April 25, 2024, 06:21:02 AM

Author Topic: Let's have community Pro-League teams  (Read 6066 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Let's have community Pro-League teams
« on: April 25, 2005, 09:04:17 AM »
Trinidad Express

THE present structure of Trinidad and Tobago's Professional Football League doesn't make any sense. I'm talking about the Jabloteh, W Connection, Army etc. Let me explain: every weekend we sit in front of our televisions and watch Real Madrid vs Barcelona, Manchester United vs Liverpool etc. and we like what we see - the high standard of football, the passion of the players and most of all the crowd of supporters in the thousands and wonder why our league can't be like that. The answer is this, people support their own, these clubs are from places not companies.

The standard of football, the support and marketing of T&T football is very poor and extends down to the national team, the players have little interest, heart or passion for the game because of what goes on in the pro league.

The average citizen doesn't have a clue about our players, who they are, where they're from, their background etc., but we know everything about Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Beckham, Figo and on and on.

My solution is this-do away with the present league format and start with Port of Spain, San Fernando, Mayaro, Chaguanas, Arima, Sangre Grande, Point Fortin etc. and trust me, we would see a whole difference in the standard and support of T&T football.

C Mata

Morvant
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Let's have community Pro-League teams
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 10:22:39 AM »
Makes for a pretty good argument.  Good point.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 11:11:18 AM »
This has been spoken about for over two decades and nothing has been done,like the national sports commisionThis is one of the reasons basketball is popular among the youths in T&T .They mainly have community base teams.Pan also.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 11:39:57 AM »
I have spoken on this subject on another form and i'm going to support who ever wrote this article completely,it's the best and only way for Football in T&T to get better,first of all that's how it used to be and it was successfu,the other one is even though a lot of teams around the world have foreign players check the name they carry  and where they are from,citys,towns etc. people want to identify with where they belong,T&T is too small to do what they are trying to do,we have to go back to Point Fortin Civic,Memphis,TECSA,Cocorite Utd.etc.nobody could relate to Jabloteh,W Conection and so on these names don't even sound good,where these teams from.Just like Pan teams were always associated with areas it does not matter where the players come from.

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Renaming local sides
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 08:45:29 AM »
I was wondering why sides in Trinidad dont rename their sides to the area they are from or start to align themselves to areas ?
I would find it much easier to back Port of SPain FC vs San Fernando FC !
This would also allow teams to build up local fanbases where people can affilate to an area.
They should franchasie teams to stadiums and let them get sponsors like any other team would
my 2 cents
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Renaming local sides
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 09:01:58 AM »
Excellent Point ah like that.....

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
Re: Renaming local sides
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 09:04:09 AM »
They dont have Arima United anymore???

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 09:14:26 AM »
This is not a new idea , hopefully it can make a difference

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 09:17:23 AM »
MORVANT F.C ALL THE WAY :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 09:18:24 AM »
good to see other people think the same way.... but I dont understand why its not done ?
everybody benefits !
more exposure for players
better attendances
more exposure for sponsors
and on and on

St. Ann's FC
supporters: The Crazy gang !
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:41:08 AM by Tallman »
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline Warlord

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 10:40:04 AM »
I think this a good idea to have teams with more of a community base to it. In Jamaica, this is evident with alot of the NPL teams. And I can tell you this fan support is very strong for community teams in the NPL.
"I love to see my people living in love, hate to see dem fighting and swimming in blood."

TrinInfinite

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 10:46:56 AM »
we need a ttpl dat is govt funded and has sponsors involved , also a very strong marketin dept to get people 2 de games, den study about community football

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 10:52:09 AM »
we had this debate before and we just going back to an old topic. people saying this for years in T&t ever since they form the NFL in the middle 70's
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2005, 11:22:00 AM »
DIEGO VALLEY UTD.... POM POM... I guh manage it!!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 11:25:59 AM »
morvant vs deigo larddddddd
stadium go be rammmmmmmmm

i would fly down to see one ah dem games
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 11:36:10 AM »
yeh boi, i was thinkin of organising a team for dinsley wen ah go bak, an eddie hart league n ting right there but i dunno what requirements u need to enter these leagues or do u have to start from the bootom like england etc any 1 know? if its somthing thats been talked about for a longtime im suprised these tings havnt happend. also when u have a local side bringin youth players from the area up it will help the community, if di kids an dem focused on these tings it will lessan the chance of them goin into crime n ting, ive seen it work in london b4 but it has to be done by the community u cant rely on the govement for these tings. and wen they give u somting they can take it away at anytime if u see what im sayin.

yeh man, if us and alot more people started doing this and workin together u see the standard of football raise much higher than it is now. wen i go bak to triniand an play, i see players with so much skill, pace and strength but overall technically poor but because they arnt being coached and arnt involved at a club level from a young age. im sure theres a couple 10 year old yorkes and maybe a latapy out there but they will never be discoverd or reach their protential the way tings r.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 01:31:00 PM by Tallman »

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2005, 11:48:57 AM »
This article in good but even if teams come out with names like St Ann’s FC it still wouldn’t work remember we had St Ann’s all stars before the community thing could work with the current teams in the Pro league there names mite be strange but there   base in a community on the island they just have to go out in there areas and get support they should have  sports day where the people could come and have fun and meet the players advertises in there community and make and effort to reach out to there respective communities the days of Colts and Malvern are over we have to move the.   
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 12:00:38 PM »
i tink, we need more teams in a more organised structure. like national prem league, div 1, div 2, and  then north, east, south, west prem league and div 1, which feeds into the national div 2 making it possible for a small regional team like say trincity in west div 2 to climb to the top within four seasons which will improve the commpetivness of the leagues. it would help filter good players who would have experience playing proper league football and not just high school or college football. the only problem tho is funding which cooprate Trinidad would have to help wid. and also minimum requirements or the leagues. if a small team climbed up fast they wouldnt have a stadium, stands or facilaties etc. i think thats y tobago is still in the pro league?

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 01:08:52 PM »
I think there is a two fold issue to deal with,
1. The overall mentality of football has to change, where people see it as an industry and players understand that doing the best that they can at the club level, can lead to National selection and or International opportunities.
I also would like to see not only the community coming out to see the team, but the team going into the community, get to know the people and encourage them to come out and support. Give the youths a role model become that ZIDANE or ROANLDINHO to a six yr old.

2.Marketing is also a very weak aspect of our football . I think we have decent players at all levels of the game, but promotion and exposure remain primarily by word of mouth and newspaper.

Branding and the utilisation of technology in the form of DVD sales of Pro league Finals, Intercol  & National senior games will go a long way to getting our players the exposure they need.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 02:09:07 PM by grskywalker »

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2005, 02:53:44 PM »
Great idea..................but the location of the stadia is ah lil prob.

eg. When w connection played a game at gilbert park some time ago, the whole of couva and environs came out to support.......if the game was at the ato boldon, 75% of the crowd would not have been there

what im trying to say is dat the govt needs to create Quality pitches in the communities( like da stadia) doesnt hav to be dat large though)

the community teams and players would generate great amounts of support and sponsorship.etc

Its possible , but it may take a couple years to get underway

would be very exciting though!!

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2005, 04:08:09 PM »

St. Ann's FC
supporters: The Crazy gang !

Doh be farse and outta place son.  Done have a St. Anns FC.  It is called Superstar Rangers.  BIG TEAM

Doh geh tie up

Offline troy piloy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2005, 08:22:17 PM »
That is an excellent point.
Why u think more ppl go and see Super league games than pro-league ???
That community touch.
Senior Advisor to AWATT's Intelligence Unit

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Football coming home
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2013, 04:46:13 PM »
Football coming home
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

It’s a coming attraction, and like any good movie, well worth waiting for.

Professional football will be soon coming to the fans, rather than they going to it.

It is all part of the strategy for bringing football back to the community, as explained by Trinidad and Tobago Pro League CEO, Dexter Skeene.

“We are talking with the Sport Company (SPORTT), for each Pro League club to have a ground within their community,” Skeene said. “So, for Central FC and W Connection we have looked at Brechin Castle and another ground. For North East Stars we are trying to get the Sangre Grande ground  at Ojoe Road fixed. We visited it and inspected it and gave them a report on what we think needs to be done. So they (North East Stars) are looking at trying to play there from next year.”

Skeene’s declaration is supported by a recent disclosure of Sport Minister Anil Robert about the upgrading of nine regional recreational community facilities via a $500-million ANSA Merchant Bank bond.

“For Jabloteh we are looking at the Brian Lara Recreation Ground and even the school ground (San Juan Secondary) to play one or two games, and Defence Force the Haig Street recreation ground in Carenage. Football has to go there.  There is no doubt about it. The model is the same all over the world.”

Skeene acknowledged that there are security concerns for team playing in opposing communities, and that some of the fields need to be improved as well.   

“In  the Toyota Classic we had thousands of people coming to the matches  in Point Fortin and Guaya. We had police and private security and we had ropes around the field,” Skeene said. “We also had to be sensible about where we chose to have these games, because the safety of the players and the coaches and the other fans as well is paramount.”

“It can’t be at all cost, because we have to look at the quality of grounds within the communities. We have to try and get the balance right,” Skeene added. “We have to develop it at a comfortable pace where it will not affect the standard of play or affect the security of the players and coach and so on.”

Prior to the start of the new season, Skeene said a major goal was increasing attendances at the games. A strategy was devised to bring teams and communities together, therefore having a built-in following for the clubs. A formula has been worked out. Professional clubs  are required to link with their community through ambassadors and players. They have to work the community, and include community members in the club’s activities. Players have to become household names within their communities.

“So we targeted the (Cup) competitions to hold games within the community , and as well try to attract more community teams. So you saw it in the Toyota Classic and even in the First Citizens Cup.”

One of the reasons the Pro League chose to admit Point Fortin Civic into the League for the 2013-2014 season was because they presented a business plan which the Pro League believes is the future for all teams.

“Point Fortin Civic has a great model in terms of professional football. We want all the clubs to develop along this model,” Skeene declared. “One the requirements is that the team name must include the name of a community.

Two, the ground must be based within the community, such as Point Fortin having Mahaica Oval, right smack in the heart of the borough.

Three, you have your brand ambassadors, people like Leroy De Leon, your Steve David, who identifies as the figureheads of the team, and they are the spokespersons for the team. That is happening with Civic FC. Then again, they have a coach (Reynold Carrington) from the area and is well known. They also have players as well from the community. “

Skeene said the orientation towards community football is already bearing fruit, as seen by the massive crowds in Point Fortin, Guayaguayare and Couva during the First Citizens Cup and mainly the Toyota Classic, where Point Fortin Civic, Guaya United, Club Sando and Malabar FC all did well.

“We saw where football can be,” Skeene said. “I am very encouraged. I am very confident that the Pro League has the correct strategies in place and doing the right things.”

Speaking about the Pro League’s structure, Skeene added that, “ideally, we would want two rounds of football. But we have nine teams. We can’t just have a few games if we want our players operating at optimum level. They need more games, so we have three rounds. We have to do what is best for us.”

Skeene said  promotion and demotion was also a goal of the Pro League, but that many teams in the second tier National Super League simply cannot fund a professional organisation.

Requirements include a $400,000   fee to enter the  League and also having  the capital and business plan to run a professional club and pay the salaries of footballers and employees.

“Who do we bring in? Several times we have invited clubs who have won the Super League, but they do not have the capabilities financial or  administratively,” Skeene declared.  “It would be foolhardy for the (Pro) League and the Board to  demote stable teams, when they are just starting to build their business.”

“The Government is playing a part in supporting the Pro League, and we thank them and the Sportt Company, for recognising that it is a young industry.  The Pro League employs about 400 persons, and is responsible for the  thousands of persons and their families that depend on them as well. The League needs the Government at this time.”

Skeene said the ultimate goal would be to get Pro League teams doing well at Concacaf level again, emulating recent successes such as Jabloteh’s   5-2 win over Chicago Fire (2004) and Joe Public’s 2008 away wins over  USA Club New England Revolution (4-0) and Mexico’s Atlante (1-0).

He is not disturbed that Pro League clubs Caledonia AIA and W Connection have not gone past the Concacaf first round in recent times.

“Since 2006, the League has had a new bunch of players. Many have not yet become accustomed to  the rigours of playing at that level. But  it is a process,” Skeene said. “ We are now dominating the Caribbean and every year sending  two Concacaf qualifiers. Once we continue to expose these players and teams, they will get better.  The  coaches are getting exposure as well, so that Jamaal Shabazz, Ross Russell and Stuart Charles will all now know what is required to succeed as well.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2013, 06:53:54 PM »
Defence Force is not a community team,people in Carenage don't support Defence Force why put them to play in Carenage Rec ground,who going in Haig Street to see DF play?that ground right on the edge of the road,it eh even have space for people to watch a game plus it have no facilities there,well don't talk about security and parking.

Now if Carenage is there home that's where they going to have to practice,i can't understand putting DF in Carenage when there are about four quality fields in Chaguaramas where they are based,one is situated right in Defence Force HQ compound opposite Chagville they are better than most fields in T&T,down there you might have parking problems but no problem with security.

I know in my time you could not put DF to play in Carenage because whether we played home or away it was always sell out crowd,times have changed.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2013, 01:37:03 AM »
I agree with the article to a point. Yes we want community teams, but the community lack proper fields. The fields are used by  all the ball players in each community. The field are in a mess during rainy season. That is why I proposed making most of the field astro(turf) fields. That type can take a pounding from sun up to sundown(sunshine or rain). The savannah can have about 4 turf field. Carenage, Diego, Beetham, Morvant, Santa Cruz, Aranguez, Constantine Park in Tunapuna, Eddie Hart, Five Rivers, etc. Right up the EW corridor where the housing crunch is putting a strain on playing area for the youths. Central and South don't have that problem of the lack of available space  AS YET.

As Coops said, after a while community teams will bring "outsider" to enhance the quality of their team. That is a natural process in football. You want to win, so you acquire players to carry your team to the top. But these players will be repping your community.

I may not like the names of some teams but I don't sponsor the team. So the man or people who control the team will name the team. Jabloteh been around since 74, They are Bourg Malatrasse team. The have San Juan in front their name, and has been (I think) great for the San Juan, Barataria, Saddle Road valley,Aranguez, El Socorro communities. They originated in the old PYM league. Anybody who don't like the name should ask the Jabloteh organization what it means. It is an original Trini French creole patois word. Diable Oiseau(Devil bird) became Jabloteh after a number of years. The problem with Jabloteh has nothing to do with their name or community association. Their problem is the lack of money. They took a big hit when Duprey and Clico fell apart. They were doing excellent when Duprey money was flowing. The mistake Hospedales made was not to have Duprey build a ground/training facilities for them.

The proleague has to take some of the blame for the alienation of the fans from the team. They make teams play all over the place. Fans can't get reliable transport from home to work. You think they go get reliable transport to Couva, Grande, Marabella and now Point!!!.Transportation is a friggin night mare in TT.

If you really love your team you will go and support them. No matter what. So what is happening is most people just don't love their pro team.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 01:46:37 AM by Deeks »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2013, 03:52:11 AM »
Gotta agree, seems crazy to an Englishman to not have community football - local rivalries definitely help people care about football, as do knowing players from their area.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 02:43:29 PM »
I think this is a step in the right direction. It will be crazy to not try it. I will love to see how this comes to fruition.

Just a thought.. Will this create more "turf rivalries" amongst the youth? Or will it do the opposite? Remember London in the 70s and 80s.. I hope the youth see this new "community league football" as a forum to address turf rivalries by supporting their "firm". I would hate to see this contribute to the growing turf related violence amongst some of the youth in TT

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
It can help - done research with an NGO who used community events in their methods, but it was a small part because you need to adequately address the root causes at the same time - they need to be culminations or milestones on the broader programme rather than being a centre-piece

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 03:17:36 PM »
It can help - done research with an NGO who used community events in their methods, but it was a small part because you need to adequately address the root causes at the same time - they need to be culminations or milestones on the broader programme rather than being a centre-piece

Indeed.

Do you have a link to check out? I used to be involved with a few organizations in Toronto. We used a more "Arts based" approach to engage the youth from different neighborhoods. We made some great strides without any funding. But as soon as it started gaining attention from people in "Senior positions", it became very political. The organization/programme no longer exists.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 07:29:03 AM »
I was doing research on the Osmani Trust, who work in Tower Hamlets (mainly the Bangladeshi Community, they were formed in response to National Front Racist attacks during the 1980s);

http://www.osmanitrust.org/about/

They are apolitical because their members are apolitical - there's a lot of voter apathy in the community as politicians frequently lie to them to secure their votes. If you want it to be apolitical you'll probably have to rely on private donations, but this specific organisation are quite context-specific in that all of the organisers were members from a young age too - so the organisation sees people go through from recipient to social worker (where they get formal qualifications as part of the sustainable impact) and then they often go into the private sector for 10/20 years before coming back and supporting it at a higher level, bringing their experience.

1]; } ?>