April 18, 2024, 08:33:54 AM

Author Topic: 2011 Carifta Games.  (Read 11483 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Carifta Games.
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2011, 05:30:17 PM »
he ran a good race from lane 8  ....

maybe is my eyes... but I thought he cross first.  ???

I looked very close to me!!!

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 07:03:29 PM »
T&T wins the last two golds of the night. Bah 4x4 get's DQ so T&T wins and our Triple jumper wins gold.   

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 04:51:20 AM »
Barbados really has stepped up their game. Well done to them. Congrats to all of our athletes I hope you keep it up and strive to improve. Trini_2014 I think both Michelle and kai were carrying injuries again that's why they withdrew from the 200 and prob concentrated on the relay. That's also why Jamaica gave us such a beating.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 09:51:42 AM »
Barbados really has stepped up their game. Well done to them. Congrats to all of our athletes I hope you keep it up and strive to improve. Trini_2014 I think both Michelle and kai were carrying injuries again that's why they withdrew from the 200 and prob concentrated on the relay. That's also why Jamaica gave us such a beating.

JA has always given us a beating in this TF meet. If my memory serves me right, we have never top the medals chart. Correct me if I am wrong. JA has probably won all 40 edition. Of course they have the talent pool. But they love TF and are committed. Now look at TT. I don't want to bring race in the topic. But who participate mostly in TF in this country. And to make matters worse, we have the second biggest population in the English WI and our talent pool for TF is like the smaller island. B'dos use their 1/2 mill, more effectively than we use our 1.3 mill. But I saw some real good prospects in the boys. Cedeno, Atiba, Landeau and a shot put or javelin. The girls still struggling. Our TF admin. people are failing the girls. Very few progress. We must do more for our female athletes. But all the best and congrats to the whole team.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2011, 11:07:19 AM »
Esp the under 17 girls they need serious help. I see that tall slim girl who competes in the sprints has some potential. If she gets a bigger stride pattern and quicker turnover rate she can do damage. The taller sprinters both males and females need to take a leaf out of usain bolts book. Of course he is a natural talent BUT he wouldn't have been the record holder in the 100 unless certain things were improved on.  Yes I agree the whole country needs to be involved-if we managed to get the Indian community a lot more involved the talent would be immense. West Indies cricket is at low- time to move to track and field. However it is Trinidad and nothing will be done by those who have the authority and position to be heard and get things done...

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2011, 12:08:20 PM »
His running style man
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/SAnsfqzppG0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/SAnsfqzppG0</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
I know his style does not too "athletic". But he young. A good coach can help him. He does not have the blazing speed of a 100 sprinter, but he has the strength, grit and determine for the 400. This good for the 4x400.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
Rohan Walker is the bigger name, but he was barred from Champs for poor grades and seems to have stop training hard.

A fit walker would have won the sprint double. That is why we call him Skywalker!

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2011, 03:08:39 PM »

I hope yuh realize that Jamaica smashed the old record here.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 04:23:58 AM »

Yeh willi I fully know that but you had a team to do that. Let's compare- on first leg Chris. Williams beats our girl hands down. She then had a better pass to deandre to give her a few metres on Michelle. Deandre ran her heart out stayed with Michelle for most of the leg you then you could see Michelle having the upper hand just towards the latter stages then deandre injured herself but soldiered through to still give a great hand off. Your third leg wins. Our third leg runs more 400(hurdles) lost some speed. And shericka is a top anchor as she showed at the champs. But you could blatantly see the big strap on kai selvon leg- she didn't even try. Had she or Michelle not been injured I dare say it would have been a much much closer race between us.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2011, 05:32:03 AM »

as others step up,it looks like we stepping down.we move to 4th on the medal table now.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2011, 12:04:18 PM »

Yeh willi I fully know that but you had a team to do that. Let's compare- on first leg Chris. Williams beats our girl hands down. She then had a better pass to deandre to give her a few metres on Michelle. Deandre ran her heart out stayed with Michelle for most of the leg you then you could see Michelle having the upper hand just towards the latter stages then deandre injured herself but soldiered through to still give a great hand off. Your third leg wins. Our third leg runs more 400(hurdles) lost some speed. And shericka is a top anchor as she showed at the champs. But you could blatantly see the big strap on kai selvon leg- she didn't even try. Had she or Michelle not been injured I dare say it would have been a much much closer race between us.

Fair enough, but you do realize that Deandre was just coming back from injury herself. You dont see the real Deandre yet!!! Also the 3rd leg, Celia Walters is our slowest and has poor baton technique.

Still your point is valid, you have 2 high quality runners there.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »

JA has always given us a beating in this TF meet. If my memory serves me right, we have never top the medals chart. Correct me if I am wrong. JA has probably won all 40 edition. Of course they have the talent pool. But they love TF and are committed. Now look at TT. I don't want to bring race in the topic. But who participate mostly in TF in this country. And to make matters worse, we have the second biggest population in the English WI and our talent pool for TF is like the smaller island. B'dos use their 1/2 mill, more effectively than we use our 1.3 mill. But I saw some real good prospects in the boys. Cedeno, Atiba, Landeau and a shot put or javelin. The girls still struggling. Our TF admin. people are failing the girls. Very few progress. We must do more for our female athletes. But all the best and congrats to the whole team.

Bermuda won the first Carifta Games in 1972 (they hosted) and Bahamas won 3 or 4 in the early 1980s. Jamaica has won all the rest.

Update. Forgive me for spreading wrong info...here is the correct story:

Just four countries have won the CARIFTA Track and Field Championships. They are Jamaica, The Bahamas, Bermuda and Martinique.
Jamaica is staggering under the weight of its accomplishments at the CARIFTA level. That country has only been beaten five times. After winning the first three, Bermuda slipped into first in 1975. Then, Jamaica notched four more consecutive wins before The Bahamas took over for two straight years in 1980 and 1981.
Jamaica regained supremacy in 1982 but Martinique rose to the top in 1983 and The Bahamas bounced back in 1984.
On the strength of three victories within the first four years of the decade of the 1980s, The Bahamas can legitimately lay claim to being the best for that period. Jamaica re-claimed the top spot in 1985 and has not looked back since. There has been no need to look back. Jamaica simply established a great divide between itself and all others within the Caribbean region.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:14:01 PM by willi »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2011, 02:07:36 PM »

Fair enough, but you do realize that Deandre was just coming back from injury herself. You dont see the real Deandre yet!!! Also the 3rd leg, Celia Walters is our slowest and has poor baton technique.

Still your point is valid, you have 2 high quality runners there.
I would have loved to seen them fully fit in their best shape-battle it out in the 100m. That would have been mouth watering. Michelle, Deandre, Kai, Allison, V'lonee, Anthonique- Wow. That 11.38 wouldn't have stood a chance.

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »
Still cant get over bahamas winning 3 gold and a bronze in the 100's .... we really have to ship up or get left behind .... we did not do too bad but we are slipping away here ...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2011, 08:58:44 PM »
Still cant get over bahamas winning 3 gold and a bronze in the 100's .... we really have to ship up or get left behind .... we did not do too bad but we are slipping away here ...

Jai, honestly, how could you be surprise by the Baha peeps. After JA, is them, not TT. Theier women have won Olimpic gold. Our women have barely if ever made it to a final event. They have pedigree. We not slipping. We stagnant. B'dos are moving up and may pass us by. We need to dig deep in our pool to get more youngsters. As far as gov't and business involvement. Sigh!!!!!!!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2011, 10:41:01 PM »
This was my 3rd Carifta and d worse the team ever look. On Mon I went Jca zoo and the beach.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2011, 02:07:32 AM »
Still congrats to those who gave their best efforts. But yeh work needs to be done but I kinda expected this with so many u17 moving up to u20 etc. It shows there is work to be done esp u17 girls sprinters and female sprinters in general because apart from Michelle and Kai they're lacking- hurdles in general and just a general strengthening of all events. If breanna can step up it would be nice. She should set  a goal of running under 12- once she done that under 11.9/8 and so forth and work hard towards it. Same for the others.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2011, 05:29:24 AM »
Does NGC still have that Right On Track program? That use to unearth some good talent especially in the rural areas.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2011, 09:03:02 AM »
Does NGC still have that Right On Track program? That use to unearth some good talent especially in the rural areas.

GOOD QUESTION
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2011, 05:43:41 AM »
Carifta Games historical results to 2006:
http://www.gbrathletics.com/ic/cfg.htm

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
This was my 3rd Carifta and d worse the team ever look. On Mon I went Jca zoo and the beach.

You kinda harsh, this team looked "bad" for 2 reasons, our big guns like jehue "graduate" and some u-17 stars graduate to under 20 this year and had to compete with the older u20s.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »

Jai, honestly, how could you be surprise by the Baha peeps. After JA, is them, not TT. Theier women have won Olimpic gold. Our women have barely if ever made it to a final event. They have pedigree. We not slipping. We stagnant. B'dos are moving up and may pass us by. We need to dig deep in our pool to get more youngsters. As far as gov't and business involvement. Sigh!!!!!!!!!

I was a bit alarmed at the results for T&T at CARIFTA. Barbados is the big story for this CARIFTA games. I think this was probably their best performance at the games.

The ultimate difference in medal tally was that T&T slipped up (40 in 2010 and 30 in 2011) and JA slipped up just a little (72 in 2010 and 66 in 2011). This is where BAR and BAH and everyone else capitalized. I believe T&T had the most significant drop in medals, while BAR had the most significant increase.

I dont think BAH is fully ahead of T&T as yet, or ever will be. If you look at the Olympic and World Champs, we are still ahead of them in medal standings, but just barely. What separates T&T and BAH, is their program seems more holistic. Their medal tally from Olympic and World champs comes from more categories than T&T.  Even their medal tally between women and men is much more equal. While T&T medal tally is disproportionate.  All of T&T medals have come from the men except for the 1 by J Lucas.

However, you heard it from me first. T&T women will have a good 4x100 this year. They should finish in top 5 or maybe 6 if things go as plan. Only thing is they need to work on their exchanges.

T&T track and field has one similarity with T&T football. It lacks diversity,in a specialization/skill sense. For example lots of strikers, not enough midfield and defence. In track we have mainly 100m, and 200m athletes. Not enough 1/4 milers, or athletes in the more technical events (hurdles, long jump and field events).

Although, the CARIFTA games may  have alarmed some of us, things are on pace for T&T to have a good World Champs.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 09:21:02 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2011, 05:01:27 PM »
T&T track and field has one similarity with T&T football. It lacks diversity (not in a racial/ethnic sense) but in an event sense. T&T have enough 100m, and 200m athletes. Not enough 1/4 milers, or athletes in the more technical events (hurdles, long jump and field events).

:thumbsup:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2011, 10:20:30 PM »
Aware of d graduations and d move up in age group but is still d worse we look in 3 yrs.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
Aware of d graduations and d move up in age group but is still d worse we look in 3 yrs.

Yeah. It was not good. We need more recruitment and track and field competitions. More interest. The talent pool is there.

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2011, 04:24:27 AM »
TNT has a good amount of 400m runners!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2011, 08:23:26 AM »

I could only name two. We might not even have a 4x400 for world champs.

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2011, 04:15:46 PM »
Quality not quantity is what we need. Although a lot of quality would be nice hehe. We have a good number of up and coming and those not attaining what they are more than capable of doing. But yes diversity is needed esp. in those technical events-but I always said this... I want the girls to step up. That is why when I see Michelle/kai/kernesha I just support them to the fullest. We would have a better team if they did. But yes more integration of races of our country to the sport and the support of the country for our athletes would boost it as well. So many things...

Offline willi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2012, 04:55:18 AM »

I could only name two. We might not even have a 4x400 for world champs.

See it there now. Unno have Lalonde Gordon, Jehue Gordon, Renny Quow, Rondel Sorillo, Deon Lendore, Jarrin Solomon, Machel Cedenio...

1]; } ?>