April 28, 2024, 07:20:26 PM

Author Topic: TIM CLAMPS DOWN  (Read 2958 times)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
TIM CLAMPS DOWN
« on: April 07, 2011, 06:06:49 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/TIM_CLAMPS_DOWN-119375599.html

Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh has issued a directive to all principals, "with immediate effect", to cease holding any extra-curricular activities, sporting events and corporate-sponsored events during school hours. He said the schools will have to first get the Ministry of Education's approval for such events.

Gopeesingh made the announcement while addressing the closing of the National Consultation on the Primary School Curriculum at the Cascadia Hotel in St Ann's. He told stakeholders at the event that in three months last year, there were 26 holidays for various reasons, which was taking too much time away from classes. He said in order to optimise class hours, he was directing that extra-curricular events can no longer be held during school hours.

"Now, all these CEOs (chief executive officers) and NGOs (non-governmental organisations) and corporate bodies and corporate entities, and all these primary schools cricket league and secondary schools cricket league and football league and so on, I have no difficulty with that. But don't take the children out of the classroom," Gopeesingh said.

"You have your competitions and so on, (but) you could manage (them) on a weekend."

Gopeesingh also announced he was putting a stop to the events organised by corporate bodies during school hours.

"All these corporate bodies who want to have a spelling bee competition here and a debating society there, and you're taking the children with the teachers out of the school time, I think that should be a thing of the past. So I have become autocratic in this respect. I have indicated that with immediate effect, probably about three weeks or four weeks ago, I ceased all of that," the minister said.

He said corporate bodies were self-serving when they hosted these events.

"This competition and that competition and taking the teachers away and taking the students away, of what benefit (is that)? We know where we are going, we know where we are in education, we know where we want to go.

"So if a corporate body wants to do something in education, they do it for their personal gain and benefit...to say 'look, this is a corporate body, and I am doing this in education,'" the Minister stated.

Gopeesingh said he will soon meet with 200 corporate bodies and NGOs to inform them of his decision. He said any school wanting to host such events in the future must get prior approval from the ministry.

"Any principal or supervisor here today, we want to ensure that whatever comes to you for application or anything, you send them to the ministry (first)," he said.

Gopeesingh said many events must now be shifted to weekends or after school hours, including the district consultations that the ministry wants to have with teachers and students.

However, Trinidad and Tobago Unified Teachers Association (TTUTA) president Roustan Job, who was also at the event, said Gopeesingh was seeking to take away the discretion of principals. He said TTUTA planned to raise the issue with the minister.

"The principals are supposed to have a certain autonomy in the schools, and the minister has to tread carefully because you are going to demoralise school principals, and you can't do that. So we may have to speak to him about that," Job said.

He warned the minister that teachers would not be willing to give up their weekends to attend programmes, and the ministry should reconsider this position.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TIM CLAMPS DOWN
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 06:27:41 AM »
MADNESS!!!!  Tim is a big jackarse.....WTH is that.... What is education?  It is not only books, it must include extra curricular activities.  I hope TTUTA really make a big fuss about this.  This guy running an autocratic ship, but at least he say that.  So when they firing, start with he fuss....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 07:23:30 AM »
I'm not an educator but I know teachers use weekends to mark papers and prepare the next week's lessons. Its not fair to unilaterally make a decision like that without considering all the implications.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:37:38 AM by Jah Gol »

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 07:25:29 AM »
Pure  cu ntholery... unadulterated jackarseness

I dont know what else to say  >:(
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 07:36:30 AM »
The UNC/COP/Nizam/Sat/Kamla/  "Is We Time" agenda in full effect.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 07:48:42 AM »
Not enough time in de curriculum fuh spelling bee and "extra-curricular" stuff... but plenty time fuh more religious edumacation.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 08:48:55 AM »
D day before he spoke about d need 4 extra curriculum activities. D  next dat he shuts it down. D RANTINGS OF A MADDDDDD MANNNNNNNNN.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 08:56:48 AM »
this man (like others) on a serious power trip....

anyways, sharpen the pitch forks and oil up the torches yes.

"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »
 ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
Meh mudder always tell meh if you doh have anything good to say bout someone keep quiet
Meh fadder always tell meh speak yuh mind quietly and clearly but doh put water in meh mouth to tell somebody haul dey mudder c**t....

Mr. Go pee singh........in the words of the Acting PM... why yuh eh ask yuhhhh yuh yuh yuh yuh yuh yuh

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 11:12:22 AM »

teachers need time to ress after all the licks they collecting on the regular
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 11:29:23 AM »
students typically participate in numerous extracurricular activities not just the one...when you lump everything in a weekend u asking them to pull out of one for the sake of another...that in itself wud b a problem...wat about those teachers\students that observe the sabath? is thru activities that students bcome leaders in the school and communities etc...gopissing actin like is d whole flippin school dey does liff up and carry wherever...and teachers cover for when one has to leave on duty that is normal...if there is a problem with that then tighten up on that...hmm..this man eh...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 03:08:26 PM »
Tim is really a head case you know. Coming up in the maxi just now I hear him on the radio. One of the hosts of the show ask the Minister to clarify some statements he made where last week he said that schools would have to teach religion and this week he said that school would have to teach about religion. Tim tell the man to go in the dictionary and read the meaning religion and that he is conducting the interview unprofessionally and rude. This time the man him just the clarify specifically what is meant by the statement.

Exchange wouldna be so bad , we really change bad for worse I feel.

truetrini

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 04:25:23 PM »
Gopissing is using this to punish teachers and the children will suffer most.

Gopissing is way off mark here. WAY OFF! Plenty research proves that participation in extracurricular activities reinforces what is taught in the classroom via real lworld context. what is happening is that through extra curricula activities, students begin to increase their sense of engagement to their schools, just look at the pride and spirit de corps that is developed during a sporting event!!! This attachment decreases drop out rates and school failure. Additionally, students participatiing in extra curricula activities have better test scores, attend college/university at higher levels that students not aprticipating. What Gopeesingh wants to achieve and what he WILL achieve are two separate things. He is trying to control teachers, and taking it our on the students...he is an ass.See More

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 04:46:03 PM »
Just wanted to point out that the article says that the extracurricular activities would be discontinued during school hours. So if you had an activity, it would just have to be after school. allyuh making a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm sure some arrangement could be made for your normal school sports etc.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 05:15:45 PM »
Just wanted to point out that the article says that the extracurricular activities would be discontinued during school hours. So if you had an activity, it would just have to be after school. allyuh making a mountain out of a molehill.

Bitter everybody understand what was said... think about it just a little more nah
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
We neva taught we woulda miss Esther.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »

Bitter everybody understand what was said... think about it just a little more nah

I could have as much indignation as the next man, but people projecting adverse outcomes for students.
Now if you want to argue that is a power grab, removing decision making from the local level and placing it in the ministry, then I with yuh. But a lot of extracurricular activities take place outside of school hours and will remain unaffected by this. The question I would need answers are:
1. What types of extracurricular activities take place during school hours
2. What is the involvement of the corporate entities.

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »

I could have as much indignation as the next man, but people projecting adverse outcomes for students.
Now if you want to argue that is a power grab, removing decision making from the local level and placing it in the ministry, then I with yuh. But a lot of extracurricular activities take place outside of school hours and will remain unaffected by this. The question I would need answers are:

Bitter de man say he stopping spelling bee, debates etc.  and yes he is stripping a lot of autonomy from principals, this is vindictive as he ahs an ongoing feud with several principals..he is a ka-ka hole.   

You really feel teachers going to stay after school for no more pay or on their weekends as he suggests?

He is a damn ass and makiong a power grab..bad for the children.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »

There are many extra curricular activities that takes place during school that may require students and/or teachers to attend in school or away from school. Extra curricular activities does not only mean sports.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 09:08:25 PM »
Everybody saying "there are many" name a few. My extracurricular activities always took place after school, and no, they were not sports. My spelling bee used to come every Friday morning, and yuh didn't win nothing, but yuh get licks if you miss a word. I used to try to debate why licks was a bad thing, but I loss every one.  >:(

The man might be an ass, and this move is ah asshole move, but I want more information. not speculation about who will not stay late, and how students will suffer because Courts cyah sponsor they spelling bee.

truetrini

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 09:44:07 PM »
Hey, Tim g clai  mis quote, and mis understanding asap...den he go produce some written explanationa nd it go be de press fault we eh understand him...watch this space.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 08:41:55 AM »
He chatting nonesense. A substitute teacher programme was started to deal wit these type of teacher absences. However, like evryting else died when he assume d position as Min of Ed.

I want to know what he plan to do wit dem SEA chirrren for the upcoming term who would have been involve in all kind of extra curriculum activities as they await results.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 11:26:46 AM »
Everybody saying "there are many" name a few. My extracurricular activities always took place after school, and no, they were not sports. My spelling bee used to come every Friday morning, and yuh didn't win nothing, but yuh get licks if you miss a word. I used to try to debate why licks was a bad thing, but I loss every one.  >:(

The man might be an ass, and this move is ah asshole move, but I want more information. not speculation about who will not stay late, and how students will suffer because Courts cyah sponsor they spelling bee.

Because the best way to move forward is to keep walking backwards.....right.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 02:40:19 PM »
You know religeous studies can be taught at little expense. Now that everybody has a laptop, the gov't broacasting service can hire a religeous teacher everyday to teach religeon. They would not have to hire all them religeous teachers.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Dr Tim: No ban on extra-curricular activities
...Get written permission first
Published: Thu, 2011-04-07 22:51
http://guardian.co.tt/news/2011/04/07/dr-tim-no-ban-extra-curricular-activities

Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh and Health Minister Therese Baptiste-Cornelis at the post-Cabinet news conference at the Office of the Prime Minister in St Clair yesterday. Photo: Shirley Bahadur
Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh says there are no plans to curtail extra-curricular activities in the nation’s schools. He said, however, written permission for those activities must be given by his ministry.
Gopeesingh said that during yesterday’s post-Cabinet news conference at the Office of the Prime Minister in St Clair. He said the move was being implemented to ensure that students get the maximum amount of time to study during school hours. Gopeesingh said research done at certain unnamed school between September and December last year revealed that “there were 26 half-days of no teaching of the students.” He said that was the result of denominational boards taking time out for their retreats and principal holidays.

He said teaching time was also being taken away by projects organised by corporate bodies, NGOs, CBOs and faith-based organisations. He said the projects were “creating some chaos and confusion in the (education) system and were taking away students and teachers from the schools from their valued time of teaching and learning.” Gopeesingh said those practices must cease “until we meet with the corporate bodies and entities to ensure that there is congruence with what they are doing and the ministry’s strategic plan.” He said recently a school from central Trinidad went abroad for a cricket game and no permission was granted for it. He said the ministry was responsible for the students on international travel.

Gopeesingh said his ministry was intent on ensuring there are extra-curricular activities in schools. He said such activities must be supervised by teachers at the school. He said physical education and the visual and performing arts  are to be incorporated in the curriculum. Gopeesingh said denominational boards have been informed of the performance of their respective schools in the Secondary Entrance Assessment exam. He said information from the past five years were given to the boards to indicate the need for improvements to ensure better results. Gopeesingh then raised the issue of religious education being taught in schools. He said his ministry wanted teachers to “to teach about religion, not religion.” He stressed that there was a difference.

Gopeesingh said he would heed the call of local newspapers which had advised that he “thread carefully” with that matter. He said, however, that he had not received any requests from the media for more information about the proposal. In clarifying the matter yesterday, Gopeesingh said teaching about religion in T&T was not new. He said religious personnel from the various faiths visited the schools to teach about religion but the programme was not being done on a sustained basis. He said the measure was aimed at “ensuring that our children are aware of the spiritual  and cultural diversity that is the hallmark of the unity country in which we live.”

truetrini

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »
he back back....I saw him live on TV and dais NOT what he said originally.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
BTW  ah wonder if Tim go give he gyul ah wok now that she no longer in the SIA.

1]; } ?>