April 26, 2024, 05:02:38 PM

Author Topic: The Afro Trini.  (Read 4141 times)

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The Afro Trini.
« on: April 03, 2011, 01:32:58 PM »
I read a report once where it was stated that 70% of the Caribbean Afro have some white blood,I wonder what the next 50 years will be for the Afro Trini.Whenever I am in TT I am always surprised at the amount of Dooglars I see,sometimes I cant tell if some people are Indos,Afros or Dooglars.I suspect the Afros will become much less Afros than they are at the moment,it could be a sort of "ethnic cleansing" in a non political way.Afros would slowly be a thing of the past and dooglars would be in,surely that would be a good thing,it would be nice to know the dooglar population of TT.
MORE DOOGLARS PLEASE,might be better for the future of TT.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Afro Trini.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 04:07:47 PM »
I read a report once where it was stated that 70% of the Caribbean Afro have some white blood,I wonder what the next 50 years will be for the Afro Trini.Whenever I am in TT I am always surprised at the amount of Dooglars I see,sometimes I cant tell if some people are Indos,Afros or Dooglars.I suspect the Afros will become much less Afros than they are at the moment,it could be a sort of "ethnic cleansing" in a non political way.Afros would slowly be a thing of the past and dooglars would be in,surely that would be a good thing,it would be nice to know the dooglar population of TT.

Since Indians and Afros have to come together to make a Dougla, it stands to reason that according to your comments Indians will also be 'ethnically cleansed' and become a thing of the past. Do you also believe that would be a good thing for the future of T&T??

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 05:04:21 PM »
Yes Zandolie i believe that would be a good thing for TT as well,I thought it was reasonable for anyone to understand what I meant,why are you splitting hairs. Let us just say that the mix will be good for TT,the thing is the Afro will eventually lose most of their features and may look like some of my cousins,you couldn't tell that they had Afro blood in them.I am sorry if what I posted conveyed the wrong meaning.I read a book by a Pakistani professor and he advocated that their should be inter-marriage between the 2 races,I think he is right and TT could be the Dougla Republic in 50 years time,50 years is a very short time in history,you may even live to see it.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 05:32:02 PM »
Splitting hairs? You used some loaded words like 'ethnic cleansing, so I laid out what I thought was the jist of what you said and asked you to clarify further, instead of jumping down yuh throat.

So yuh saying spread the love around...can't argue with that.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 06:01:39 PM »
My bad Zandolie,ah did say sorry for sending the wrong message and I am pleased yuh didn't jump dong me throat as some others might have done.I think you have put it right mate,"spread the  love"as yuh say.Regards.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
My bad Zandolie,ah did say sorry for sending the wrong message and I am pleased yuh didn't jump dong me throat as some others might have done.I think you have put it right mate,"spread the  love"as yuh say.Regards.

And what happens when most Dougla-Trinis start believing they are racially better than both the Indo & Afro Trinis and start discriminating against them because they are now the majority and in control?

Will the remaining Afro & Indo Trinis be forced to leave the country because they are being discriminated against?
And what about the Syrian, Chinese & other races of Trinis like the original Caribs?
Do they leave the country as well because they are outnumbered and being discriminated against?

And how does all this make T&T a more racially tolerant and progressive country where every creed and race finds an equal place according to our national moto?
 ::)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 09:39:52 AM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »
Frico, I'm not jumping down your throat but how will more Douglars be better off for the future of T&T? What's the point you're trying to make with that statement? Again I'm not trying to start anything here but maybe I missed something somewhere along the line.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K. Le Guin

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 07:09:51 AM »

Had to google the synopsis of dat one

Beetween da book and this  thread I goin with, WTF X 2
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 07:48:33 AM »

In the book, he created a reality where racism did not exist.  The problems was that everyone became the same shade of grey.  No so different that what Frico suggesting.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 10:17:43 AM »

In the book, he created a reality where racism did not exist.  The problems was that everyone became the same shade of grey.  No so different that what Frico suggesting.

So I guess what Frico's saying, is that more dooglar's will erradicate racism and will ultimately lead to a better T&T.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 10:21:37 AM »

So I guess what Frico's saying, is that more dooglar's will erradicate racism and will ultimately lead to a better T&T.

Did not work out so in the book. The solution had its drawbacks.  But in theory, it would have to apply to all races, not just two.  But mankind being what it is, will find other reasons to discriminate if race disappears as an issue.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:30:17 AM by pecan »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 10:25:30 AM »
Race is only but one factor, it go always have some kinda ism and schism. Tribalism, Classism, Elitism, Rankism, Sexism etc. Den yuh always have good old religion.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 10:28:45 AM »

Did not work out so in the book.

Didn't Hitler had a similar vision once upon a time?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »
Race is only but one factor, it go always have some kinda ism and schism. Tribalism, Classism, Elitism, Rankism, Sexism etc. Den yuh always have good old religion.
Exactly!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »

yea, I modified my post to say this.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 11:48:12 AM »

Did not work out so in the book.

Didn't Hitler had a similar vision once upon a time?

Exactly! Lets eliminate all Jews, Blacks & anyone else who don't look like us the superior race from our country and then from the rest of the world! That worked out well didn't it?! World Wars I & II to be exact!
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 01:55:36 PM »
and too besides everybody know de light skin douglas better de dark ones :whistling:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 02:57:47 PM »
and too besides everybody know de light skin douglas better de dark ones :whistling:

and the travesaou better than all ah dem still  ;D

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 04:32:18 PM »
I read a report once where it was stated that 70% of the Caribbean Afro have some white blood,I wonder what the next 50 years will be for the Afro Trini.Whenever I am in TT I am always surprised at the amount of Dooglars I see,sometimes I cant tell if some people are Indos,Afros or Dooglars.I suspect the Afros will become much less Afros than they are at the moment,it could be a sort of "ethnic cleansing" in a non political way.Afros would slowly be a thing of the past and dooglars would be in,surely that would be a good thing,it would be nice to know the dooglhr population of TT.

Frico,
              i trying to understand you. You are saying that it would be nice to see more Douglahs in the country. I have no problem with that at all. Ishows and has always been the case that the Trinidadians of Africans and East Indians descent who decided to live, marry, cohabitate and procreate has always been free to do that dispite oppostion in subtle ways. I know from my experience living in St. Joseph in the 60s/70s there were little or no oppostion to that by the people families. But then you saying that Afros will become  less and will that be a good thing? I don't understand you. You have a problem with Afros? What it is about Africans that you fear?

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 05:49:55 PM »
I read a report once where it was stated that 70% of the Caribbean Afro have some white blood,I wonder what the next 50 years will be for the Afro Trini.Whenever I am in TT I am always surprised at the amount of Dooglars I see,sometimes I cant tell if some people are Indos,Afros or Dooglars.I suspect the Afros will become much less Afros than they are at the moment,it could be a sort of "ethnic cleansing" in a non political way.Afros would slowly be a thing of the past and dooglars would be in,surely that would be a good thing,it would be nice to know the dooglhr population of TT.

Frico,
              i trying to understand you. You are saying that it would be nice to see more Douglahs in the country. I have no problem with that at all. Ishows and has always been the case that the Trinidadians of Africans and East Indians descent who decided to live, marry, cohabitate and procreate has always been free to do that dispite oppostion in subtle ways. I know from my experience living in St. Joseph in the 60s/70s there were little or no oppostion to that by the people families. But then you saying that Afros will become  less and will that be a good thing? I don't understand you. You have a problem with Afros? What it is about Africans that you fear?

Maybe it’s their creativity, talent & strength to overcome, who knows?
Seeing that Africans were the original people of the planet according to scientists, many folks may feel uncomfortable with the fact that their DNA can be traced back to relatives who migrated from Africa. In fact some folks can’t bear that thought.

Will be interesting to hear his explanation of what he’s so afraid of that forced him to start this thread.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 05:53:46 PM by Socapro »

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 06:52:19 PM »
On Sunday night I was listening to a Trini Radio on-line,I only just got the end  of the program,it was Wack radio and the DJ said lets show love to each other while there was a bit of banter with another bloke,before he signed off he said"more dooglars please" followed by some playfull laughter.It appears I am not the only one who feels that way,I dont know if the DJs were Afro or Indo,the funny thing is I had just made the post about Trinidad and the dooglar post.I still feel that in 50 years time we will see a greater population of dooglars in TT.
Someone brought up a good point about the Douglars may feel superior to both Indos and Afros,I would like to know if that is their present behaviour,I dont think we should assume what may happen in 30 or 50 years time.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 07:14:39 PM »
Socapro,I have read it again and I must say that it does not sound right,it was badly put and I must be a bit more analytical in future,I can understand if you have a suspicion about my true feelings about Afro Trini,for your sake and everyone else it was an innocent mistake.I have taken what you have said and in future would be more analytical,maybe,I should have said Indos instead of Afros or I could have said that both Indos and Afros would lose some of their visible identities,which could be good for TT in future years.Regards.

truetrini

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 10:12:40 PM »
doh back back on me, doh back back...mout open torie jump out.

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2011, 07:02:14 AM »
Dread...Despite the "spread the love around" conclusion that other more levelheaded than me posters attach to yuh message, fuh me, this has to be the most obnoxious post I have ever read on this forum, and I lurking around here from the very beginning.

Ah mean, yuh start off with the "ethnic cleansing"  ??? of "The Afros", and how somehow that would be better for TnT, and when ah man, perhaps disbelievingly, try to clarify this garbage, yuh accuse him of splitting hairs but then take it up a notch with "the Afros will lose most of their features so the mix will be good for TnT".

Whether or not is a matter of clumsy prose, and despite yuh protestations, to me this post just reveal yuh thought process on race and race relations in TnT, and specifically "The Afros", after all, that is the title of yuh post, and it not positive.

As ah man say " mouth open 'tory jump out"
Two islands are better than one.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 07:20:49 AM »
TC called it long time now.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 10:23:05 AM »
Steups.
These British people good yes, we still dealing with their “legacies” even on SWO.

They create fight between the 2 dominant races.  And we know this but we continue to fight over pebbles.

Same thing happen in Guyana, look what happen to that country.  Like we want that kinda crap in TnT cuz we heading there.

Look what they do in India to the Indians & Pakistanis.
Look at all the civil wars in Africa.
Divide & Conquer

It’s high time to move on.  We pointing fingers at the wrong people
whey boy!

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 10:29:47 AM »
Steups.
These British people good yes, we still dealing with their “legacies” even on SWO.

They create fight between the 2 dominant races.  And we know this but we continue to fight over pebbles.

Same thing happen in Guyana, look what happen to that country.  Like we want that kinda crap in TnT cuz we heading there.

Divide & Conquer

Thank you ProudTrinbagonian!

I think we need you to give that speech on all the radio & TV stations in T&T and to challenge all the folks in T&T politics who are regularly pushing the divide and rule agenda!

As you said we need to learn from the mistakes made in Guyana but is like we want to emulate them by heading down the same road!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 10:32:50 AM »
Steups.

Divide & Conquer

I think we need you to give that speech on all the radio & TV stations in T&T and to challenge all the folks in T&T politics who are regularly pushing the divide and rule agenda!

As you said we need to learn from the mistakes made in Guyana but is like we want to emulate them!

It is absolute nonsense to blame the Brits for the divisions between Indians and Pakistanis (mostly over religion); between the Indians and blacks in Guyana (Jagan vs. Burnham) and Civil Wars in Africa (Congo, Rwanda and now Ivory Coast... just for example, were all French) where ethnic divisions pre-date British/European involvement.  Colonialism plays a big part in the lasting instability we see in former European colonies, but much of these divisions go back centuries, and to the extent that the European powers played a part, it's largely b/c they forced everybody together in the name of nation-building w/o addressing the divisions among the people.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 10:34:23 AM by Bakes »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »
Steups.

Divide & Conquer

As you said we need to learn from the mistakes made in Guyana but is like we want to emulate them!

It is absolute nonsense to blame the Brits for the divisions between Indians and Pakistanis (mostly over religion); between the Indians and blacks in Guyana (Jagan vs. Burnham) and Civil Wars in Africa (Congo, Rwanda and now Ivory Coast... just for example, were all French) where ethnic divisions pre-date British/European involvement.  Colonialism plays a big part in the lasting instability we see in former European colonies, but much of these divisions go back centuries, and to the extent that the European powers played a part, it's largely b/c they forced everybody together in the name of nation-building w/o addressing the divisions among the people.
This is precisely the way I feel about it . We give the Europeans way too much credit. Most of the boundaries of Africa today are still largely influenced by the Conference of Berlin in 1884. These artificial boundaries made no consideration for societies, ethnic divisions or geography for that matter. It shows their ignorance rather than the ingenious social engineering policies. They made decisions out of expedience including some that would have capitalised on pre-existing conflicts.

1]; } ?>