April 25, 2024, 02:05:31 PM

Author Topic: Gattuso's antics  (Read 19290 times)

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gattuso's antics
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 07:17:07 AM »
Source:Skysports

Don't mess with Joe!!

AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso has expressed his regret for his attack on Tottenham first-team coach Joe Jordan after the UEFA Champions League clash at the San Siro.

Part of that may be his realisation that in Jordan, he picked the wrong target. Here we look at five reasons why the midfielder may have picked on the wrong guy!

JAWS

Early in his career at Leeds, the Scot lost four front teeth playing in a reserve match. The result was a frightening smile that quickly helped him earn the nickname 'Jaws', a moniker that fitted his fearsome playing style.

Looking back on his career recently, Jordan said of the name: "I didn't see myself as a caricature in any way. I was what I was, but I look back and I had seven years at Leeds, who were one of the top teams in Europe, then I got a transfer to Manchester United, then a transfer to AC Milan. These are top clubs, and I had opportunities to go to Liverpool, Arsenal, Ajax.

"I'm not saying that to brag; if those teams thought I had something to offer, it was more than having no teeth. I was just unfortunate not to have any teeth."

CLASH

Jordan did not stand for nonsense on the pitch, highlighted by an incident in a Manchester United FA cup third round replay at Old Trafford against Tottenham in 1980, when he wiped out goalkeeper Milja Aleksic, who had been charging at him on corners. Aleksic, who played only a small number of games for Spurs, suffered a dislocated jaw in the incident.

THE SHARK

If Jordan's reputation at home had escaped Gattuso, he should have known more of the history of the club he captains. "He obviously hadn't done his homework," Harry Redknapp said. Had he done so, Gattuso would have known that Jordan, who joined Milan in 1981, was known in Italy as "The Shark", a local twist on the Jaws theme.

HARD MAN

In 2007, The Times named Jordan as the 34th hardest man in the history of the game. For the record, Milan's attack dog Gattuso, who has the nickname Ringhio ("growl'), did not register in the top 50, suggesting his bark is louder than his bite - even when he was in his prime.

STILL A HARD MAN

Jordan is not living off fading memories either. Since joining Tottenham in 2008, he has been involved in numerous touchline dust-ups.

In his first two weeks at the club he clashed with then Fulham manager Roy Hodgson and former Blackburn boss Paul Ince. Earlier this season, he challenged Newcastle goalkeeping coach Andy Woodman following Younes Kaboul's dismissal, screaming "Any time you like, any f****** time you like".

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 07:40:13 AM »
Joe Jordan was a real warrior in his day, blood and guts. To scuffle with a fellow player is one thing imo but to put your hands on/head butt an assistant manager who could be your own father’s age, shows how much of a man you are. And he’s wearing the captain’s arm band too. What a joke. At least he’s missing the next game through suspension.

The ONLY reason JJ didn't mash up gatusso is because of the adverse effect it woulda had on the team.....as a matter of fact....he WAS tryin' to have a go at him after gatusso peck him wit he forehead.....if JJ did butt gatusso back like how he used to dominate men goin' up fuh headers, gatusso woulda get 2 cuncussion! 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 08:34:03 AM »
Rino Gattuso, yuh hadda love him.
Crazy fokker

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
Well look I didn't know Jordan was a bad man in his day....Is now I sure Jordan throw real talk fuh Gattuso and look fuh he ting, and under all the cryin' Jordan was relishing every moment of it...choke, headbutt and all.  We singling out Gattuso, but all them men is thugs- in the heat of the moment they live for this sh*t. 

Not condoning Gattuso, but I doh feel he just ride for the man jusso jusso as is being implied....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:22:35 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »

both times without Jordan threatening in a physical manner he put he hands (or head) on the man.

How you know that hoss?

while Zidane was nothing but class. 

Really?

Same Zidane who was red carded in WC '98 for intentionally stamping on a man balls? 

2 out of 3 World Cups Zidane received red cards for intentional attacks on the opposition- real classy I would say...

Allyuh stay dey and get tie up

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 09:22:37 AM »
Well look I didn't know Jordan was a bad man in his day....Is now I sure Jordan throw real talk fuh Gattuso and look fuh he ting, and under all the cryin' Jordan was relishing every moment of it...choke, headbutt and all.  We singling out Gattuso, but all them men is thugs- in the heat of the moment they live for this sh*t. 

Jordan was no JOKE back in the day, boss....he wasn't exactly a Vinnie Jones, but I would say a cleaner and much stronger version of vidic.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 09:26:15 AM »

both times without Jordan threatening in a physical manner he put he hands (or head) on the man.

How you know that hoss?

Because I have eyes and could see.  If you have evidence of Jordan threatening Gattuso in a physical manner feel free to point to it.  In both confrontations his hands were firmly at his side.

while Zidane was nothing but class. 

Really?

Same Zidane who was red carded in WC '98 for intentionally stamping on a man balls? 

2 out of 3 World Cups Zidane received red cards for intentional attacks on the opposition- real classy I would say...

Allyuh stay dey and get tie up

Yeah and Becks get red-carded against Argentina in that same Cup... that doesn't mean he wasn't the epitome of class on the field.  If all you have to point to is one or two incidents in an 18-year career then you know you really reaching.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »
Is a ole arse man alyuh gettin on so bout...all dem back in the day comments. He looking to draw for pension just now.

Alyuh feel is "Taken" and ole man star boy still around.

Taking Lash is a different ting...and age plays a big factor.

Gatusso woulda deal with he dread dread.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:30:08 AM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 09:36:47 AM »

Because I have eyes and could see.  If you have evidence of Jordan threatening Gattuso in a physical manner feel free to point to it.  In both confrontations his hands were firmly at his side.

Why are you asking me for evidence- My point is that I don't have full evidence...and I'm saying neither do you....so IMO yuh jumping to conclusions...and just because he didn't threaten him "in a physical manner" doesn't mean that he didn't do anything to provoke Gattuso which was my point from the beginning...I don't know why you're so hell bent on defending Jordan and villifying Gattuso.   

Yeah and Becks get red-carded against Argentina in that same Cup... that doesn't mean he wasn't the epitome of class on the field.  If all you have to point to is one or two incidents in an 18-year career then you know you really reaching.

Not reaching anywhere...I's a Real Madrid fan who watched Zidane play regularly for years- the man was no good boy on the field.... Not even close.  You don't know what you're talking about.  Simple.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:39:39 AM by kicker »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »

Jordan was no JOKE back in the day, boss....he wasn't exactly a Vinnie Jones, but I would say a cleaner and much stronger version of vidic.

You know Jordan was a target man (striker)  ;D Vidic comparison?

Jordan probably said something in Gatusso with the intent of getting him off his game and it worked. However, that in no way excuses Gattuso
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 09:55:38 AM »

Let meh tell yuh dat yuh very wrong on this... Zidane was a violent fella when he ready and has received several red cards in his career.... dey say de red mist used to descend on him quick... this is common knowledge
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 10:06:27 AM »

Jordan probably said something in Gatusso with the intent of getting him off his game and it worked. However, that in no way excuses Gattuso

what u talking bout willis?

That tackle from Flamini and the AC milan players antics after would've spurred Jordan's comments.
AC milan start to play wild to get Spurs off their game
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »

Yeah, Observer, I know....but I was really comparing the toughness and man-to-man dominance.......couldn't think of any other current player.  I is no vidic fan, but he is a tough character, ah give 'im dat.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 10:08:12 AM »
yuh know i watching Flamini warming up and say to myself (as i always do with him), "you is ah kinda c*&t yes, yuh sure to make some backsidehole tackle today", but ah guess he brings ah lot of other things to the table??
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Recent development; apparently Gattuso's agent is saying that Jordan provoked Gattuso with inflammatory insults. Still doesn't justify what he did though. If what his agent is alleging is true, couldn't Gattuso have complained to the referee or the 4th official? Anything would have been better than the unsavoury confrontation.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/881262/gennaro-gattuso-agent-claims-joe-jordan-abuse-provoked-him?cc=5901

Jordan insults provoked Gattuso - agentFebruary 16, 2011

The agent of under-fire AC Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso has accused Tottenham assistant Joe Jordan of provoking the clash between the pair by calling his client a "f*****g Italian b*****d".

Gattuso grabbed Jordan by the throat during Milan's 1-0 Champions League defeat to Spurs on Tuesday, and the pair became entangled again after the final whistle, with the Italy international planting a headbutt on the 49-year-old Scot.

UEFA has confirmed that it would be investigating the incident and Gattuso could be handed a lengthy suspension, though he apologised for the clash on Tuesday night.

"I lost my head, I did things I should not have done and I take responsibility for that," Gattuso said. "Jordan busted my balls for the whole second half, but I should not have reacted like this. I apologise, and if a ban arrives I will accept it."

However, Gattuso's agent Claudio Pasqualin believes his client had good reason to attack Jordan, as he was heavily provoked by insults from the Spurs assistant.

"What seems evident to me is that my client was strongly provoked by Joe Jordan," Pasqualin told Italian station Radio Kiss Kiss. "Jordan, after having continuously heckled him, insulted him with truly low phrase, saying 'f*****g Italian b*****d'.

"For one like Rino, who has a strong sense of his Italian identity, I think this is the most disgusting and unjustifiable of insults."

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2011, 10:19:14 AM »
Why are you asking me for evidence- My point is that I don't have full evidence...and I'm saying neither do you....so IMO yuh jumping to conclusions...and just because he didn't threaten him "in a physical manner" doesn't mean that he didn't do anything to provoke Gattuso which was my point from the beginning...I don't know why you're so hell bent on defending Jordan and villifying Gattuso.

Fella what shit yuh talking??

You's de same man who watch that game yesterday and bawl that Gattuso behavior was "questionable"... is a wonder yuh ent strain yuh back from carrying brief fuh him throughout this entire discussion.  I said Jordan didn't threaten him in a physical manner and you turn 'rung and bawl how I know that.  Because he never did... it is clear from watching the game and the replays.  Gattuso said later on that they were going at each other in "Scottish" when he lost his cool.  In the first place Corluka had already been stretchered off when Pienaar fouled Silva.  Gattuso run over and start carrying on and that is what set off the confrontation between the two.  Whatever was said to him clearly provoked an unnecessary response, compounded by his later actions at the end of the game.  I don't have to be "hell bent on villifying" ah man who was so clearly wrong in both his on the field and off the field behavior.  

Not reaching anywhere...I's a Real Madrid fan who watched Zidane play regularly for years- the man was no good boy on the field.... Not even close.  You don't know what you're talking about.  Simple.

Let meh tell yuh dat yuh very wrong on this... Zidane was a violent fella when he ready and has received several red cards in his career.... dey say de red mist used to descend on him quick... this is common knowledge

Nobody say de man was ah blasted saint... I said he was nothing but class.  If ah man retaliate in ah game or make a bad tackle that doesn't negate the fact that he's still a classy player.  Yuh think Giggs never kick out at a man or make a bad tackle??  In the context of the discussion regarding Materazzi the point was of the two of them everybody would give Zidane the benefit of the doubt.  Now allyuh arguing about who was choir boy and who never get red card.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »
Nobody say de man was ah blasted saint... I said he was nothing but class.  If ah man retaliate in ah game or make a bad tackle that doesn't negate the fact that he's still a classy player.  Yuh think Giggs never kick out at a man or make a bad tackle??  In the context of the discussion regarding Materazzi the point was of the two of them everybody would give Zidane the benefit of the doubt.  Now allyuh arguing about who was choir boy and who never get red card.

You real like to argue boy laard...

I was objecting to the fact that you said that kicker is stretching when he can only point to one or two incidents in zidane career.... whereas Zidanes many incidents of violent acts on the field is common knowledge... well at least to Zidane fans...

also in light of this... I think you are the one stretching to say that Zidane was "nothing but class" on the field.

If we talking bout style of play and technique etc.. yes! but not when the whole discussion is conduct on the field.

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2011, 10:40:38 AM »
As a professional and veteran, Gatusso should have heard everything that anyone can say to him.  Words do not allow PROFESSIONALS the right to put their hands on someone else.
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »
You real like to argue boy laard...

Says the man who jump in a conversation to nitpick about whether Zidane was always classy or only sometimes classy... and who one time posted just to correct me for saying "offsides" instead of "offside" and "Celtics" instead of "Celtic".  That's rich.

I was objecting to the fact that you said that kicker is stretching when he can only point to one or two incidents in zidane career.... whereas Zidanes many incidents of violent acts on the field is common knowledge... well at least to Zidane fans...

also in light of this... I think you are the one stretching to say that Zidane was "nothing but class" on the field.

If we talking bout style of play and technique etc.. yes! but not when the whole discussion is conduct on the field.

Arrite... since yuh was so moved as to come in just to object I'll make it more palatable fuh you and Kicker... between Materazzi and Zidane most people would give Zidane the benefit of the doubt for being the classier player.  Feel free to find objection to that and run with it.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2011, 10:46:15 AM »
yuh know i watching Flamini warming up and say to myself (as i always do with him), "you is ah kinda c*&t yes, yuh sure to make some backsidehole tackle today"....??

Yuh could take de man outta arsenal, but yuh cyah take de arsenal out de man.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2011, 10:51:34 AM »

Says the man who jump in a conversation to nitpick about whether Zidane was always classy or only sometimes classy... and who one time posted just to correct me for saying "offsides" instead of "offside" and "Celtics" instead of "Celtic".  That's rich.

I making no excuses for that... i real hate dat sh!t.. meh pet peeves

and ah think between you and me, when it come to arguing... most people would give me the benefit of the doubt...  :devil:
so.. eh eh.. hold dat  ;D

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2011, 10:52:42 AM »

Fella what shit yuh talking??

You's de same man who watch that game yesterday and bawl that Gattuso behavior was "questionable"... is a wonder yuh ent strain yuh back from carrying brief fuh him throughout this entire discussion.  I said Jordan didn't threaten him in a physical manner and you turn 'rung and bawl how I know that.  Because he never did... it is clear from watching the game and the replays.  Gattuso said later on that they were going at each other in "Scottish" when he lost his cool.  In the first place Corluka had already been stretchered off when Pienaar fouled Silva.  Gattuso run over and start carrying on and that is what set off the confrontation between the two.  Whatever was said to him clearly provoked an unnecessary response, compounded by his later actions at the end of the game.  I don't have to be "hell bent on villifying" ah man who was so clearly wrong in both his on the field and off the field behavior.  

My initial point was that Gattuso must have been provoked, and Jordan in a casual way of speaking probably "look fuh ting" by provoking him....  I said that in response to the general sentiment of the thread which seemed to be jumping on his back.  In general I agree his behavior was out of line.  I used the word questionable.  

I used the Zidane incident  in WC 2006 as an example of what in my opinion is an inconsistency in how we assess incidents about which we lack complete information...

You jump on my post telling me I talking sh*t, how Zidane is pure class (which in this context is absolutely incorrect)...then bringing in all kinda irrelevance about whether Gattuso was physically threatened, and Beckham, and who is choir boy...yadda yadda yadda....

It turns out that Gattuso was provoked...which was my original point...full stop.  

I eh go lie yuh very difficult to exchange a few posts with sometimes jed....

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2011, 11:00:26 AM »

In 2007, The Times named Jordan as the 34th hardest man in the history of the game. For the record, Milan's attack dog Gattuso, who has the nickname Ringhio ("growl'), did not register in the top 50, suggesting his bark is louder than his bite - even when he was in his prime.

Football's 50 greatest hard men
Football isn’t always the Beautiful Game. Sometimes it can get ugly. Really, really, ugly. And nobody has done more to bring the threat of menace or the whiff of danger to our sport than the following merchants of mayhem

50 Pierluigi Collina (Referee)

Not strictly speaking (or even vaguely speaking) a player. But the scary Nosferatu-ringer easily merits a place in the top 50 toughest football folk, for his forbidding, bug-eyed glare alone.

49 Chic Charnley (Partick Thistle and many more)

Trouble was Chic’s middle name (actually it turns out to be Callaghan, but you know what we mean). Holds the sendings off record for British senior football. During a training session in a Glasgow park he was attacked by two men with samurai swords. The pair ran away.

48 Joe Louis (Liverpool)

The heavyweight champion of the world signed for The Reds while he was stationed near Liverpool during the war. True, he never played a League game – but how much harder can you get than one of the greatest boxers of all time?

47 Miguel Angel Nadal (Barcelona and Spain)

His nickname says it all – would you want to take on The Beast?

46 Roy McDonough (Birmingham City and many more)

English lower league legend who racked up a national-record 21 red cards in a trouble-strewn career.

45 Marco Materazzi (Everton, Inter and Italy)

The man they call The Matrix due to his unpredictable personality dispenses pain like other Italians dish out linguine con vongole.

44 Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Ajax, Juventus, Inter and Sweden)

Sharpest elbows in continental Europe, and isn’t fussy where he sticks them.

43 Fernando Hierro (Real Madrid and Spain)

Immovable as a rock in the chaos of the galactico years at the Bernabeu.

42 Duncan Edwards (Manchester United and England)

A giant of a man when he died from grievous injuries sustained at Munich, aged just 21.

41 Bobo Balde (Celtic)

The Frenchman might have a first name like a Teletubby, but he’s harder to push around than the Eiffel Tower.

40 Billy Whitehurst (Sheffield United, Hull City and Newcastle United)

Cult centre-forward viewed by Alan Hansen among others as the roughest player they’ve come across.

39 Paolo Montero (Juventus and Uruguay)

The Montero clothes-line was the most feared defensive weapon in the game. Try running anywhere with a stiff Uruguayan forearm jammed in your Adam’s apple.

38 Duncan Ferguson (Dundee United, Rangers, Everton, Newcastle United and Scotland)

Pigeon-fancier who did bird for crimes related to football and chip shops, and emerged from Barlinnie without a scratch.

37 Nobby Stiles (Manchester United and England)

The world’s toughest-ever person named Norbert.

36 Daniel Passarella (Argentina)

Looked every inch the Latin American desperado from central casting, and tackled with the ferocity of the wild bull of the Pampas.

35 Frank Barson (Aston Villa, Manchester United and Watford)

Famed for brutality even in the 1920s when footballers were less squeamish about physical play than they are today. On frequent occasions Barson was escorted out of grounds by policemen to protect him from mobs of angry opposition fans. Once banned for seven months for a hideous challenge in a match against Fulham.

34 Joe Jordan (Leeds, Manchester United, AC Milan and Scotland)

There have been few more fearsome sights in the European game than 'Jaws' Jordan without his front teeth.

33 Patrick Vieira (Arsenal, Inter and France)

Wasn’t from the psychopath school of hardmen, but was always ready to ensure Arsenal’s talented kids never had their lunch money stolen by Premiership bully boys. And ten Premiership red cards was a fair effort.

32 Jose Emilio Santamaria (Real Madrid, Uruguay and Spain)

While the likes of Puskas, Gento and Di Stefano were weaving their spells up the field for Real in the 1950s and 1960s, the hulking Uruguayan was booting opponents over the stand to make like easier for them.

31 Kenny Burns (Nottingham Forest and Scotland)

Every city he played in needed a Burns Unit at the nearest hospital.

30 Romeo Benetti (Italy)

Spiteful midfielder who epitomised the ultra-defensive, don’t-lose-at all-costs attitude of Italy in the early 1970s.

29 Bert Trautmann (Manchester City)

The former German paratrooper played on with a broken neck in Manchester City’s 3-1 win over Birmingham City in the 1956 FA Cup Final. If the Wehrmacht had had a few more like him we might have been looking forward to the start of the new Barclays Bundesliga this week.

28 Jack Charlton (Leeds United and England)

Denied ever having a little black book of prospective victims. But he was always the evil twin to Saint Bobby.

27 Ferenc Puskas (Real Madrid and Hungary)

Better known as one of the greatest footballers ever, Puskas was also a bit tasty. The ex-Hungarian army major was mentioned in dispatches after the notorious Battle of Berne when the Magyars beat Brazil 4-1 in the 1954 World Cup semi-final. It all went off in the dressing rooms after the game. Puskas kept crazed South Americans at bay with a boot in one hand, a bottle in the other.

26 Peter Storey (Arsenal and England)

One Storey that belonged in the horror section.

25 Ron Harris (Chelsea)

The man they called Chopper was the unacceptable face of a talented Chelsea team in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

24 Benjamin Massing (Cameroon)

His operatically over-the-top assault demolished Claudio Caniggia in the first game of the 1990 World Cup – the most ruthless assassination Milan had seen since partisans strung up Mussolini in 1945. Was Massing sent off? Is the Pope German?

23 Terry Hurlock (Millwall)

Neil Ruddock was asked in a magazine Q&A, ‘What’s your favourite animal?’ ‘Terry Hurlock,’ he replied.

22 Bryan Robson (Manchester United and England)

Injuries never bothered Captain Marvel. If he had a broken leg, it was the fracture that got depressed.

21 Terry Butcher (Ipswich, Rangers and England)

He could dish it out, but Terry ‘Butcher’ Butcher could take it too. Witness the night in Sweden when he ended the game with a crimson shirt, soaked with blood in the England cause.

20 Graeme Souness (Liverpool, Rangers and Scotland)

Garth Crooks whimpered that Souey was an ‘uncompromising brute’. Marked his Rangers debut with a red card for a two-footed outrage on Hibernian's George McCluskey, which sparked a 22-man melee.

19 Luis Medina (Estudiantes)

The Argentine was the nastiest specimen in one of the most despicable teams ever to emerge from South America. Estudiantes kicked, gouged and elbowed their way through a World Club Championship against Manchester United in 1968. Medina was sent off for picking on poor Georgie Best.

18 Norman Hunter (Leeds United and England)

Storming Norman was the first villain to claim the nickname ‘Bites yer legs’. Leeds’ trainer Les Cocker was once told Hunter had gone home with a broken leg. ‘Whose is it?’ he asked.

17 Antonio Rattin (Argentina)

The stone-thighed skipper stood out among a vintage crop of headcases at the 1966 World Cup in England. His sending off in the quarter-final prompted affable Sir Alf to brand the visitors ‘animals’.

16 Billy Bremner (Leeds United and Scotland)

The truculent so-and-so from a rough housing scheme in Stirling was the fiery ginger Scottish tough guy incarnate. Once described in a Sunday Times headline as ‘10st of barbed wire.’

15 Dave Mackay (Tottenham Hotspur and Scotland)

‘Mackay was unquestionably the hardest man I ever played against. And certainly the bravest.’ The words of George Best, who had been kicked by some of the world’s most lethal boot-boys.

14 Jose Batista (Uruguay)

The men from Montevideo have had their share of hoodlums down the years, and few can match the boorish antics of Batista. The highlight – sent off inside a minute against Scotland at the 1986 World Cup for a challenge that threatened to reduce Gordon Strachan to his constituent parts.

13 Paul Reaney (Leeds)

Best also rated Meanie Reaney among the people he least liked being kicked by. ‘(He) was among the toughest players I played against,’ he said. ‘He was at you the whole 90 minutes, using every dodgy trick in the book.’

12 Giuseppe Lorenzo (Bologna)

The quick-fisted Bolognese turned a match against Parma into a scene from a spaghetti western inside ten seconds in 1990. Lorenzo lamped an opponent and earned the fastest red card in history.

11 Roy Keane (Manchester United and Republic of Ireland)

So hard even Fergie was frightened of him.

10 Marco Tardelli (Italy)

Jimmy Greaves had Mad Dog Marco’s number. ‘He’s responsible for more scar tissue that the surgeons at Harefield Hospital,’ he observed.

9 Giuseppe Bergomi (Italy)

Looked like a fellow who had been black-balled by the Cosa Nostra for using unnecessary force.

8 Claudio Gentile (Italy)

There was nothing remotely genteel about Claudio, who formed the final leg of Italy’s Bad-Badder-Baddest trio with Bergomi and Tardelli at the 1982 World Cup.

7 Tommy Smith (Liverpool)

The man who made Biffa Bacon look like George Clooney was nicknamed The Anfield Iron. Legend says that Merseyside mothers kept his picture on the mantelpiece to keep their kids away from the fire. Missed the 1978 European Cup Final after tripping on a pickaxe and injuring his foot. The pickaxe was a write-off.

6 Leonel Sanchez (Chile)

The fistic outside-left played a starring role in one of the dirtiest matches in World Cup history – the Battle of Santiago against Italy at the World Cup in 1962. Sanchez, the son of a boxer, knocked out Humberto Maschio with a devastating left hook.

5 Johnny Giles (Leeds United and Ireland)

Harmer Giles graduated from Don Revie’s Academy of the Dark Arts with honours. In a team populated with miscreants, Giles was top of the shop. Chelsea’s Tommy Baldwin said, ‘Giles was the main instigator of the really bad tackles.’

4 Willie Woodburn (Rangers and Scotland)

Scottish centre-half of the 1950s who made Bremner, Mackay et al look like Sassenach milksops. He was kicked out of the game for life by the SFA after incurring a fifth sending off in six years – an astonishing strike rate for the time.

3 Basile Boli (Marseille, Rangers and France)

The only man brave and/or crazy enough to put the head on our own much-loved ‘Psycho’ Pearce. Bad Basile nutted Stuart at Euro 92, and lived to tell the tale. (see No.2)

2 Stuart Pearce (Nottingham Forest and England)

If ever an Englishman had a Heart of Oak it was Pearce – with a head hewn from the same material. When Boli butted him in Malmo (see No 3) Pearce felt nowt and got on with the game. That’s a man, my son.

1 Andoni Goikoetxea (Athletic Bilbao)

Everyone expected the Spanish Inquisition when they faced this mean hombre. The Butcher of Bilbao was plainly at least one prawn short of a paella, and delighted in reducing star names to rubble. Pride of place in the living room of El Sod was a glass case, containing one football boot. The boot he had used to destroy Diego Maradona’s ankle ligaments. Aye caramba!

Més que un club.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 11:00:48 AM »
Allyuh doh know what the assistant on the sideline said/did to provoke Gattuso's anger.  

Two sides to every story.  

Zidane head butt a man in he chest normal normal in a world cup final and real man jump to his defense and say Matterazzi deserve it...

Chances are Gattuso was just being an idiot, but if the assitant was throwin' talk, he hadda take he choke and cool it...In the heat of the action, all that in it...I eh know about the headbutt after the game but in the heat of the moment doh hide behind a bench and provoke a man who blood done hot...or else yuh lookin' fuh ting, and yuh just as guilty.

Gattuso's behavior in general throughout the game was very questionable though I have to say.  

Flamini's tackle was inexcusable....

Kicker that is rel mad talk you talking they. Ah man giving you talks so you choke him, you were sarcastic right.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2011, 11:09:10 AM »

My initial point was that Gattuso must have been provoked, and Jordan in a casual way of speaking probably "look fuh ting" by provoking him....  I said that in response to the general sentiment of the thread which seemed to be jumping on his back.  In general I agree his behavior was out of line.  I used the word questionable.  

I used the Zidane incident  in WC 2006 as an example of what in my opinion is an inconsistency in how we assess incidents about which we lack complete information...

You jump on my post telling me I talking sh*t, how Zidane is pure class (which in this context is absolutely incorrect)...then bringing in all kinda irrelevance about whether Gattuso was physically threatened, and Beckham, and who is choir boy...yadda yadda yadda....

It turns out that Gattuso was provoked...which was my original point...full stop.  

I eh go lie yuh very difficult to exchange a few posts with sometimes jed....

That was yuh initial confusion... I 'jump on' yuh post telling yuh yuh talking shit with regards to Jordan provoking Gattuso into his reaction.  Jordan juss saw one of his players have to be carried off the field and Gattuso carrying on like ah mad man over a simple foul.  He has every right to tell Gattuso to calm the f**k down and stop trying to instigate shit, especially with all that wild man play he was carrying on with.  Apparently that is adequate "provocation" in your mind sufficient to justify Gattuso reaction... or at least enough fuh you to come in and defend poor Gattito... which is exactly what he was acting like.

As fuh me being difficult to exchange a few posts with... dred, I am who I am and I ent asking fuh friends or companionship so fix up.  Just recognize that it goes both ways, doh feel that your penchant for straddling fence not as "difficult" fuh others to broker as well.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »
Allyuh doh know what the assistant on the sideline said/did to provoke Gattuso's anger.  

Two sides to every story.  

Zidane head butt a man in he chest normal normal in a world cup final and real man jump to his defense and say Matterazzi deserve it...

Chances are Gattuso was just being an idiot, but if the assitant was throwin' talk, he hadda take he choke and cool it...In the heat of the action, all that in it...I eh know about the headbutt after the game but in the heat of the moment doh hide behind a bench and provoke a man who blood done hot...or else yuh lookin' fuh ting, and yuh just as guilty.

Gattuso's behavior in general throughout the game was very questionable though I have to say.  

Flamini's tackle was inexcusable....

Kicker that is rel mad talk you talking they. Ah man giving you talks so you choke him, you were sarcastic right.

don't think anyone was defending gattuso's actions. think kicker was just making the point that people judge gattuso's actions differently than they would judge someone like zidane's because of reputation - which in a perfect world 'shouldn't' be the case.

an equivalent would be rodman in the nba. if rodman retaliate he would probably be villified more than the average player.

i think knowing gattuso, i wouldn't provioke the man. if i know he's a hot head hot and still provoke him, then i "look for" the consequence. i think that's what kicker means. i don't think he means that gattuos's actions are necessarily justified.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:14:12 AM by dwn »

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2011, 11:35:14 AM »
i dunno y allyuh saying the man provoke Gattuso.

Gattuso was looking for and deserved the talks and abuse by his actions on the field.

That flamini tackle and the lack of sportsmanship for the injured corluka shown by the AC men warrants abuse from anyone.

Then after that u have Gattuso continuing to play nasty. Wham, one injured player is not enough?

Is Falmini, AC players and Gattuso and not Tottenham players or coach who initiated the thing.
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2011, 11:39:31 AM »

Yeah that sums up where I stand.  If a man give you talk, choke him...  :-\

Yuh bess turn off da bulb in yuh head...yuh wastin' current...

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2011, 11:41:13 AM »
Recent development; apparently Gattuso's agent is saying that Jordan provoked Gattuso with inflammatory insults. Still doesn't justify what he did though. If what his agent is alleging is true, couldn't Gattuso have complained to the referee or the 4th official? Anything would have been better than the unsavoury confrontation.

Not to justify what Gattuso did, but the manner in which this game was officiated leads me to believe that even if he had complained to the referee or the fourth official, nothing would have been done.

On a side note, people are upset at Gattuso's reaction when he was issued a yellow card. Is it possible that he realized that he would miss the next game because of the accumulation of cards?
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2011, 11:48:28 AM »

As fuh me being difficult to exchange a few posts with... dred, I am who I am and I ent asking fuh friends or companionship so fix up.  Just recognize that it goes both ways, doh feel that your penchant for straddling fence not as "difficult" fuh others to broker as well.

Ok breds fine...btw I wasn't offering friendship or companionship, nor did I think you were asking for it...and I'm not sure how that's even relevant.... but you know we cool and that in general I do respect your posts...

What you term as my "penchant for straddling fence" (which I strongly disagree with) might just be a greater respect than you for the shade of grey in some situations -especially where I doh have full info or context...

1]; } ?>