March 28, 2024, 09:14:07 AM

Author Topic: Trinidad Police Strike  (Read 14228 times)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
Re: Trinidad Police Strike
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 11:02:25 AM »

Change can't start from the bottom up, it never has and never will.

Yuh referring to the police force service in this case and not speaking generally about how life works right??  Cuz the Eyptian people might want to disagree.....

Bakes, what you posted is exactly why I gave Gibbes 6 months before he ride out......dat date is March 14th.  As of right now it seems like he goh be here pass that date.  If so he either real brave or real dotish..... :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »

Yuh referring to the police force service in this case and not speaking generally about how life works right??  Cuz the Eyptian people might want to disagree.....

a distinction need to me made here. there's destructive change and constructive change. bottom up destructive change is what going on in egypt. if yuh want to build a police service or civil institution or something organized, that something wholly different.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 11:55:54 AM »

Bakes, what you posted is exactly why I gave Gibbes 6 months before he ride out......dat date is March 14th.  As of right now it seems like he goh be here pass that date.  If so he either real brave or real dotish..... :-\

EGYPT!!!
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 12:14:55 PM »
Talk. How can we justify purchasing equipment and conduct crime analysis valued millions of dollars but fail to adequately compensate the officers assigned to operate,manage and implement them risking their lives daily come on people let's admit that no amount of money will make most of us go into the hills of laventille or trainline in marabella or pinto hell no. I just want to feel safe again. Pay police officers a fair salary now. Pass this on so the authorities may hear the public's support towards the officers plight

weary? is you type dat?...you in rehab or wha?

No I cut and paste it from an email.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 12:16:10 PM »
this is yu chance Trinidad to get raid of dem dutty f**king babbylon dem and replace all them faggots with good cops..

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »
Wrong attitude partner.  I disagree with that.  Change can't start from the bottom up, it never has and never will.  What, the inmates will run the assylum?  Please! What about all the "white" police officers from Scotland yard and pay them big big money, wasn't that an issue?  In fact the gov't say they got the pay structure directly from the previous regime. 
Bottom line is they brought a foreign PC b/c he has no allegiance to anyone.  In other words no partner partner thing.  Yuh have tuh prove yuhself to the new PC. 

Who said anything about inmates running asylum... you sure you read what I write??  You can't change the mentality of the workers by just bringing in some outsider with bright ideas and foisting it on the workforce, you need to change the mentality on the frontlines first in order to get buy-in.  If man ent buying into what you bringing then you just wasting yuh time.  You could say it has never worked but I telling you from first hand experience that that is how it is done... especially when you dealing with the public sector.  Before changing careers I spent 5 years in management consulting, the last two working with HUD on improving some of their processes.  Is the very same thing we encountered.  Upper management was seen as being disconnected from the day to day concerns of workers... just like police officers on the ground in TnT view Gibbs.  In fact that dichotomy existed even before Gibbs... top brass has always been seen as being out of touch.  Change has to start from the bottom... Gibbs himself said as much when he first arrived talking about making the force more professional... you obviously can't do that from talking about it from up on Mt. Zion.

As for the white consultants from Scotland Yard... how de France is that even the same thing as hiring a white outsider to run the whole show?  I know you understand the difference between a consultant and a CEO... the most obvious being that you don't have to take orders from no consultant.

I don't know what "wrong attitude" you talking about when I only presenting what is very likely the mindset of the rank and file constable in TnT.  Doh argue with me argue with them.
Ok to quote experience, I'm on a director level for the gov't as well so I also know what I'm talking about.  Been in the mgt game for the past 12 years dread so no need to explain tuh me cause like you I also know.  Fact is mgt is not an exact science.  There are multiple schools of mgt that all aspire to get to the same place.

Buy in comes from the ability of the people above to "listen" to their subordinates.  It never works whereby the employees say we want this and we want that b/c point blank you'll never get a consensus from the employees anyway.  I will continue to disagree that change has to start on the bottom.  If yuh tell meh the PC should listen to his staff and make recommendations based on that, I'll agree.  But change starts at the top partner.  For all that say Egypt is an rare exception..

If was me, I wudda do all kinda underhanded stuff to the Police officers b/c what they doing is absolute crap.  Putting the citizenry in danger in totally unacceptable.  Nuff men wudda get stripped of their ranks.  And for those of us that think it can't be done, think again.  Management could create a "file" on anyone to either strip or fire yuh....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 12:58:14 PM »
Ok to quote experience, I'm on a director level for the gov't as well so I also know what I'm talking about.  Been in the mgt game for the past 12 years dread so no need to explain tuh me cause like you I also know.  Fact is mgt is not an exact science.  There are multiple schools of mgt that all aspire to get to the same place.

Therefore you prove my point... you can't say that change cannot begin from the bottom.  Heavy-handed implementation of policy works best in the private sector, not in the public sector where employees are insulated from recriminations by policy and union protection.

Buy in comes from the ability of the people above to "listen" to their subordinates.  It never works whereby the employees say we want this and we want that b/c point blank you'll never get a consensus from the employees anyway.  I will continue to disagree that change has to start on the bottom.  If yuh tell meh the PC should listen to his staff and make recommendations based on that, I'll agree.  But change starts at the top partner.  For all that say Egypt is an rare exception..

This is what puzzling me... I dunno why you insist on interpreting this as letting the rank and file dictate anything.  I never said that and even pointed that out earlier.  When I say change has to start from the bottom up, policy might come from above, but you need to change the individual mindset of each and every officer on the ground in order for change to take root.  Every constable has to start looking at his job as a profession and not a pastime... policing is not about the gun and uniform and the gallerying that it entitles you to, it's about being professional in the consistent and efficient execution of duties... perhaps the most important duty in all of society, the bedrock of law and order.  Unless you get a man to recognize this then all the renting gun and drinking on the job and driving like ah mad man, on shoulder, against traffice etc. not going to stop.  White man moses could come and hand down as much law as he want but them fellas go just ignore he and ride out the storm until the next CoP comes along.  And when I say "them fellas" I ent just mean the low-level grunts... clearly the early dissatisfaction with Gibbs and how he was foisted on them is throughout the rank and file, on every level of command.

If was me, I wudda do all kinda underhanded stuff to the Police officers b/c what they doing is absolute crap.  Putting the citizenry in danger in totally unacceptable.  Nuff men wudda get stripped of their ranks.  And for those of us that think it can't be done, think again.  Management could create a "file" on anyone to either strip or fire yuh....

I self doh like the sick out idea and think it's a very dangerous tool to use... man like Selwyn Richardson get ambush, the retired police fella some weeks back... clearly it have a breed ah bandit who doh really care.  To leave the PM, AG and CJ house unguarded... to not show up in court to prosecute cases... that is a slippery slope.  But Kamla self fanning flames, man sitting down and watching how money getting spend vaille-qui-vaille, yet she taking a hard stance with them and telling dem to take the 5% or ride out.  That is not sound negotiating practice if you ask me.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »
TT police cyah even catch ah one leg chicken but have the bold face to ask for 40% rise,in England that kind of rise is unheard of,yuh lucky if yuh get 5%.I ent no politician but if I in charge me nah gi de more than 5 coz dem wages I check looks OK.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »
Ok to quote experience, I'm on a director level for the gov't as well so I also know what I'm talking about.  Been in the mgt game for the past 12 years dread so no need to explain tuh me cause like you I also know.  Fact is mgt is not an exact science.  There are multiple schools of mgt that all aspire to get to the same place.

Therefore you prove my point... you can't say that change cannot begin from the bottom.  Heavy-handed implementation of policy works best in the private sector, not in the public sector where employees are insulated from recriminations by policy and union protection.

Buy in comes from the ability of the people above to "listen" to their subordinates.  It never works whereby the employees say we want this and we want that b/c point blank you'll never get a consensus from the employees anyway.  I will continue to disagree that change has to start on the bottom.  If yuh tell meh the PC should listen to his staff and make recommendations based on that, I'll agree.  But change starts at the top partner.  For all that say Egypt is an rare exception..

This is what puzzling me... I dunno why you insist on interpreting this as letting the rank and file dictate anything.  I never said that and even pointed that out earlier.  When I say change has to start from the bottom up, policy might come from above, but you need to change the individual mindset of each and every officer on the ground in order for change to take root.  Every constable has to start looking at his job as a profession and not a pastime... policing is not about the gun and uniform and the gallerying that it entitles you to, it's about being professional in the consistent and efficient execution of duties... perhaps the most important duty in all of society, the bedrock of law and order.  Unless you get a man to recognize this then all the renting gun and drinking on the job and driving like ah mad man, on shoulder, against traffice etc. not going to stop.  White man moses could come and hand down as much law as he want but them fellas go just ignore he and ride out the storm until the next CoP comes along.  And when I say "them fellas" I ent just mean the low-level grunts... clearly the early dissatisfaction with Gibbs and how he was foisted on them is throughout the rank and file, on every level of command.

I self doh like the sick out idea and think it's a very dangerous tool to use... man like Selwyn Richardson get ambush, the retired police fella some weeks back... clearly it have a breed ah bandit who doh really care.  To leave the PM, AG and CJ house unguarded... to not show up in court to prosecute cases... that is a slippery slope.  But Kamla self fanning flames, man sitting down and watching how money getting spend vaille-qui-vaille, yet she taking a hard stance with them and telling dem to take the 5% or ride out.  That is not sound negotiating practice if you ask me.
Ahhh...finally we getting somewhere.  :beermug: :beermug:

Ah think we really saying the same thing but if the PC have any backbone he can get rid of people.  Just because employees are unionized etc don't mean people cannot lose their jobs.  This is a common misconception...   
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 02:17:41 PM »
Ahhh...finally we getting somewhere.  :beermug: :beermug:

Ah think we really saying the same thing but if the PC have any backbone he can get rid of people.  Just because employees are unionized etc don't mean people cannot lose their jobs.  This is a common misconception...   

No doubt... even unionized employees can be terminated.  What I'm saying is that it is much more difficult to get rid of public sector employees because there are built in processes for redress... there must be an escalation process, warning etc. before termination.  After termination there is appeal etc.  This applies to the US of course, but there are some analogues in TnT.  All this on top of union protection which as part of the CBA has contractually-negotiated separation processes as well.  By no means am I saying unionized employees can't be terminated... just that it's easier for them to push back against management without losing their jobs.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2011, 07:56:44 AM »
Jack: Sickout action by cops regrettable
'PM's lack of security a good test of popularity'
By Keino Swamber South Bureau

Story Created: Feb 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Feb 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM ECT )

WORKS and Transport Minister Jack Warner has described as illegal this week's sickout action taken by some police officers, in protest of the five per cent salary increase being offered by Government. He said it was unfortunate and regrettable.

Warner was speaking yesterday at the Couva North constituency office before touring the area to determine its road rehabilitation and drainage needs.

He was accompanied by Chaguanas Mayor Orlando Nagessar, MP for Couva North Ramona Ramdial, Minister in the Ministry of Works and Transport Stacy Roopnarine and other ministry officials.

"We in no way condone the strike action that is taking place, especially by the Police Service. But we are very thankful for those who are on the job and those who have decided to perform in the service of the nation," Warner said

Commenting on the absence of Guard and Emergency Branch (GEB) police officers from the private residences of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan and Chief Justice Ivor Archie, Warner said it was disappointing the officers would take such action, "especially with the kind of Prime Minister we have".

"Our Prime Minister is approachable, open and amenable. But at the end of the day, I don't even think our Prime Minister needs security. She is the kind of person who could walk anywhere," he said.

"So, in many ways, I am saying this is a good test to see how popular or unpopular she is. She can walk anywhere, anytime without security. At the end of the day, we will see if the guys did something correct of not. However, I don't condone what they have done. It was wrong, it was illegal and it cannot put them in a good light."

Two weeks ago, Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar said the five per cent wage offer was final and the Government could not afford a 40 per cent wage demand.

Yesterday, Warner said the assertion by Opposition MP Pennelope Beckles-Robinson that the country is in a crisis as a result of the stalled negotiations was not a correct one.

"There is (also) no impasse. The fact is that the Government has said that we do not have the ability to pay the kind of money that the people are asking for," he said.

"I came back (from Jamaica) this afternoon about two o'clock, and I read somewhere where the (Finance) minister said if he had the money, he would pay them. If I had the money, I, too, would have paid them. We don't have the money and, therefore, you cannot get blood out of stone.

"The last Government did not give us the kind of latitude to pay the kind of salaries we want to pay, and people have to understand that and respect that."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Jack__Sickout_action_by_cops_regrettable-116369774.html

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2011, 12:59:42 PM »
   I believe this sickout is more than money , the police been working with the salary for years ,they was not satisfied but they was working .

I am of the op onion the police feel they was disrespected by the PP party , when they brought the foreign
COP and his assistant paying them this big salary and the locals getting crumbs , matter not the Gov should fix fix the police with a local Cop but by bringing Gibbs an his assistant they kill their spirit mentally .

I feel the Police service believe that the PP party do not care about them so the are show them that they do not care either.

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2011, 01:31:59 PM »
Jack: Sickout action by cops regrettable
'PM's lack of security a good test of popularity'
By Keino Swamber South Bureau

Story Created: Feb 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Feb 16, 2011 at 10:50 PM ECT )

WORKS and Transport Minister Jack Warner has described as illegal this week's sickout action taken by some police officers, in protest of the five per cent salary increase being offered by Government. He said it was unfortunate and regrettable.

Warner was speaking yesterday at the Couva North constituency office before touring the area to determine its road rehabilitation and drainage needs.

He was accompanied by Chaguanas Mayor Orlando Nagessar, MP for Couva North Ramona Ramdial, Minister in the Ministry of Works and Transport Stacy Roopnarine and other ministry officials.

"We in no way condone the strike action that is taking place, especially by the Police Service. But we are very thankful for those who are on the job and those who have decided to perform in the service of the nation," Warner said

Commenting on the absence of Guard and Emergency Branch (GEB) police officers from the private residences of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, Attorney General Anand Ramlogan and Chief Justice Ivor Archie, Warner said it was disappointing the officers would take such action, "especially with the kind of Prime Minister we have".

"Our Prime Minister is approachable, open and amenable. But at the end of the day, I don't even think our Prime Minister needs security. She is the kind of person who could walk anywhere," he said.

"So, in many ways, I am saying this is a good test to see how popular or unpopular she is. She can walk anywhere, anytime without security. At the end of the day, we will see if the guys did something correct of not. However, I don't condone what they have done. It was wrong, it was illegal and it cannot put them in a good light."

Two weeks ago, Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar said the five per cent wage offer was final and the Government could not afford a 40 per cent wage demand.

Yesterday, Warner said the assertion by Opposition MP Pennelope Beckles-Robinson that the country is in a crisis as a result of the stalled negotiations was not a correct one.

"There is (also) no impasse. The fact is that the Government has said that we do not have the ability to pay the kind of money that the people are asking for," he said.

"I came back (from Jamaica) this afternoon about two o'clock, and I read somewhere where the (Finance) minister said if he had the money, he would pay them. If I had the money, I, too, would have paid them. We don't have the money and, therefore, you cannot get blood out of stone.

"The last Government did not give us the kind of latitude to pay the kind of salaries we want to pay, and people have to understand that and respect that."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Jack__Sickout_action_by_cops_regrettable-116369774.html

JW talking shyte as usual. If it illegal then take disciplinary action nah.........only ah set ah grand-charge and talk nothing else. He cannot charge none of them. Take two days, report to work and write ah sick letter.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2011, 02:05:49 PM »
JW talking shyte as usual. If it illegal then take disciplinary action nah.........only ah set ah grand-charge and talk nothing else. He cannot charge none of them. Take two days, report to work and write ah sick letter.

Exactly... "illegal" mih ass.

Zulu... think yuh hit the nail on the head with the disrespect factor.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2011, 01:52:02 AM »
From Newsday:

20% FOR POLICE

By NALINEE SEELAL Friday, February 18 2011

Government is set to offer a 20 percent increase in salaries and other benefits to police officers.

The negotiations could start as early as today between Government, the Police Social and Welfare Association and the Chief Personnel Officer (CPO).

Sources revealed yesterday that a Government minister met with an executive member of the Police Social and Welfare Association and made the offer this past Tuesday, the second day of a sickout by hundreds of police officers.

The sickout was triggered by an impasse over the CPO’s offer of a five percent salary increase while the association demanded 40 percent.

Police security for Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, President George Maxwell Richards and the Parliament was affected by the sickout on Monday and Tuesday and soldiers were called out to assist in their protection.

A Government minister was mandated to meet with the executive member of the police association as the Prime Minister felt she could not risk having the country’s security compromised by another sickout, which was referred to as “blue flu.”

“The Prime Minister is very concerned that the safety and security of the country could be at risk if officers continue with sickout action, and she has indicated that she wants the grievances of the officers settled in quick time and we support her in this,” a Government source said yesterday.

During Tuesday’s meeting, the Government minister made a compromise offer of 20 percent to the police association executive member and Newsday understands the rest of the executive responded favourably when told of the revised proposal.

Sources said president of the police association Sgt Anand Ramesar faxed a letter to the Office of the Prime Minister yesterday, at about 1.30 pm, in which he asked for a meeting with Persad-Bissessar.

The one-sentence letter read: “I request a meeting with you re Compensation for police officers.”

It was handed to Persad-Bissessar as she was addressing a meeting of Cabinet. She told the Cabinet what the letter was about and indicated her willingness to meet the association as early as today.

It remained unclear yesterday, where Government will get the money to pay the police.

However, it has been reported that Government was keenly aware of how citizens felt about crime, and was concerned about the country’s security during the rest of the Carnival season.

The police association called on officers to boycott duties at Carnival fetes and shows. There were concerns that such action would affect major shows this weekend such as the Chutney Soca Monarch finals at Skinner Park, San Fernando and Panorama semi-finals at Queen’s Park Savannah, Port-of-Spain.

Government also wants to ensure the protection of citizens and visitors during the two days of Carnival parades on March 7 and 8.

The last time police officers received an increase in salaries was in 2007, and last October they received a $1,000 special allowance.

During yesterday’s post-Cabinet media briefing at the Office of the Prime Minister in St Clair, Minister of National Security Brigadier John Sandy said Persad-Bissessar is willing to have discussions with the police.

“I know that the Honourable Prime Minister has indicated her eagerness to speak with them and I know that something good is going to come out of it,” said Sandy.

Reiterating that combatting crime remains the country’s number one priority, Sandy said, “We need our police officers. We need our soldiers.”

Sandy said he fully supports police officers in the war against crime because he has been out in the field with them and has never criticised them.

In an earlier faxed statement, Sandy said despite the two-day police sickout, statistics revealed there were no increase in crime during this period.

“The actions of some of the officers while regrettable, did not compromise the safety of the nation,” the statement read. “The Minister of National Security would like to take this opportunity to commend and thank the officers of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service for the hard work that they have been doing, even in the Parliament.”

There are more than 5,000 police officers who are members of the Police Social and Welfare Association who stand to benefit if the 20 percent increase is accepted by its executive.

Several officers yesterday said they are willing to accept the offer and are urging the association to do so in the interest of its members.

If the meeting with the Prime Minister takes place today, the association is expected to hold a general council meeting of members to discuss the latest development in its wage negotiations.
spacer
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2011, 05:01:13 AM »
hmm so where they found this money overnight? From cutting Suatt?  ::)  20% is closer to 5% than the 40% asked for.  If accepted it will be a win for Kamla. Police going to still negotiate and might at least settle for an offer closer to 23%... Alot of Police going to call off last minute for Chutney Monarch event tomorrow and Pan semis on Sunday if nothing better is offered.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 05:16:00 AM by Babalawo »

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2011, 08:08:35 AM »
hmm so where they found this money overnight? From cutting Suatt?  ::)  20% is closer to 5% than the 40% asked for.  If accepted it will be a win for Kamla. Police going to still negotiate and might at least settle for an offer closer to 23%... Alot of Police going to call off last minute for Chutney Monarch event tomorrow and Pan semis on Sunday if nothing better is offered.
To the contrary, I think it will be perceived as a loss.  You don't grand charge in negotiations.  Yuh can't say yuh not moving from 5% and yuh get tuh 20, that's ridiculous.  In fact, I losing respect by the day for the administration.  That's really really weak.   The PSA lining up already and rightfully so.  As soon as "stike" action taking place, over 1 week, yuh cave in already, steups.....  Absolutely a weak gov't.  All this said, if this is in fact true.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2011, 08:20:22 AM »
de police win. dey eh have any more public confidence dey could lorse anyhow, so dey get 20% increase for dey same wuk. t&t sweet too bad.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2011, 08:28:03 AM »
de police win. dey eh have any more public confidence dey could lorse anyhow, so dey get 20% increase for dey same wuk. t&t sweet too bad.
Right.... plus the PSA, Fire, Prisons, all ah them coming next... this gov't weak like hell....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2011, 09:59:58 AM »
Right.... plus the PSA, Fire, Prisons, all ah them coming next... this gov't weak like hell....

is not weak they weak....they probably just realize that they was on shit to offer 5%.
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »
To the contrary, I think it will be perceived as a loss.  You don't grand charge in negotiations.  Yuh can't say yuh not moving from 5% and yuh get tuh 20, that's ridiculous.  In fact, I losing respect by the day for the administration.  That's really really weak.   The PSA lining up already and rightfully so.  As soon as "stike" action taking place, over 1 week, yuh cave in already, steups.....  Absolutely a weak gov't.  All this said, if this is in fact true.

Is it "weak" or is it "right"?  Saying it weak is to imply that the hard stance on 5% was right all along... which it wasn't.  This is where they should have been all along, somewhere in the middle... government start low, PSA start high and you settle in the middle.  Where I agree with you is on the grand charging thing... that's not how you negotiate.  They tried to call the Police bluff and they end up having to eat crow.  Par fuh de PP course.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2011, 10:09:11 AM »

Is it "weak" or is it "right"?  Saying it weak is to imply that the hard stance on 5% was right all along... which it wasn't.  This is where they should have been all along, somewhere in the middle... government start low, PSA start high and you settle in the middle.  Where I agree with you is on the grand charging thing... that's not how you negotiate.  They tried to call the Police bluff and they end up having to eat crow.  Par fuh de PP course.
It is weak, I'll never say it's right.  20%?  Who gets that kinda increase especially in these economic times?
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »
It is weak, I'll never say it's right.  20%?  Who gets that kinda increase especially in these economic times?

Well, you're entitled to your opinion... but a more objective assessment would take into consideration the fact that they've been operating on a wage freeze for the past 4 yrs.  Had the government not played hardball from the start they wouldn't be in this situation... now they come to dey senses too late.  Is like a broken record with these jokers... make noise and thrash around the bush acting bad, only to boil down like bhagi in the end.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 10:35:41 AM by Bakes »

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2011, 10:51:22 AM »

but a more objective assessment would take into consideration the fact that they've been operating on a wage freeze for the past 4 yrs. 
Point well taken....Still think it's a very excessive though.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2011, 10:58:17 AM »
Point well taken....Still think it's a very excessive though.

Maybe... but that works out to an increase of 5% per year.  I'm no economist... but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a similar increase in inflation and cost of living over that same period.  If that were the case then it wouldn't be that excessive.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
i think there will be an improvement in service. instead of taking 5 hours to respond to a call, it go be down to 4.

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2011, 08:13:42 AM »
No 20% pay hike for cops
Published: Sat, 2011-02-19 19:58
Richard Lord

Works and Transport Minister Jack Minister has dismissed reports that Cabinet had agreed to a 20 per cent pay hike for police officers. The report was carried in another newspaper yesterday. Warner denied the report when questioned about it after yesterday’s sod-turning ceremony to start  construction of an elevated Uriah Butler Highway at the intersection of the Churchill-Roosevelt Highway yesterday. He said the highway project would take a maximum of 24 months to complete.  Warner said about 750 people would be employed at the peak of construction.

He said no decision to approve a 20 per cent hike in salaries for police officers had been taken in the People’s Partnership Cabinet. “The cabinet of which I am a member, we never agreed to that,” Warner insisted. In his address at the ceremony, Warner said that the protest action by police, public servants and others had escalated since the PP Government assumed office, because “the prime minister is a woman, particularly an Indian woman...Everybody want everything same time.”

And he said the breathalyser had not had the desired objectives since being implemented in this country. “Breathalyser tests are done vie-ki-vie, so it hasn’t reduced the drunk driving on the roads, it has not reduced the carnage,” Warner said. He said new measures would have to be implemented to enforce the laws and as a consequence, 85 traffic wardens would be put on the nation’s roads to help curb traffic offences.

Warner also warned motorists against using their mobile phones while driving without hands-free devices. A law, which is now in effect, imposes a fine of $1,500 or three months’ imprisonment for anyone found guilty of breaching it. Warner said mobilisation for the start of construction of the $7.2 billion San Fernando/Point Fortin Highway would begin on Thursday.

If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »
Warner said that the protest action by police, public servants and others had escalated since the PP Government assumed office, because “the prime minister is a woman, particularly an Indian woman...Everybody want everything same time.”

WTF??

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »
Warner said that the protest action by police, public servants and others had escalated since the PP Government assumed office, because “the prime minister is a woman, particularly an Indian woman...Everybody want everything same time.”

WTF??

My thoughts exactly. What?
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2011, 07:05:10 AM »
All yuh does still be shocked by what comes out of this A-hole's mouth??!!  Ah wonder if that is a view held by government collectively??  Steups!!....dis jack-arse is a real embarrassment to T&T.....

As for turning the sod to start the project, ah wonder if they have funding for it yet or they still have to source it??.....again, real jack-arseness!!!!   But what the hey, he gets shit done.   ::) ::)
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>