April 28, 2024, 02:46:04 PM

Author Topic: Sports and paying for school  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sports and paying for school
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:52:30 AM »
Looking for some advice or info from experienced parents. What does one look for when considering scholarship offers from universities as a parent and student. are there things we should be aware of (promises etc that will not materialize).

Any info would be appreciated.

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sports and paying for school
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 06:11:11 AM »
Look at the academic standard of the university.  Look at the soccer program itself and see what level, conference and rankings (if they were ever ranked).  Also, weather could be a factor if yuh coming from trini.

Coaches will say anything to get you to sign that letter of intent b/c once you do, you belong to them.  Fortunately, it looks as though your son/daughter might have multiple options and that is great.  If that is the case, let the coaches all make their pitche and whomever you feel most comfortable with considering the information I listed above, make your choice. 

One caution though, my college coach said all the right things and when I signed all was good, until I got hurt during the preason.  My first year was so tough, I even considered transferring, however, once my injuries were healed and my performance spoke for itself, everything changed whereby "I" had control and he didn't.

Morale of the story, it's all about the coach, the resources of the college/university and your son/daughter's performance level.

Hope this helps.

Arimian to meh heart

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 06:32:09 AM »
This is not to boast just my experience ( :beermug:)

I came to the US in the 90's, having won the Nemwil national 5k, Medaled in Carifta twice, holding the 1500m on lock for a while, high finishes in the Sunshine Marathon, Amoco 10k, Marabella Mile, OECS half marathon. I scored 1480 on the SAT's and was offered a scholarship academic/athletic scholarship by Coppin State University. They were Division 1 under an olympic Jamaican coach, and they competed in the Meac. (Cleopatra Borrel and Ian Roberts came out of that program)

Here is my 2 cts.
1) I did not do enough research, always do your research, there are many blogs, maps, yelp, this and that you can look at to give you a general idea of where your college ranks, college life and how strong their degrees rank.

2) I looked at their booklet and saw it was a black college, so I wanted to keep it real and embrace my blackness, big mistake, college was in "da hood" many Homicide: Life on the Streets were filmed there for a reason. This was the latter end of the Crack years, STD's etc.

3) The building had many "intended and upcoming features" but these structures did not actually exist. Fine print.... we trained a Frederick Douglass High (since we had an intended track) near Mondawmin Mall and you did not want to be there after dark.

4) Look at what is the homecoming sport that is celebrated, usually this is the sport program that makes the most money and the sport that the university will pump all their money into. (this is if you want your kid to play sports)

5) Make sure that you have everything in writing eg full tuition is different from cost per/semester. A college offers you a full tuition vs cost per semester, means that if you have been offered a dollar amount per semester, that dollar amount will remain the same for the 4 years., it does not include inflation. That comes out from your pocket. Always find out what the fees are also, books and housing. Some colleges only offer housing for the semesters, so make sure when the dorms close, they have place to stay. If they get homesick, doh be flying dem back and forth. Always alert them to where the nearest embassy is...

6) Get to know the student organizations, the international student associations are always a great help, in settling in and making friends.

7) Above all maintain a good GPA.

8) many universities will promise you a lot, but in de end make sure you know and understand what they are offering you.

9) Warm temperatures also means a lesser diverse wardrobe... and is cheeper in some sense.

10) if they want to play sports make sure the facilities are up to date, like de gym and thing..

11) Internships are very important... that trip to trini or rome does be nice... but a resume with out any experience eh worth nutten.

2 years later on an internship, (I was getting nuff licks by dem africans, In tnt I was a big fish in a small pool, in the US, I was a minnow) I was offered a transfer to Johns Hopkins University (full tuition) the experience was like night and day. Hop was very academic, but I enjoyed playing soccer and football (kicker) at Div 3, no scholarship money for those sports but well funded. Having a Hopkins degree and a decent GPA allowed me to get jobs that I would not have gotten if I stayed at Coppin. I served in the military then attended Georgetown University and that was also a great experience. Hop and the Hoyas allowed me to rub shoulders with many influential people, people like "Jim Kimsey" who became my mentor. My financial advisor is a kid who I attended college with, My lawyer is a guy who is a Hoyas graduate. I met my wife who is a Hop graduate... also...

I will advocate going to a ranked college, be it in academic disciplines or in general.

This is just my experience...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 07:57:30 AM by Daft Trini »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 07:32:08 AM »
Very informative..appreciate the fact you bothered to write...thanks

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:51:57 AM »
The suggestions made were all very astute but still run second fiddle to THE most important thing of all....
Make sure that the college is within distance of a good Roti shop. When dat cold breeze hit and yuh start singing Lauren doh cry ah leavin... ah good Roti will be enough to make you stop, add more pepper sauce and rip up dat plane ticket back to the land of fun, sun and gunshots!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 08:16:44 AM »
The suggestions made were all very astute but still run second fiddle to THE most important thing of all....
Make sure that the college is within distance of a good Roti shop. When dat cold breeze hit and yuh start singing Lauren doh cry ah leavin... ah good Roti will be enough to make you stop, add more pepper sauce and rip up dat plane ticket back to the land of fun, sun and gunshots!
LMAO  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Arimian to meh heart

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 08:51:09 AM »
1. Know what you want to study

2. Pick a geographical area that suits you i.e. if you have family on the east coast don't go to school on the west coach or deep in the mid-west. You will need that support.

3. Do well academically. The better student you are the more money you will get academically. All coaches operate on a budget if you are a strong student they will push for you to get the maximum amount you can through academics first then supplement the difference with Athletic money.

4. Know your dream. Do you see yourself embarking on a professional soccer career? Be realistic. If that is your goal then school choice is more important. You have to market yourself. We Trinis have this false representation painted of us that we are not hard working and that is because we like to have fun. So be wary of who your coach is.

5. Meet your coach....more often than not your first impresssion is correct. Trust your instincts. Remeber if it sounds too good to be true... then it probably is...

6. Meet the players on the team and ask questions...find out what they think about the coach...does he know the game? ...can he teach you? is he one of those jackarses who yells and screams constantly?  what kind of environment does he create? what are his expectations for his players?
If you have an average or sub average first year what are the consequences? would he require you to try out for the following season.
Is he capable of taking your game to the next level?

Just a few things for consideration and they can be applied to any sport.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 09:02:05 AM »
Oh couple more very important things.....
If  you are asked if Trinidad and Tobago is in Africa the answer is yes....west africa right between guinea and senegal.....then smile politely and say for some reason people always think it's in South Africa.

Jumbie......tell your son...that the next uh hmmm is de bess uh hmmm and that he has to know the difference in women as there are two kinds a) those you sleep with and b) those you marry

and yes they do love how Trini does tork tork tork tork

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 09:03:26 AM »
Looking for some advice or info from experienced parents. What does one look for when considering scholarship offers from universities as a parent and student. are there things we should be aware of (promises etc that will not materialize).

For what it's worth there's no such thing as a four-year scholarship... just a scholarship, renewable every year for four years.  This means that at the end of every academic year the coach can approach the kid and say "you might want to look into opportunities elsewhere."  So be sure to have a contingency plan going in, and keep it updated on the regular.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 10:44:43 AM »
Oh couple more very important things.....
If  you are asked if Trinidad and Tobago is in Africa the answer is yes....west africa right between guinea and senegal.....then smile politely and say for some reason people always think it's in South Africa.

Jumbie......tell your son...that the next uh hmmm is de bess uh hmmm and that he has to know the difference in women as there are two kinds a) those you sleep with and b) those you marry

and yes they do love how Trini does tork tork tork tork

:rotfl: Allyuh like real shit yes...everytime I'm ask that question I does say no, we're right next to Austrailia cuz I ain want tuh be classified wid most ah dem Africian men on dis campus. From de time dey see ah brother with ah ting, dem fellas does try anyting tuh get she attention cuz dey figure she like brothers. Sometimes yuh in de club and leave she to go to de bar and come back, dem men done initiating conversation and ting yes lol

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 10:47:09 AM »

For what it's worth there's no such thing as a four-year scholarship... just a scholarship, renewable every year for four years.  This means that at the end of every academic year the coach can approach the kid and say "you might want to look into opportunities elsewhere."  So be sure to have a contingency plan going in, and keep it updated on the regular.

Yes what Bakes said is very true. I've seen players loose their scholarships for lack of performance on the field, academics, indiscipline, etc. You have to earn it every year.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:27:10 PM »
Thanks for the info.. very helpful. Draft, are you a pleasantville man?

1]; } ?>