April 24, 2024, 09:37:04 AM

Author Topic: Need help with cell phone.  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Need help with cell phone.
« on: February 19, 2011, 06:08:50 PM »
Ladies and gents, it seems that I now have to finally get a cell phone. Use to have a BB that I can't say is ours/mine any more. Can you suggest a phone which will allow me to do the following?

- BBM was sweet, since I could chat with people in T&T for free basically.
- want one with good video quality
- apps (tons of free or cool apps)
- operating system that's user friendly
- not overly expensive
- good picture quality
- I work online, so something which will allow me to use said phone to browse and do work seamlessly in the event I have too.

Please do share any other reasons for your recommendations. I've never been a cell phone type of person, as I hated people being able to contact me when I'm away from my office. But I have no choice now as I have to keep in contact with my girls.

Thx.

p.s. one that does not chew up a lot of bandwidth.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Need help with cell phone.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »
Bold

Torch

Storm 2

BBM does get you addicted.  This phone is highly rated if you could do without bbm.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »
Allyuh could keep allyuh BlackBerry dat does pop dung and lose contacts every three months... gimme ah Android phone any day.  Two years of happy marriage and counting... and since it syncs with your Gmail, you can chat (just as you'd send a text) for free with anyone else who has a Gmail account, which is pretty much half the civilized world at this point.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 09:47:08 AM »
thx for the help so far. BTW, BBM is not a key option, but I do like it.

Bakes, which android based phone would you recommend? What about quickness of use..apps etc?

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »
I currently use a Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S class), and this is as close to a computer that I have seen so far. Android 2.2, large bright screen with excellent resolution, good memory management, fast processor, good browser,  but you can install Firefox or Opera. You get 16GB of internal storage to start with and you can add your own SD card. With Android 2.2, you have the option of saving your apps to the SD card, making them portable.
 The main disadvantage of Android for me is the lack of UMA/WiFi calling, but...
There is no physical keyboard, but there is SWYPE which, with practice, is more than useful. Excellent camera (video and still), but not front-facing.

With the Android market the world is your oyster in terms of applications.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 11:21:25 AM »
Jumbie... sorry for the hit-and-run posting, schedule should free up in a couple days.  But to get started there's a thread here discussing the Android platform.  The main competitor for Android is Apple's O/S of course, specifically (and exclusively used on) the iPhone.  There are many forums on the net discussing the iPhone, so if you're seriously interested you might want to give them a look.

For Android though, the software is excellent... in my layman's mind and the number of apps may still trail the iPhone, but they're still in the hundreds of thousands and increasing constantly.  That's the software side.  As for which particular handsets are best, that's obviously a hardware issue, and not having had 5-10 different handsets I'm not sure I can really answer. 

I've had the MyTouch 3G for going on 2 yrs now and I love it... it's really a neat little phone with terrific functionality.  The 4G version is out now and a friend of mine really loves it (she has the 3G as a "backup" as well), but I personally haven't looked at it yet.  I want to upgrade just because I like having the latest and greatest, but this is the first phone which has lasted this long and hasn't given me any problems.  I easily could keep this for at least another year and I'd be fine.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:18:53 PM by Bakes »

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
thx for the help so far. BTW, BBM is not a key option, but I do like it.

Bakes, which android based phone would you recommend? What about quickness of use..apps etc?
android OS bess.. but for me bbm is more important now cause i do business on my fone..in trinidad and ALLA AH TRINIDAD AND DEY sister have one. and those who have iphone have whatsapp which u can get on your bb.
If i ever dont need tht again i will go back ot one of the newer HTC phones. i like android OS
btw bb new OS not bad at all..and soon they bringing out  touch screen bold with out the slide fetaure.. but still with key pad....
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

1]; } ?>