April 27, 2024, 06:24:55 AM

Author Topic: Baptiste set for Tampa Bay deal  (Read 3483 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Baptiste set for Tampa Bay deal
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:37:59 AM »
Baptiste set for Tampa Bay deal.
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian).

Soca Warriors striker, Kerry Baptiste is set to sign a one-year deal with North American Soccer League club, Tampa Bay FC. This was disclosed by the former San Juan Jabloteh and bmobile Joe Public striker in a telephone interview yesterday.

The 29-year-old Baptiste who is out of contract after ending a four-year trophy-filled stint with Joe Public is expected to put pen to paper within the next few days on the deal which will see him re-uniting with his former coach at Jabloteh, Englishman Ricky Hill.

Baptiste was offered the deal by Hill, after he had an unsuccessful two-week trial with US Major League Soccer club, Seattle Saunders earlier this month.

Speaking via telephone, Baptiste who netted more than a 100 goals during his time at Joe Public, including a historic 50 in their five-title winning season said he was looking forward to the challenge.

“My agent, American, Andre Fortune is taking care of all the paperwork for me. I have seen it already and its a great deal for me and my family,” said Baptiste.

He added, “It’s a new challenge for me and I am hoping to take the opportunity with both hands and use it as a launching pad for my career overseas.

“I have been involved in the T&T Pro League for a very long time now with Jabloteh and Joe Public and now I will be able to test my ability against new opposition on a regular basis.

“I also see this as a chance to gain the attention of their clubs, possibly from the MLS and elsewhere, added Baptiste who will be moving abroad with his wife Renee Mark and son, Kerry Baptiste Jr.

At Tampa, Baptiste will be reunited with Hill who while in charge of Jabloteh led the club to the T&T Professional Football League, the First Citizen Cup and the Caribbean Club Championship crown.

Jabloteh also represented the Caribbean in the Concacaf Champions League in 2003, when Hill was awarded Coach of the Year in the Pro League.

Hill represented England several times on the national youth teams and the U-21 team, as well as earning three caps with the senior squad between 1982 and 1986, including the 1982 European Championship Qualifiers.

The other teams that will compete in the NASL are the Atlanta Silverbacks, Carolina Railhawks, Edmonton, Fort Lauderdale, NSC Minnesota Stars, Montral Impact and Puerto Rico Islanders.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:18:48 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Baptiste set for Tampa Bay deal
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:18:06 AM »
Launch his career overseas?  At 29??  ???

I wish him well.

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:49:42 AM »
29 is late but better late than never.

he deserves it and should have got this chance a yr. ago.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »
I've a good vibe off him .. he'll do well ... plus he is still very, very quick!

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 06:22:28 PM »
Imagine one of our best players cannot get an MLS deal,why dont our footballers try for contracts in Sweden,Denmark and Norway like the Jamaicans do,f**k de MLS AND ALL DEM POMPOUS SO AND SO.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 10:08:00 AM »
Relax people. I like when good things happen to good players. Baptiste is just a true warrior and examplar player. Congrats Kerry. Nice to see yuh have the bigger agenda in place. Wifee, children. Nice set up for them to be all happy. Good weather to keep fit. Good coach who dun rate you up for you to hit the ground running instantly. {Probably good contract negotiated. Good access to T&T when Coach Pfister and assistant coach Latas call for qualifiers ;D

When yuh see life from a glass half full ( ...... and not half empty) dis is great news ... and I mean it.
Go Baps!!!!!

:beermug:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »
Well obviously this deal didn't happen. Some kinda scene must be play off.

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 10:37:30 AM »
The club read comments on the forum

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 10:47:56 AM »
The club read comments on the forum

::)
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 05:27:47 PM »
Wait wait, wha' Baps doing in trut' ?  Men moving real secret dese days if Tallman, Flex eh know what goin' orn wit de breds. I say watch good,... he go make he move with an American team or with a T&T team about to play Concacaf championship.  :beermug:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 05:35:11 PM »
Wait wait, wha' Baps doing in trut' ?  Men moving real secret dese days if Tallman, Flex eh know what goin' orn wit de breds. I say watch good,... he go make he move with an American team or with a T&T team about to play Concacaf championship.  :beermug:

He is currently on trial with Chivas USA.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »

He is currently on trial with Chivas USA.
He definitely good enough to make dem teams. The problem is his age and he taking up one ah dem international spots that could go to ah hispanic who might help with attendance.

Very good player though. Good luck to him  :beermug:

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 09:20:58 PM »
Niceness  ;D
Go Baps. Ah knew yuh eh makin' joke.
.... and to the Chivas scouts stalkin' this website ... sign him now!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FC Tampa Bay signs forward Baptiste
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 02:45:47 PM »
FC Tampa Bay signs forward Baptiste
fctampabay.com

Prior to the opening of the international transfer window on July 15, FC Tampa Bay has made two roster moves. FC Tampa Bay today announced that it has signed forward Kerry Baptiste, pending league approval. In addition, the club has bought out the contract of defender Omar Jarun and he is no longer a member of FC Tampa Bay.

Baptiste, who most recently played for San Juan Jabloteh and Joe Public, will be reunited with his former coach at Jabloteh, current FC Tampa Bay head coach Ricky Hill.

“Kerry is a proven international player who can play a variety of positions from midfield to forward," said Hill. "He possesses a high level of football knowledge and is a very technical player.”

Baptiste, 29, scored more than 100 goals during four seasons with Joe Public and was named Trinidad & Tobago Professional Football League Player of the Year in 2009. He was part of the 2008-09 and 2010-11 Joe Public teams that participated in the CONCACAF Champions League. Baptiste also played for the T&T National Under-20 and Under-23 teams.

“This team has a solid core group of players, and now I believe we’ve addressed two key areas for the team’s playoff run,” said President/Owner Andrew Nestor. “We’ve added a strong defender in Kwame Watson-Siriboe to play alongside Andres Arango in the middle of the pitch, and now a proven goal scorer in Kerry Baptiste, who will add depth to an already strong attack.”

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 04:11:42 PM »
Relax people. I like when good things happen to good players. Baptiste is just a true warrior and examplar player. Congrats Kerry. Nice to see yuh have the bigger agenda in place. Wifee, children. Nice set up for them to be all happy. Good weather to keep fit. Good coach who dun rate you up for you to hit the ground running instantly. {Probably good contract negotiated. Good access to T&T when Coach Pfister and assistant coach Latas call for qualifiers ;D

When yuh see life from a glass half full ( ...... and not half empty) dis is great news ... and I mean it.
Go Baps!!!!!

:beermug:

So nice to hear...finalllllly...he rellly deserving of ah bligh! Big upp man! :beermug:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:00:03 PM by Tallman »
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »
Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am a happy happy man. Happy like Pappy.
Trinidad's most disciplined, hardest working, most deserving baller, who will be on my T&T team with a guaranteed spot,  .. any day.

Kerry. Go brave. Do yuh ting and lick up dat league and enjoy Tampa with yuh family. Put food on de table and tell Jackula and those in de past to scrunt.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 07:57:06 PM »
Bull them hard Kerry...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 08:25:09 PM »
 :beermug: EXCELLENT NEWSSSSSSSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 02:26:10 AM »
:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 04:30:27 AM »
Baptiste happy to be back in the fray.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Striker Kerry Baptiste has finally landed a professional contract overseas after being without a club for several months.

Baptiste will join American League two club. pending league approval.  In addition, the club has bought out the contract of defender Omar Jarun and he is no longer a member of FC Tampa Bay.

Baptiste will be reunited with his former coach at Jabloteh, current FC Tampa Bay head coach Ricky Hill

"I'm really happy to have this opportunity now. It's been a while now I have been without a club but I remained patient and this deal has finally come through.

I'm really looking forward to playing again and hopefully help the club achieve big things in the League," Baptiste said.

“Kerry is a proven international player who can play a variety of positions from midfield to forward," said Hill. "He possesses a high level of football knowledge and is a very technical player.”

Baptiste, 29, scored more than 100 goals during four seasons with Joe Public and was named Trinidad & Tobago Professional Football League Player of the Year in 2009.

He was part of the 2008-09 and 2010-11 Joe Public teams that participated in the CONCACAF Champions League. Baptiste also played for the T&T National Under-20 and Under-23 teams.

“This team has a solid core group of players, and now I believe we’ve addressed two key areas for the team’s playoff run,” said President/Owner Andrew Nestor.

“We’ve added a strong defender in Kwame Watson-Siriboe to play alongside Andres Arango in the middle of the pitch, and now a proven goal scorer in Kerry Baptiste, who will add depth to an already strong attack.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2011, 05:23:56 AM »
Serious question: In every article i've read related to this story, everything is final pending league approval. What de league have to approve so? Is not as if he playing in Serie A or de Premiership  ???

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2011, 07:35:04 AM »
I like this guy but I worry about his stamina

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 03:34:53 PM »
Let's go Baps. Kerry you is de man.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
Baptiste has goals on his mind.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Former Joe Public striker Kerry Baptiste will most likely be presented with several new pairs of football boots when he arrives at Tampa Bay later this month to begin his new contract but he is not likely to part ways with his usual favourites as he seeks to continue his hot scoring streak that made him one of the most feared strikers in the T&T Pro League.

Baptiste is awaiting work permit approval before moving to Tampa Bay where he signed a one-year contract with an option to extend another year.

“I’m excited about this new move and I’m looking forward to go up there and work very hard and hopefully bang in some more goals,” Baptiste said on Tuesday.

He’s been without a club for much of 2011, admitting that he became a bit frustrated at times. But he’s focused on the task at hand, also hoping to catch Otto Pfister’s eyes.

“It’s been a little frustrating without a club but I kept myself fit with some personal training. It’s my first time going to the club and I’m anxious to see what the environment is like in Tampa.

“I’m looking forward to getting back into the national team. As a country I think we will eventually bounce back and become a force in the region.

I’m really anxious to get the ball in the back of the net again both for my new club and for country,” added the ex-Adam’s Construction San Juan Jabloteh player.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2011, 06:47:14 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DwSc8F1QPGg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DwSc8F1QPGg</a>

1]; } ?>