March 28, 2024, 07:34:05 AM

Author Topic: Daniel effective versus Red Bulls  (Read 2686 times)

Offline Trinidad Sports Reality

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Daniel effective versus Red Bulls
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:56:09 AM »
UNION FIND SUCCESS WITH 4-2-3-1 FORMATION
Offense more cohesive after second half adjustment vs. NY
By Kevin Kinkead philadelphiaunion.com April 11, 2011
Manager Peter Nowak's tactical adjustments paid off on Saturday vs. NY. (Greg Carroccio)

If you kept a close eye on Philadelphia Union’s midfield during Saturday night 1-0 win vs. the New York Red Bulls, you likely noticed multiple changes throughout the 90 minutes.
Peter Nowak’s squad essentially came out in a 4-2-2-2 formation, with Keon Daniel on the left side of the midfield and Justin Mapp on the right. Sebastient Le Toux and Carlos Ruiz played up top, with Brian Carroll and Stefani Miglioranzi in holding roles.
Though the left-footed Mapp likes to move from one side of the field to the other, this was the first time this season he’d started the game on the right.
The first swap with Daniel didn’t come until 41 minutes in the first half. Mapp came over to the left side of the field, and Daniel took up position on the left.
But it was the second half adjustment that was more noticeable. The Union came out in a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Mapp on the left, Daniel now in the middle, and Le Toux dropping back to a right winger role. Ruiz played as a lone striker.
“In the first half, when New York was basically playing five on the defensive half and five on the offensive half, there was a big space in the middle,” explained Manager Peter Nowak during the post-game press conference. “With the 4-2-3-1 formation, you have the guy who will be able to take care of this, and not allow New York those passes that bypass our midfield line.
"We found those spaces where we can get the ball and play forward to either Danny Mwanga or Sebastien Le Toux. There was a purpose and design. We wanted to cut off those passing lines, the balls that bypass our midfield.”
“When the formation changed, we had more control of the game,” added Daniel, who made his first MLS start. “Because, in the first half, we were outplayed in the midfield, outnumbered. It helped us a lot, it gave us an extra person to man the midfield.”
It’s not often that an adjustment to the formation can help on both the offensive and defensive side of the ball. But that was the case against New York.
The 4-2-3-1 essentially drops your second striker for a more withdrawn center forward who can function as a “pivot” on the offensive end, and an extra man to clog up the midfield when tracking back.
“The way they were playing, with the forwards dropping back so much behind us, Stefani and I had to adjust,” said Amobi Okugo, who entered the game in the sixth minute when Carroll left with a hamstring injury. “Keon was playing the playmaker role, so it helped us going forward, and dropping back as well.”
Red Bulls manager Hans Backe was visibly upset with his team’s offensive performance on Saturday. He explained that the Union’s use of two holding midfielders was the main reason that striker Thierry Henry was playing such a withdrawn role, dropping into the midfield for service.
“That’s what happens when teams sit back, because it is so crowded around the top of the box,” said Backe. “I think that strikers need to come short, and attacking midfielders need to come short to get involved. I think that’s probably the right way to do it, because if you just push players up front, you will just give away breakaways. You need to have that balance, with the strikers coming short, so I don’t think that’s a problem [that Henry was dropping off].”

Midfielder Keon Daniel was effective in multiple positions Saturday.
Second half substitutions changed Philadelphia's formation, and with it the complexion of the match. Mwanga’s entrance saw Mapp leave the field. Daniel then moved back to the left side of the midfield, with Mwanga taking over the central role.
Roger Torres then subbed on for Ruiz, moving Mwanga up front while Torres took over in the center, the third player in the second half to play that position.
But Nowak allows flexibility in his formations, and he likes versatility. Players are generally allowed to move around the pitch and look for opportunities to go forward, as long as teammates are covering ground and tracking back.
“We have free reign to move around, as long as there’s balance and cover,” said Okugo. “We still have to stay disciplined, but as long as there’s balance, there’s freedom to move around, to find gaps and angles to support the playmakers like Roger and Sebastien.
“We should be able to play different roles, and whenever coach calls us, just fill whatever role it is the best you can.”
“That’s football you know?" added Daniel, who played centrally and on both wings. "You have to adjust to where coach puts you. You can’t be a stereotype player, just playing one way. It’s no problem for me. Wherever coach wants me to play, I’m gonna play there, work hard, and do my best.”

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel effective versus Red Bulls
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »
This could be a good experience for Keon.  He sounds like he is up to the challenge.  U f anything, he may become a more disciplined player.  Haven't seen him yet, but how has his workrate been?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »
This could be a good experience for Keon.  He sounds like he is up to the challenge.  U f anything, he may become a more disciplined player.  Haven't seen him yet, but how has his workrate been?

He work much harder dan ah ever see him do fuh de Red, White, and Black.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 03:43:58 PM »

I doh want to say too much for  fear of putting goat mouth on him. But when Philly come to DC I will make time to see that game. I may even travel to West Chester to take in a game or 2, who knows????

Offline Trinidad Sports Reality

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
he look i find they shld let him get a chance to take a lil freekick they got a nice one and la toux fella rush and kick it high in the stands

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 10:34:45 PM »
Saddist I so glad to see this,man doing well is just motivation and someone to push him ... I could see him going from strength to strength here he have to fight for his place ... not with the National Team.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:46:12 AM »

He work much harder dan ah ever see him do fuh de Red, White, and Black.
His work ethic improve since he start playing abroad then.

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »
he look i find they shld let him get a chance to take a lil freekick they got a nice one and la toux fella rush and kick it high in the stands

One thing at a time. First he has to earn a regular starting job. Then he could make a push to be a regular free kick taker.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
I always say two things American teams always develop in Trini players is fitness and workrate!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »
I always say two things American teams always develop in Trini players is fitness and workrate!

Except dat few of we players does ever last long in dey system, or even play consistently.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 10:25:59 AM »

True dat.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 11:06:20 AM »

Except dat few of we players does ever last long in dey system, or even play consistently.
Our players need to take advantage of the opportunity and plan to use the MLS as a stepping stone. If these two things along with professionalism can be added to our players while they are with these clubs (not sure if they get this in the PFL), then our players can begin to think about playing in Europe. MLS should not be the end goal for any of our top players, but it can certainly be a building block.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 11:33:17 AM »

You ever notice the players that stay long and those that didnt and where they ended up?
The trend in my opinion is directly related to their quality or consistency.. wether we want to believe it or not.

Offline Gazza

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 08:40:32 PM »
Once pfister put him inna de middle to be we playmaker he go shine and we go win matches.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 04:06:15 AM »
All de time man and woman here bad talking de MLS, now they singing praise...
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Midfield youngsters add quality depth for Philadelphia
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2011, 08:13:59 PM »
Midfield youngsters add quality depth for Philadelphia
By Dave Zeitlin (MLSsoccer.com)

Between the three of them, Kyle Nakazawa, Amobi Okugo and Keon Daniel had started only 16 MLS games coming into the weekend.

But with the Philadelphia Union nursing some injuries, the untested trio got the starting nod in the midfield for Saturday’s game against the Seattle Sounders.

Perhaps it’s not a coincidence that, despite fielding so much inexperience, the Union looked as strong as they have all season, both offensively and defensively, in the 1-1 draw.

“I thought we kept a good rhythm in the midfield,” Nakazawa told MLSsoccer.com “I think we’re a very talented group, very deep. Anyone, whether they’re young or old, can perform well when they’re called upon.”

All three were called into action because Brian Carroll was out with a hamstring strain and Justin Mapp, who only recently recovered from the same injury, came off the bench, leaving Stefani Miglioranzi as the only veteran in the starting midfield.

But the youngsters – with Nakazawa and Daniel on the flanks and Okugo in the center – performed admirably in the driving rainstorm, playing a physical, intelligent game against a strong Sounders squad.

Their attacking presence was also noticeable, as Okugo had a clean shot on net and Nakazawa made a nifty cutback move to draw the foul that set up the club’s only goal, a free-kick bender from Carlos Ruiz.

“Playing that position on the right side of midfield, I try to push myself to be dangerous in the attack,” said Nakazawa. “Going forward and taking chances, that’s something I’ve tried to add to my game, and that’s something I tried to do there.”

While Nakazawa has now started four games this season and Daniel, a creative MLS newcomer, the last two, Okugo made his first start of the year on Saturday.

Union manager Pater Nowak likes the progress he’s seeing from the 20-year-old central midfielder.

“He’s making big strides right now,” Nowak said of Okugo. “He’s starting to show that he can play fast but he can still use the other midfielders and push the ball through.”

As a key member of the US U-20 squad, Okugo has shown he’s comfortable playing alongside fellow youngsters. For him, Saturday’s game was no different.

“Keon has experience with the Trinidad and Tobago national team, and me and Naka know each other from UCLA, so we kind of clicked,” Okugo said. “And Stefani was in there to give us leadership. It’s a good group of guys. Anyone is willing to step in at any time.”

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
Good vibes...Glad that Keon is performing at a higher level and doing well with his new Team  :beermug:

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 11:41:26 AM »
Miglioranzi was teamate of mine in college for a year.  Kinda strange to see them referringto him as a veteran.  Boy, I must be really getting old.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 12:13:41 PM »
Phil. Union let Seattle score in de 91st, and Keon was markin d man dat score.
Glad to see him performing well and being recognized though.

1]; } ?>