April 25, 2024, 08:53:22 PM

Author Topic: Stoke striker Kenwyne Jones pleased to end goal drought  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Stoke striker Kenwyne Jones pleased to end goal drought
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:16:12 AM »
Stoke striker Kenwyne Jones pleased to end goal drought
BBC Sport

Stoke striker Kenwyne Jones believes luck deserted him in front of goal before netting for the first time in three months at Tottenham on Saturday.

"At the beginning of the season, no matter what I hit, it was going in," the £8m striker told BBC Radio Stoke.

"Then you go into a period where you have the same half-chances, that you think might go in, not going for you."

Jones scored for the first time since 1 January but could not prevent the Potters losing 3-2 at White Hart Lane.
"My performances have been picking up over the last six weeks or so and I think it's the pinnacle of that," added the Trinidad and Tobago international.

Jones scored four times in his first six matches for the Potters after his record move from Sunderland in August, but has found goals harder to come by since the opening weeks of the season.

All five goals on Saturday came in an enthralling first half, although manager Tony Pulis was unhappy with the way Spurs were allowed to take control of the game.

"We gifted them three very, very poor goals," Pulis told BBC Radio Stoke. "Sometimes we come to these grounds and we stand off people.

"That was certainly the case with one or two of our players in the first 25 minutes.

"We just stood off and watched them play around us, which is just not good enough.

"I thought we did better in the second half and we were always a threat."

Stoke, who are 12th in the Premier League on 38 points, can now turn their attentions to the FA Cup semi-final against Bolton at Wembley on 17 April.

Jones continued: "It's the first [semi-final] in 39 years for the club and the first time for me so I'm looking forward to that.

"It's about the game more than the occasion.

"We're not worried about Bolton, all we're going to do is focus on our game plan and I'm sure Bolton will do the same."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stoke striker Kenwyne Jones pleased to end goal drought
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:21:32 AM »

It was a good hit; nice way to end the drought.

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:24:38 AM »

It was a good hit; nice way to end the drought.

Stunning goal. Ah miss de game dis week. Ah actually watchin the replay as we speak. Cheers KJ. lookin good!
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
'We'll Adopt The Same Approach' - Jones
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:02:39 AM »
'We'll Adopt The Same Approach' - Jones
stokecityfc.co.uk

KENWYNE JONES is confident Stoke City won't let the occasion get the better of them when they take on Bolton in the FA Cup Semi-Final on Sunday.

City have never reached the final of arguably the world's best domestic cup competition in their 148 year long history; a statistic they are eager to rectify in this weekend's showpiece occasion at Wembley Stadium when they will be roared on by 34,000 fans.

Whilst Jones admits the players are desperate to write themselves into the history books, he says it is vital to approach the game in exactly the same way as they would any other match.

"It is my first semi-final and the Club's first in 39 years, so obviously we are all really looking forward to it," said the Trinidad and Tobago international. "It's going to be my first game at Wembley Stadium, but it is more about the game than the occasion.

"We know what is at stake, and we know that the atmosphere in the stadium is going to be unbelievable. We have to just look at it in the same way as we would any other week. It is Stoke v Bolton.

"They have had a fantastic season, and so have we, so it will be about whoever can go out there and be the best team on the day. We have acquitted ourselves well this year so we will be going there confident."

The former Sunderland star was rewarded for his impressive run of form on Saturday by grabbing his first goal in 13 outings.

The striker has played a key role in the Potters campaign thus far having hit the back of the net eight times, and he says he is hoping that remains the case by grabbing a few more goals before the season draws to its climax in under six weeks time.

"It's been a long time coming," he said following the 3-2 defeat at Tottenham. "My performances have been pretty decent for a while, it is just that I haven't been getting the chances to score. I was part of making goals and not scoring them, but thankfully I got one here.

"Helping make goals is not necessarily enough. Any striker will tell you they want to be there at the end scoring goals rather than making them. But we have been winning and getting good results, so at least I could take some satisfaction from that.

"At the start of the season, no matter what I hit, it was going in. Then I got half-chances I thought might go in, but didn't, and it seemed to go downhill from there. But my performances have been picking up for the last six weeks or so.

"Hopefully, I can get myself on the score-sheet a few more times over the next six weeks, and hopefully help the club to a magnificent end of the season."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »
play de fitball

go and enjoy Wembley
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:35:12 AM »
Cool looking goal ... I wonder if he would even keep it on target if the same opportunity came up again ...lol

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:35:19 AM »
Would be good to see him in top form in a FA Cup final. Hope it works out that way.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »
with the left foot too!!

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:18:05 PM »
Cool looking goal ... I wonder if he would even keep it on target if the same opportunity came up again ...lol
He had a similar opportunity later in the game that get push overbars.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 10:38:23 PM »
He had a similar opportunity later in the game that get push overbars.

Well two for two on target guess that answer meh question lemme hush meh mouth now and like big mag does say play de fitball youth!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 10:57:56 PM »
any link?
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

1]; } ?>