April 23, 2024, 05:36:23 PM

Author Topic: Skill Development in T&T  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Trini-Warrior

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Skill Development in T&T
« on: March 31, 2011, 08:38:48 AM »
I'm focusing on specifically dribbling skills. Where has it gone? I can think about Dwarika, Terry 'Jughead' St. Louis, young Yorke, Latas, Nixon to name a few who have entertained us and used their individual skill to unlock opposition defenses. When I look at our national teams today, there seems to be no one who can fit into that mold. While I must admit that our national teams play with more structure than what I have seen in the past (albeit at a very slow pace), we lack greatly the spontaneity and  creativity that individual brilliance brings. We know that the talent is there because we see it in our players at the infant stages of their careers but as they develop they seem to just lose it. Rahim, Britto, Winchester (to a lesser extent) to name a few. Is it the method of coaching involved, too much emphasis on organizational play and little time spent on free play? You coaches out there might have the answers.

I believe that the truly great dribblers are not coached into that but develop their skills in their formative years through open, free play. Are our young footballers still playing small post or some version of it? I believe there is a need and a place for it just as many Brazilians develop their skills on the streets.  Excellent dribbling skills are not coached but developed through exposure and encouragement at embryonic stages.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:37:29 PM by Trini-Warrior »

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Skill Development in T&T
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 09:26:42 AM »
it's a different generation of players now. I think trinidad needs more international clubs to visit trinidad to play football. This will allow the youths to see and understand the skill level. I can look forward for clubs like Santos(Brazil) and/or Barcelona(Spain) and many more top teams.

Offline Coach

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 02:07:52 PM »
I'm focusing on specifically dribbling skills. Where has it gone? I can think about Dwarika, Terry 'Jughead' St. Louis, young Yorke, Latas, Nixon to name a few who have entertained us and used their individual skill to unlock opposition defenses. When I look at our national teams today, there seems to be no one who can fit into that mold. While I must admit that our national teams play with more structure than what I have seen in the past (all be it at a very slow pace), we lack greatly the spontaneity and  creativity that individual brilliance brings. We know that the talent is there because we see it in our players at the infant stages of their careers but as they develop they seem to just loose it. Rahim, Britto, Winchester (to a lesser extent) to name a few. Is it the method of coaching involved, too much emphasis on organizational play and little time spent on free play? You coaches out there might have the answers.

I believe that the truly great dribblers are not coached into that but develop their skills in their formative years through open, free play. Are our young footballers still playing small post or some version of it? I believe there is a need and a place for it just as many Brazilians develop their skills on the streets.  Excellent dribbling skills are not coached but developed through exposure and encouragement at embryonic stages.

Good views! Dribbling is a risk.. and the style of how today's coaches are now trained, they don't like to take chances due to their lack of knowledge to teach players when to dribble to create scoring opportunities in the attacking third and also, a lot of coaches lack the ability on how to teach players to better their dribbling skills, so players are discourage at a young age from dribbling. i.e. Go to any youth soccer game today and most of the shouting is "pass it" don't ever hear "beat him".

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »
I'm focusing on specifically dribbling skills. Where has it gone? I can think about Dwarika, Terry 'Jughead' St. Louis, young Yorke, Latas, Nixon to name a few who have entertained us and used their individual skill to unlock opposition defenses. When I look at our national teams today, there seems to be no one who can fit into that mold. While I must admit that our national teams play with more structure than what I have seen in the past (all be it at a very slow pace), we lack greatly the spontaneity and  creativity that individual brilliance brings. We know that the talent is there because we see it in our players at the infant stages of their careers but as they develop they seem to just loose it. Rahim, Britto, Winchester (to a lesser extent) to name a few. Is it the method of coaching involved, too much emphasis on organizational play and little time spent on free play? You coaches out there might have the answers.

Good views! Dribbling is a risk.. and the style of how today's coaches are now trained, they don't like to take chances due to their lack of knowledge to teach players when to dribble to create scoring opportunities in the attacking third and also, a lot of coaches lack the ability on how to teach players to better their dribbling skills, so players are discourage at a young age from dribbling. i.e. Go to any youth soccer game today and most of the shouting is "pass it" don't ever hear "beat him".

I like it. Maybe some might say that we had come out of an era where all yuh would hear is "beat him" and as a result "pass it" took a beating. One thing is for certain Trini-warrior points about when to dribble and coach points on how to dribble, in my opinion, are spot on. Also the fact that in most training programs, north america & Caribbean, players are discouraged from dribbling says alot. Having said that maybe its not just the players that have changed but also the game has changed. Look at the Argentina vs USA game. Scoreline still end up 1-1 though both teams were on opposite sides of this argument. One thing is for certain.. there is nothing like the beautiful game. Viva la France? lol
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline coachman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »
I took one of our young and talented dribblers on a trial overseas,i was expecting him to tear those guys to shreds,but they played two touch and one the entire trial,he did not make it.I felt so bad for one of our best talent.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 02:47:35 PM »
I took one of our young and talented dribblers on a trial overseas,i was expecting him to tear those guys to shreds,but they played two touch and one the entire trial,he did not make it.I felt so bad for one of our best talent.

So why wasn't one of our  'best talent' taught how to complete a proper pass? Were you responsible for teaching him that?

I don't know the game as well as I should, I only played for my high school and at college level then went on to other things. And I don't mean to to be disrespectful. But why on earth somebody go send a young man overseas expecting them to tear people up then be surprised when he didn't make it.

You weren't aware of the shortcomings of his game?

This is what does get people up in arms on this forum. Local coaches who never seem to have a clue as to the requirements of the modern game. So this young talent....what is being done now to prepare them so they don't end up like Shaddon Winchester who went on so much trials with nothing to show for it but a loss of condfidence and whose game is supposedly regressing
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 03:19:31 PM »
There is so much a coach can teach an individual about skill. I think each individual is born with inate skills set and it depends on how much she/he practices these skills that will make him good, great or a minor leaguer. Skill is one of the intangibles in football a coach can't coach.

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »

So why wasn't one of our  'best talent' taught how to complete a proper pass? Were you responsible for teaching him that?

I don't know the game as well as I should, I only played for my high school and at college level then went on to other things. And I don't mean to to be disrespectful. But why on earth somebody go send a young man overseas expecting them to tear people up then be surprised when he didn't make it.

This is what does get people up in arms on this forum. Local coaches who never seem to have a clue as to the requirements of the modern game. So this young talent....what is being done now to prepare them so they don't end up like Shaddon Winchester who went on so much trials with nothing to show for it but a loss of condfidence and whose game is supposedly regressing

I think the point coachman was making was that he was one of the best dribblers yet it counted for nothing on the trial. I might be wrong, but I don't think he meant to say that the player couldn't complete a proper pass. The point was more to counter to opening sentiment in this thread which was that we need to place more value the lost art of dribbling.  :beermug:

Offline 1st touch

• Jr. Warrior
  • Without a good 1st touch yuh is a spectator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 01:39:12 PM »
what they all lacking with consistency is a 1st touch...especially under pressure and when the game quickens.
Without that, dribbling and passing does not matter because you dont have control of the ball.

The 2nd most glaring weakness with local players is ball smarts.
We just really dont understand the game and take too long to read a play, recognize an opportunity and make a correct decision. Therefore we always look slow, out numbered in attack, defense and in the middle, when we play teams that play a more complete game and have better understanding.
This is also why men movement off the ball is so poor and the one and two touch just not a part of our game...Is strictly hold the ball (when we control it), watch the ball unless we one on one in the play and have no idea about creating space for ourselves or other players...finally we do not play 100% of the game...fellas play in spurts as individuals and a team...why? because of all of the above...and it have nothing to do with fitness.

And most importantly, this applies to the coaches and their knowledge.

So, back to small goal, where we play best
If yuh looking, yuh sure to find it...

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 02:01:37 PM »
There is so much a coach can teach an individual about skill. I think each individual is born with inate skills set and it depends on how much she/he practices these skills that will make him good, great or a minor leaguer. Skill is one of the intangibles in football a coach can't coach.

This is something ah don't agree with and ah have proof that you can be born ah beh beh and still be coached to become very skillful.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 02:03:19 PM »

I think the point coachman was making was that he was one of the best dribblers yet it counted for nothing on the trial. I might be wrong, but I don't think he meant to say that the player couldn't complete a proper pass. The point was more to counter to opening sentiment in this thread which was that we need to place more value the lost art of dribbling.  :beermug:

You could be correct there. If I misinterpreted my sincere apologies to coachman. As I said no disrespect intended, its just a frustration after so much dissapointment with all our men's teams, and so much players who went on trials only to come back with nothing.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 03:35:28 PM »
hmm nice thread.   So 1st Touch you really feel fitness isn't the issue?  I believe you need to encourage individualism but mix it with responsibility.   All the players mentioned by Trini-Warriors are good dribblers but they are were colossally irresponsible when it came to the team unit.  And we all know this.  With all the skill Latas have he under achieved in my opinion.  It makes no sense having a lot of individuals on the team will skills if they can't do it for the unit.  With T&T though it seems like what we are trying to pull of is above our technical ability.  We need to find something that works for us on the field.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

1]; } ?>