April 25, 2024, 04:02:17 PM

Author Topic: Bahrain a serious threat  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bahrain a serious threat
« on: October 19, 2005, 09:10:52 PM »
Bahrain a serious threat
By Ian Prescott (Trinidad Express)

Trinidad and Tobago will have to leave Port of Spain with a big win on November 12 before meeting Bahrain four days later in the second-leg of their World Cup qualifier play-off at the 30,000 capacity Bahrain National Stadium in the capital city of Manama on November 16.

Bahrain were once one of those soccer nations that used to be the whipping boys of Asia, but have since improved significantly under foreign coaching. Located just East of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain is the largest of an interconnected chain of islands. An oil rich Arabic country, Bahrain is one of those few nationals whose currency has more value that the United States dollar, the conversion of which is US$2.67 to one Bahrain Dinar.

Bahrain's qualifying run saw them win one of eight groups in the early stage of Asian World Cup qualifying. The group, which included Bahrain, Syria, Tajikistan and Kryrgyzstan, appeared weak and Bahrain were able to cruise through unbeaten with a record of four wins and two draws in their six matches. That put them in one of four Asian final round qualifying groups, which included Japan, Iran, Bahrain and North Korea.

Against stronger opposition, Bahrain did not fare as well. They got just a 0-0 draw with Iran and a 3-2 victory over the weak North Koreans to finish third in the Stage 3 tournament. That, however, was enough to earn them a fifth play-off with Uzbekistan which they drew 1-1 and 0-0, moving on on away goals to meet Trinidad and Tobago for a place in the 2006 World Cup Finals.Â

Although Bahrain's trip to the play-offs does not seem rather impressive in recent times they have gotten very good results against the top teams in Asia, especially last year when a good Asian Nations Cup run saw them beating the likes of China and Japan. They have also won over the likes of Thailand and Saudi Arabia, teams that have beaten T&T in the past in friendly matches in the Middle East.Â

Last year's positive results saw Bahrain as one of the fastest movers up the FIFA World Rankings and they are now ranked #52 in the world, four places higher than Trinidad and Tobago. Their performances have also seen many of their players getting professional contracts in the oil rich Qatar League, which employs many Brazilians as well. Much of their success has to do with the coming of a German head coach in Wolfgang Sidka, who turned them into a defensive and extremely hard to beak down bunch. They are also reported to be super fit and very quick on the break. They proved their prowess at defending against Uzbekistan, who needed a goal, but could not crack Bahrain at home despite all their efforts. T&T will have to crack that nut at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain.

Sidka taught Bahrain the importance of fitness and self confidence. During a two-month stint, he turned them into a winning unit at the Asian Cup, before retiring for medical reasons.

Likewise, new coach Luka Peruzovic of the Czech Republic, harps on fitness, but he's described more as a master tactician and has had ten years coaching experience in the Middle East. However, Peruzovic continues to build Bahrain around a solid defence and believes in defeating opponents with good strategy, technique and teamwork. This was confirmed by Uzbekistan coach, Bobby Houghton, who is reported to have said: "They (Bahrain) attacked, but did not leave any spaces for us to exploit."

Their back-line is marshalled by lanky defender Hussain Ali, a 22-year-old, who is also captain of the National Under-23 squad. Ali has said that it is teamwork and the ability to launch swift counter-attacks that has made them dangerous.

"Look at our recent matches in the Olympic and the World Cup qualifiers, most of our goals have come from counter-attacks," he is reported as saying.

Many of their goals have come off the boot of Alaa Habail, who is the "Stern John" of Bahrain. Habail is a noted goalscorer. He has been injured, but is rated so important to their cause that he came back from an eight-month lay-off just for the play-off against Uzbekistan and cause his fair share of worry. He is one T&T may have to get a body on during the November 12 match in Port of Spain.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Bahrain a serious threat
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 09:38:13 PM »
Of course it will be very tight.
But in all fairness, Bahrain has never really come up against top quality pedigree teams.
Japan is perhaps the best team they have ever played, and I feel even Costa Rica in CONCACAF can beat Japan.
Our players individually should be technically better, as we play or played against some of the best in the business.
We also have more experience in playing pressure games
We have experience in playing in colossal failures.
We have experience in coming from behind and winning games, which is extremely important, as it happened recently.
This is all setting up for a classic David vs Goliath battle, LOL.

What I worried about Bahrain is their collective will. Them asian could come out like jep at we.
But I see T&T playing with a will and desire that I have not seein in over a decade.

Gosh, more nailbiting to come soon yes.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 09:57:14 PM »
 But I see T&T playing with a will and desire that I have not seein in over a decade.

that statement is so true.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 10:35:30 PM »
i juss hope no money passin in dis game, at all, in any form, and im not directin it 2 de players, its 2 everyone who is involved in de playoff itself

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 10:47:24 PM »
ah wonder if bahrain ever see lattas play?
we go geh dem ah goal, from de lef side
ah goal, from de right side
ah goal from de front side
and if dey score one yuh know its ah offside
ah goal from penalty
ah goal straight past de goalie
ah goal foo T&T...goa!!!!!!l...goal!!!!!!!l...goalllllll!!!!!!!!!!!
 T&TTTTTT we want ah goalll
T&TTTTTTTT we want ah goallll!!!!!

when dey hear dat, dey go geh frighten :devil: :devil: :devil:

Offline Alsalman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 11:23:43 PM »
But in all fairness, Bahrain has never really come up against top quality pedigree teams.
Japan is perhaps the best team they have ever played, and I feel even Costa Rica in CONCACAF can beat Japan.
Our players individually should be technically better, as we play or played against some of the best in the business.
We have experience in coming from behind and winning games, which is extremely important, as it happened recently.

What I worried about Bahrain is their collective will. Them asian could come out like jep at we.

Trinidad if anything has way more expereince, and I fear for the mental state of our players (Bahrain) because well they are all young, new to this stuff and pressure ...

But for us not playing against strong competition, well we beat Saudi 3-0, we played Japan, we Played Iran (how many players does Iran have as starters in the Bundislega, check Karimi one of the best players for Bayern Munich this season, we shut him down twice) ... we have very good players... but with that said and done, its the mental edge that trinidad has (more experience, more exposure) that truely worries me... I don't fear the technical aspect, as having seen some of Trinidad's games... I think we are rather equal...

so it will be a mental battle, and I hope whatever shrink is working on our players does his job right hahaha

-Sal

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 11:52:08 PM »
Definitely it will be a mental battle. 

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 06:11:39 AM »

Trinidad if anything has way more expereince, and I fear for the mental state of our players (Bahrain) because well they are all young, new to this stuff and pressure ...

But for us not playing against strong competition, well we beat Saudi 3-0, we played Japan, we Played Iran (how many players does Iran have as starters in the Bundislega, check Karimi one of the best players for Bayern Munich this season, we shut him down twice) ... we have very good players... but with that said and done, its the mental edge that trinidad has (more experience, more exposure) that truely worries me... I don't fear the technical aspect, as having seen some of Trinidad's games... I think we are rather equal...

so it will be a mental battle, and I hope whatever shrink is working on our players does his job right hahaha

-Sal

This is one of the more sensible post by our Bahrainians counterparts, it will be two tight legs. From what I'm hearing Bahrain have swift players that can break on the counter. However at this level, experience is vital, succeed or fail, Bahraini players will be better off for 2010 as it is a young bunch.

Offline Alsalman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 09:06:12 AM »

-Sal

This is one of the more sensible post by our Bahrainians counterparts, it will be two tight legs. From what I'm hearing Bahrain have swift players that can break on the counter. However at this level, experience is vital, succeed or fail, Bahraini players will be better off for 2010 as it is a young bunch.

Bahrain does have a good counter attack, with Good players down the middle like Bin Salmeen, and Talal Yousif as well as the return of Alaa Hubail who was so sorely missed in attack (by far our best attacker).

Experience is indeed vital, and Trinidad does have lots of it, in the form of the older players they have like Yorke.

As for the 2010, I don't know man... I think many people feel an urgancy about getting in now... I don't know ... with Asia losing a seat I think and the inclusion of Australia in the Asian qualifying... its going to be much harder

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 09:52:30 AM »
you like u wake up in a good mood today mr Alsalman .

Good posts indeed.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 09:54:01 AM »
agreed i have a new found respect for you alsalman. i hope after the tournament you stay to discuss some football with us :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Alsalman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 11:05:14 AM »
you like u wake up in a good mood today mr Alsalman .

Good posts indeed.

yea I smoked some shisha yesterday night  ;D kinda relaxed, all cool and stuff lol !

thanx  :)

agreed i have a new found respect for you alsalman. i hope after the tournament you stay to discuss some football with us :beermug:

oh for sure bro, I mean its gonna be a tough game on both sides, and in the end the best team in the 2 games will make it to the world cup, no hardfeelings between the fans after that ...

so hopefully we will   :)

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 11:17:26 AM »
yeh i agree, Bahrain will see it as now or never, China getting knocked out help pave some of the way for Bahrain. but for 2010 u will have Saudi Arabia, Japan, Iran, S Korea, China, Austrailia and teams like north korea, kuwait and Uzbekistan will only get better off the back of making it to the last round. so it will be tuff to even make it to the final groups for 2010.

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 11:21:42 AM »
Yeah man, I agree let the better team in those 2 games win and qualify. If T&T can play with the intensity and desire which led them to beat Mexico then we should deserve the win, same with Bahrain. If T&T does not put their best foot forward and BEAT Bahrain by at least 2 clear goals, then it will be a big mission (albeit attainable) to compete with Bahrain in their home. It is time for our defenders to step up as well.

Warriors forever!!  :D

Jason.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline butaimaa

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 03:39:47 PM »
Corrections:
1.the conversion of which is US$3.78 to one Bahrain Dinar. Not $2.67.
2.The victory over the North Koreans is 2-1. not 3-2

However Bahraini fans was not happy with our team performance in the qualifying matches coz we knew that our players was capable to qualify directly with out going to the complexity of the Playoffs.

But in the last two matches against the uzbect's  the players had proven that they are still capable of playing much more better matches as their performance curve is going up.

Forgive my poor English
  ur Brother From Bahrain       

1]; } ?>