April 26, 2024, 07:39:50 AM

Author Topic: Cyrus, Juma Clarence join Caledonia  (Read 3211 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cyrus, Juma Clarence join Caledonia
« on: March 04, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

"Daniel Cyrus is back in the side and a major boost to us," Caledonia AIA head coach Jamaal Shabazz said mere days before his team departs on Ash Wednesday for St Lucia to take on Newtown United in a Caribbean Club Championship first round match.

Caledonia AIA have qualified for the Caribbean series for the first time by virtue of a second-placed finish in the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League, their best-ever showing.

Cyrus, 20, is one a season-long loan to Caledonia from another local club, FC 1st Santa Rosa, and has only just returned from the United States where he was on trial with the Sporting Kansas City (Wizards). Yesterday 1st Santa Rosa's coach Keith Look Loy confirmed that Cyrus had a successful trial.

"The trial was successful," Look Loy declared. "But the offer from the club was not accepted. They liked the player very much and agreed that he could be a big asset to them this season, but the numbers (were not) adding up. So, he has returned and will be with Caledonia for the CFU qualifiers."

Cyrus represented T&T at the 2007 FIFA Under-17 and 2009 FIFA Under-20 World Cups and has grown into a steady defensive force for AIA this season. He received rave reviews from Kansas City head coach Peter Vermes, who reported on their website that he had improved with every session.

Shabazz told the Express that also joining Caledonia AIA was striker Juma Clarence, who scored in T&T's narrow 2-1 defeat to Italy at the 2009 FIFA Under-20 World Cup. Clarence has played in Turkey since impressing at the FIFA competition. Shabazz revealed that it will cost Caledonia AIA over $100,000 just to go to St Kitts-Nevis for the first leg tie. They have prepared for Newtown United with warm-up victories over the National Under-20 squad (4-2) and the National Under-23 squad (3-1) and will also play Defence Force on Carnival Sunday.

"The effort of two sponsors, Neal & Massy and the National Lotteries Control Board (NLCB), have greatly assisted us," Shabazz said. "So far the preparation has been good. The guys have committed themselves despite the Carnival season, but they have still been able to take a little wine to the side."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cyrus, Juma Clarence join Caledonia
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 12:48:58 AM »
Damn....but didnt MLS raise their minimum pay package? I doubt there is any way me will be making more in the PFL...maybe Look Loy wants more money?

Anyway...these guys just need 2 have a good 2 years in the PFL and national setup and get another chance somewhere..

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 05:03:59 AM »
Damn....but didnt MLS raise their minimum pay package? I doubt there is any way me will be making more in the PFL...maybe Look Loy wants more money?

Anyway...these guys just need 2 have a good 2 years in the PFL and national setup and get another chance somewhere..

Starting salary in the MLS for a guy like him would be somewhere around US$30K per year. Small money, but for a guy who is only what around 20 years old, I assume with no kids and no wife, no mortgage, that 35K is more than enough for him to live on for the first couple seasons while he makes his name. Just rent a small studio apt for about $800 per month and drive a Honda Civic untill bigger things come. 

But given MLS policies, who knows, you might accept a 30K salary and end up being on the same salary for 5 years... :-\

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 05:17:19 AM »
RF, first time I agree with you...

Look Loy only looking after himself, a big transfer fee....

The MLS much better that the Pro League and it would have open up better opportunities for Cyrus....

I hope Cyrus dont regret this.

Everybody wants to be a millionair.... the easy way..

Here nah, Trinis, does surprise me sometimes boy....
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 05:24:10 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 07:55:59 AM »
Well from what I heard is that Daneil Cyrus was actually offered a contract with Sporting KC but wanted to stay in Trinidad. The Sporting coach could not believe it. So many of our more promising young players are so mentally screwed up for being push to make bad decisons, either or !!

My question if this is true, why did he waste everyone involved time in the first place ?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:32:01 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 08:23:57 AM »
Understand Flex, but go easy.

Actually believe that it's a good thing that Cyrus and Juma have signed with Caledonia as they are about to launch into Concaf club qualifying and start getting international exposure. Cyrus's value is going up and next year he will  have better sale value after getting Caledonia to topple one of the Mexican giant clubs  ;D

Watch de space  :beermug:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 10:18:43 AM »
Well from what I heard is that Daneil Cyrus was actually offered a contract with Sporting KC but wanted to stay in Trinidad. The Sporting coach could not believe it.  So many of our more promising young players are so mentally screwed up for being push to make bad decisons, either or !!

My question if this is true, why did he waste everyone involved time in the first place ?

What??

Flex, you feel he was trying a negotiation ploy that backfire... or he have something else line up?

« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:32:15 AM by Flex »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »
Well from what I heard is that Daneil Cyrus was actually offered a contract with Sporting KC but wanted to stay in Trinidad. The Sporting coach could not believe it.  So many of our more promising young players are so mentally screwed up for being push to make bad decisons, either or !!

What??

Flex, you feel he was trying a negotiation ploy that backfire... or he have something else line up?

I eh guh lie nah, when ah hear stuff like dis ah does jus shake meh head, say wah
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:32:26 AM by Flex »
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2011, 11:17:47 AM »
Starting salary in the MLS for a guy like him would be somewhere around US$30K per year.

Believe me RF, I cannot disclose too much, but it was way more than that....

Keith Look Loy and Jamaal Shabaaz was expecting a transfer fee but didn't get it....

Do the math....   ;)

Its a tricky situation though and local clubs need a transfer fee to help survive.... so I can understand to a point where they are coming from. If Cyrus had gone to the MLS and after a year he got signed to play in Europe, I am sure the MLS would have benefitted from this.... ask Stern John what happened to him while he was at N.Forrest and MLS claws...

What I hate, is our players walking away for free, our clubs must benefit but not to be to greedy and at the same time looking out for our players future as well.

But as usual, all this could have been prevented if Keith Look Loy had made it clear in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 11:37:40 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
Flex, I eh doubting you, but there has to something else. If the money is above the 35k thresold, how much over. And I am assuming that He getting more money playing for AIA. Some other benefactor must be paying him. I still shaking meh head in all directions.

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »
Sad...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2011, 01:37:38 PM »
Flex, I eh doubting you, but there has to something else. If the money is above the 35k thresold, how much over. And I am assuming that He getting more money playing for AIA. Some other benefactor must be paying him. I still shaking meh head in all directions.

Shabazz convince lil girls in T&T to not do CXC in June and wait for January to travel with the national team. So I can see him convincing these fellas to stay in T&T until it could also benefit Shabazz. Shabazz also convince the female players to leave college and come home to play and they never return to college. Them is rel wicked people to be around T&T football.

Tell the yuteman to stay in the states and sleep in the club house until he established. Higher level training at this crucial age is worth the effort. Shortsightedness.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

"Daniel Cyrus is back in the side and a major boost to us," Caledonia AIA head coach Jamaal Shabazz said mere days before his team departs on Ash Wednesday for St Lucia to take on Newtown United in a Caribbean Club Championship first round match.

Caledonia AIA have qualified for the Caribbean series for the first time by virtue of a second-placed finish in the Trinidad and Tobago Pro League, their best-ever showing.

Cyrus, 20, is one a season-long loan to Caledonia from another local club, FC 1st Santa Rosa, and has only just returned from the United States where he was on trial with the Sporting Kansas City (Wizards). Yesterday 1st Santa Rosa's coach Keith Look Loy confirmed that Cyrus had a successful trial.

"The trial was successful," Look Loy declared. "But the offer from the club was not accepted. They liked the player very much and agreed that he could be a big asset to them this season, but the numbers (were not) adding up. So, he has returned and will be with Caledonia for the CFU qualifiers."

Cyrus represented T&T at the 2007 FIFA Under-17 and 2009 FIFA Under-20 World Cups and has grown into a steady defensive force for AIA this season. He received rave reviews from Kansas City head coach Peter Vermes, who reported on their website that he had improved with every session.

Shabazz told the Express that also joining Caledonia AIA was striker Juma Clarence, who scored in T&T's narrow 2-1 defeat to Italy at the 2009 FIFA Under-20 World Cup. Clarence has played in Turkey since impressing at the FIFA competition. Shabazz revealed that it will cost Caledonia AIA over $100,000 just to go to St Kitts-Nevis for the first leg tie. They have prepared for Newtown United with warm-up victories over the National Under-20 squad (4-2) and the National Under-23 squad (3-1) and will also play Defence Force on Carnival Sunday.

"The effort of two sponsors, Neal & Massy and the National Lotteries Control Board (NLCB), have greatly assisted us," Shabazz said. "So far the preparation has been good. The guys have committed themselves despite the Carnival season, but they have still been able to take a little wine to the side."

If you doh  get ah good result you will realize that "little wine to the side." was really a big wine...! Carnival time there is nothing like ah "little wine". 

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 08:53:10 AM »
Starting salary in the MLS for a guy like him would be somewhere around US$30K per year.

Believe me RF, I cannot disclose too much, but it was way more than that....

Keith Look Loy and Jamaal Shabaaz was expecting a transfer fee but didn't get it....

Do the math....   ;)

Its a tricky situation though and local clubs need a transfer fee to help survive.... so I can understand to a point where they are coming from. If Cyrus had gone to the MLS and after a year he got signed to play in Europe, I am sure the MLS would have benefitted from this.... ask Stern John what happened to him while he was at N.Forrest and MLS claws...

What I hate, is our players walking away for free, our clubs must benefit but not to be to greedy and at the same time looking out for our players future as well.

But as usual, all this could have been prevented if Keith Look Loy had made it clear in the first place.

If he is on loan to Caledonia from Santa Rosa technically shouldn't the transfer fee be entitled to Santa Rosa and not Cali?
Is cali even entitled to a transfer fee?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 10:12:46 AM »
Is cali even entitled to a transfer fee?

Off course not....

1st Santa Rosa probably own his rights until he becomes 23, something like Akeem Adams and W Connection. He is just on loan to Caledonia and they will not be entitled to anything.

Remember, Calidonia needs him for the Concacaf Cup and Shabaaz and Look Loy is very good friends.

They may look to send him to Europe ? or if Sporting KC really wants him they will have to cough up a transfer fee.

Concacaf Cup is where he will get exposure and other teams will see him as well, the problem is, lets hope Cali dont end up playing like Joe Public did in their last 2 seasons or else it will be more bad than good for him........

1 bird in hand is better than 2 in the bushes, ask Geico....  ;D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:18:44 AM by Flex »

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2011, 10:37:53 AM »
So you are saying the kid passed up on signing a professional contract in the MLS so that he could play in the CONCACAF champions league? and what if his team gets roasted in the champions league?

If as Flex suggest, he gave up making around $60K for an option to showcase himeself in the champions league, its really a very backward way of thinking!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:55:58 AM by Reggaefan »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2011, 10:56:26 AM »
Musbe gehin de bess wine back in trini right now and culd not pass up on dat fuh anodder year or so, who knows.  All de best to de yute and he path forward, though given de facts dat we have, many here clearly disagree w/the choice (myself included)
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2011, 10:56:32 AM »
So you are saying the kid passed up on signing a professional contract in the MLS so that he could play in the CONCACAF champions league? and what if his team gets roasted in the champions league?

If as Flex suggest, he gave up making $60K for an option to showcase himeself in the champions league, its really a very backward way of thinking!

Actually, it wasn't his call, the local club wanted a transfer fee and the MLS side wasn't having it. Remember, he is still connected to a local team and they are looking out for theirs.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2011, 11:08:04 AM »
This

Well from what I heard is that Daneil Cyrus was actually offered a contract with Sporting KC but wanted to stay in Trinidad. The Sporting coach could not believe it. So many of our more promising young players are so mentally screwed up for being push to make bad decisons, either or !!

Don't match with this

Actually, it wasn't his call, the local club wanted a transfer fee and the MLS side wasn't having it. Remember, he is still connected to a local team and they are looking out for theirs.

So which is it?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »
Sorry, the second one is right..

The first one have some truth (scapegoat), but I am not allowed to say more....
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 12:12:28 PM by Flex »

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2011, 12:17:55 PM »
Sorry, the second one is right..

The first one have some truth (scapegoat), but I am not allowed to say more....

understood!  Hope in the end it works for Cyrus

1]; } ?>