March 28, 2024, 06:14:36 AM

Author Topic: Tony Pulis backs Kenwyne Jones to shine  (Read 2566 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tony Pulis backs Kenwyne Jones to shine
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:59:27 PM »
Tony Pulis backs Kenwyne Jones to shine
By John Percy (Daily Star)

TONY PULIS insists Kenwyne Jones could play in the Champions League if he was more consistent.

Stoke boss Pulis reckons his £8m record signing has all the ­armoury to be turning out for Manchester United or Chelsea.

Instead, Jones has become a target for the boo-boys after a run of one goal in 13 games.

The giant Trinidad & Tobago ace has looked nothing like the player Chelsea skipper John Terry once branded the “best in the air in the entire Premier League.”

But Pulis is set to unleash Jones on Birmingham today, insisting he has top-four class.

He said: “Kenwyne has been up and down but that’s Kenwyne. If he was spot on every week, he wouldn’t be playing for Stoke – he’d be at one of the top four.

“Players go up and down and you have to accept that.

“He stayed behind on Tuesday doing extra work and after training he was doing his own stuff.

“He wants to do it and we want to help him. He’s part of the family and when things aren’t going well for people in respect of their family, we all rally round.

“Kenwyne just needs a goal to get his confidence back up. We’re sure playing up front with big John Carew will help him and get him back to where he wants to be.”

Stoke will head to St Andrew’s on the back of a stirring 3-2 win over Sunderland that edged them up to ninth.
Their climb has led to some players mentioning Europe next season.

But Pulis said: “We’ll just be keeping our feet on the ground and concentrating on staying up. We might need more than 40 points this season.

“I see some players have been talking about Europe – but we’re quite happy in Stoke-on-Trent at the moment!”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tony Pulis backs Kenwyne Jones to shine
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:31:08 AM »
Sound like Pulis does lie outta he teeth, or doh know nutten, the way not only the boo birds call it, but the big TT forward has so few supporters amongst his own. Wha Tony doh realize...in our expert, masterful coaching experience...that extra training, making the man, tired & lazy, and come game time, all he could do is walk all over the place..like ah star boy...boy, ah trini could pull them stunts with we? steups .  :devil:   Is so we does deal with each other man, lil picong...makes a man outta yuh. :-\.  Seriously...do fraid to back yuh boys, in spite of their faults & weakness, ppl won't think you're weak for it, they will actually think you're strong...back yuh boys, whiter yuh like them or not, they opening opportunities for your sons

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:04:52 PM »
So this is the third coach I think say Kenwyne have the potential to be a big four player...I need to see this man in training dred

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tony Pulis wrestles with how to handle the enigmatic Kenwyne Jones
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:11:20 AM »
Tony Pulis wrestles with how to handle the enigmatic Kenwyne Jones
By John Percy (fanhouse.co.uk)

It is a dilemma that risks rifts in board rooms and managers' reputations on the terraces - but how do you justify dropping your record signing?

After shattering the transfer record to recruit Kenwyne Jones in the summer, Tony Pulis must have been convinced that the giant Trinidad & Tobago international would solve Stoke's perennial goalscoring problem.

His talent has never been in question, with both Liverpool and Spurs coveting him in the past, and Pulis thought maybe an arm around the shoulder would have ensured that undoubted potential would be fully realised at the Britannia Stadium.

But it is becoming increasingly difficult for Pulis to keep the faith with the 26-year-old and it may now be time to finally take him out of the firing line or risk accusations of favouritism.

Pulis has insisted Jones would be chasing the Champions League if he was more consistent. He reckons the £8 million buy has all the weapons in his armoury to be turning out for the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea.

But Jones has recently become a surprise target for the boo boys after a string of disappointing displays and only one goal in the last 14 games.

He has looked nothing like the player Chelsea and England star John Terry once branded the "best in the air in the entire Premier League". Indeed, there was a humiliating moment in the recent game against Sunderland when Jones winning a rare header was met with ironic, mocking applause from his own supporters.

Pulis has hinted at off-field problems affecting Jones but needs to make a decision soon. He said: "Kenwyne has been up and down but that's Kenwyne. If he was spot on every week he wouldn't be playing for Stoke, he'd be at one of the top four.

"Players go up and down and you have to accept that. He wants to do it and we want to help him. He's part of the family and when things aren't going well for people in respect of their family we all rally around.

"Kenwyne just needs a goal to get his confidence back up. We're sure playing up front with big John Carew will help him and get him back to where he wants to be."

Recent events, however, have ensured that he may actually keep his place. Mama Sidibe's heartbreaking Achilles injury suffered in training, just as he was completing his rehabilitation, has robbed the Potters of one of their key men under Pulis.

There are also doubts over Ricardo Fuller, who made it clear he wanted to leave in January and is unhappy with the club's decision not to offer him a new contract. He almost joined Sunderland last month and his state of mind is unclear.

But the problems surrounding Jones will be causing Pulis the greatest headaches. Jones has shown glimpses of what he can do but they have been seldom seen, particularly recently. An FA Cup game against Brighton this weekend could be just what he needs, to rebuild his shattered confidence.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:32:32 AM »
Only thing I think will Motivate  this man a loan spell back in the Championship. If that don't wake him up nothing will

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
To shine what.......shoes??

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 08:56:26 AM »

Humorous, yet insulting in 4 words

If only yuh could release dat kinda venom on jack warner eh?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »

Humorous, yet insulting in 4 words

If only yuh could release dat kinda venom on jack warner eh?

ENTTTTTT
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
Bench is a big motivator.  Bench him and bring him on for the last 20 mins.  Do this a few games in a row.
And remind him that in this game we run, not stroll.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 09:45:50 AM »
Bench is a big motivator.  Bench him and bring him on for the last 20 mins.  Do this a few games in a row.
And remind him that in this game we run, not stroll.
If only...

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 10:18:33 AM »
Pulis is very stubborn so will probably keep playing him, however the fans aren't happy with him but get the feeling there was no one else.  Bringing in Carew gave them an alternative and Kenwyne is regarded as keeping out the fans favourite which is Fuller and think Carew is the better target man player.  Not a good combination for the fans not getting on Kenwynes back, he needs a few goals and quick.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 01:30:29 PM »
KJ needs to be benched...not for any message to be sent but because thats where he belongs.
Hart for president

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carew backs Jones to rediscover scoring touch
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 09:38:37 AM »
Carew backs Jones to rediscover scoring touch
By Martin Spinks (The Sentinel)

STOKE striker John Carew is reluctant to offer advice and help to sidekick Kenwyne Jones – but only because he doesn't believe he needs it.

Jones has found the net just once in his last seven starts and seven substitute appearances to lose number one billing in attack since Carew's arrival on loan from Aston Villa six games ago.

But the giant Norwegian, pictured below, insists he is impressed by what he has seen of seven-goal Jones during their short time together.

And he is certain the 26-year-old Trinidadian, main picture, who moved to the Britannia in the summer from Sunderland, will justify his club-record £8m price tag.

"From what I have seen of Kenwyne, he's a fantastic player and a very important one for Stoke," said Carew.

"I don't think there is anything wrong because from what I have seen he has been doing great.

"It is not right for me to say what other strikers can do. I just come and do my best and use my experience.

"Kenwyne is as important as anybody else in the team and I'm sure with his experience he will manage to come back."

Carew looks certain to spearhead Stoke's attack at Arsenal tomorrow – possibly in the kind of lone role employed in the 2-0 defeat at Liverpool – and he makes no bones about the task ahead.

"It's one of the biggest challenges away in the league, if not the biggest," warned Carew.

"But we have to go there, look forward to it and enjoy the moment. That's what we play football for and we have to believe in ourselves."

He says he saw little of Arsenal's 2-1 Champions League win against Barcelona on television last week, but didn't switch off because he was scared.

He goes gunning for a third goal in Stoke colours tomorrow after quickly impressing management and fans alike since joining the club.

But Carew remains guarded on his long-term plans in the summer when he becomes a free agent.

The 31-year-old striker acknowledged: "I have settled in fantastic and it has been great for now. The other lads have been fantastic for me and I hope it continues."

STOKE will face West Ham in the quarter-finals of the FA Cup on either March 12 or 13 after Avram Grant's team beat Burnley 5-1 last night.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 10:43:43 AM »
 :waiting:

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
Funny how everyone always says KJ is a great player and he's fine while we keep feeling like he isn't.  Maybe his charges and the expectations of him are generally being met as opposed to what we believe his purpose on the field should be?

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 11:03:46 AM »
Well, he have a stink attitude with us here, so dont expect me to show no love.

Besides, he head bigger than he game, he feel he reach, even Dwight bad talk him in public.

Come back down to reality Kenwyne, take a bush bath and try again. Sooner or later your athletic ability will run out and you have no skills to live on.

I wish you the best, but you need to start respecting us here to get back respect and I know some does over do it, but dont blame all.

Funny, how at Carnival time our players does just get sick !!!!
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »
Jones needs a goal, and I need a million dollars....  :rotfl:

Kenwyne, everybody have problems, get over it !

Jones just needs a goal - Kemp
The Press Association

Out-of-form Stoke striker Kenwyne Jones has been told to forget the softly-softly approach as he looks to end his goal drought.

Jones scored four goals in four successive games, and six overall in his first 14 appearances, following his club record £8million arrival from Sunderland last summer. But since the middle of November the Trinidad & Tobago star has found the net just once in his last 15 matches, and is currently on an eight-game barren run.

City assistant manager Dave Kemp has hinted at personal issues for Jones' loss of form, but maintains that rather than being molly-coddled, all he needs is a goal and he said: "Things go on in people's lives, little things that affect them - I don't want to discuss someone's personal stuff too much - but he'll be back buzzing very soon."

Jones was dropped for the first time this season for Wednesday's 1-0 loss at Arsenal, where he was an unused substitute.

Kemp continued: "You can do all sorts of things like put an arm around someone, but it's up to Kenwyne. He's a big boy.

"He just needs a goal - that's the biggest thing. If he can score it will give his confidence a boost. He doesn't need somebody blowing sweet nothings in his ear. His own inner belief will take over and we'll see the old Kenwyne back."

Asked whether Jones' personal problems were something he could overcome himself, Kemp added: "I had a big electricity bill the other day that upset me.

"Things go on in everybody's life, and some affect you more than others. But Kenwyne's fine, no problem at all. He'll be back firing on all cylinders very soon.

"He is a fantastic talent - someone who did very well when he first came here. He is just going through a dip right now.

"There is no doubt his form will return because he is a class player, and he has all the tools to cause teams major problems. We've complete faith he'll be performing at the highest level very soon."
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

giggsy11

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 12:58:12 PM »
Please if I let my personal problems interfere with me doing my job then I would not have a job. Bench his arse oui! I bet whatever problems I am sure has hell he contributed to it's existence! These players Rooney included, does do they shit and then can't concentrate on doing what they get paid well to do. Do you friggin job or fehire the wok! No empathy here!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »
Tony Pulis backs Kenwyne Jones to shine boots... or maybe pull stones.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 04:01:58 PM »
All this talk bout personal trouble...I feel John Terry bull he gyul

1]; } ?>