April 26, 2024, 12:29:20 AM

Author Topic: Woodbrook residents agree to parking permits...Lee Sing at it again.  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Trinidad Express

Woodbrook residents agree to parking permits...accept Mayor's plan to reduce blocked driveways
By Camille Bethel camille.bethel@trinidadexpress.com

Story Updated: Feb 17, 2011 at 11:45 PM ECT

Woodbrook residents were up in arms on Wednesday evening when Port of Spain Mayor Louis Lee Sing proposed the introduction of permit stickers to allow them to park their vehicles outside their homes without fear of the wrecker.

However, after the permit sticker system was explained, residents agreed it would be the best solution to an ongoing problem in the neigbourhood, Lee Sing said yesterday.

"We have introduced the permit sticker to protect the Woodbrook residents from having their vehicles impounded if they park in their own driveway."

He said residents have the right to park in front their own driveways, but because there was no system in place before, there were a couple of times where their vehicles would have been impounded because they were parked in front of their driveways.

"The permit system is to avoid all of that."

Two stickers, he said, would be allotted to each household, which would have to be renewed annually.

"Woodbrook residents are only entitled to one driveway based on the regulations of the city; you, therefore, don't need more than two stickers per household.

"In fact, you only needed one because, really, you only have one driveway, and only one car could park in front of the driveway at a time."

He said if a household has more than two cars, then family members should park those cars in their yards.

Lee Sing said residents had an additional fear they would not be able to park on the road if they did not have a permit. However, he said they could park on the road if there is space.

"You are free to park anywhere on the road, governed by the normal road traffic regulations, but you can't park in front of the gateway if you don't have the sticker... We will not be held responsible for that," he said.

The mayor said the City Corporation had also proposed parking on side streets between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m. in the best interest of the residents, but they felt it would have been an imposition on them.

"(They did not understand) that this was in their best interest, and so they did not agree with that, and so that proposal was not carried forward."

Lee Sing said at the end of the meeting, held at the St Crispin's Anglican Primary School on Ariapita Avenue, on Wednesday evening, everyone was in agreement with the permit stickers.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Woodbrook residents agree to parking permits...Lee Sing at it again.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:28:39 AM »
I find this action was done hastily and is not right.

You allowing a park on the pavement essentially.

Yes it is infront of his house but this move makes it legal to obscure the sidewalk.

What about pedestrians who have to step into the street into traffic to go around these parked cars.

I find this is wrong...

Lee Sing on shit...nobody in the woodbrook area or any part of Trinidad leaves their car outside on the road jess so. That is break-in and loss car 101.

All Woodbrook residents secure their cars within their property.

He just trying to legitimize the wrecker operations and hauling away people car.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 10:59:38 AM »
Did I read this right?  If you park in your own driveway they can tow your car? 
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
I find this action was done hastily and is not right.

You allowing a park on the pavement essentially.

Yes it is infront of his house but this move makes it legal to obscure the sidewalk.

What about pedestrians who have to step into the street into traffic to go around these parked cars.

I find this is wrong...

Did I read this right?  If you park in your own driveway they can tow your car? 

What you have here is people who don't know how to communicate.  If I understand them right you're not parked in YOUR driveway, and not parked on the pavement (Touches) perpendicular to the roadway.  Instead this will allow people to park ON THE STREET, but in front of the driveway ENTRANCE.  So you're essentially blocking your own driveway.

Sounds like a good idea... utilize the extra space on the street.   Lord knows sometimes I go places in Flatbush and wish all them "free" spaces could be utilized.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 11:47:14 AM »
That make sense.  I trying to figure out what is really going on.  Yeah park in front your own gate with a proof of residence.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:17:43 PM »
permit is a nice idea or they deal with this  :o :o

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IgLJ6XZeWyA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IgLJ6XZeWyA</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 02:41:59 AM »
good job mayor

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 06:37:29 AM »
Bakes

No matter if the car is infront of YOUR driveway on the STREET....It is ILLEGAL because you have to follow the daily street parking rules.

Between 6 am and 4pm you are allowed to park on ONE side of the road...the side alternating on various days I.e Mon, Wed, Fri and Tues, Thurs.

If you give a man a permit...it is essentially allowing him to park infront his house no matter the time of day or day of the week...This will cause double parking and hence traffic friction.

Then once a man see a car park there, everybody else follows suit.

What residents did to avoid the parking on the road is to park on the pavement and leave the car hanging out into the road, this was to deter would-be parkers from blocking their driveway.

Wreckers then took these cars as they were infront the driveway and obscuring the pavement.

The permit is to allow you to get a little liberty from the wrecker.

I ent asking...I does be on the ave right tru and know residents there and I get this from them. Is a anti wrecking pass ting.

People fail to realise Woodbrook is no longer a residential area. All the side streets are now mas camps, salons, business places, boutiques, insurance etc and the 2-3 small church thrown in.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 07:40:39 AM »
^^^ okay, well you on de scene so you would know better.

1]; } ?>