April 29, 2024, 05:28:17 AM

Author Topic: Local artistes deny paying for airplay  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Local artistes deny paying for airplay
« on: January 30, 2011, 01:42:03 PM »
Local artistes deny paying for airplay
Published: Sun, 2011-01-30 21:17
Malissa Lara-Patterson

http://www.guardian.co.tt/entertainment/2011/01/30/payola

Music is a costly, billion-dollar business. From the fine-tuning of a musical idea, booking studio time and mastering a song, artistes can spend between $4,000 to $20,000 to produce one song. Our soca artistes can certainly testify to this reality. From the aforementioned figures an album comprising 12 songs would cost a hefty sum. Then there’s the necessary promotional aspect, which can also be expensive. But sometimes making such a sizeable investment does not guarantee airplay of your product.

So, will you pay to have your music played? This touchy question as well as wondering if a radio station or disc jockeys (DJs) have been asking for a payola (a bribe) to bolster airplay has been circulating for years. When the Telecommunications Authority of T&T was contacted, the Sunday Guardian was told “the practice you described is called payola and at present there is no known law or regulation in relation to the issue.” The Sunday Guardian explored this alleged business of paying to be played—rumour or reality?

A budget for promotion

It is not illegal for artistes to pay DJs to play their music.Iwer George, artiste and founder of 91.9FM, said this, explaining: “When an artiste signs a record deal the first money that comes out of that contract is money to promote an album and promoting an album means getting your song played on electronic media worldwide. It’s time we educate our artistes to do things the way things are done.” He said one must have a budget for promotion. “One of the problems we have with soca is a man will find money to record his album, he will find money to master his album, he will find money to press the CD and then he will drop the CD by the radio station and then he will go home and listen to see if they will play his song and that is the wrong approach,” George said.

He said an album was a product. “At the end of it all you made an investment and it’s your responsibility to promote your album by any means necessary.  Anything in life there’s a price. You have to know what price you are prepared to pay,” he said. George said, however, that a DJ could be fired for asking an artiste for money to play a song. A $1,500 thank you? Some artistes do pay DJs/announcers money, whether or not they are asked. Chris Boynes, Vibe CT 105 programme administrator, said he’s had that experience and returned the money.

He said it was against company policy to request money for any song to be played.

However, years ago while on the Brian Lara Promenade, a young unknown artiste asked for his song to be given some airplay.

After helping out the artiste, Boynes was offered $60 for his assistance.

“He was told he had to pay the DJs to play the music. I gave him back his money,” Boynes explained.

On another occasion an artiste left his album and an envelope containing $1,500, saying it was a “thank you.”

Regardless of how the money was received, Boynes said, “It is against the company’s policy to encourage that behaviour; however, we cannot vouch wholly and solely for the individuals.”

Boynes said one of the reasons a song might not get airplay was because of poor quality.  He said some announcers might give the artiste a “bligh” and play the song once but, “your song must build on its own merit.” He could not confirm or deny whether or not radio stations or announcers requested money to play a song. He said, “I don’t have proof of it. I cannot say yes, it does exist but I won’t doubt it does exist. I feel I can put my head on the block that it does exist.

Fair airplay

Vijay Mahabir, programme director of 106.1FM, distanced himself from the payola issue. He said 106.1FM had taken the approach to support local culture for the Carnival season, especially chutney soca. “Our directives are to ensure that all artistes get fair and equal airplay,” he explained. He said since last November, 106.1FM had opened its airwaves to an influx of launches (people coming into station to launch their music).  They have launched more than 167 new songs thus far. He said in the chutney industry it was very difficult at this time to play one song more than another, mainly because of the technologies used in today’s market.

“On a daily basis, all DJs, announcers are evaluated and at any point in time we can go back to a programme and pull it up,” he said. Mahabir said that dispels any favouritism on the part of the network. He said there were always going to be rumours and accusations. “Every single artiste who sings a song thinks he has the Road March so he might get upset not hearing the song play, but maybe his standard may not be up to the standard of today’s people.  Therefore, we give everybody a chance.”

He said the listeners would then make choices. Mahabir said the key to surviving in this industry was having a good personality.  “Personality is a very big thing,” he said.

Artiste: I never paid anybody

Various artistes quickly separated themselves from the payola issue, saying they’ve never paid to receive airplay. Rodney “Benjai” Le Blanc, said, “I don’t know anything about that. I am an honest person. I do my thing legit. All the DJs we deal with, I never had that problem. I can’t even comment on that. “I never witness that in my life.  It’s a fair game. Is T&T, Trinis are very outspoken.  You have to produce hits.  You have to keep working hard.” Dexter “Blaxx” Stewart of Roy Cape almost mirrored Le Blanc’s sentiments. He said artistes had to produce a certain quality. He said sometimes a singer’s tune might be noisy and the production quality was poor.

“Honestly I have never paid anybody,” he said. Former soca chutney monarch, Kenneth Salick, said he didn’t know anything about the issue. “People does say all kind of thing but that’s not true, man.  It all depends on the people.  If people like the song they request the song. I did two songs this year but one hardly playing because people get the wrong idea about it.” Destra Garcia had mixed feelings on the issue but said she felt there was no truth to the payola. “In the past, I’ve wondered about it especially when I might think a song is great and it not really pumpin’  on the air but then again in that same said year, another song that I release would be liked by everybody,” she said.

She also believed it was a matter of material. “You have to be objective about your work. You would not put a song out there if you don’t believe in it,” she said. She said she never had to pay a DJ to play her song, “ever, as God is my witness.” “The thing about it is I understand that if your song good it will play.  DJs need to feel it. They need to feel your energy in your music.” She dispelled any thoughts that she paid a DJ to receive good airplay.  She said the DJs were glad she was back. “With that paying thing, I can't comment on that to say it’s true, because I never had to do it. “For me that’s like a story, a myth,” she said.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Local artistes deny paying for airplay
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
I hear Shal Marshall of 96.1 does want to charge man all kinda 5 grand to play dey song and ting.

I HEAR eh. My brethrin was trying to push he track and was talking bout it.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »
If it happanes then maybe its the established artists who don't have to pay as they big ah ready and DJ want to play their tunes first!!  ;)

I just speculating eh? There must be something to the rumours!!  :thinking:
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »
i steups whole time i reading this article

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »
Well....lets see.....if everybody (and most of whom were interviewed were established artists) say they never paid...then...where did the motivation to do this story come from?

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 06:34:43 PM »
Well....lets see.....if everybody (and most of whom were interviewed were established artists) say they never paid...then...where did the motivation to do this story come from?

;)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 07:38:59 PM »
I real disappointed to know this type ah thing legal in Trinidad... in almost every other developed country 'payola' is illegal.  Disappointed too to see Iwer touting this as being "the way things are done" as though it's consistent with smart business practices by artists.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 04:46:24 PM »
knowing how things does go on in Trini, I would not doubt that still happens.

Offline Conquering Lion

• Tell me how can a man who doh know his roots form his own ideology?
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »
I real disappointed to know this type ah thing legal in Trinidad... in almost every other developed country 'payola' is illegal.  Disappointed too to see Iwer touting this as being "the way things are done" as though it's consistent with smart business practices by artists.

True talk that....I guess man need to have dey own radio station. I remember an New Year's day 12.01 a..m., fuss chune buss on 96.1 was Chinese Laundry "Short Paaaants!"

Well I start to cuss..........
We fire de old set ah managers we had wukkin..and iz ah new group we went and we bring in. And if the goods we require de new managers not supplying, when election time come back round iz new ones we bringin. For iz one ting about my people I can guarantee..They will never ever vote party b4 country

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 08:52:50 PM »
I was going to make ah post about 96.1 and Machel...then ah see this thread and it kinda fitting...I does stream local stations on my computer, but since I got an Ipad the only station that I could stream on it is 96.1. I have been listening to it for the most part of the last 2-3wks and it's seems like they only play about 15 tunes...and half ah them is only Machel tunes. Another thing ah notice, since ah listening ah NEVER, not even ONCE ever heard IWER tune on 96.1...is there beef with IWER and Laundry...Does Machel have shares at WEFM? Anybody else notice this?

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
I was going to make ah post about 96.1 and Machel...then ah see this thread and it kinda fitting...I does stream local stations on my computer, but since I got an Ipad the only station that I could stream on it is 96.1. I have been listening to it for the most part of the last 2-3wks and it's seems like they only play about 15 tunes...and half ah them is only Machel tunes. Another thing ah notice, since ah listening ah NEVER, not even ONCE ever heard IWER tune on 96.1...is there beef with IWER and Laundry...Does Machel have shares at WEFM? Anybody else notice this?

Big Up!

De moment Iwer started a station there was beef.  Iwer will never be heard on 96.1 unless somebody go rogue and say F#$% Laundry an ready to loose dey wuk.  Believe dat.  As fuh de topic, dat is normel scenes home.  My lil cuz who jus buss ah tune tellin me de odday day he eh sure if to gih dem man de 250US dey callin to play he tune.  Dem established artist doh ha to pay buh bess believe de unknowns who does ha some bess tunes eidda ha to pay or suck rell salt!!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
um ??? ,  I understand the need for airplay but social networkin an' youtube are powerful marketing tools, you can get your stuff out there............in fact all these people who not getting air play could come together have ah single youtube channel or facebook group build dey profiles and get d word out dat way. encourage people to request it on radio if dey like it..............and force d hands of the the radio stations...............d problem is dat while we like to tink of we trinis as innovative, we really aren't.....we follow, mimic,  shadow or jus plain steal ideas that have gone before..............we refuse or are completely unable to think outside the box, ah mean jus look at sorrel boys, d santana fellas and buwadmodda.............dese fellas indirectly or directly market dey self to ah growing market wit a wide audience....................y continue to lick dem greedy DJ bamsee especially since dem jumpin in d soca ting too......dem doh want more competition.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 11:30:30 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 12:19:49 PM »
um ??? ,  I understand the need for airplay but social networkin an' youtube are powerful marketing tools, you can get your stuff out there............in fact all these people who not getting air play could come together have ah single youtube channel or facebook group build dey profiles and get d word out dat way. encourage people to request it on radio if dey like it..............and force d hands of the the radio stations...............d problem is dat while we like to tink of we trinis as innovative, we really aren't.....we follow, mimic,  shadow or jus plain steal ideas that have gone before..............we refuse or are completely unable to think outside the box, ah mean jus look at sorrel boys, d santana fellas and buwadmodda.............dese fellas indirectly or directly market dey self to ah growing market wit a wide audience....................y continue to lick dem greedy DJ bamsee especially since dem jumpin in d soca ting too......dem doh want more competition.

good points  :beermug:

all the big artists know this exists, its no new thing, its been going on for donkey years.

trini artists need to learn how to market and promoter their music in the digital world but at the same time they must know the game

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 12:22:44 PM »

Have yo ever been an entertainer?  While on paper that sounds good, it doesn't help when in the height of the season you cant get noticed, airplay and gigs.  You think the partying public at large sittin in front their computer looking for the lesser known artist music?  And other than Rogers nobody wasn marketing deyself on youtube so doh talk nonsense.  Dey put up dem videos fuh kix and they took off.  Youtube is largely hit or miss (more miss) so doh make dat seem like some sure fire formula.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »
Have yo ever been an entertainer?  While on paper that sounds good, it doesn't help when in the height of the season you cant get noticed, airplay and gigs.  You think the partying public at large sittin in front their computer looking for the lesser known artist music?  And other than Rogers nobody wasn marketing deyself on youtube so doh talk nonsense.  Dey put up dem videos fuh kix and they took off.  Youtube is largely hit or miss (more miss) so doh make dat seem like some sure fire formula.

yuh missin d point, when did I say it was was sure fire, the goal is too get yuh music out and, no yuh cyar wait till a week, 2 weeks before d season start to push yuhself out there, yuh have ah song, yuh relatively unknown d radio stations eh givin yuh a bly and what put yuh cd back in d draw and sulk............no dread, play mad an sing on road while people passin, someting, but be aggressive about it................all I tryin to say is try someting ah lil bit outside d norm.........even if it mean takin a lil embarrassment if yuh confident dat yuh material good

yuh have to remember dat d music business is ah tough scene dat have men jealously guardin turf, strait boldfaced collusion between artist an' radio stations going on, therefore the normally accepted path have all kinda road block.............why not take ah risk an' do someting  ah bit different might succeed yuh might fail but at least yuh not jus siddong hoping for dat call or dat moment yuh here yuh song play but yuh doin a ting to "maybe" help dat along

long story short assert yuh self lil bit and maybe jus maybe yuh goh get wah yuh lookin for

it had ah show used to call dat "street fighter marketin"
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:52:36 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 01:11:02 PM »

yuh missin d point, when did I say it was was sure fire, the goal is too get yuh music out and, no yuh cyar wait till a week, 2 weeks before d season start to push yuhself out there, yuh have ah song, yuh relatively unknown d radio stations eh givin yuh a bly and what put yuh cd back in d draw and sulk............no dread, play mad an sing on road while people passin, someting, but be aggressive about it................all I tryin to say is try someting ah lil bit outside d norm.........even if it mean takin a lil embarrassment if yuh confident dat yuh material good

yuh have to remember dat d music business is ah tough scene dat have men jealously guardin turf, strait boldfaced collusion between artist an' radio stations going on, therefore the normally accepted path have all kinda road block.............why not take ah risk an' do someting  ah bit different might succeed yuh might fail but at least yuh not jus siddong hoping for dat call or dat moment yuh here yuh song play but yuh doin a ting to "maybe" help dat along

long story short assert yuh self lil bit and maybe jus maybe yuh goh get wah yuh lookin for

Who told you they aren't attempting to use these other forms of promotion to their advantage?  You think it's a coincidence that established artists from other islands are also in TnT jockying for opportunities during carnival season?  Like it or not airplay plays the biggest role in whose song becomes a hit.  The problem is that the music industry is far too political and that isn't just in soca either.  Until other forms of media have the same or similar direct impact artists will still have to continue to try and get airplay.  I agree they have to try other means too but I know many who personally try anything and everything and its to little or no avail.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 05:25:45 PM »

Who told you they aren't attempting to use these other forms of promotion to their advantage?  You think it's a coincidence that established artists from other islands are also in TnT jockying for opportunities during carnival season?  Like it or not airplay plays the biggest role in whose song becomes a hit.  The problem is that the music industry is far too political and that isn't just in soca either.  Until other forms of media have the same or similar direct impact artists will still have to continue to try and get airplay.  I agree they have to try other means too but I know many who personally try anything and everything and its to little or no avail.

I hear yuh brodder, but again I real feel dat d unknowns would have ah greater impact if they compiled alot of there music to ah relatively singular body of work an' and let be known to as many communities as they can...........ah man might be frighten to get left in d crowd eh, it jus seem to me dat it might have more impact if they work together.....for instance it have ah comic art sight I normally visit dat feature the galleries of potentially competing artists, but it works out in d end because the works are in one place rather than an an obscurely name lil website some where dat may not show up in ah search..........there is strength in number d question is can they resist d crab in ah barrel mentality to give it enough time to maybe work.

but daiz my thinkin on one possible solution to d immediate problem of exposure
I pity the fool....

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 10:14:38 PM »

I hear yuh brodder, but again I real feel dat d unknowns would have ah greater impact if they compiled alot of there music to ah relatively singular body of work an' and let be known to as many communities as they can...........ah man might be frighten to get left in d crowd eh, it jus seem to me dat it might have more impact if they work together.....for instance it have ah comic art sight I normally visit dat feature the galleries of potentially competing artists, but it works out in d end because the works are in one place rather than an an obscurely name lil website some where dat may not show up in ah search..........there is strength in number d question is can they resist d crab in ah barrel mentality to give it enough time to maybe work.

but daiz my thinkin on one possible solution to d immediate problem of exposure

It makes sense but we artists will have to overcome the crab in barrel mentality.

1]; } ?>