April 19, 2024, 01:15:22 AM

Author Topic: Pro League on the up says Skeene.  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Pro League on the up says Skeene.
« on: March 21, 2011, 07:35:34 AM »
By: Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Dexter Skeene, chief executive officer of the T&T Pro League, says he gets a feeling of awe when he considers the significant progress the League has made.

Skeene made this disclosure during his address at the launch of the T&T Pro League Digicel Pro Bowl tournament  held at the President’s Box, Queen’s Park Oval, Tragarete Road, Port-of-Spain on Thursday.

A former national midfielder, Skeene said he drew his conclusion while reflecting on the state of the League earlier in the day.

Looking ahead to the coming season, Skeene said the Pro League is poised to enjoy its biggest and most innovative year.

“I’m excited by the reality that the league will fall in line with the best football leagues in the world, starting in August and ending May 2012.

“The League will also be on television and radio and our players, fans and supporters will be able to follow the matches on both.” Skeene noted that through these initiatives the Pro League has not only survived, it has thrived.

‘New ownership groups and clubs, both foreign and local are expressing genuine interest while new corporate partners want to align with the league.

“In this regard our current corporate partners can rest assured that the league’s view is one of exclusivity. We want to make sure that we build relationships with corporate partners and afford them the brand platform to meet their strategic objectives.”

Reflecting on the League’s growth, Skeene noted the organisation began in a small office in St James with one sponsor and has now grown into an organisation with eight employees, four knockout tournaments, senior and youth divisions, a website and television coverage while attendances have grown considerably.

With regards to the Pro Bowl competition, Skeene said even though some may see it as the end of the season, it is in fact the beginning of a new and exciting phase of the history of professional football in T&T.

Skeene also expressed gratitude to Digicel for sharing the dream and for understanding the purpose and mission of the Pro League.

He boasted: “This is the indisputable fact and message - through football and the Digicel Pro League, you can earn an honest living, you can save and invest, you can own a car and a home, you can strive for excellence.

“The Pro League and its clubs are entrepreneurial role models”, added Skeene.  Skeene also expressed condolences to Guardian Media Limited’s Kelvin Nancoo on the death of his brother, Kenwyn ‘Boom’ Nancoo, who died  earlier this month in the USA. “I played against Boom in Inter-Col. He was an avid sports enthusiast, adversary and coach.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Pro League on the up says Skeene.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:07:20 AM »
A former national midfielder, Skeene said he drew his conclusion while reflecting on the state of the League earlier in the day.

I would like to see Skeene outline the particulars that made him reach that conclusion.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »

“The League will also be on television and radio and our players, fans and supporters will be able to follow the matches on both.” Skeene noted that through these initiatives the Pro League has not only survived, it has thrived.

Ah think Skeene has been saying de same thing for de past 2 years now...yet how many League games have been televised?
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 09:14:49 AM »
It is up to the clubs not skeene!

what are they doing to get fans for their teams etc.

hopefully they can keep this league going for years to come.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 09:23:36 AM »
It is up to the clubs not skeene!

what are they doing to get fans for their teams etc.

hopefully they can keep this league going for years to come.

Both have a role 2 play
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:17:46 AM »

Ah think Skeene has been saying de same thing for de past 2 years now...yet how many League games have been televised?

You know what's funny... I had to check the date that this thread was made because all of this sounds like a rehash from past years.  The only thing different fuh me is the talk of all the games being televised/broadcasted.  From what you implying though... sounds like that too is a rehash, lol

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:43:34 AM »
Games televised every week on Wi Sports. They rerun games every day. Usually you will get the friday double headers.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 11:28:29 AM »
Games televised every week on Wi Sports. They rerun games every day. Usually you will get the friday double headers.

Thanks man...that's good to know, but what about TV6 coverage of the games? Did that deal fall through? It will be cool if they could cater to the foreign based market as well. If the games were broadcasted on TV6 at least we could get a stream.

You know what's funny... I had to check the date that this thread was made because all of this sounds like a rehash from past years.  The only thing different fuh me is the talk of all the games being televised/broadcasted.  From what you implying though... sounds like that too is a rehash, lol
Seem like everything in de Pro League being rehashed...even its impeccable standard. :-\ 

Thrilling year looms for TT Pro League football
Newsday
Sunday, December 20 2009

THE DIGICEL Pro League continues to show improvement as one of the region’s premier professional leagues following its 2009 calendar.

The League is not only the dominant force in local football, but also at the Caribbean level, holding the current CFU Club Champions W Connection who celebrated their fourth CFU title early this year.

The Pro League was also represented by two of its clubs, W Connection and San Juan Jabloteh in the 2008-2009 CONCACAF Champions’ League Group stage, improving on the previous edition that was represented by one club — Joe Public.

The League headed by Chairman Larry Romany and CEO Dexter Skeene made huge improvements off the pitch as well.

Apart from signing with newest sponsor Digicel, which was able to further promote the League with the mobile company’s advertising aggression and capabilities, the Pro League signed a three-year broadcast arrangement with CCNTV6.

On the pitch fans witnessed the ups and downs of Clubs during a vigorous 2009 that was full of excitement.

The League’s 2009 calendar ended with Joe Public accomplishing a club record of five titles in one season, winning the Digicel League championship, Big Six, Toyota Classic, FA Trophy and the Digicel Pro Bowl, while W Connection and Defence Force snatched the Lucozade Sport Goal Shield and First Citizens Cup respectively.

There have been steady increase crowd attendances through initiatives such as the Super Fridays and Digicel promotions and the League aims to maintain that increase together with community involvement. To do so the League launched the HOPE (Helping Others is a Priority Everyday) community project which is expected to help build relationships between clubs and communities and make the Pro League viable, sustainable and profitable.

“We are committed to further development year after year,” said Pro League CEO Dexter Skeene, in a story on the league’s website.

“And we are very delighted with the progress made over the past year which we have witnessed on and off the pitch. Despite the economic crises worldwide, thanks to our sponsors — most recently Digicel — for their commitment to national development that we were able to take the League a further step.”

This year the League has continued to gain worldwide interest from both players and coaches, from countries such as Japan, Brazil, United States, England, Suriname, Jamaica and Guyana to name some, as well as the continent of Africa.

The 2010 season will kick off in April, and it is expected to be another thrilling year with television coverage, various promotions, community involvement and competitive football as Joe Public puts the CFU Club championship and CONCACAF Champions’ League on their focus whilst defending five titles.

While fellow Pro League outfits San Juan Jabloteh, Caledonia AIA, W Connection, Ma Pau, Defence Force, United Petrotrin and others are hoping for better results next season.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 11:36:51 AM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »
They ever think about inviting a foreign club to play a Pro League best XI? Like Man U going to do against MLS All Stars? I doh know if we could get a big side like that but I sure if we could it would do plenty to boost awareness and so on. Just wondering here.
Victoria concordia crescit

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 08:31:07 PM »
They ever think about inviting a foreign club to play a Pro League best XI? Like Man U going to do against MLS All Stars? I doh know if we could get a big side like that but I sure if we could it would do plenty to boost awareness and so on. Just wondering here.
Good point. Maybe a lower half prem team if we cant attract a top class team

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »

FC Dallas and Atletico Paranaense visited in 2007
New York MetroStars visited in 2005
Dundee visited 2003
Newcastle United visited in 2000

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »

Dundee visited 2003
Thanks.So I guess they tried that. Did they play a "best XI"? Or just individual clubs? Maybe if they played a selection it could highlight local stars. Anyway, what do I know? League attendances are pitiful. Just thinking about what they could do to boost gate receipts.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2011, 08:59:18 PM »

Dundee visited 2003
I guess that's asking a lot when I've never seen a game advertised.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 08:31:10 AM »

Dundee visited 2003
Thanks.So I guess they tried that. Did they play a "best XI"? Or just individual clubs? Maybe if they played a selection it could highlight local stars.

They played both individual clubs and All-Star selections.

After Newcastle came down, Dennis Lawrence had a two-week trial with them and was offered a contract, but had work-permit problems. They were also interested in Carlos.

Sancho had a trial with Dundee and subsequently earned a contract.

Marvin Phillip had a trial with FC Dallas.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 02:14:28 PM »

Dundee visited 2003
Thanks.So I guess they tried that. Did they play a "best XI"? Or just individual clubs? Maybe if they played a selection it could highlight local stars.

They played both individual clubs and All-Star selections.

After Newcastle came down, Dennis Lawrence had a two-week trial with them and was offered a contract, but had work-permit problems. They were also interested in Carlos.

Sancho had a trial with Dundee and subsequently earned a contract.

Marvin Phillip had a trial with FC Dallas.
Ah, so it was a great success. Which explains why they stopped.

1]; } ?>