April 28, 2024, 02:11:08 AM

Author Topic: Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks in blockbuster deal.  (Read 3833 times)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks in blockbuster deal.
« on: February 23, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »
Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks in blockbuster deal
By Benjamin Hochman and Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post

Denver's five biggest dealsThe Carmelo Anthony trade saga is finally over.

The Nuggets traded Melo to the New York Knicks tonight, a league source said. Denver gets Wilson Chandler, Raymond Felton, Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mozgov, the Knicks 2014 first-round draft pick, the Warriors' 2012 second-round pick, the Warriors' 2013 second-round pick and $3 million in cash.

Anthony will go to New York, along with Chauncey Billups, Shelden Williams, Anthony Carter and Renaldo Balkman.

Anthony was not at the Nuggets' practice as the team resumed workouts following the All-Star break. Billups left the team's Monday practice without speaking to reporters.

Nuggets coach George Karl, after learning of the trade, said:

"I'm glad its over.

I'm glad it's an opportunity to reinvent. I think everybody handled it as classy as you could handle it. There's some sadness to it, there always will be."

A source said the Knicks will send Anthony Randolph and Eddy Curry to Minnesota as part of the deal.

As part of the trade, Denver will lose a veteran point guard and hometown favorite in Billups.

"I think Chauncey will go down as one of the greatest winners," Karl said." His record of what, eight, seven, eight conference finals? That's incredible. That's who he is and what he stands for.

"I think there are many people, including myself, that will be sad for Chauncey. I know he loves Denver and we love him.

"But things happen and decisions have to be made, and I'm 100 percent behind the decision that we made, even though it will be dangerous and won't be the veteran point guard back there."

When asked about the players from New York he will soon have on his roster, Karl said:

"I think they play exciting basketball. They are exciting young players.

"How we rebuild our team and construct it, there are going to be some tough moments," Karl said. "But I think it will be fun to see how fast this team will come together,

"My hope and desire is to continue to be a playoff team."

Nuggets guard J.R. Smith said Monday after practice, after learning of the trade:

"I mean, it's just rebuilding first. We gotta go forward with what we got. And try to do the best we can in the playoffs."

When asked if there's time this season to salvage a Nuggets playoff run, Smith said:

"I think there is. Our backs have been up against the wall many times before."

The trade will not be made official until the team's conduct a conference call with league officials Tuesday morning.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Carmelo Anthony traded to New York Knicks in blockbuster deal.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
What ah debut.The place was electric. They won and he scored 27pts.He ain't even practice with the team as yet.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:50:38 PM »
What ah debut.The place was electric. They won and he scored 27pts.He ain't even practice with the team as yet.

Yea but I'll have to see some more of him, (I'm not saying he won't do well) that was an emotional victory last night and let's be real, they played the Bucks. I was glad to see the fans excited though.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:36:17 AM »
Ratings for Carmelo Anthony's Knicks' debut highest for regular season since Michael Jordan played

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS  

Carmelo Anthony's Knicks' debut drew the highest rating for a regular-season game on MSG Network since Michael Jordan's famed "double-nickel" game 16 years ago.

The Knicks said their 114-108 victory over Milwaukee on Wednesday earned a 6.75 household rating, easily topping the previous high this season, a 3.61 for the Boston Celtics' visit Dec. 15.

It was MSG's highest-rated Knicks telecast in the regular season since Jordan's return to the Garden after his first retirement, when he scored 55 points in a Chicago victory.

The Knicks are averaging a 1.62 rating through 52 games, a 60% increase over the 1.01 at this time last season.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:38:34 AM by royal »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 11:02:16 AM »
im loving it  :wavetowel:

anthony and stoudamire

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »
come on NY.. I backing allyuh on this one.. Lets guh put a freekin beating on miami fi mi please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
My Knicks surprised me tonight... great fight, and good early return on a trade that I still not convinced about.  I watch Gallo, Chandler and Felton take it to Portland the other night and my heart was heavy with regret that they no longer in NY blue.

But kudos to Anthony and Billups for coming in fully committed on both ends.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:40:05 AM »
My Knicks surprised me tonight... great fight, and good early return on a trade that I still not convinced about.  I watch Gallo, Chandler and Felton take it to Portland the other night and my heart was heavy with regret that they no longer in NY blue.

great win indeed. best for the season. Against good opposition, away from the garden, huge spotlight and overcoming several large deficits in the process.

I will miss them fellas a lot but from a basketball perspective I think Melo is worth it.  The way I see it is if we had managed to keep all of them and get Melo he woulda usurped most of Chandler and Gallo's responsibilities anyway. I rather have Felton than Chauncey myself but I guess we all in for Chris Paul in 2012. 

I don't think we could catch Atlanta (or Orlando if they fall far enough) for the 5th seed but if we did I think we would prob beat the 4 seed with this team.  Will be interesting to see which one of BOS/MIA/CHI end up with the 3 seed.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:42:01 AM »

everybody taking billups for an imce... billups took it to lakers who had a star squad and got di mvp.. billups  aint no push over.. di man still have game... good to see Knicks winning this game.. I want basket ball to get back the way it use to be with the jordan, miller,ewing era.. I wanna see dat Chicago Knicks clash come back the way it use to be.. I wanna see dat..  then I know basketball is back.. anyway MVP Mr Rose anyone say lebron aint know the game of basket ball.. Rose carrying My bulls... lebron is surronded by stars how he guh get MVP.. also is ime for heat to fire dat coach.. he afraid of his players...
war
Black Lives Matter..

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 01:03:14 PM »

everybody taking billups for an imce... billups took it to lakers who had a star squad and got di mvp.. billups  aint no push over.. di man still have game... good to see Knicks winning this game.. I want basket ball to get back the way it use to be with the jordan, miller,ewing era.. I wanna see dat Chicago Knicks clash come back the way it use to be.. I wanna see dat..  then I know basketball is back.. anyway MVP Mr Rose anyone say lebron aint know the game of basket ball.. Rose carrying My bulls... lebron is surronded by stars how he guh get MVP.. also is ime for heat to fire dat coach.. he afraid of his players...
war

Nobody ent taking Billups for no 'imce'... de man is 34 yrs old and have ah lot ah wear on dem tires.  That is a major concern because Tony Douglas seems to have plateaued and we ent have anybody to really come in and take control of the offense behind Billups.  Billups self doh know the offense... right now three games in and we still playing on vaps.  But they improving... we get away against a very imperfect Miami squad who lack a true PG themselves.  With more offensive discipline last night and they easily could have blown us away.  We just happen to catch fire the same time they when jumpshot crazy.  Add to that the fact that Wade struggled whole night.  Don't be deceived by this one win... great as it is.

Daryn... my thing with the trade is that we coulda wait until the off-season to get 'Melo.  Of course with the pending labor issues there's no telling if he would have waited, or re-signed with Denver or some other team.. but why the rush?  We ent going anywhere this year so getting 'Melo isn't going to mean any difference to us this year.  This was just a power move by Dolan to get a shiny toy to fill seats in the Garden.  Long term we stand to benefit of course... but again, that begs the question... if the benefits are more long term rather than short term... why the rush?  Mind you, we didn't just give up three quality players... STARTERS... but also two first-round picks.

I just kinda tired of us giving up on or getting rid of players prematurely... everywhere you turn ex-Knicks making their mark.  Nate was a solid contributor to the Celtics last year and will make for a nice back up to Westbrook in OKC.  Zach Randolph is a beast down in Memphis... although granted the team ent doing nutten... just as the Knicks when he was here.  Channing Frye hit a big J to defeat Indy last night... and is another solid player for the Suns.  Jamal Crawford has always been a very good player... is perhaps the biggest reason the Hawks will make noise again this post-season.  Some of them had to go for salary cap purposes (freeing money to sign Stoudemire for instance), but to give up young talent like Gallo, Felton and Chandler... AND two first-round picks... that hard to swallow.  But we'll see, hopefully the returns on the trade will be both sustained and long term and my reservations proved unnecessary.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 09:47:40 PM »
I hear what yuh saying about ex-Knicks doing well. IMO, the problem with the Isiah era wasn't the players that pass thru but rather that Isiah just couldn't stop tinkering and the team was never well put together at any point in time. It had quite a few times when the team was starting to gel and they go and do something experimental.

the two transactions that infuriated/perplexed me the most from the Knicks
1) we realized that Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph couldn't play together so we keep Curry and trade Zach Randolph for Tim Thomas.
2) we make an excellent draft pick to get Trevor Ariza and the man doing very well and we turn around and ship him to Orlando so we could experiment with a Steve Francis/Stephon Marbury backcourt.

Also, it's really a shame that Eddy Curry's contract is the reason we don't have Amar'e, Melo and David Lee at the same time.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:40:02 PM »
Bakes I hear what you're saying, NY management should've waited till the end of the season and sign Melo without having to give up anything to Denver. But Denver was pressing them because they knew if they didn't trade him now, they won't get anything in return at the end of the season just like how Cleveland and Toronto suffered when James and Bosh left.
Ah feel like you said, they have the chance to sell tickets at higher prices, sell jersey's and fill out every home game for the rest of the season. Plus Anthony and Stoudamire may entice other superstars like Chris Paul or even Deron Williams to NY in the off season. The only reason I felt the Knicks gave up so much was to make cap room for another big signing this summer.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 11:35:46 PM »
Bakes I hear what you're saying, NY management should've waited till the end of the season and sign Melo without having to give up anything to Denver. But Denver was pressing them because they knew if they didn't trade him now, they won't get anything in return at the end of the season just like how Cleveland and Toronto suffered when James and Bosh left.
Ah feel like you said, they have the chance to sell tickets at higher prices, sell jersey's and fill out every home game for the rest of the season. Plus Anthony and Stoudamire may entice other superstars like Chris Paul or even Deron Williams to NY in the off season. The only reason I felt the Knicks gave up so much was to make cap room for another big signing this summer.

Nah them tied up until Summer of 2012, and now we maxed out and doh really have room under the cap to sign anyone.  We'll be lucky to dump some salary (Corey Brewer) on the way out so that we can get another player this off-season.

Daryn yuh eh lying... Eddy Curry real fack we up, never thought that fella woulda turn out to be such a colossal bust.  Ariza I ent really missing too much, he had a big season with LA but other than that he like any other swingman out there... a Gerald Wallace/Stephen Jackson in the making.

Isaiah, fuh all the licks he get... the man know talent.  Ariza, Lee, Nate, Channing Frye, Chandler... all under his watch.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 08:16:43 AM »
In January of 2005, me and big dawg went to the garden to watch this game (espn box score at the link)*. I knew Ariza was going to be good. 

I don't mean to belabour the point but we trade the man so we could get a Stephon Marbury clone to play with Stephon Marbury. I have no idea how Isiah and Larry Brown convinced each other that was going to work.

*-This was during the short-lived Herb Williams coaching era. At one point Knicks was making a run in the 3rd quarter and had all the momentum and Herb called a timeout and kill the game. That's when we knew Herb had to go back to coaching school.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »
In January of 2005, me and big dawg went to the garden to watch this game (espn box score at the link)*. I knew Ariza was going to be good. 

I don't mean to belabour the point but we trade the man so we could get a Stephon Marbury clone to play with Stephon Marbury. I have no idea how Isiah and Larry Brown convinced each other that was going to work.

*-This was during the short-lived Herb Williams coaching era. At one point Knicks was making a run in the 3rd quarter and had all the momentum and Herb called a timeout and kill the game. That's when we knew Herb had to go back to coaching school.

Yeah... I still not sold on Ariza though.   And yeah, Herb is mih boy, but he eh ready.  I still remember when we traded for Herb (from Dallas) to back up Ewing.... can't remember what we gave them though.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:26:39 AM by Bakes »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 12:57:54 AM »
Tough luck loss tonight... too much Howard early, too much Nelson late.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2011, 06:17:03 AM »

NY needs a big man desperately !!!!!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »

NY needs a big man desperately !!!!!

yes they do, in order to survive the playoffs, you need a big man and at least one back up if not 2 for the 15 fouls available for the team. it should be a 3 centre rotation, phil normally likes to use this method in his championship teams.

1]; } ?>