April 19, 2024, 09:07:44 AM

Author Topic: Manchester City Thread- Blue Moon has risen!  (Read 17635 times)

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester City Thread- Blue Moon has risen!
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2012, 09:55:14 AM »
People criticize Man City for buying a championship, but when yuh check their roster player for player, it eh no extraordinary roster - it's just a collection of above-average to very good players with some ordinary ones sprinkled in too...

Study their star players - Silva real talented but he still lives in the shadow of Spain's top midfielders, Valencia, Nasri unfulflied potential at Arsenal, Balotelli hot and cold - never really exploded, Aguero was a big fish in a relatively small pond - not fully proven, Dzeko - same thing...and the list goes on... Yaya Toure to me was the only fully proven big player they picked up IMO

Dat is shit talk plain and simple!!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:29 PM »
Disagree with this, you kinda downplaying the talent that City have at their disposal...

The squad is excellent. Apart from Toure Aguero is a player head and shoulders above the rest of the league. I think he underachieved this year as he was settling in. The ease with which he score two and set up one on his debut is what I expect to see more often next season. Even with the adjustment to the league he still score 20+ goals, which is rare for a new player to the league and Aguero real throwaway this year.

A couple years ago a Spanish journalist was talking about players who could reach Messi and Ronaldo level of performance (back when they was only scoring 30-40 goals a season) and his answer was Aguero. He is only 24 and he has the skills to do what RVP did this season, and more. A goal a game season is more than possible for Aguero.

Then I would add Silva. The closest thing to a classic playmaker of the 80’s like Platini. Is just that football change now that all these players end up creating from wider positions because teams want to shore up the middle. Add Kompany and Hart and the starting 11 have a lot going for it.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2012, 12:23:50 PM »
People criticize Man City for buying a championship, but when yuh check their roster player for player, it eh no extraordinary roster - it's just a collection of above-average to very good players with some ordinary ones sprinkled in too...

Study their star players - Silva real talented but he still lives in the shadow of Spain's top midfielders, Valencia, Nasri unfulflied potential at Arsenal, Balotelli hot and cold - never really exploded, Aguero was a big fish in a relatively small pond - not fully proven, Dzeko - same thing...and the list goes on... Yaya Toure to me was the only fully proven big player they picked up IMO

Silva was one of the two best players at Valencia and a starter for Spain alongside, not behind all the other big stars.  The best clubs in Europe tried to get him, Inter, Real Madrid, Chelsea, Man U and City. 

To me Nasri is playing the same as at Arsenal.  Maybe the occasions of his goals have had a more dramatic impact this season.

Balotelli was competing with Eto'o and Milito as a teenager at one of the top 3 clubs in Europe at the time.

Aguero was unproven?  He was proven in La Liga.

Dzeko was the top scorer in Germany at some point and won the league the season before that.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »
Nah I not downplaying them...I not saying that they don't have very good side - that's obvious come on -I just doh find their line up to be no kinda galacticos line up worthy of the kinda talk they does get  - the difference is that they went from zero to hero real fast, but it have plenty men who feature significantly in their season run who just good...but ain't no-where near superstars

Lescott
Zabaletta
Kolarov
Richards
Barry
Milner
Clichy
...and more

Even DeJong, Balotelli, Nasri for e.g. - dem real good but if Madrid, Barca, Man U, Bayern, Milan picked them up they wouldn't be considered star signings...

Kompany their player of the season was not a star signing....that is return on investment

Aguero, Silva and Toure are the closest thing to blockbuster signings and of them, only Toure was poached off of a big side that was winning ting....
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:43:51 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 16, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
Aguero was unproven?  He was proven in La Liga.

You are right - I take that back - my bad,

.....and doh get me wrong Dzeko is real tears, and he killed it in the Bundes....but as far as headliner signings go, he was under the radar.

For me Man City was money well spent, and a fair amount of role players and shrewd buys were able put in a good shift...wasn't no Dwayne Wade, Lebron scene trying to buy a championship IMO. 
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:43:16 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Vincent Kompany
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2013, 11:03:42 AM »
Vincent Kompany is a f00cking animal. De man to me is one of de best defenders in de world.

Agüero, Zabaleta, Negredo, Nasri and Navas is top players to.

Yaya Touré though is just top class.

I so happy Manchester United get wood today, they waste they money on Fellaini, good player just not for a top team. Kagawa, Rafael, Hernandez, Nani and Anderson should get more runs.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 11:06:53 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
Re: Vincent Kompany
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2013, 11:06:10 AM »
Good win city, we deserved that ass wash. Moyes was a goat tonight, go buy the rest of Everton now!!

I am also skeptical of Moyes, but we have to give him time to adapt. It was a bad game overall, but the season is still early and some inconsistent play should be expected.

not in the damn Derby!! Do that with some other team. We have not beaten any of the top teams yet!

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »
David Moyes is in an unenviable position. It was always going to be difficult making the transition from Everton to a club with the history and level of media scrutiny such as Manchester United. Of course, there is the additional fact that he is going to struggle to come out of Alex Ferguson's shadow.

I hope the United fans give him time to adjust.

This will be an issue going forward because being a director, Fergie will always have some influence over the team. Moyes also admitted that he often goes into Fergie's office and gets advice. As much this sounds admirable at some point you have to start your own legacy without interference.
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2013, 11:44:35 AM »
Moyes=automatic scapegoat. No matter how big ManU players play...is Moyes fault, he didn't wind them up properly. Like Fergie team never get cutlass too.

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2013, 11:51:45 AM »
Moyes=automatic scapegoat. No matter how big ManU players play...is Moyes fault, he didn't wind them up properly. Like Fergie team never get cutlass too.

i was thinking the same.
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2013, 11:57:05 AM »
You all could swing Moyes nuts if you all want too. That was a garbage line up, and changes was not made to fix it. I cuss Fergie too and Moyes is no different. Fellaini was YAYA bitch today

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2013, 02:20:32 PM »
As I've always said Moyes is an average coach at that level and he has proven so today. Just as when he was with Everton he is bereft of ideas and is surrounded by guys with the tactical capabilities of gnats in a box.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2013, 02:39:21 PM »
Look like Everton made the better transfer market moves.

BT Sport just said that Di Canio has gotten the sack.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2013, 02:45:23 PM »
For the most part, I reserve judgment on Moyes, but part of the assessment turns on how Fellaini's tactical role is interpreted.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »
You all could swing Moyes nuts if you all want too. That was a garbage line up, and changes was not made to fix it. I cuss Fergie too and Moyes is no different. Fellaini was YAYA bitch today
but how come lately, you on ppl swinging on ppl nuts so..that not like you...anyway, let's be clear , nobody doh swing on nobody nuts..nor breast, nor any type of hair... And I doh really care to know who you like neither,If yuh doh wha have a avg competitive discussion, just say so...I doh really care that much for this league , other than some of my  countrymen playing there, is all..the rest is just to socialize with ppl here.. Not getting into no gutter talk to sound cool

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »
Is one man's fault...Ashley Young, as I see him in the starting lineup I steups.

I just want Young to stop ripping in practice so Moyes doh pick him and we'll be allright.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2013, 06:27:41 PM »
but how come lately, you on ppl swinging on ppl nuts so..that not like you...anyway, let's be clear , nobody doh swing on nobody nuts..nor breast, nor any type of hair... And I doh really care to know who you like neither,If yuh doh wha have a avg competitive discussion, just say so...I doh really care that much for this league , other than some of my  countrymen playing there, is all..the rest is just to socialize with ppl here.. Not getting into no gutter talk to sound cool
Don't take it personal, my comments were not directed at you in particular. I have not been a supporter of Moyes and Fellaini coming to Man.United from the start. I made it clear that I was against it, while admitting for the sake of this team it works and I'll be the first to eat my words.

With that said, every time I say something negative about either individual, I become a villain. So my comments was for anyone who don't want to respect my opinion and think I should be able to disagree with Moyes tactics and player selection without people jumping on me for it. If I think he was wrong, I'll say so, if someone think he is our new savior, then that's their opinion. :beermug:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2013, 06:42:59 PM »
Don't take it personal, my comments were not directed at you in particular. I have not been a supporter of Moyes and Fellaini coming to Man.United from the start. I made it clear that I was against it, while admitting for the sake of this team it works and I'll be the first to eat my words.

With that said, every time I say something negative about either individual, I become a villain. So my comments was for anyone who don't want to respect my opinion and think I should be able to disagree with Moyes tactics and player selection without people jumping on me for it. If I think he was wrong, I'll say so, if someone think he is our new savior, then that's their opinion. :beermug:

I not here to defend Moyes... but could it be that the team just isn't that good?  How come is all Moyes fault?  As I tell allyuh earlier... is no coincidence that Ferguson all of a sudden decide to retire with the legend of his genius still intact.

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2013, 09:46:33 PM »
why the hell didnt Moyes stick with the line up against Bayern?? he could have put Hernandez up front with Rooney since RVP injured  :banginghead: :banginghead:  :cursing: :cursing:

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »

I not here to defend Moyes... but could it be that the team just isn't that good?  How come is all Moyes fault?  As I tell allyuh earlier... is no coincidence that Ferguson all of a sudden decide to retire with the legend of his genius still intact.

With Van Persie injured this MANU outfit struggled. Rooney had too much to do.
The other thing is where he had Felliani picking up from , in my opinion he should always play a little deeper in the back and not just behind the attack.
Apart from that I can't fault Moyes after all he is still tonian
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2020, 01:21:46 PM »
Manchester City to appeal 2-year UEFA competition ban for FFP violations
By Rob Dawson
Correspondent

Manchester City will appeal UEFA's decision to ban the club for two seasons from European competition -- including the Champions League -- after the governing body found them guilty of breaching financial fair play rules.

UEFA has announced on Friday that the reigning Premier League champions will be excluded from the Champions League for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 campaigns and have also been fined €30 million for "overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts" and failing "to cooperate in the investigation," according to findings by the UEFA Adjudicatory Chamber.

In response, City said they were "disappointed but not surprised" by the ruling and gave notice of their intention to lodge an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

A UEFA statement issued on Friday night that partly read: "The Adjudicatory Chamber, having considered all the evidence, has found that Manchester City Football Club committed serious breaches of the UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations by overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to UEFA between 2012 and 2016.

"The Adjudicatory Chamber has also found that in breach of the regulations the Club failed to cooperate in the investigation of this case by the CFCB.

"The Adjudicatory Chamber has imposed disciplinary measures on Manchester City Football Club directing that it shall be excluded from participation in UEFA club competitions in the next two seasons (ie. the 2020/21 and 2021/22 seasons) and pay a fine of €30 million."

City, who face Real Madrid in the last-16 of this season's competition, issued their own statement shortly afterward to declare their anger at how the case has been handled by Europe's governing body.

"Manchester City is disappointed but not surprised by today's announcement by the UEFA Adjudicatory Chamber.

"The club has always anticipated the ultimate need to seek out an independent body and process to impartially consider the comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence in support of its position.

"In December 2018, the UEFA Chief Investigator publicly previewed the outcome and sanction he intended to be delivered to Manchester City, before any investigation had even begun. The subsequent flawed and consistently leaked UEFA process he oversaw has meant that there was little doubt in the result that he would deliver.

"The club has formally complained to the UEFA Disciplinary body, a complaint which was validated by a CAS ruling.

"Simply put, this is a case initiated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA and judged by UEFA. With this prejudicial process now over, the club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity."

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2020, 03:03:45 PM »
Isn't this the same violation that Chelsea had?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2020, 04:25:16 PM »
Isn't this the same violation that Chelsea had?

No, Chelsea got banned for selling under age players.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2020, 05:22:13 PM »
What Manchester City's UEFA competition ban means and what might happen next
Gabriele Marcotti
Senior Writer, ESPN FC

The independent Adjudicatory Chamber of UEFA's Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) has decided to ban Manchester City from UEFA competition for two seasons while hitting them with a €30 million ($32.5m) fine. The club were found to have committed "serious breaches" of Financial Fair Play (FFP) while submitting inaccurate information to UEFA between 2012 and 2016. They were also found to have "failed to cooperate" with the investigation.

Q: So what does this mean? That Manchester City won't be playing Real Madrid in the Champions League in 10 days' time?

A: No. The earliest that the ban could be enforced is from next season, which would mean they miss out on 2020-21 and 2021-22. So City can still win the Champions League this season, but there's a lot that needs to happen first.

Q: Like what?

A: City have already said they will appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport (CAS) in Lausanne. Based on FFP regulations, a CAS decision is the final word on the subject. They have the power to confirm the ban, reduce it or send it back to the CFCB.

They'll need to examine all the material and come up with a verdict pretty quickly, most likely by early July, because that's when the Europa League second qualifying round is and a possible City exclusion impacts other clubs. But, it might not end with CAS.

Q: How so?

A: City could take this out of a sporting court and into a civil court. The Swiss Supreme Court would presumably have jurisdiction over UEFA. The club believe the investigation was "flawed" and that UEFA were out to get them from the start, acting as judge, jury and executioner.

Leaving sporting justice behind and moving into the "real world" is nearly unprecedented, and it would open a massive can of worms, as well as likely delaying everything. Theoretically, a Swiss court could force UEFA to reinstate City while they adjudicate the case.

Q: Were City treated unfairly?

A: I think it's impossible to tell from the outside, and if you're on the inside, you're likely to be biased one way or the other. So that's for the courts to decide. I don't think City's issue is so much with the Adjudicatory Chamber of the CFCB, though. Their five members are mostly very senior judges who come from outside the world of football, some of them sit on the European Court of Justice, too. They simply adjudicate based on the evidence presented. They're not UEFA employees, they're independent judges who come in and issue a ruling.

City's issue is with the Investigatory Chamber, who act as prosecutors at the hearing. They're the ones who collect the evidence and frame it for the court. City already brought a case to CAS, arguing the Investigatory Chamber was responsible for leaking information to the media. That one was turned down (if you like reading legal documents, knock yourself out) but it offers a good measure of the acrimony between the club and the CFCB.

Q: Why are City being punished now if these breaches occurred years ago? Weren't they already punished for this in 2014?

A: Yeah, but that was before Football Leaks in 2018. The publication of private documents and emails by the German newsmagazine Der Spiegel effectively reopened the case. They appeared to show that City effectively cooked the books by overstating income from "related parties" and engaged in various shenanigans to hide costs. Those documents were almost certainly hacked, and City haven't taken a view on whether or not they're authentic, but it was enough for UEFA to reopen the investigation. Effectively UEFA asked for more evidence to back up the information City submitted in light of what was suggested in the documents. Also, some of the documents relate to 2015 and 2016 and those were years in which City were not sanctioned by FFP.

Q: Is that why the punishment is so harsh?

A: We won't know until we get the written reasons, but just judging from the statement put out by the CFCB, it would appear that way. The CFCB claims City cooked the books and failed to cooperate when questioned about it. And if the books were cooked, well, they may have breached in subsequent seasons too.

Q: Could City just go to court and argue this whole Financial Fair Play nonsense is illegal and an example of restraint of trade?

A: They could certainly try, but even if they win, it would raise the question of why they went along with it for nearly a decade. And ultimately, UEFA's defence -- "this is our competition, these are our rules, if you want to play in it you need to respect them" -- is pretty strong. Nobody is forcing City to compete in the Champions League.

Q: OK, so if City are banned, what is the fallout going to be?

A: Well, for starters, the team finishing fifth in this year's Premier League will get a spot in the Champions League (assuming City finish in the top four). Right now, that team is Sheffield United, which would be quite the story.

Beyond that, it is going to be a mighty financial blow to the club. Apart from the €30m ($32.5m) fine, they'll be without Champions League revenue for two seasons. That always depends on how far they advance, of course, but considering they made €93m ($100m) last season and prize money has gone up, you'd imagine it will be around $200m or more. Throw in the loss of gate receipts and reduced exposure hurting sponsorship deals (some contracts automatically get reduced if you don't qualify for the Champions League) and the total could easily be north of $300m. That's more than 25 percent of what the club's likely revenue is going to be across those two seasons.

Q: Ouch!

A: Ouch, indeed. But it doesn't end there. If you're making 25 percent less money, you will need to cut costs accordingly. And that might mean sacrificing some players. Then there's the evident fact that some players may wish to move because they don't want to go two years without Champions League football. That applies to the manager, Pep Guardiola, as well. He talked only this week about how badly he wants to win his third Champions League.

Q: What about this story that City could be in trouble with the Premier League, too?

A: Theoretically, that's a risk too. The Premier League has a licensing system that is predicated upon submitting genuine accounts. While the Premier League doesn't have the same FFP rules as UEFA, accounts are accounts. If those submitted to UEFA are deemed to be fraudulent and City sent the same ones to the Premier League, then they could be in trouble there too. I doubt they'd get expelled, but could face a hefty fine and maybe a points penalty.

Q: I've read some pretty dramatic stuff about how if UEFA hadn't been so hard on City it would have undermined their credibility and likely spelled the end of FFP.

A: Yeah, I think that's a bit over the top. As I said, City weren't just sentenced for breaching FFP, they were sentenced for misstating their accounts, cooking the books and not cooperating. Those aren't FFP violations, that's accounting fraud. It goes way beyond what we've seen so far.

I don't see how they had a choice.

Conversely, if CAS upholds City's argument, that they acted in good faith all along and that UEFA were exercising some kind of biased vendetta against them (perhaps at the prompting of some of City's rivals) and their accounts are true and fine and on the level, then, yes, FFP is in serious trouble. At least in its current form.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2020, 05:23:55 PM »
Source: Pep Guardiola worried for Manchester City players after UEFA ban
Rodrigo Faez
Madrid correspondent

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is worried how the club's two-year Champions League ban will affect his players but he wants to remain at the club "as long as he is happy," a source has told ESPN.

UEFA announced on Friday that the reigning Premier League champions will be excluded from European competition for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 campaigns and have also been fined €30 million ($33 million) for "overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts" and failing "to cooperate in the investigation," according to findings by the UEFA Adjudicatory Chamber.

In response, City said they were "disappointed but not surprised" by the ruling and gave notice of their intention to lodge an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Sources close to Guardiola told ESPN that the Spaniard knew the club would be informed of the ban on Friday morning but that he remains calm as the club prepares its appeal.

Nonetheless, Guardiola understands why some players would want to leave should they face the prospect of not playing in European competition, according to the source.

UEFA stated that the club "committed serious breaches of the UEFA Club Licensing and Financial Fair Play Regulations by overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to UEFA between 2012 and 2016."

Guardiola is said to be calm over his status since that timeframe was before his arrival to the club in 2016, the source said.

The club -- owned by the state-backed Abu Dhabi United Group -- is expected to meet to see what decisions, if any, the board will take on CEO Ferran Soriano and sporting director Txiki Begiristain. While his future is not linked to Soriano or Begiristain, Guardiola wants to be informed on every step taken.

Guardiola's and Begiristain's relationship extends from their time at Barcelona, where Guardiola coached from 2008-12.

City, who face Real Madrid in the last-16 of this season's competition, issued their own statement shortly afterward to declare their anger at how the case has been handled by Europe's governing body.

"Simply put, this is a case initiated by UEFA, prosecuted by UEFA and judged by UEFA. With this prejudicial process now over, the club will pursue an impartial judgment as quickly as possible and will therefore, in the first instance, commence proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity," the club said in a statement.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »
Emma Saunders, former Manchester City midfielder Michael Brown, ex Wolves winger Michael Kightly, Senior Football Reporter Ian Dennis & Football Reporter for BBC Sport Simon Stone discuss the news that Manchester City have been banned from European club competition for the next two seasons after being found to have committed "serious breaches" of UEFA's club licensing and financial fair play regulations.

They look at the future of City’s players and if this could spell the end of Pep Guardiola’s reign at the club.

Listen here.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 08:18:51 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2020, 06:18:41 AM »
With 5th place offering better goodies,  I'm anticipating the emergence of Mourinho the bloodhound. Of the remaining matches this round,  three are particularly significant in the assault on the table (Arsenal v Castle, Spurs v Villa and Chelsea v Man Utd). Of course it could be slightly intriguing should City lose to West Ham - given the implications that would have for Brighton, Bournemouth, likely Villa and definitely  City's dressing room.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2020, 12:26:15 PM »
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp on Manchester City ban: 'Complete wow!'
Reuters

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said he had sympathy for his Manchester City counterpart Pep Guardiola in the wake of the English champions' two-year ban from European football dished out by UEFA for allegedly breaching Financial Fair Play rules.

With City's domestic title challenge all but over -- Liverpool 25 points ahead after beating Norwich City 1-0 away on Saturday -- Klopp said the news on Friday about the European ban for the Manchester club had taken him by surprise.

"It was a shock. Complete wow!" he told Sky Sports after the match. "The only thing I can say is about football. What they have done on the football pitch is exceptional. The rest, I don't know.

"I really feel for them, Pep and the players, but that is how it is. They can appeal so we will see what happens then. It is obviously serious.

"But the football they played was exceptional and will always be exceptional."

European soccer's governing body UEFA said City had committed "serious breaches" of its FFP regulations by "overstating its sponsorship revenue in its accounts and in the break-even information submitted to UEFA between 2012 and 2016."

City denied any wrongdoing and said they will appeal to the Swiss-based Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

When asked about his own team's success on Saturday, Klopp could only call it "insane."

Liverpool need 15 more points to wrap-up the Premier League trophy and the only question is when, not if, Liverpool will be crowned as English champions for the first time in 30 years.

"It's so insane I don't understand it," Klopp said. "I'm not smart enough, it's difficult. Never had that before and I've no clue how it happened really. It's just we are focused on what we are doing and it feels really good.

"It's outstanding. It's so difficult. You go in after the game and analyse the game and then say, 'Oh yeah, yeah, we won the game congratulations.' It's outstanding. You count the points and it's three more. It's unbelievable."

Klopp's side were not at their clinical best against a battling Norwich side who held out for almost 80 minutes before substitute Sadio Mane drilled home a late winner.

"Fabinho coming on was very important for the organisation. Sadio was fresh and he helped us to win the game, which was outstanding. I have to watch the goal back but I'm pretty sure it was a fantastic finish," added Klopp.

"I could tell in all the players faces that they weren't nervous, they were enjoying it, and if one team was going to score it was going to be us."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2020, 12:04:35 PM »
Arsene Wenger: Manchester City should have respected the rules
By Mark Staniforth, PA, Berlin
PA Media: Sport

Arsene Wenger has no sympathy for Manchester City after the club were banned from European competition for two seasons having been found to have breached financial fair play rules.

The former Arsenal boss, who is credited with coining the phrase “financial doping”, insists City’s punishment – which also includes a £25million fine – is necessary to uphold the spirit of the game.

Speaking at the Laureus Sports Awards in Berlin, Wenger said: “The rules are what they are and you have to respect them.

“People who are caught trying to get around the rules in more or less legal ways have to be punished, if it is proven that this has been done on purpose.

“I think sport is basically to win by respecting the rules – we celebrate the best in every sport and we want to know that they respect the rules.

“If there is no respect for the rules it is not real sport. If you go into a competition it is a sign that you respect the rules.”

City stated on Friday evening that they were “disappointed but not surprised” by the decision from the adjudicatory chamber of the Club Financial Control Body.

They described the process as “flawed and consistently leaked” and said they would commence appeal proceedings with the Court of Arbitration for Sport at the earliest opportunity.

The future of City’s manager Pep Guardiola has been the subject of speculation since the news of the ban broke, and he will not appear before the media on Tuesday to preview the match against West Ham.

The game, originally due to have been played on February 9, was postponed because of Storm Ciara and because the rearranged date comes within the same match round, there is no need for either club to hold a second preview press conference.

It has been reported that Guardiola has told friends he intends to stay at City despite the announcement of the two-year ban.

Wenger’s long reign at Arsenal coincided with City’s emergence as a global superpower, and led to a procession of stars including Emmanuel Adebayor, Gael Clichy and Samir Nasri swapping the Emirates Stadium for the Etihad.

But Wenger would not be drawn on the suggestion that City should be punished further by being stripped of the silverware they earned during the period in question.

He added: “I don’t know the rule well enough to know what kind of punishment has to be made. But this is the sanction that is planned if the clubs don’t respect the rule.”

City have already vowed to launch an appeal to the court of arbitration for sport, alleging that the process was “prejudicial”.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2020, 07:40:00 AM »
Pep Guardiola: Manchester City haven't broken rules, I've seen proof
By Rob Dawson (ESPN).

MADRID -- Pep Guardiola says he has been shown proof Manchester City are innocent of the financial irregularities that has seen the club hit with a European ban.

City, who face Real Madrid in the last-16 of the Champions League on Wednesday, have been handed a two-year suspension after being found guilty of breaching Financial Fair Play regulations by UEFA.

The club, who intend to appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport, have often cited "irrefutable evidence" that they have not violated FFP regulations, and speaking at the Santiago Bernabeu on Tuesday evening, Guardiola revealed he has been given a run down of the case by City chiefs.

"We were under suspicion for a long time, we have the right to appeal and I trust the people in my club," said Guardiola. "They explain the reasons, they showed me the arguments and the proofs. We are optimistic that finally if we deserve to be in the Champions League we can do it next season, if finally it doesn't happen we have to accept and move forward.

"My trust is with the club. I know them. We are going to see what happens with CAS."

Guardiola, who has won the Champions League twice while in charge at Barcelona but has never been beyond the quarterfinals with City, insists his players should not need a potential ban as extra motivation as they attempt to progress at the expense of the Zinedine Zidane's 13-times winners.

David Silva said the squad's focus was only the game rather than the implications of a possible suspension, but with his time at the Etihad Stadium coming to an end in the summer, the 34-year-old admitted the Champions League is a trophy he is still desperate to win.

"We want to win the competition and we didn't win it," said Silva, "I want to win Champions League. Having the second leg at home is better because we are with our fans. In order to [to go back with a chance of progressing] we need to have a good match and a good result [here]."

Guardiola has been boosted ahead of the first leg against Real Madrid, who have won just one of their last four games, by the return of Raheem Sterling. The winger has missed the last two games with a hamstring injury but is ready to start against the Spanish giants.

"He's fit," said Guardiola. "His natural condition, his a regeneration is amazing. He said to us he could have played against West Ham and Leicester but the doctor said be careful. He's fit, he's ready."

Manchester City have formally lodged their appeal against UEFA's two-season ban from the Champions League to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

City said they were "disappointed but not surprised" by the ruling and have now formally lodged their appeal to CAS, the highest court in sport, who said: "It is not possible to indicate at this time when a final award in this matter will be issued."

City face Real Madrid in the Champions League round-of-16 first leg on Wednesday, their first match in the competition since the ban was announced.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 07:42:25 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>