April 25, 2024, 05:20:34 AM

Author Topic: Interesting Observation Part 2 / A Serious Analysis!!!!!  (Read 2425 times)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Interesting Observation Part 2 / A Serious Analysis!!!!!
« on: April 10, 2011, 04:23:01 PM »
Saga Pinto

First of all thanks for taking some serious stick on my behalf. I want to clear up some issues raised previously:

1) I did apply for forum membership on-line in 2006 and never got a response from the moderators. I  don't know what happened.

2) I hold no brief for Mr Warner. My reference to “poor Jack” was satirical. Sorry if it was too subtle for some.

Now Saga Pinto, last time, I poke a jep nest by saying that Germany 2006 was a fluke. The English language is a very complicated  thing. Webster's dictionary defines a “fluke” as “a turn of exceptional good luck”. The inference was that we needed a hell of a lot of luck to qualify in 2006. Anybody who disputes that, wasn't really paying attention. Flukes do not repeat themselves often and I want to offer into evidence the following arguments to support the fluke theory.

Before I do this, I want to say something to the very emotional fans on the forum. In most sports, serious  fans spend time analyzing data, statistics and track records in order to have an informed expectation of the team they support. In baseball, fans analyze and compare team and player batting averages, horse racing fans analyze win statistics to estimate betting odds and so on. Football fans by and large live from game to game. If we win, we celebrate. If we lose, we want to cuss the world and mash up de place, which is why we have plenty football hooligans and no baseball or basketball hooligans. So, if what I say causes you to cuss and carry on, QED.

Statistical anomaly:
Statistically, TNT's chances of qualifying for 2014 or any other WC are remote at best. National sport selection, like mortality experience, is a numbers game. Every experienced insurance agent knows that on average, you have to make 15 calls to get 5 interviews to sell 1 policy. Similarly, you need a large pool of players to select the best of the best of the best to compete at the WC level. TNT just doesn't have those numbers to guarantee consistency. Even with a West Indies population of some 6 million, we don't have the numbers to select a consistently strong cricket team to compete on the world stage, which is why we can’t beat crazy ants since the fluke of the Clive Lloyd era ended 30 years ago.

If you want to find 50 world class players to form a team with depth, then you need a pool of a couple hundred really good players to start with, which is why the US created the ODP for youth soccer. According to a recent publication on Canadian sport demographics,  the number of young people registering to play soccer last year has reached 1 million, (about the size of our entire nation), 400,000 more than Canada's other major sport, hockey. I am predicting that the 3 powerhouses in CONCACAF in the next 20 years will be Canada, USA and Mexico. Rather than take their limited resources and waste it on a foreign coach, they have publicly admitted to sacrificing 2014 and 2018 with the hope of dominating the minnows to qualify consistently from 2022 (like the US has from 1990). Don’t just read SWF, check out the bigger picture.

The other statistic that upset forumites was the 20 year prediction. Odds are that TNT will not qualify for another WC in 20 years. Some informed rebuttals to this point from forumites included “bullshit” and “woman talk” Please consider this:

Jamaica's one and only fluke qualification was in 1998, 12 years ago, Canada's was in 1986 France,  24 years ago. Neither country has much of a statistical chance of getting pass both Honduras and Costa Rica in 2013 grab the 3rd spot. The odds of  the winning the play-off game for the other half spot (as Costa Rica found out) are not all that good, especially if we pull South America again. Canada, as I have already pointed out, have recognized this and are strategically focusing on creating a large pool to own that 3rd Concacaf spot from 2022. So where does that leave TNT?

TNT's best chance prior to 2006 was 32 years ago in 1974 when we were robbed in Haiti. 1990 does not count since we were not good enough to get past the US. Close, but no cigar.  While every team walking on to the field (including  Barbados and Bermuda) has a mathematical chance of qualifying, the probability range varies from plus 95% confidence in Brazil (which has qualified for every WC since 1932) to less than 5% confidence in Grenada which has not, and probably will never, ever, ever qualify. Assuming that each of Canada, TNT and Jamaica had a similar theoretical chance of qualifying (each having done it once before), we need to see when this is likely to occur again. If we were to find the average wait period of the 3 Concacaf “one shot” teams to date, it would be (32+12+24) divided by 3 or 22.6 years, ergo 20 years from 2010.

Now, 20 years sounds like a very long time, but it is just another 5 tournaments. If we can qualify 1 in every 5 times, then we are actually doing exceptionally well. There are 16 teams which have qualified only once for the WC and are have not had a second run to date. They are: Dutch East Indies, Senegal, Wales, Ukraine, Cuba, Jamaica, Israel, Kuwait, TNT, Iraq, Togo, Canada, China, Haiti, Zaire, UAE. Their average wait time so far exceeds 40 years. So why get upset if I say TNT will not qualify for another 20 years? I am giving us far better statistical odds than the rest of the other One Hit Wonders of the World. Of these hopefuls, I pick China as the most likely to repeat in 2014.

If TNT does qualify for Brazil 2014 with the present crop of players (inducing the proposed EPL second division  recruits), it will require a bigger fluke (or stroke of really really exceptionally good luck) than in 2006. Based on available statistics, I wouldn't bet on it though.

The truth is that while I am still a  TNT supporter, I try to do so with some intelligence. If the “experts” on this forum are right, then I am nothing more than a madman talking a pile of crap. Time will most certainly tell.

Offline Soccer 19

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Observation Part 2 / A Serious Analysis!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 04:54:22 PM »
Well numbers don't lie. As they say if you can't measure it then you can't manage it. Maybe this is why a 4th spot for Concacaf is being pushed by Jack's team. Great Sunday reading  :wavetowel: The bigger picture is will it be pushed and passed :o

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »
This pontificating fool can't even figure out how to sign up for forum membership, but yet presumes to talk down to the fans on here?  Since when yuh have to "apply" for membership?  And this bullshit about hooliganism... any jackass braying in the dark would know that much of hooliganism is cultural and in itself has very little to do with the sport or whether fans analyze stats. 

In basketball there are examples such as LA where fans took to the streets and rioted, burning cars etc. after the Lakers won the NBA title last year.  The same thing happened in Connecticut when UConn won the NCAA titles in 2004 and last weekend.  In baseball there was rioting in Detroit after the Tigers won the title in 1984, and in Boston after the Red Sox won the title in 2004.  I could even throw in a Hockey reference with regards to rioting when the Detroit Red Wings won NHL title in 2008.  Or is rioting, arson, vandalism and inciting mayhem not "hooligan" behavior?

This jackass focus on everything but that which caused the most opprobrium... his blaming fans "unrealistic" expectations for the failures of the team.  He talks about his "poor Jack" reference being 'satirical' (the word is 'sarcastic', yuh dumbass... not satirical, there was no satire in what you wrote)... and that it may have been too subtle for some.  Yet he fails to appreciate the finely honed sarcasm in "We going Brazil!"  Focus on the beam in your own eye before you deign to point out the speck in others' eyes.

He selectively presents the definition of "fluke" as being an "exceptional turn of luck".  However, any reference to the term also properly incorporates not only an element of luck, but one of accident as well.  There is luck ( good fortune) and there is accidental luck:

–noun
an accidental advantage; stroke of good luck: He got the job by a fluke.

an accident or chance happening.

an accidentally successful stroke, as in billiards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1855–60;  of obscure origin; compare dial. fluke  a guess

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fluke

noun  (plural flukes)

Definition:

1. accidental success: something surprising or unexpected that happens by accident ( informal ) 

http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?lextype=3&search=fluke

Fans were rightly upset at the choice of words.  There was nothing flukish (accidental) about the 2006 qualification, to be sure there were elements of luck but luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.  Show me an "accidental" win in that campaign and yuh might have a case, until then shut yuh ass.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 05:39:54 PM »
Saga Pinto- The fluxe of the Clyde LLoyd Era -Please you know nothing of cricket and that Era so leave Cricket alone. Bennie showed up your premise as flawed and with a good coach third place in Concacaf with third league players in Europe is attainable. Jamaica and T&T need to make their home games count as Jamaica
 has shown in the past and hope to gain some additional  drawn games away from home. That is the strategy  that will get us to a next W/C not the size of the pool.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 06:46:19 PM »
somehow this fella remind of the sports writer fella, and the diamond fella as well...it cyah have so much smart TT supporters who aware ah all them things, who so more intelligent than all the average, and challenged forumites here, yet still they is still supporters too...not realizing one have to really be mad to go with that choice.. ;D  obviously me boy in writing to we like this, thinking the TT support is all about him be proven right or not, when nobody in care if he right or wrong at all, cause it doh matter, that is the sports fan...I think I dun with helping he, enjoy heself...he should submit he thesis for publication, everybody need to know these things

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 07:03:12 PM »
baseball and basketball don't have fans whos are hooligans?????? ??? ???

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
whoever sending saga pinto to write/post this shit brain waves falling well short of the beach!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2011, 10:40:11 PM »
Saga Pinto-
Maybe you need to start being more selective in your choice of friends

or maybe you need to keep your personalities in check

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 10:52:34 PM »
Saga Pinto-

If you are suspicious of him having a split personality then you are not alone!  8)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 11:14:56 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 11:27:05 PM »
Serious analysis ??? The writer clearly doesn't even understand the difference between correlation and causation :-\

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 07:40:59 AM »
How about this for some serious analysis:

WE GOING BRAZIL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »
This pontificating fool can't even figure out how to sign up for forum membership, but yet presumes to talk down to the fans on here?  Since when yuh have to "apply" for membership?

Bakes... ( :rotfl:) ....... So he talkng all this tutu and dont know how to sign up for a forum, even RF and Jamaica2000 know how....

Anyhow,

He going with a supposing... supposing I win de lottery, I hear when you play 20 times the 21st time you does win, suppose ah shit down myself, I hear if you fart more than 6 times a day the 7 time you might actually shit down yuh self.

LEO BEENHAKKER - 2 plus 2 is not always 4 in football.

We are our worst enemy, plain and simple, if we get our acts together, we could qualify for the next world cup.

Can the TTFF get their act together, I dont know, but doubt it, will we qualify for the WC in 20 years, I dont know, will we qualify for 2018, I dont know.

We started our WC qualifying in 1966 and qualify for a WC in 2006, how much years it that ? ah sure not 20....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:02:09 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 10:14:44 AM »
If football was a population based game, then tell me why Holland is a world power in football?

While ur analysis is good in some instances, it is generally flawed.
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 10:39:52 AM »
If football was a population based game, then tell me why Holland is a world power in football?

I think it has something to do with the windmills and the fact that so much of the country lies below sea level... Or maybe it's the red light district in Amsterdam....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
. Or maybe it's the red light district in Amsterdam....

agreed,, look at what hoes did for tiger woods game
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2011, 11:29:52 AM »

My thoughts exactly. Apart from Holland, how would he explain the success of Uruguay with a population of about 3 million.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2011, 01:23:18 PM »

My thoughts exactly. Apart from Holland, how would he explain the success of Uruguay with a population of about 3 million.

Fluke...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2011, 02:07:49 PM »

So explain why the most consistent and successful Nations have large populations! Brazil, Germany, Italy.  ;D Remember Uruguay won it when only 12 and 13 teams was involved due to travel, war time recovery etc.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2011, 02:57:01 PM »
Saga Pinto-

And you are? 

1]; } ?>