March 28, 2024, 04:39:13 AM

Author Topic: Some Justice  (Read 3059 times)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Some Justice
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:05:02 PM »
BANDIT KILLED
Barrackpore residents retaliate after bloody attack

By Carolyn Kissoon South Bureau
Story Created: Feb 11, 2011 at 11:57 PM ECT
Story Updated: Feb 11, 2011 at 11:57 PM ECT

A man who chased after two suspected criminals, who moments earlier chopped and robbed his relatives on Thursday, running them over with his car, was in police custody last night.
The 53-year-old man was detained by police, after one of the suspects, Keston Contrere, died at hospital.
The second man was beaten by vigilantes who tied him to a van and stood guard until the police arrived.
The suspects, armed with cutlasses, entered a house at Old Clarke Road, Barrackpore, around 5.20 p.m. on Thursday.

Nesha Alexander, 28, and her two children—Kevin, eleven, and Kaitlyn, four—were in the kitchen.
Her husband, Roger Narine Hosein, was asleep in a bedroom.

Alexander's mother, Angela Ali, said "She was by me, two houses away, and then left to come home around 4.30 p.m. Nesha said she and the children were in the kitchen when she heard a click on the door.
"Then two men ran in and began demanding money and jewelry.
"One of the men ran into the bedroom and started chopping 'Lils', that's how we call Roger. He couldn't retaliate because he was sleeping," she said.

Ali, 48, said her daughter and grandchildren were locked into a bathroom while the men ransacked the house and stole jewelry, cellphones and clothing.
"My daughter was beaten on the head with the cutlass. And one of the men began choking her son and asking him for the jewelry. They even tried to hit the little child, but Nesha blocked them. I cannot understand why they took her clothes, even her underwear," she said.
Hosein, a 24-year-old fish vendor, was chopped multiple times in the face and head. He remains in critical condition at the San Fernando General Hospital.
"After the men left the house, my daughter ran out screaming that someone just killed Lils. We thought he was dead," she said.

A male relative, who heard the woman's screams, ran to his car and chased after the men.
According to Ali, "He (the driver) found the men a short distance down the road. And when they saw his car they began waving the cutlass in the air and demanding that he stop. I think they were trying to get a car to escape. But he drove the car into them. The bandits got up and ran into the lagoon. (The relative) jumped out of the car and ran after the men. He was beaten with the cutlass. But some other villagers came and helped him drag out one of the bandits," Ali said.

By the time police arrived one of the suspect was captured and tied to a van. The officers went into the lagoon and fished out the second man, who was unconscious. He was pronounced dead at the Princes Town Health Facility.

The dead man was identified as 26-year-old Contrere, of King Street, Princes Town. His 23-year-old accomplice was under police guard at hospital last evening.
Ali said, "I cannot understand why the police held (the relative) who went after the bandits. If the police don't want to do their job, then they should allow other people to do it. He was trying to protect Nesha and I don't think he was wrong. He was taken into custody last night and we don't know what is happening. They said a man died and they need to do their investigations."

Alexander's home was ransacked. The bedroom's floor, mattress and towel were stained with Hosein's blood. Ali said Hosein moved in with her daughter several months ago.

Alexander's marriage, with the children's father, ended three years ago.
"But we still had a good relationship with her husband. He would come and look for us and the children went by him every other weekend. I cannot understand why these people targeted my daughter's house," she said.
Ali said her grandchildren were traumatised.
"They are not talking. My grandson is in pain because they choke him," she said.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Some Justice
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:57:57 PM »
Check out Gibbs comments in response to this...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »
You really expect the comish to give his stamp of approval?

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 09:21:13 AM »

No, but he should know when to put out a press release, silence would have been golden here
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 09:24:26 AM »
Minister Panday: Attack criminals with full force
By AZARD ALI and CECILY ASSON Sunday, February 13 20
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,135693.html

THE group of villagers who attacked two bandits in Penal, one of whom died, has gotten moral support from a Government minister who yesterday called for a change to the law of self-defence to allow citizens to attack bandits “with full force”.

Subhas Panday who is Minister in the Ministry of National Security, told Sunday Newsday yesterday that with 56 murders in 42 days, bandits are holding the country to ransom. And the 1967 British law, he said, is irrelevant to a criminal-infested society such as Trinidad and Tobago.

Panday was yesterday expected to visit Roger Hosein, 24, and wife Nisha Alexander, 28, at the San Fernando General Hospital, who were victims of Thursday’s bloody attack by two cutlass-weilding bandits at their home in Old Clarke Road, Penal. They were chopped and cash was stolen from them. But a group of villagers reacted on hearing the victims screaming in their home and as the two men were leaving with the cash and Hosein’s keys to his car, they pounced on them.

A villager got into his car and ran the vehicle into them. According to a police report, the two bandits fell on the road. One of them, Kenton Contara, 28, of Freeport, was found dead and the other man who sustained injuries, was tied up and handed over to police officers who arrived on the scene.

The villager was arrested by police and up to yesterday was detained at the Barrackpore Police Station. Panday told Sunday Newsday that he had also intended to visit him at the station. A police report stated that the villager is still assisting investigators into the circumstances of how the bandit, Contara, met his death.

But Panday said, “I’m saying, that having regard to what happened when the bandits were attacked, the law should be changed. I’m saying that given our crime rate, the citizens should be given the power to attack with full force, any person who is inflicting violence on them in the commission of a crime.”

As it stands at present, the Criminal Law Act of 1967 inherited from England, states in Section 3 (1), that a person may use reasonable force in defence of his person and property. But the Minister in the Ministry of National Security minister said yesterday that the law has become irrelevant to Trinidad, and applicable to England and Canada where law enforcement responses to criminal acts of people are within the range of five to ten minutes.

“But in Trinidad, we are under siege by the bandits and people are locked down in their homes like a jail. The time has come for the citizens, like in Penal, to be given the authority in law, to attack anyone who is attacking them and their property.”

Panday said that his recommendation for citizens to attack bandits with “full force” is even more relevant, given the police delayed response to criminal incidents and the low detection crime rate.

He commented, “The incident with the villagers in Clarke Road net a 100 percent detection rate — they dealt with both criminals. But today when you telephone the police, they come the following day. Our crime detection rate is below 20 percent.”

Yesterday, Hosein’s mother-in-law Angela Ali , 48, expressed outrage over the call by Police Commissioner Dwayne Gibbs, for persons not to use excessive force on bandits caught committing crimes.

But Ali told Sunday Newsday, “Tell me in a case like this, how are we to react? The commissioner has a gun to protect himself, we have nothing so we must find a way to defend ourselves when we are under attack.” She said that the response by the villagers on Thursday was a “natural act” in having to save a family under attack. “We did the police a favour by catching the bandits. We did what the police should be doing,” Ali said.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »
I totally agree with amending legislation to protect self defence and defence of property rights. The application of our present laws seem to bring undue stress if not punish people for defending themselves. I think the minister should use a little more caution in his statements though -full force real dangerous when talking to a village mob. You don't want to encourage vigilantism.

I agree with the overall point that we could do better to protect law abiding citizens.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »
attack wid full force mi foot.. wey di f**k dem dutty police dem doing?  get raid a di police dem and put the army in charge mi sey.  but anyway one less crook dey bout....

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 12:25:59 PM »
unless dey figured gibbs was going to put he cape on and fly man around on he back, dey really need some serious public investment to achieve a 5-10 minute response time.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 05:03:45 PM »

No, but he should know when to put out a press release, silence would have been golden here

........or start to do something to make we feel he really earning he millions.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 05:40:52 PM »

........or start to do something to make we feel he really earning he millions.....

Yuh just jealous d money  yuh have 2 wuk 4 all yuh pennies while he gettin paid millions 4 doin nutten. Don't hate find out what he do and c if u can do it 2.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 08:31:38 AM »
I think the father has been released.
Om Lalla on radio, power 102 as his attny.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
CHECK THIS

Police to consult over charges for suspect
Killing of Ramon Sabga...

By Akile Simon
Story Created: Feb 13, 2011 at 11:50 PM ECT

POLICE investigating the road traffic accident which claimed the life of businessman Ramon Sabga are expected to seek advice on whether or not the suspect held in connection with the incident should be charged with causing death by dangerous driving.

The 21-year-old suspect, who lives at Ariapita Road, St Ann's, may face four charges of driving a vehicle without a valid certificate of insurance and driver's permit and using a vehicle without the owner's consent.
Officers probing the incident are expected to consult later today with ACP Simon Alexis, head of the North-West region, and other legal officers to determine if a charge of causing death by dangerous driving should be laid against the accused.

Police said around 11.40 p.m on Friday, the suspect was driving a white Mitsubishi station wagon north along Alexandra Street, when he failed to stop at the corner of Alexandra Street and St Clair Avenue.
The vehicle slammed into Sabga's BMW, pinning the car against a wall.

Textile retailer Sabga, 70, the owner of Niam Sabga Ltd at Queen Street, Port of Spain, was pronounced dead on arrival at the Port of Spain General Hospital shortly after the incident.
A post-mortem at the hospital on Saturday showed he died from multiple internal injuries and death was instantaneous following the impact.

After the accident, police said the suspect and another passenger emerged from the wagon and fled the scene. The suspect later went at the Belmont Police Station to report the accident.

He was detained by police and failed a breathalyser test, which registered at 43 microgrammes, above the 35 microgramme legal alcohol limit while driving.

Cpl Jitindra Toolaram of the St Clair Police Station is investigating the incident.
Sabga's funeral service takes place tomorrow from 10 a.m. at the Church of the Assumption, Maraval
(Muslim)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
They know who de 'suspect' is but they not naming him?  Other places in de same newspaper, man get pick up on ah shooting charge and he name, age and locale publish bold bold.  I not trying to inject class/race into it but ah can't help but think is some li'l rich boy who get ketch.  The press just need to develop a consistent protocol... and step into the modern age, nutten wrong with naming the suspect.

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »
They know who de 'suspect' is but they not naming him?  Other places in de same newspaper, man get pick up on ah shooting charge and he name, age and locale publish bold bold.  I not trying to inject class/race into it but ah can't help but think is some li'l rich boy who get ketch.  The press just need to develop a consistent protocol... and step into the modern age, nutten wrong with naming the suspect.

well we know for sure the victim is a big shot, so it depends now if the suspect has bigger guns than the victim had.
(Muslim)

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 04:34:20 PM »

same thing i was saying. Been asking around but noone knows or they eh saying
Back in Trini...

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 05:02:29 PM »
Well CNC saying the fella been charged but still not giving the name!
Back in Trini...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 06:13:52 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong fellas but don't they normally not give out the name until the suspect has appeared in court??

As for the accident, I tired having to stop by those junctions that criss cross the street running from the QRC down to King George the V park (forget the name at the moment) to let some jackass fly out the minor road and continue on dey merry way.....steups!!
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 07:09:14 PM »
Well CNC saying the fella been charged but still not giving the name!

It so silly... eventually it ha' tuh come out.  At some point de man have to show up in court.

Correct me if I'm wrong fellas but don't they normally not give out the name until the suspect has appeared in court??

As for the accident, I tired having to stop by those junctions that criss cross the street running from the QRC down to King George the V park (forget the name at the moment) to let some jackass fly out the minor road and continue on dey merry way.....steups!!

If that is the policy then it is a dotish one... aside from which they don't always honor it.  As I said, read any ah dem papers and yuh'll see man name plaster all over it the day after they get pick up by police.  Somehow I doubt they reach in court by then.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:11:09 PM by Bakes »

1]; } ?>