April 28, 2024, 08:02:27 PM

Author Topic: Cardiff City chasing Bolton star Jlloyd Samuel  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Cardiff City chasing Bolton star Jlloyd Samuel
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:35:25 AM »
Cardiff City chasing Bolton star Jlloyd Samuel
Wales Online

CARDIFF City are linked with a move to sign Bolton Wanderers left-back Jlloyd Samuel on loan.

Manager Dave Jones will have to reorganise the Bluebirds' back five for their next match, against Derby County on Saturday week, and sources in Bolton say he has enquired about Samuel.

If the move succeeds, Jones is likely to switch full-back Kevin McNaughton to centre-half alongside Dekel Keinan.

Mark Hudson is ruled out for more than a month after suffering damaged medial knee ligaments during the 3-3 Championship draw at Millwall.

The obvious change is for Hungarian Gabor Gyepes to partner Keinan, while the move for Samuel would give Jones an extra option.

Samuel, aged 29 and born in Trinidad, is a former Gillingham and Aston Villa left-back who has been with Bolton Wanderers since 2007.

Jones must also decide on who will play in goal against Derby. Stephen Bywater is on loan from Derby County and is not eligible. Tom Heaton, almost fit after a groin strain, or Welsh international Jason Brown, on loan from Blackburn Rovers, will start against Derby.

Cardiff City made a move to sign striker Diomansy Kamara from Fulham on loan last week, but he switched to Championship rivals Leicester City for the rest of this season.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: Cardiff City chasing Bolton star Jlloyd Samuel
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
Cardiff City confident they have Jlloyd Samuel
By: Steve Tucker, Wales Online

CARDIFF CITY are tonight completing an emergency loan deal to bring Bolton Wanderers Jlloyd Samuel to the Welsh capital.

Am agreement has been reached between the two clubs and the Bluebirds completed the paper-work ahead of today's 5pm deadline. The deal is currently being ratified by the Football League.

The 29-year-old left back will join up with his new Cardiff teammates on Monday and will remain with the Bluebirds until the end of the season. Bluebirds' boss Dave Jones has been keen to add to his defensive options after an injury to centre-half Mark Hudson last weekend.

Samuel, who has recently recovered from a thigh strain, is a former England under-21 international, but switched his allegiance to his native Trinidad and Tobago.

Formerly at Gillingham and Aston Villa, he signed for Bolton in 2007, but has been down the pecking order at the Lancashire club and has not featured this season.

The club also denied this evening that they were looking to bring in striker Marlon King on loan from Coventry.

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2011, 01:32:27 PM »
Deal done
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12875_6833317,00.html

Bluebirds bag Samuel.

Promotion-chasing Cardiff City have signed Jlloyd Samuel on loan from Bolton Wanderers for the rest of the season.

The Wanderers left-back has struggled to make any kind of impact at the Reebok Stadium this term and has not managed a single appearance for the Premier League club.

Samuel's move not only provides him with the opportunity of first-team football but also boosts Cardiff's promotion ambitions to England's top flight over the remaining eight games of the season.

The 29-year-old former Aston Villa man arrives just days after the Bluebirds lost influential centre-back Mark Hudson for between four to six weeks due to a grade two tear to knee ligaments, with manager Dave Jones preparing for a possible defensive reshuffle.

Samuel, who has made 83 appearances for Bolton since signing in 2007, is in line to make his City debut when the club return to action following the international break at home to Derby on 2nd April.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 05:51:22 PM by Flex »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 02:30:43 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jlloyd Samuel vows to lift Bluebirds
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 04:26:07 AM »
Jlloyd Samuel vows to lift Bluebirds
By Steve Tucker (Western Mail)

NEW Cardiff City signing Jlloyd Samuel has vowed to play his part in helping the Bluebirds into the Premiership.

The 29-year-old left-back arrived in the Welsh capital this week on season-long loan from Bolton and is in contention for the visit of Derby on Saturday.

Samuel has not played at all this campaign, but insists he is now over a thigh injury and ready step in for Cardiff’s last eight games of the Championship season.

And Samuel said he has slotted straight into manager Dave Jones’ regime.

“It’s going to be a good test for myself here. I have come here to play games. I want to get my sharpness and fitness back and at the same time help Cardiff to promotion,” said Samuel.

“I’ve been out for five-and-a-half months with an injury. It was hard to get my way back into the Bolton side because they have been doing so well.

“Rather than sit around, I wanted to come here and push on. The games will be coming thick and fast now and the Championship is a good league.

“I’ve played in the Premiership for most of my career which has been good for me, but now it’s going to be a nice test here because they are playing for something here. They want to push on for promotion.

“What Cardiff have got here is a Premiership set-up really.”

Samuel has made 75 appearances for Wanderers since arriving in May 2007, but made his name at Aston Villa where he was a trainee and enjoyed 200 outings.

Samuel earned seven caps for England at under 21 level before pledging his allegiance to his native Trinidad and Tobago back in 2009.

But it was his time in the England set-up which has helped Samuel settle in quicker at Cardiff having played in the same side as Bluebirds striker Jay Bothroyd.

He also lined up alongside Peter Whittingham at Villa.

“I know Jay. I played with him for England Under-18s and things like that. It’s always nice to know people,” said Samuel.

“I’ve known Jay for a few years and his attitude hasn’t changed. He’s still a very good player, although he does like to throw his dummy out a bit, but that’s Jay. That’s just the way he is. He’s a good lad.

“There’s also Peter Whittingham, who I played with at Aston Villa, so it does make it easier to settle in and all the lads have been very helpful.”

Samuel could answer the call at full-back as Jones reshuffles his defensive set-up.

Centre-half Mark Hudson could be out for up to six weeks with a knee injury and Jones has a decision to make.

Hungarian Gabor Gyepes could slot straight into the heart of defence or Kevin McNaughton could shuffle across, opening the door for Samuel.

“The manager has spoken to me, but I think he’s just been letting me settle in. He will probably get more into it as the week goes on,” added Samuel on the club’s official website.

“He’s checked if I’m fit and hopefully he will think I’m fit enough to be involved.

“Derby will be a good game and it is obviously one that we need to win because we are playing for promotion here.”

« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 04:30:39 AM by Tallman »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 05:28:55 AM »

The 29-year-old left-back arrived in the Welsh capital this week on season-long loan from Bolton and is in contention for the visit of Derby on Saturday.

He turned 30 yesterday!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Samuel’s London roots was paved with stars
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 04:25:25 AM »
Samuel’s London roots was paved with stars
By Terry Phillips (South Wales Echo)

JLLOYD Samuel, the left-back set for his Cardiff City debut against Derby tomorrow, has spoken about how he began his football adventure alongside Chelsea and England stars John Terry and Ashley Cole.

Samuel and Terry were teammates at the renowned Senrab club in Walthamstow and their formative football years saw them play with, and against, a host of lads who would later go on to fame and fortune in the Premier League.

The Bluebirds’ critical clash with the Rams is a long way from the muddy pitches of Wanstead Flats in London where Samuel played alongside Terry and came up against Cole on a regular basis.

And there will certainly be less of the carefree enjoyment of youth with so much at stake for the home side in their quest for promotion and the chance to rub shoulders with the likes of Terry and Cole on a regular basis.

All the same though, Samuel’s path to the bright lights of the top flight is an interesting one.

That Senrab team (named after England star John Barnes, but spelt backwards) included a host of players who went on to become household names for football fans.

Paul Konchesky, Bobby Zamora and Ledley King were among them, and they would regularly cross swords on a Sunday morning with future England internationals Scott Parker and Cole who, in those days, was scoring 100 goals a season as a centre-forward.

Samuel lost touch with Terry, but remembers how the England skipper started on the road to stardom as a ‘short and stumpy midfielder’ back in his junior days.

“John was always a good footballer and I always thought he would go on to be a creative midfielder,” said Samuel. “He wasn’t captain. Back then Kemi Izzet (brother of former Leicester City midfielder Muzzy) was skipper.

“You could see how comfortable John was on the ball that he was good and the presence he has now has always been there, even at an early age. But he has certainly shot up – he was quite short and stumpy back then.”

Samuel, who has been training with Cardiff City this week, added: “We didn’t lose many games.

“Why? Well, I don’t think they will have had so many quality players in the same team before or since. It was a bit of a freak.

“There were only really two teams who used to compete with us. Scott Parker’s old team from South London and Ashley Cole’s team, Puma.

“We won a lot of trophies but it wasn’t as if we were scouted to go to Senrab. For some reason we just all ended up in the same place.”

Other Senrab graduates include Sol Campbell, Muzzy Izzet, Lee Bowyer, Jermain Defoe, Ade Akinbiyi and former Cardiff City captain Darren Purse.

While Terry and Cole contemplate their chances of success in the Premier League and Champions League with Chelsea, Samuel is looking to kick-start his playing career by spending the rest of this season with Cardiff as they aim for promotion.

Tomorrow, at Cardiff City Stadium, Bluebirds manager Dave Jones is contemplating a new-look back four with Samuel slotting in alongside Paul Quinn, Dekel Keinan and Kevin McNaughton.

Samuel has not played first team football in a year, but he’s been training hard and figured in a series of Bolton reserve team games.

“I’ve come here to play games,” said Samuel, whose career has been curtailed by a serious thigh injury.

1]; } ?>