of a standing forum between the governments and aviation players of the region, by way of partnership to fix fares at a fair level. Some taxes and local airport charges can be reduced in this way and undoubtedly the airlines can reciprocate by bringing fares closer to cost of production.

I hope the above throws some light on this matter, which must be causing some confusion in the minds of the public of Trinidad and Tobago.

* Ian Brunton is a former CEO of Air Caribbean

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Turbulence_to_avoid-120581559.html
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 05:16:39 PM »
Stop the press!!!  Redjet get permission!!!  So how a process that was supposed to take months finish so fast and in time for the May 8th launch??....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 05:33:41 PM »
from what i understand they still waiting on permission brownie...they say the hoping to havbe the launch on the 15th
Back in Trini...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
It went cabinet 2day so d minute will return next wk thus d 15th strt date.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2011, 07:03:54 AM »
from what i understand they still waiting on permission brownie...they say the hoping to havbe the launch on the 15th

Yeah I caught that afterwards but still the process was supposed to take months to complete...... ::)  :o
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2011, 05:11:21 AM »
REDjet takes off May 15
By Sasha Harrinanan Friday, May 6 2011

REDJet will be allowed to operate in Trinidad, but from May 15 and not May 8 as originally advertised because the new Board of the Air Transport Licensing Authority (ATLA) will be appointed on Monday.

ATLA has to issue a licence to REDJet before it can begin flying to this country. The airline has already met the two other requirements it needs — the Civil Aviation Authority has granted REDJet authorisation, known as a “journey permit” which complies with foreign operator regulations while the Barbados government has issued it an Operators Certificate.

This news emerged yesterday morning, following an hour-long meeting between executives from the Caribbean’s first-ever budget airline and Works and Transport Minister Jack Warner.

The meeting, originally carded for 6 am today, was moved up due to Warner’s busy schedule. It was held at the minister’s Richmond Street, Port-of-Spain head office and concerned the status of the airline’s application to operate a service to Trinidad.

Final approval would have had to been given by today for REDJet to be able to meet its advertised inaugural flight this Sunday.

The meeting came about by chance, after a manager at ReDJet’s public relations firm, SWF and Company, met Warner at Miami International Airport on Tuesday and requested one.

After the roughly hour-long meeting, the Works and Transport Minister told reporters the ATLA Board would be appointed on Monday morning and REDJet’s application would be given first priority.

The Works and Transport minister noted the final step would be for him to take a note to Cabinet, something he told reporters yesterday morning he did not expect would be a problem.

Warner also said in the future, he plans to be more directly involved should a similar situation occur, to avoid any “bottlenecks”.

At a media conference at Carlton Savannah later in the day, REDJet’s chairman and chief executive Ian Burns said customers who had been scheduled to fly on May 8 flight would have their tickets honoured at a later date. “We are an airline that was built by consumers for consumers so we are really, really disappointed for these people. They put their faith and trust in REDJet and we are really so grateful for their support (that) we are going to make sure that they can get a flight on a later date at the exact same fare that they booked this one at.

“They (would also) get a travel voucher as a way of saying ‘thank you’...hopefully they would see that we are actually trying to look after our customers and our passengers in a very meaningful way,” he said at the Cascade hotel.

REDJet officials said effective yesterday, they would once again be able to advertise their Trinidad flights. They were responding to a question about a ban implemented on April 18 by Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) director general, Ramesh Lutchmedial.

At the time REDJet was informed by Lutchmedial that it had to cease advertising its destinations and fares until it received permission from the relevant authorities in TT.

Meanwhile, in an interview with Newsday yesterday, Burns confirmed that two minority shareholders in regional telecommunications company, Digicel, also own shares in REDJet.

Burns also made it clear the budget airline has not received any subsidies from Barbados, where its headquarters are based.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »
Stop the press!!!  Redjet get permission!!!  So how a process that was supposed to take months finish so fast and in time for the May 8th launch??....

Obviously.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2011, 07:11:50 AM »
REDjet takes off May 15
By Sasha Harrinanan Friday, May 6 2011

REDJet will be allowed to operate in Trinidad, but from May 15 and not May 8 as originally advertised because the new Board of the Air Transport Licensing Authority (ATLA) will be appointed on Monday.

ATLA has to issue a licence to REDJet before it can begin flying to this country. The airline has already met the two other requirements it needs — the Civil Aviation Authority has granted REDJet authorisation, known as a “journey permit” which complies with foreign operator regulations while the Barbados government has issued it an Operators Certificate.

After the roughly hour-long meeting, the Works and Transport Minister told reporters the ATLA Board would be appointed on Monday morning and REDJet’s application would be given first priority.

So arrrrmmmm......the problem was that the ATLA board was not appointed??  But ah thought the problem was on Redjet side??   ??? :-\

After 1 year in office, it still have boards that eh appointed yet??  Buhwamodder! is this??!!
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »
May 15th.
Any reports from the pioneers?
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2011, 01:40:55 PM »
Discount carrier struggles to fly in Caribbean
By DAVID McFADDEN, Associated Press – 1 hour ago
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hsBua60FNbRFdgOrlxRNoGBn6_3A?docId=6f11927c468c48079c658c556016fe04

KINGSTON, Jamaica — The Caribbean's first discount airline is having a rough time getting off the ground and the company's Irish chief executive blames political fear of competition for the region's government-affiliated carriers.

Ian Burns dreams of creating a Caribbean version of Europe's cut-rate Ryanair, advertising flights for as little as $10 that would make it dramatically easier for people across the islands to fly and do business, boosting the region's economy. People in the Caribbean have long complained that costly, inefficient air service has choked back investment and jobs.

But regulators in two key countries have not yet given Burns' REDjet permission to operate. And so far he's unable to offer any flights to the United States, the most important source of travelers and trade for the Caribbean.

"There is obviously some sort of political interference going on. Our point is, let the consumer decide by giving them a choice. We're not going to cost the taxpayers a bit of money if we fail, so why can't the market decide?" Burns told The Associated Press this week.

Burns, a former partner of a U.K. accounting firm and a past president of Dublin's Wanderers rugby club, has no previous experience running an airline but he seems to have plenty of business connections. He says he is "close friends" with Irish telecommunications tycoon Denis O'Brien and has received counsel from top brass at Ryanair, the Dublin-based airline that thrived during Europe's recession by offering rock-bottom rates.
His short-haul, low-cost airline recently launched inaugural flights from its Barbados base to Guyana, using two 149-seat MD-82 passenger jets.

Burns said the company has met all the requirements to operate in Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago, two of the region's largest countries, though Roger Williams, managing partner of Miami-based Airline Information, said Burns and REDjet have not helped themselves by aggressively advertising cheap fares to those islands before receiving approval to land there.

"I can empathize with their reasons for doing so, however it will not aid them in navigating the regulatory bureaucracy in the region," Williams said. Aviation red tape "can be complex within the Caribbean and a very slow process."

Nicole Hutchinson, spokeswoman for Jamaica's civil aviation authority, said the country's evaluation of an air service license is "highly objective and remains free from political or any other interference." She declined to estimate of how long a decision might take.

In Trinidad, Transport Minister Jack Warner has expressed indignation that REDjet was offering fares to his country before getting regulators' approval.

"I am not against competition but I don't think that competition should be based on a degree of lawlessness," Warner said about REDjet in April.

Warner has since been suspended from his more high-profile post as vice president of soccer's global governing body, FIFA, pending an inquiry into allegations of vote-buying in the organization's leadership election.
Goverment-affiliated airlines have carried business travelers, tourists and goods across the geographically fragmented Caribbean, a region of small island nations dotted in a wide expanses of water. But the carriers have been plagued by inefficiency, strikes and a lack of capital.

Antigua-based LIAT, Air Jamaica and Trinidad-based BWIA have reported millions of dollars in losses.
Last week, Caribbean Airlines, the Trinidad-based carrier which replaced BWIA in 2007, concluded its acquisition of Air Jamaica, which had racked up about $1.2 billion in debt.

Analysts agree with Burns that a low-fare alternative is needed.

"The Caribbean certainly needs to be stimulated as far as price; it is one of the highest priced airline markets in the world," Williams said from Miami. "However, the Caribbean also needs reliable air service, something that its own airlines have failed to consistently deliver."

Vaughn Cordle, managing partner for Washington, D.C.-based Airline Forecasts, said, "The glut of used aircraft and the high-fare environment makes it a good time for new upstarts to get off the ground."
But he warned that "most fail because they are undercapitalized and cannot absorb the losses in the early stage of the life cycle."

Burns says REDjet will succeed by cost-cutting: no free food or business class service, fast turnarounds at airports to save on parking fees, no overnighting by staff and use of Internet reservations to eliminate booking offices.

REDjet's published fares would allow a round trip from Trinidad to Barbados with no checked baggage for $103.42, 66 percent cheaper than the least expensive flight from Caribbean Airlines.

The airline was founded in 2006 after Burns' son, Robbie, worked on the island and surprised at the price of flights. Burns said attempts to set up the company in Jamaica fizzled in 2007 and REDjet later moved on to Barbados, making it the only passenger line based there.

But that has created another problem for the company. REDjet announced on April 11 it had finally received permission to operate in Barbados. Just a day later, the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration said it had barred Barbados-based carriers from flying to the U.S.

The FAA noted that Barbados was certifying an air carrier "with the goal of serving the United States," but it said Barbados failed to meet international standards for oversight of airlines.

Anthony Archer, director of Barbados' Civil Aviation Department, said that his agency is beefing up its staff and Burns said he expects U.S. approval will be granted "in the near future."

But the FAA process sometimes takes years, and aviation analysts agree that REDjet eventually will need U.S. flights, especially since it faces a relatively small, scattered local market.

"Even though discount airlines like Ryanair, and years ago Laker Airways and People Xpress, literally created new air travelers with ultra-low prices, they still tapped areas with high population densities. I would say that US rights are essential for REDjet's long-term growth," Williams said.

Burns said U.S. flights are not a priority at the moment: "Our fares and our structures are designed to make money" serving the Caribbean market.

Burns argues that Trinidad and Jamaica are breaching international aviation agreements by failing to approve REDjet's operations.

"You can postpone this for a certain period of time, but you cannot stop it," he said.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
aaaaaahhh boy RedJet, welcome to T&T and the Caribbean.  Imagine all of a sudden it costing US $132 one way including taxes to fly to Jamaica on BWIA Caribbean Airlines.....dem sons of bitches....
Or yuh shoes burst off,
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2011, 08:01:29 PM »
aaaaaahhh boy RedJet, welcome to T&T and the Caribbean.  Imagine all of a sudden it costing US $132 one way including taxes to fly to Jamaica on BWIA Caribbean Airlines.....dem sons of bitches....

yeah cyar remember when TSTT use to charge we $8.00 a minute to call the US?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2011, 08:22:56 PM »
Wake meh up when dey land at Piarco.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:38:23 AM by weary1969 »
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2011, 05:35:25 AM »
REDjet halts T&T bookings
Still no local approval to operate
By Abby Brathwaite

Low-fare airline REDjet is no longer accepting bookings on flights to Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica because of its continued delay in receiving approvals to operate commercially.

A statement from the airline yesterday said it had been forced to make the decision because of the lack of permission despite submitting all the required documents.

"REDjet is still experiencing regulatory delays in Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica and as a result the airline has been forced to make the decision to stop accepting bookings on flights to these two countries.

"REDjet cannot speak to the policies and operations of regulatory authorities but reaffirms that REDjet submitted all of the required documentation in a timely fashion and in accordance with the procedures and regulations of each country and met all the safety and ownership requirements to operate in the region."

The airline said it will continue to work on getting the necessary approvals for Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica and will be announcing new routes in the region in the coming months

"REDjet sincerely apologises for any inconvenience caused and remains 100 per cent committed to delivering our low fares to Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica.

REDjet is working across the region with 13 countries and will be announcing additional routes over the coming months and will continue to inform our customers of the latest developments as information comes to hand," the company said.

REDjet recently launched inaugural flights from Barbados to Guyana,

It said it received "tremendous passenger response" with travellers welcoming its new fares.

1]; } ?>