March 28, 2024, 11:09:14 AM

Author Topic: NCAA March Madness  (Read 17930 times)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NCAA March Madness
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 05:16:14 PM »
VCU losing steam against KU in the 2nd half. let's see if they could hold on.

Just keeping things interesting... what a run they're on.  Win or lose (and it looks like win, up 8 w/ 3:39 left) they've certainly earned the respect of all the doubters.

Nah, we doh want respect. We fueled by haterade.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 05:34:41 PM »
I'll be rooting for VCU and their Trini coach to beat Butler and make it to the title game.  UConn will have their hands full against Kentucky in a battle of dirty coach vs. dirtier coach.  Dirtier coach will likely prevail as Kentucky is a more complete team with more dynamic stars... so I'll be rooting for VCU to win it all.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »
so either VCU going to the finals all the way from the play-in or Butler going for the 2nd year in row. Amazing.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2011, 06:36:33 PM »
I'll be rooting for VCU and their Trini coach to beat Butler and make it to the title game.  UConn will have their hands full against Kentucky in a battle of dirty coach vs. dirtier coach.  Dirtier coach will likely prevail as Kentucky is a more complete team with more dynamic stars... so I'll be rooting for VCU to win it all.

I ent sure coach Smart will give much credit for anything to his deadbeat Trini father other than for his first name.
4 great games this weekend in the elite 8.

The list of scalps thus far: Pac- 10, Big East, Big 10, ACC, Big 12.

Butler is clearly the most dangerous team left for VCU. Being from the Horizon League.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 07:16:24 PM »
I ent sure coach Smart will give much credit for anything to his deadbeat Trini father other than for his first name.
4 great games this weekend in the elite 8.

The list of scalps thus far: Pac- 10, Big East, Big 10, ACC, Big 12.

Butler is clearly the most dangerous team left for VCU. Being from the Horizon League.

I didn't say anything about giving him credit... I just finding another reason to root for him. Besides, I don't know enough about that situation to call his father a "deadbeat". 

As for the "list of scalps", that was just about the silliest stat in a long line of silly stats this weekend.  Playing teams from a conference is hardly a measure of how the team stacks up against the conference... which is how the stat was presented... "small school, small conference vs. big conference".

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »
I done tell yuh, it have no logic, only ole talk.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »
I done tell yuh, it have no logic, only ole talk.

Yeah I know, I not on you... I more irritated by the CBS announcing crew and their annual quest to manufacture storylines.  Is as though the compelling drama we see played out from game to game ent storyline enough  ::)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »
How VCU coach Shaka Smart got his unusual first name

By Jeff Eisenberg

Virginia Commonwealth coach Shaka Smart was once the most accomplished history major in his class at Ohio's prestigious Kenyon College, so it's no surprise he appreciates the historical significance of his unusual first name.

Smart's father, a native of Trinidad, named him after the influential Zulu chieftain Shaka, who united much of Southern Africa under his leadership in the early 1800s. Since Smart's father didn't play much of a role in raising him, the VCU coach joked with reporters on Saturday that the unique first name was "the best thing my dad did for me."

"Shaka was a warrior, he was a tough dude, and my dad chose to name me after him," Smart said. "You may have seen the movie Shaka Zulu? That's who I'm named after."

It's fitting that Smart is named after a King known for uniting multiple African tribes since one of the VCU coach's best attributes is his ability to motivate his players to come together for a common purpose. Smart has done that extremely effectively during the NCAA tournament, reminding the 11th-seeded Rams every chance he has that nobody thought they belonged in the field and that nobody is picking them to win.

While peers picked on Smart by calling him "Chaka Khan" or "Shaka Zulu" when he was a kid, he insists he likes having a first name that never got confused with anyone else in his classes. In fact, he told Dan Patrick on Monday morning that it was his last name that received more abuse than his first.

"My last name's "Smart," so a lot of times people would say my middle name is "Not" or something like that," he recalled.

Considering Smart was accepted into Harvard and Yale, graduated from Kenyon College magna cum laude in 1999 and has been a brilliant tactician in this NCAA tournament, it's probably safe to assume that joke hasn't been used in a while.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 06:39:57 PM »
Good game brought into dispute by questionable officiating. But all that said, VCU for the first time didn't really execute their game plan, especially down the stretch. 7-21 from threes and Rodriguez, normally the cog in the machine... bottled up all night.

I'm not gonna hate on Butler... hope they win it all.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 10:16:03 PM »
It was a great run.

Backing Butler in the final vs uconn

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2011, 06:30:02 PM »
Good game brought into dispute by questionable officiating. But all that said, VCU for the first time didn't really execute their game plan, especially down the stretch. 7-21 from threes and Rodriguez, normally the cog in the machine... bottled up all night.

I have to root for the big east institution for this one, so Kemba and Lamb have my support

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 11:58:06 PM »

I have to root for the big east institution for this one, so Kemba and Lamb have my support

Calhoun too facking grimy... nah, ah cyah support him in he fackery dis rounds.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 07:21:06 AM »
Shock of the weekend!
The women's Final: Notre Dame vs Texas A&M.

I woulda bet your house (not mine) on a Stanford - Uconn final.
Like Crhis Berman does say - That's why they play the games.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:34 AM »
Shock of the weekend!

Saw the end of the A&M vs. Stanford game... and all of the ND vs. UConn.... two thrilling games.  That Stanford- A&M finish was as good as any men's ending I've seen.  I was rooting for Stanford, but say what.  Time for ND to carry the Big East torch.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 10:24:33 AM »
Shock of the weekend!

Saw the end of the A&M vs. Stanford game... and all of the ND vs. UConn.... two thrilling games.  That Stanford- A&M finish was as good as any men's ending I've seen.  I was rooting for Stanford, but say what.  Time for ND to carry the Big East torch.

I feel it for Miya Moore, considering she couldn't go 4 for 4 in terms for NCAA wins. Great player though, she still accomplished more than 99.99999% of all college atheletes.
I saw ND play live this year and I was surprized of how good they were, they made us look like a HS team and we had a decent women's program this year. As much as I hate the Irish, I'll root for them as well in the final.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »

Calhoun too facking grimy... nah, ah cyah support him in he fackery dis rounds.

I hear yuh but if Kentucky had one it woulda been Butler all the way for me....if yuh want to talk grimy, then Calipari on top of the list

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »

I hear yuh but if Kentucky had one it woulda been Butler all the way for me....if yuh want to talk grimy, then Calipari on top of the list

Calipari grimier... no doubt, the man had Final Four appearances invalidated at two schools already.  He must be one heckuva master recruiter (or buying athletes) the way he keep re-stocking, lol.

As for ND.... two words, 'Skylar Diggins', great God a'mighty.  If only she was ah li'l older  :devil:

...and what a baller too  ;D

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2011, 12:41:52 PM »

Calipari grimier... no doubt, the man had Final Four appearances invalidated at two schools already.  He must be one heckuva master recruiter (or buying athletes) the way he keep re-stocking, lol.

As for ND.... two words, 'Skylar Diggins', great God a'mighty.  If only she was ah li'l older  :devil:

...and what a baller too  ;D

Yea she pretty too bad in trute...as long as yuh over 21, you good in my book ;D

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
This game is reall scrappy. I guess Butler looking to win ugly.
22-19 at the half. wow.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2011, 08:32:17 PM »
This game is reall scrappy. I guess Butler looking to win ugly.
22-19 at the half. wow.

Masterstroke by Brad Stevens to have his defenders sag back and concede the three to Walker on the pick and rolls... I was mad that we didn't do the same when we played them in Storrs.  Instead we keep chasing him over the top of the screen ane he would split the screen and get to the foul line for a pull-up or all the way to the cup.  Walker ent no three point shooter and 90% of the time he driving right.  If he drive left he pump-faking half the time rather than going straight up.  Watch the second half and tell mih if ah lie.

If I could see that I know the coaches could see that... players have to be disciplined and play him to his weaknesses.  Butler go win... 1-fuh-99 in the first half and still up three.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2011, 08:47:52 PM »
This game is like watching the Cavs play the Wizards.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2011, 09:06:53 PM »
Hard luck dey Butler.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2011, 09:19:28 PM »
I hattuh eat crow on dat one yes... dis is record futility.

Butler = Epic Fail!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 09:25:11 PM by Bakes »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2011, 09:26:55 PM »
That was awful to watch.
Congrats to Uconn, you are the bearded lady.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2011, 01:18:28 PM »
That game was a grinder, dem fellas was committed not to give up anything defensively as baskets were hard to come by, I mean no easy points on both ends. When both teams play that way, the team with more talent won. UCONN had a bit more versatile players who eventually break down Butler's defence in the second half. To the average fan, it was a scrappy (and it was) game but when you break that game down, you'll see every shot was contested and those guys had to work hard for everything. The only free shots were the one's awarded to Walker from 3 point range in the first half.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 02:10:06 PM by soccerman »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 12:09:56 AM »
Well ah officially 0-fuh-2 in Championship games this year... ND lost tuh A&M in the Women's Final.  Skylar Diggs choose the worst time to have ah off-night.

... but on de bright side, Sydney Colson is ah keeper boy, I real sleep on she.  Still kinda young doh, lol

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2011, 11:44:22 AM »
Bakes ah feel yuh have ah ting fuh dem female basketball players...ah woulda tell yuh go fuh Candice Parker but Sheldon Williams done tie dat down.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2011, 02:15:01 PM »
Bakes ah feel yuh have ah ting fuh dem female basketball players...ah woulda tell yuh go fuh Candice Parker but Sheldon Williams done tie dat down.

Yeah I love ah athletic woman... plus if she's ah ball peong like me too??

but nah, Candice Parker never did nutten fuh me.  Now Jamillah Wideman, Sue Bird... Candace Wiggins?  Pure baybee maddah material ;D

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:21 PM »
I hear yuh hoss :beermug:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2017, 09:31:59 PM »
See Shaka Smart coaching coaching Texas Longhorns vs Oklahoma. Texas leading by 8 currently.

1]; } ?>