March 28, 2024, 02:33:27 PM

Author Topic: Electronic Petition to H.E. George Maxwell Richards  (Read 4464 times)

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Electronic Petition to H.E. George Maxwell Richards
« on: February 03, 2011, 09:19:23 AM »
Electronic Petition to H.E. George Maxwell Richards, Join the Movement! Sign ONLINE Now!
A national Petition to His Excellency Professor George Maxwell Richards, President of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, to request the immediate removal of Mr. Nizam Mohammed as Chairman of the Police Service Commission
Excellency,

On Thursday December 2, 2010, an incident occurred, involving Mr. Mohammed and police officers Gittens and Batson who were conducting road traffic duties  in the vicinity of Henry Street and Independence Square, Port of Spain.  Mr. Mohammed allegedly wilfully disobeyed the lawful instructions of Officer Gittens. Subsequently, Mr. Mohammed related his experience and accused the officers of being rude to him.
In December 2010, the Deputy Commissioner of Police ordered an investigation into the incident out of which:
1)   It was determined that no disciplinary action would be taken against the officers.
2)   Officers Gittens and Batson recommended that charges be laid against Mr. Mohammed

PETITION
We the Undersigned view Mr. Mohammed’s approach, attitude and behaviour towards the rule of law and officers Gittens and Batson as an abuse of power.
We believe that by his actions, Mr. Mohammed has lost all moral authority to oversee the organization, responsible for creating and measuring the standards of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service and deem him unfit so to do.
We believe that his continued tenure compromises the integrity of the Police Service Commission and the ability of the police officers to discharge duties without fear, favour or affection particularly when it involves persons perceived to be of certain socio economic status or holding high office.
Therefore we call on Your Excellency to request the immediate resignation of Mr. Mohammed as Chairman of the Police Service Commission. We believe that such action is essential to send a message to all citizens that no one is above the law in Trinidad and Tobago.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Required

I endorse the aformentioned petition *
By clicking this checkbox you acknowledge and endorse the petition as stated above and agree to allow Fixin' T&T to share this information with the authorities.
 Yes

Full Name *
Please enter your full name, Last Name; First Name - eg. Doe; John

Email Address *
This information will remain private and confidential.

Telephone Contact Please enter your Mobile or Land Land Number eg. 868-123-4567. This information will remain private and confidential.

Powered by Google Docs
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Electronic Petition to H.E. George Maxwell Richards
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 10:30:19 AM »
Fixin' T&T petitions for Nizam's removal
By Julien Neaves

Story Created: Jan 27, 2011 at 11:50 PM ECT

(Story Updated: Jan 27, 2011 at 11:50 PM ECT )

LOBBY group Fixin' T&T has an online petition to have Police Service Commission (PSC) chairman Nizam Mohammed removed from office online.

The group's head, Kirk Waithe, has also renewed calls for the other PSC members to clearly state their position on the incident involving Mohammed and two traffic police officers in December.

"We ... continue to call on commissioners Martin George, Addison Khan, Jacqueline Cheeseman, (and Kenneth Parker) to protect the integrity of the (PSC). We believe that they must make their position on this issue public. Either they support the chairman, and by so doing do not believe the integrity of the Commission had been compromised, or they don't," Waithe told the Express in a telephone interview on Wednesday.

The group eventually plans to submit the petition to President George Maxwell Richards and launched the online version, which can be accessed through www.fixintt.com, on Wednesday.

Waithe said that the response to the petition has been good and recalled that on the day they started, he personally got more than 100 physical signatures in the first few hours. He noted that volunteers were also collecting signatures around the country.

"We anticipate a healthy response," he added.

Waithe explained they were not aiming at any particular number, but will submit the signatures they have obtained by the time they can meet with Richards. He said the group planned to write the Office of the President seeking an audience for the submission, and they were hopeful of seeing him sometime next week.

The petition highlights a confrontation Mohammed had with two Special Reserve Police officers, WPC Marlene Gittens and PC Sean Batson, on December 2 at the corner of Henry Street and Independence Square, Port of Spain.

At the time of the incident, Mohammed, who was proceeding east along Independence Square on the centre lane, attempted to turn north onto Henry Street, when he was instructed by Gittens to continue proceeding east. In her report, Gittens stated that Mohammed instead drove onto Henry Street, following which she and Batson pursued his vehicle, which got stuck in traffic, and ordered him to pull to the side.

The officers, in their reports, had made recommendations that Mohammed be charged with failing to comply with a lawful instruction and causing an unnecessary obstruction.

National Security Minister, Brigadier John Sandy, said recently that Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs had stated that, after an investigation into the incident, it was determined that no action would be taken against Mohammed or the officers, who Mohammed had accused of being rude to him. Gibbs previously told the Express the matter was closed.

However, Fixin' T&T has continued their efforts to have him Mohammed removed from his post.

"We truly believe this to be right. We're still hopeful that the PSC chairman does the honourable and morally correct thing and step down of his own accord," Waithe said.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
failure to comply with a lawful instruction?
after further investigation no action to be taken again mohammed.
but still - REMOVE him?

people in trinbago have real time to waste oui  ::)

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:44:19 AM »
but still - REMOVE him?

you even understand what d issue is here ??? d fuuckin chairman Mudda cuunt police service commission take it upon him self to disobey d order of  police officers doing their jobs.........an when he get pull up decide to pull rank an' drop name, when dat eh wuk, try to pull d wotless & rude police card......no doubt to both cover his arse for d shit he do..........but also more diabolically tryin to set d stage takin disciplinary action against said officers for daring to stop he arrogant wotless ass when he get catch doin d wrong ting.

now tell me what kinda example he settin for d rest of us when doing dem shit..........if dat shit did happen where ever d f**k u is yuh tone woulda be different...........not so?
I pity the fool....

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:03:12 PM »
but still - REMOVE him?

you even understand what d issue is here ??? d fuuckin chairman Mudda cuunt police service commission take it upon him self to disobey d order of  police officers doing their jobs.........an when he get pull up decide to pull rank an' drop name, when dat eh wuk, try to pull d wotless & rude police card......no doubt to both cover his arse for d shit he do..........but also more diabolically tryin to set d stage takin disciplinary action against said officers for daring to stop he arrogant wotless ass when he get catch doin d wrong ting.

now tell me what kinda example he settin for d rest of us when doing dem shit..........if dat shit did happen where ever d f**k u is yuh tone woulda be different...........not so?

i eh care too much about he said she said kind of low base squabbles. de problem here is what de petition asking for. a dismissal for dis kind of common :bs: is absolute stupidity and a waste of de public's time. is no wonder t&t govt services set such a low bar when trinis does tolerate dis kind of amateur hour pettiness. ting goes hand in glove. de punishment must fit de crime - i eh seeing dat here.

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:08:48 PM »
but still - REMOVE him?

i eh care too much about he said she said kind of low base squabbles. de problem here is what de petition asking for. a dismissal for dis kind of common :bs: is absolute stupidity and a waste of de public's time. is no wonder t&t govt services set such a low bar when trinis does tolerate dis kind of amateur hour pettiness. ting goes hand in glove. de punishment must fit de crime - i eh seeing dat here.

soooo let mih understand it ok for public official to flout d law....ok den

edit
...........if yuh did suddenly hear d officers on disciplinary leave dem punishment woulda fit dem crime to right
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:19:15 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »
but still - REMOVE him?

soooo let mih understand it ok for public official to flout d law....ok den

so yuh think dismissal is de right punishment for this transgression? ???

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 12:22:34 PM »
see above edited mih post may while yuh typing................but d answer would be ah straight yes not because of the infraction itself, but because of the way the situation developed and what transpired

so he gettin fired for ........wait for it.... Abuse of Office or Attempting to pervert the course of justice ......which is d real issues being debated
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 12:40:24 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »
Mih eh care bout no damn petition or whether or not Nizam go or he come.....I just want Gibbs or Ewatski number so ah could call dem de next time ah police dares to pull me over....I'll show them!!!!   ::) ::)

Yuh know what killing me??.....ah not sure whether we want REAL change about the way we are GOVERNED or we just want to continue being a happy-go-lucky banana republic.......

Hear ah next thing that killing me....Gibbs realise is a friggin 2 x 4 country he wukking in, he learn we dutty ways fast, fast.....so he have de gall to come here and tell me case closed, move on.  He wouldn't dare pull that one on his fellow Canadians but he want to come here and tell me case closed, move on???!!!   Not so fast, Gibbsy....

I applaud fixintt's efforts.  For once somebody not wiling to let the issue die like the proverbial 9 day wonder......my concern is what happens after the petition is presented to the President tomorrow.... :-\
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 03:22:22 PM »
lefty, ah tink allyuh really just lookin for a judas to beat. de petition writers have a responsibility to call for a proportional response. dese people gorn off de deep end. imagine de petition dey go write for calder hart or abu!!  :o

by not assuming dis responsibility dey demonstrate how serious dey are to be taken. in this instance, dey reveal demselves to be a troop of :joker: in need of circus :clown:.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 12:52:47 AM »
I support the fixin T&T lobby group ,we have to start somewhere and that man aint know angel, his name is being called in some  other shit lately .

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 07:09:57 AM »
I support the fixin T&T lobby group ,we have to start somewhere

CO-SIGNNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 09:11:25 AM »
I support the fixin T&T lobby group ,we have to start somewhere and that man aint know angel, his name is being called in some  other shit lately .

angels? ???  is a church yuh running or a govt?

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 11:17:39 AM »
Breds jus what you asking me at time i ask myself the same thing when i see or hear the way they would be kicksing in parliment i does want to know what comedy show i am looking at .

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »
Breds jus what you asking me at time i ask myself the same thing when i see or hear the way they would be kicksing in parliment i does want to know what comedy show i am looking at .

zulu, yuh absolutely correck. both de parliament and de petition-writers are products of de same culture. de culture which doh take on any responsibility until everyone else done take theirs FIRST! always want to play judge, jury and executioner and never initiate responsible actions. dismiss one :clown: and deal a next :joker: from de deck. accountability in a culture that doh reward responsibility is just shuffling a deck full of :joker:. dat is why ah stick on dis point of what a fair punishment is for obstructing traffic and bruising de egos of two PC. if de petition-writers cannot demonstrate a level higher than mohammed, than what people really tink dey supporting?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2011, 12:23:44 PM »

Since d 70's or early 80's Explainer say dat ntten eh change. But is dem who vote 4 SPALK so what all yuh expect
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »
Breds Trinbago is sick and if this is what it going to take to help make Trinbago better why should we not support them .

You do not know how it break my heart to see the  way politicians treat the people of our country the way the play us one against the other and even worse come election time .

I feel each County or Borough should have a branch of Fixin T&T , we starting and we starting  with the little things that we can handle and as we grow in numbers we will surely handle bigger things .     

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »
Why close case against Nizam?
Law Association writes Top CoP
Story Created: Feb 5, 2011 at 1:43 AM ECT

(Story Updated: Feb 5, 2011 at 1:43 AM ECT )

The Law Association has written to Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs asking that he explain the reasons why the decision was taken to close the case involving the Chairman of the Police Service Commission, Nizam Mohammed and two police officers.

Mohammed was involved in an incident in December 2 last year in which he could have faced traffic charges of failing to comply with a lawful instruction and causing an unnecessary obstruction during a confrontation he had with Special Reserve Police officers–WPC Marlene Gittens and PC Sean Batson–at the corner of Henry Street and Independence Square, Port of Spain.

Mohammed claimed that he was directed to proceed north along Henry Street by one of the officers but was subsequently stopped by the officers. He telephoned Deputy Commissioner Jack Ewatski asking him to intervene. Following the Express' exclusive story on the matter, Mohammed was roundly criticised. Gibbs subsequently stated that it was determined that no action would be taken against Mohammed or the officers who Mohammed had accused of being rude to him.

"It has now been reported that you consider the incident closed and that the incident was a 'misunderstanding'. We write to express our surprise at this low level of accountability for a matter disturbing to the public conscience," the Association stated in its letter to the Commissioner.

Recalling that it was reported that the matter would be taken to mediation, the Association stated: "While this appeared to the Association to be a soft option, mediation would have at least meant that the matter would have been examined and that some conclusion would have emerged consistent with due process of law".

The Association said it did not know whether mediation was held nor was it clear from the public record how the matter was addressed, "leaving doubts in the mind of the public as to whether there was proper administration of justice in the circumstances".

The Association pointed out that two of the statutory purposes of the Law Association are to protect and assist the public in Trinidad and Tobago in all matters relating to the law and to promote, maintain and support the administration of justice and the rule of law.

The Association stated that its restraint, thus far, was dictated by the necessity to respect due process and not to be seen in any way to prejudice the enquiries of the Commissioner of Police into the matter.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »

zulu, yuh absolutely correck. both de parliament and de petition-writers are products of de same culture. de culture which doh take on any responsibility until everyone else done take theirs FIRST! always want to play judge, jury and executioner and never initiate responsible actions. dismiss one :clown: and deal a next :joker: from de deck. accountability in a culture that doh reward responsibility is just shuffling a deck full of :joker:. dat is why ah stick on dis point of what a fair punishment is for obstructing traffic and bruising de egos of two PC. if de petition-writers cannot demonstrate a level higher than mohammed, than what people really tink dey supporting?

Boss, where yuh living? Its a serious question, because if this was the good old US of A, you would definitely know that if that incident happened in the USA, and those officers had to persue Mr.Mohammed, he would have been pulled over by about a million cops with their guns drawn and he would have been charged with eluding police and sundry other charges. He would have left the scene in handcuffs, his vehicle towed and he would have an appointment with a judge in short order. Its not merely a matter of "bruised egos". When you consider his PUBLIC AND ELECTED, job function, YES, dismissal is in order.

You thinking is small thing because I suspect you are also a product of that same culture yuh talking about. The petition writers are on point. The public is becoming engaged. The police were being both responsible and holding the lawbreaker accountable, but yet you have  a problem with that. The only failing here is that they didn't pile on the charges and haul him off to jail. When that kinda thing start happening on the roadside on a regular in TnT is when law and order will prevail.
Two islands are better than one.

Online lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2011, 08:59:55 PM »

Boss, where yuh living? Its a serious question, because if this was the good old US of A, you would definitely know that if that incident happened in the USA, and those officers had to persue Mr.Mohammed, he would have been pulled over by about a million cops with their guns drawn and he would have been charged with eluding police and sundry other charges. He would have left the scene in handcuffs, his vehicle towed and he would have an appointment with a judge in short order. Its not merely a matter of "bruised egos". When you consider his PUBLIC AND ELECTED, job function, YES, dismissal is in order.

You thinking is small thing because I suspect you are also a product of that same culture yuh talking about. The petition writers are on point. The public is becoming engaged. The police were being both responsible and holding the lawbreaker accountable, but yet you have  a problem with that. The only failing here is that they didn't pile on the charges and haul him off to jail. When that kinda thing start happening on the roadside on a regular in TnT is when law and order will prevail.

you really studin he, I jus assume he get drop ah couple times on he head as ah baby an' leave him alone, because if he cyar see what inherently wrong with dat situation, den he obviously don't possess the capacity for responsible minded thinkin......doh bother
I pity the fool....

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2011, 12:13:35 PM »

sf, please point to a case where someone occupying a similar position was dismissed as a consequence of getting a ticket. this goes to the question of proportion.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:16:28 PM by ribbit »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 12:40:29 PM »
sf, please point to a case where someone occupying a similar position was dismissed as a consequence of getting a ticket. this goes to the question of proportion.

The offense goes beyond the mere traffic violation... anybody with sense could see that.  Not surprising that you struggling with it.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »

As pointed out to you before somewhere in this thread, the issue is not only the ticket, it has to do with good governance.  That Mr. Mohammed was not charged and the Commish could tell we case closed is due to the fact that we are living in a 2 x 4, banana republic. And by your utterances you want it to remain so.......
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 12:43:34 PM by Brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »

As pointed out to you before somewhere in this thread, the issue is not only the ticket, it has to do with good governance.  That Mr. Mohammed was not charged and the Commish could tell we case closed is due to the fact that we are living in a 2 x 4, banana republic. And by your utterances you want it to remain so.......

bs ... ah should say brownsugar so yuh eh tink ah cussing ... ah see public officials get dismissed from office for fraud or bias (pay for play, or taking gifts). yuh contend this is something like "abuse of power" based on de say so of de bruised egos.

de process initiated by de deputy say different, yuh eh having it. (aside: what should happen to deputy since he obviously covering something up here? dismissed as well?).

here wha - provide a list of the punishment for mohammed and de deputy commissioner of police. also provide some similar cases demonstrating this is a proportional response.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 04:30:53 AM »
Drayton: Many questions on Nizam controversy

By Anna Ramdass anna.ramdass@trinidadexpress.com

Story Created: Feb 23, 2011 at 2:47 AM ECT

(Story Updated: Feb 23, 2011 at 2:47 AM ECT )

The controversy surrounding chairman of the Police Services Commission Nizam Mohammed has left the public with many unanswered questions, says Independent Senator Helen Drayton.

She raised the matter yesterday in her contribution to a private motion on the process of constitutional reform at the Senate sitting at the Red House, Port of Spain.

Last December, Mohammed was involved in a traffic incident in which he failed to comply with the directives of WPC Marlene Gittens and PC Sean Batson, and instead tried to use his office and link to Commissioner of Police Dwayne Gibbs to avoid having to obey instructions from the officers. The incident was exclusively reported by the Express. Gibbs has since said the matter was closed.

Yesterday, however, in emphasising that there was a failure of institutions in this country, Drayton noted that many questions remain unanswered.

"The public has been left to believe that the chairman of the Police Service Commission has failed to comply with the directive of a public police officer," she said.

Stressing that she is not making a determination as to who is right or wrong, she said, "The point I'm trying to make is that the communication is so poor you have your Commissioner of Police who literally dismissed the matter to the public, but the public is still saying 'hey give me an answer in this situation, it is my money paying him, it is my money paying the Commissioner of Police'."

She said if an ordinary citizen had parked their vehicle outside the Red House, they would be instructed by police to move it and if they failed to do so, they would be ticketed or carried to the police station.

"I am not saying that anybody has done wrong, but a lot of offices in this country are brought into disrepute because the communication is so abysmally poor. So why should the average citizen feel there is equity, fairness and justice?" she asked.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 09:42:34 AM »
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

} George Orwell

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2011, 09:34:57 PM »
"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others"

} George Orwell

WELL SAID

1]; } ?>