April 19, 2024, 06:52:39 PM

Author Topic: Living the ( Privileged) life in Trinidad Tobago..Now and Then  (Read 2013 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Living the ( Privileged) life in Trinidad Tobago..Now and Then
« on: February 12, 2011, 07:20:43 PM »
 A recent visit to Trinidad and checking out  the Rugby crowd introduced me to a segment of expatriates that are living  'd' life in Trinidad according to their own admission. It makes me wonder how they are so insular to the crime and the vicissitudes of  daily life as experienced by the ordinary citizens.

Them too, there is  this segment of our society that frequents the  bars like Shakers and one  by the Queens Park Oval where ah Carib is over the $ 20 dollar mark!!!!  and look nah some ah dem places is by membership only.

So how is it that if I choose to retire back in Sweet Trini, I have tuh  be subjected to a way of life that is different from the foreign man? Look nah subjected in many regards too.
Doh talk about the woman scene;....there is ah breed of Trini women who does only run down foreign.... ah see fuh meh own eyes why? the man and them dishing out the dollars. and look nah thsi happening  for donkey years.
Sparrow sang about it :
" Money dey love money they crave ...behind bumping  they walking in saga thing just because" Yankee dollars.

So what does it take to live the life in TnT?  check out some footage from the  50's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JerT7GmGfs0

History of Carnival and class structure: we inherited some of these things from them same euro-settlers who came here. So what we getting from these present days expats?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyN82x5_hjM   carnival Origins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtUVR76tAhA&feature=related

I eh go lie I kinda envy this so called privileged lifestyle that this few seem to harbor in my land. How does an expatriate, leave a lifestyle and come and adjust and live in TnT and proclaim that they eh going back? Then yuh have Tnt nationals abroad who eh going back home?  Things real back tuh front yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FIiw5hlBk8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yMp_BLWuso&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMjtBd6gtww&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s04e-P4hxjM&feature=related

« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 09:44:26 PM by AB.Trini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Re: Living the ( Privileged) life in Trinidad Tobago..Now and Then
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:41:29 AM »
So what has changed under this  government from the past? what is this government doing differently to attract TnT nationals  abroad to return home and contribute to our society?
What incentives are there for one to return and live back in TnT?

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 10:07:04 AM »
That life style was mainly Brits & Americans, received because of the development of the oil industry and provided for by the foreign companies for their upper management workers. At least some of those people worked dam hard to build the industry.
Look at the privilege life style our politicians enjoyed. Man like Errol Mahabir, O'halloran, Manning was living like Lords, simply by selling out the country
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »
ABT, i feel yuh on that. it have man who does go home for carnival and spend two weeks enjoy the best of what the country has to offer and come back talking bout how "trini sweet".

i does only laugh @ them, bc i can't live in no country where if i stand up for my self against an unfair police officer i could collect ah slap down, or i can't have nice things without worrying about attracting low lives and bandits, or i can't cuss mdcnt without getting a ticket or arrested bc they still have some 1700s colonial laws on the books.

there is so much things wrong with trinbago, that a fella who lived in ah efficient well rounded society will definitely have a hard time adjusting to that way of life. i for one don't really venture out too much when i go home.

i like the grass roots out lets, the coconut man, the doubles man, the breakfast shed, the fruit man, the corner chinese shop where i will stop and drink too malta and buy ah rounds for the tesses and come up the road, tomorrow is ah another day. hit ah two macarepe take ah lime in the panyard, take in ah tent and i dun wid dat!

i eh goin down no arrapetta ave in no fancy bar, or i eh goin by jenny's for them tuh tell me i have tuh dress up tuh come in their place, and i definitely eh goin back in republic bank fuh no body tuh tell meh tuh take off meh hat.

i does be down the other caribbean islands and is only then i will go to a fancy restaurant. in those places no body eh tellin yuh tuh take off yuh hat, no body eh tellin yuh dat yuh need tuh dress up to go out dinning, and the police doh interfere with you, especially when yuhs ah visitor to their shores. and in these places have real fine dinning bc they catering for the tourist industry, so better bars, better restaurants, way better beaches and no body eh trying tuh rob yuh and kill yuh fuh yuh own things.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 10:07:33 AM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 02:40:47 PM »
Just some views from a foreigner.

If you, for instance, own a house and rent it in London, you can get an income of £800-£1,000 as a working class person. So that equates to $8-$10k per month. So if you can find some work for $6-$8k per month, you're cruisin in T&T.

Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury, so my income is the lowest it's been for over 25 years, but of course, it goes a lot further in T&T. If I had been lucky enough to sell a house in England, I could have purchased a real big place here and rocked back, so I guess that's what many ex pats are doing.

"Living the dream" comes with some caveats: Aripita Ave, Movie Towne etc are the only places you can go out for a beer and really feel safe without being with a crew of locals. Even then, you check yourself when driving home. Although I have a local parlour where I feel is safe enough to go to.

It is very common to be over charged or to have to request your change as people assume you're a tourist.

Wearing a hat in a bank is most definitely not allowed in UK and hasn't been for around 15 years. It is a sound rule and greatly aids identification of bandits. There are many establishments in the UK that don't allow caps or hoodies including shopping centres.

One other thing....when I first saw a man with a machete, I s*it myself. In the UK, it is illegal to walk with anything larger than a penknife and even then the police could make your life difficult!

As far as I'm concerned, T&T is cool once you learn how to live here (as anywhere). I just wish I could catch a break to the big money. It's here, but it's a very select group!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »

If you, for instance, own a house and rent it in London, you can get an income of £800-£1,000 as a working class person. So that equates to $8-$10k per month. So if you can find some work for $6-$8k per month, you're cruisin in T&T.

Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury, so my income is the lowest it's been for over 25 years, but of course, it goes a lot further in T&T. If I had been lucky enough to sell a house in England, I could have purchased a real big place here and rocked back, so I guess that's what many ex pats are doing.

"Living the dream" comes with some caveats: Aripita Ave, Movie Towne etc are the only places you can go out for a beer and really feel safe without being with a crew of locals. Even then, you check yourself when driving home. Although I have a local parlour where I feel is safe enough to go to.

It is very common to be over charged or to have to request your change as people assume you're a tourist.

Wearing a hat in a bank is most definitely not allowed in UK and hasn't been for around 15 years. It is a sound rule and greatly aids identification of bandits. There are many establishments in the UK that don't allow caps or hoodies including shopping centres.

One other thing....when I first saw a man with a machete, I s*it myself. In the UK, it is illegal to walk with anything larger than a penknife and even then the police could make your life difficult!

As far as I'm concerned, T&T is cool once you learn how to live here (as anywhere). I just wish I could catch a break to the big money. It's here, but it's a very select group!!
IMO england for the most part is not a liberal state like canada and the USA. yes it might be a well rounded society, but they still have some catching up to do, even though they maybe first world.

here in america especially in the northern states, ah fella could cuss out ah police if he felt that he was being taken advantage of, he could sue the state if he was brutalized by a police officer, and he's basically not subjected to law that may infringe on his freedom, like wearing a hat for whatever reason, and in a bank of all places.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 04:17:41 PM »

IMO england for the most part is not a liberal state like canada and the USA. yes it might be a well rounded society, but they still have some catching up to do, even though they maybe first world.

here in america especially in the northern states, ah fella could cuss out ah police if he felt that he was being taken advantage of, he could sue the state if he was brutalized by a police officer, and he's basically not subjected to law that may infringe on his freedom, like wearing a hat for whatever reason, and in a bank of all places.

I find the police in UK very approachable. They tend to react with you in most cases as a customer (of course, that may be different if you have a different skin colour). I'm fully in support of not wearing hats, crash helmets, hoodies and caps in banks and hoodies in shopping malls. I understand your point about being liberal, but if there is a tendency for bandits to hide their faces using hoodies and caps, it seems reasonable to ask people to remove them in those institutions.
I liked the fact that there were regulated laws. Sometimes the the laws put in place are ridiculous, such as bananas must be straight and a blackboard has to be called a chalkboard, but generally I feel that giving society too much freedom creates a mild anarchy....as can be seen on the roads in T&T and particularly practiced by maxi taxi drivers...and their users! 

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 06:24:26 PM »
Breds, freedom don't spoil no body, it's the lack of police presence and a bad justice system that does fack up a society. when i was growing up trinidad had less laws than today and it was 100 times safer.

man was drinking beer in their cars, keeping guns and cutlass in their houses and parking on the sidewalk just like today, the only difference was that the police was less corrupt and took their job seriously, and fellas was really going to jail for real, and we had more freedom and less laws.

the hat, hoodie and bandanna thing too old time and victorian for my taste. today it have man traveling all over the world in short pants Tshirt and slippers, so you tellin me that i could get on ah plane in my jockey shorts but i can't go in ah bank where i have my hard earn laid up where these mdfckrs is making ah mint off it and i can't walk in that bank with ah hat on? nah that law too fackin bourgeois for me!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 06:25:59 PM by just cool »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 06:50:10 PM »
Just cool is right... that no hat in bank rule is bullshit, the fact that it flies in the UK is immaterial.  Simple re-positioning of cameras will allow for faces to be captured on film... as is done here in the US where cameras are set from the perspective of over the tellers' shoulders.  This isn't rocket science.  Besides, rastas with their knit hats don't have anything obscuring their face yet they are prevented from entering banks.  What if a muslim woman show up in a burqa and hijab?  She ban too?  What about sunglasses and a Groucho Marx moustache?

Beyond all of this... who needs to go into a bank anymore anyways?  Tale of the tape in backwards ass Trinidad.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 02:53:24 AM »
Just cool is right... that no hat in bank rule is bullshit, the fact that it flies in the UK is immaterial.  Simple re-positioning of cameras will allow for faces to be captured on film... as is done here in the US where cameras are set from the perspective of over the tellers' shoulders.  This isn't rocket science.  Besides, rastas with their knit hats don't have anything obscuring their face yet they are prevented from entering banks.  What if a muslim woman show up in a burqa and hijab?  She ban too?  What about sunglasses and a Groucho Marx moustache?

Beyond all of this... who needs to go into a bank anymore anyways?  Tale of the tape in backwards ass Trinidad.

As far as I know there is no rule against going into a bank in the UK with a hat/cap on. I've done it several times and I've seen other people doing it. And obviously burqas, hijabs etc are allowed.

And just cool, I dont understand why you think US police are better than UK police. British police are extremely well trained and well behaved. They don't carry guns and they are far less threatening than american police. You might be able to sue the state if you get brutalised in the US, but you wouldnt get brutalised in the first place in the UK.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 06:27:00 PM »

As far as I know there is no rule against going into a bank in the UK with a hat/cap on. I've done it several times and I've seen other people doing it. And obviously burqas, hijabs etc are allowed.

And just cool, I dont understand why you think US police are better than UK police. British police are extremely well trained and well behaved. They don't carry guns and they are far less threatening than american police. You might be able to sue the state if you get brutalised in the US, but you wouldnt get brutalised in the first place in the UK.
Oh yeh??   :notlistening:

i may not live in the UK, but i seriously doubt that the ppl whom i have contact with that lives there who told me differently was lying.

remember, darcus howe and his brother john is friends of mine, plus i've met micheal the archangel some decades ago when he was home cooling out from the riots he was involved in, yeh the same micheal the archangle from the archangel pose.

english cops was known for billy clubbing man into unconsciousness. i guess that's why you had a riot last yr in hackney, bc "english cops are professional and kind". you should get a hold of linton kwasi johnson and maccabee who always bunning english bobbies for their brutal style. 

please you not talking to some backward couch potato now fella.

PS: check this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCoAhUZX4ww
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY0DXWuIPgQ&feature=related
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:20:39 PM by just cool »

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 04:34:53 AM »
JC they are instances anywhere..but i live in tottenham and the police walking thru the community hailing out people and honestly personally i never have any problem with them. I never feel bad approaching the police in london about anything, even asking them if they know the pub i was trying to meet friends at was. They are very helpful for the most part, that is not to say there aren't bad apples. But personally I have had a lot better experiences with the police here in the UK than I have had with the US cops that i have had run ins with.
But that's just my personal experience. The billy clubbing may have been before, but these days i don't think that kind of brutality happens often and probably is rare. What i do know plenty youths in the area have a problem with is the stop and searches which i can understand. But even then i been with fellas who have had that done and the police were quite polite through telling us there had been a report of a mugging by a group of males in hoodies and just so happened we were in the area (before yuh think it was  just me and some white friends lemme say it was two dreads, 2 other black males and myself).
But again my personal experience will be different to anothers
Back in Trini...

1]; } ?>