March 28, 2024, 04:03:42 AM

Author Topic: NBA 2011 Play Offs Thread  (Read 37771 times)

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2011 Play Offs Thread
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2011, 12:38:07 PM »
All de choke and gag talk aside, yuh miss ah classic game last night. Dirk and Kidd took over the game and it was compelling to see the fan reaction after the game.....

I know yuh wasn't being too serious... was more a general comment b/c facebook was lit up with pretty much the same sentiments.  It takes time for teams, especially teams without veterans, to learn to win in the playoffs... I've always heard it, but I've also seen it for myself.  It takes poise to run your sets and execute down the stretch, to tune out the crowd, especially on the road, to tell yuhself "no sweat, remember when we was down (      ) and we come back tuh win.  Well all of that requires that you draw on experience, the type of experience you only get thru trial and error.  Now, it's entirely possible that a team of neophytes could come and win it all in their first try... except it's never happened, in large part because experienced teams just have that edge and confidence. 

I like OKC ever since they was in Seattle... true talk, no bandwagon thing.  People like soccerman who know my college basketball loyalties would understand why I am a Jeff Green fan.  When they drafted Durant, and got Green and West in a trade I started to take notice.  They also had Chris Wilcox on that team Durant's first year (team's last in Seattle) and I remember thinking how unique it was that they had 4 players from the DMV (DC-MD-VA).  Westbrook, Harden and Ibaka means that they have a solid core of young players, and have Perkins, Mohammed and my man Collison for good balance.  I think Cook and Sefalosha is some oxygen thieves... but maybe they bringing something to the table that I ent really seeing yet.  OKC will be fine... but as I said two weeks ago

OKC is ah frigging waste... I like Westbrook but he needs discipline in order to grow and Scott Brooks just not providing that right now.  Poor coaching cost them that game... no other way to explain the lack of execution down the stretch.

Scott Brooks is not the coach to lead that team.
Although he is ah lil up dey in age, Larry Brown would be the perfect coach for this group
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »
Although he is ah lil up dey in age, Larry Brown would be the perfect coach for this group

I beg to differ... for one thing Larry Brown has a very corrosive effect on the teams that he coaches, and more often enough leaves them in the lurch at the end.  That said, he's the last thing that Westbrook needs... if he hasn't started to second guess himself yet after all this criticism, Brown promises to erode whatever confidence he has in himself.  Larry Brown is notoriously hard on his point guards. Just as Augustine (Charlotte), Marbury (NY) and Iverson (Philly).

I'm not a fan, so it could just be my personal bias though.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2011, 05:50:56 PM »

I beg to differ... for one thing Larry Brown has a very corrosive effect on the teams that he coaches, and more often enough leaves them in the lurch at the end.  That said, he's the last thing that Westbrook needs... if he hasn't started to second guess himself yet after all this criticism, Brown promises to erode whatever confidence he has in himself.  Larry Brown is notoriously hard on his point guards. Just as Augustine (Charlotte), Marbury (NY) and Iverson (Philly).

Yeah, agree wid yuh here, Doug C. would be better, but he wrapped up at Philly.  Westbrook lose dat game fuh dem last nite, mite sound harsh, but he totally messed up on de last 3 possessions.  OKC ha nuttin to be ashamed of though, they growing niceley and will be back for sure
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »

Yeah, agree wid yuh here, Doug C. would be better, but he wrapped up at Philly.  Westbrook lose dat game fuh dem last nite, mite sound harsh, but he totally messed up on de last 3 possessions.  OKC ha nuttin to be ashamed of though, they growing niceley and will be back for sure

That's real harsh. Durant took a 35 foot 3 pointer at the buzzer - no blame there? Also what Scott Brooks calling in the huddle? And is about more than 1 man executing an offensive set. Westbrook is culpable no doubt but plenty of blame to go around.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2011, 08:07:55 PM »
Sinned, Westbrook throw de ball to Durant with time winding down de clock, yeah, there is blame to go around but 3 straight posessions he had de floor cleared for an offensive push like if he is kobe or lebron.  Yeah, de coach deserve some blame too, cyar believe dat was part ah de script.  Anyway, OKC is a young team, there time ought to come not long from now...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2011, 09:12:36 PM »
And is about more than 1 man executing an offensive set.

Tell that to the Bulls too nah!
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 24, 2011, 10:05:53 PM »
I ent go start gloating... yet.  But I call this long time... that Game 1 win was a mirage for Chicago.  Tonight they played even better defense and held Wade in check for most of the game.  Boozer even make a cameo appearance off the witness protection list and his 18 pts (or whatever it is he finish with) neutralized what Bosh offered.  Yet they lost... too much LeBron.  Miami haven't yet had a game where all three stars show up yet they up 3-1.  Just too much firepower for the Bulls and they can't rely on 21 extra points from distance, or 23 extra points from offensive rebounds every game. 

That said I won't be surprised if they come out amped up in game 5 and get Rose and Boozer going early.  They might even win it.  But until they can identify a consistent second option to Rose they not winning this series.  Tonight Rose took 25 shots and make 8.  Do the math... 32%  The pattern has been start off with Bibby guarding him and see if Bibby can make some shots to keep him honest.  Next yuh bring in Chalmers to harrass him more and make him guard both the jumper and the drive.  Second half is ah steady diet of more Chalmers before yuh finish him off with Wade and James.  He score a grand total of 2 points after LeBron switch to guarding him... when James went for the steal and Rose drove and got fouled by Anthony.  That's it.  Shut 'em down.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #217 on: May 24, 2011, 10:18:06 PM »
they cant identify what they dont have...i still think we getting beat in 5, cant see us winning our next game although we at home.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 24, 2011, 11:23:00 PM »
they cant identify what they dont have...i still think we getting beat in 5, cant see us winning our next game although we at home.

If allyuh get some ah dem calls allyuh get (on de road) tonight and the game as close as it was... allyuh winning easy.  Worst officiated playoffs since 2002... watch de ride.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2011, 05:54:23 AM »

That's real harsh. Durant took a 35 foot 3 pointer at the buzzer - no blame there? Also what Scott Brooks calling in the huddle? And is about more than 1 man executing an offensive set. Westbrook is culpable no doubt but plenty of blame to go around.

Sinned on that play Durant and Westbrook both have to take major blame. Westbrook as point guard was to run a play to get the ball to Durant in a better position for a better shot, plus even when he did hand off the ball to Durant on that play. he stopped essentially right next to Durant inadvertently limited how many options KD had on the play and making Kidd and Marion's job of contesting and smothering Durant's attempt all the more easier.

I ent go start gloating... yet.  But I call this long time... that Game 1 win was a mirage for Chicago.  Tonight they played even better defense and held Wade in check for most of the game.  Boozer even make a cameo appearance off the witness protection list and his 18 pts (or whatever it is he finish with) neutralized what Bosh offered.  Yet they lost... too much LeBron.  Miami haven't yet had a game where all three stars show up yet they up 3-1.  Just too much firepower for the Bulls and they can't rely on 21 extra points from distance, or 23 extra points from offensive rebounds every game. 

That said I won't be surprised if they come out amped up in game 5 and get Rose and Boozer going early.  They might even win it.  But until they can identify a consistent second option to Rose they not winning this series.  Tonight Rose took 25 shots and make 8.  Do the math... 32%  The pattern has been start off with Bibby guarding him and see if Bibby can make some shots to keep him honest.  Next yuh bring in Chalmers to harrass him more and make him guard both the jumper and the drive.  Second half is ah steady diet of more Chalmers before yuh finish him off with Wade and James.  He score a grand total of 2 points after LeBron switch to guarding him... when James went for the steal and Rose drove and got fouled by Anthony.  That's it.  Shut 'em down.

I find rel ppl have been hard on Boozer, in game 3 he had 26pts and 17 rebounds and men was still saying he was anonymous in the series. Thing is he's been playing better the longer the playoffs went on, but Rose still not really feeding him. A good bit of Chicago's good offense had Boozer involved last night, but in the clutch Rose sorta pulled a Westbrook and didn't make plays for his teammates. Chicago could have won the game last night if Rose didn't think he had to do it by himself.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2011, 07:03:54 AM »
Great game by both teams but at the end of the day the cream rises to the top.
Not sure if Gabrielle keeping Wade up all night, but he looking energetic during the warm ups and pregame, but he has been struggling in this series. Missed dunks,layups, turnovers etc...He is due for a breakout game soon.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2011, 07:07:36 AM »

Looking back at game 1, take away all dem second chance points and 3 point shooting, the Bulls would have been swept .

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2011, 09:52:04 AM »

If allyuh get some ah dem calls allyuh get (on de road) tonight and the game as close as it was... allyuh winning easy.  Worst officiated playoffs since 2002... watch de ride.

Last night was the bulls game to win, Deng stepped up and provided some buckets along with Boozer (who I find is real lala). It easy to sit back and say this now but wid the game tied with 8 secs or how much it was, Rose 1 on 1 against Lebron is a difficult task. I didn't understand why they didn't run a pick or something to give Rose room to shoot or even Deng since he was having a decent game. Like the coach say "let's in bound it to Rose and everyone get out the away and be prepared to rebound", at the end of the day, Miami has too much firepower for the Bulls.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2011, 10:21:29 AM »
I find rel ppl have been hard on Boozer, in game 3 he had 26pts and 17 rebounds and men was still saying he was anonymous in the series. Thing is he's been playing better the longer the playoffs went on, but Rose still not really feeding him. A good bit of Chicago's good offense had Boozer involved last night, but in the clutch Rose sorta pulled a Westbrook and didn't make plays for his teammates. Chicago could have won the game last night if Rose didn't think he had to do it by himself.

There's no way to really defend Boozer's play nah... the man has been a non-factor most of the playoffs.  He averaging 13 points a game in the playoffs and hardly have been on the floor in the 4th quarter.  To his credit he actually raised his average to 17 pts a game versus Miami, but that's largely on the strength of the last two games. These are his scoring totals for the series: 14 pts, 7 pts, 26 pts and 20 pts last night.  Luol Deng outplaying him and Deng ent even seeing as many touches as Boozer.  Boozer playing around 35 mins a game (invisible in the 4th as ah say) compared to Deng's 44... and Deng chasing LeBron whole game.   

Is not like they asking Boozer to play a lot of defense... he guarding Joel Anthony.  Noah is the one with the hard task of guarding Bosh. And is not like Boozer has been in foul trouble neither.  To be fair again, his numbers this season and this playoffs are right around his career figures... but they give that fella a huge contract envisioning him as being the difference-maker.  If people hard on Boozer is for good reason... ah mean, how you go refer to the Miami stars as "the Big Two"... trying to diss Bosh and Bosh outplaying yuh?  He had 26pts in Game 2, big deal... Bosh had 34.  In fact here are Bosh's point totals next to Boozers (in parentheses): 30 (14), 10 (7), 34 (26), 22 (20).  And Bosh giving Miami 41 mins per game.  Boozer is ah friggin waste... all he good for is one gallery dunk per game... somebody will drive and feed him fuh ah wide open dunk, he finally do something, den pose, scream, flex and carry on like he dominating or sumting.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2011, 02:45:39 PM »

There's no way to really defend Boozer's play nah... the man has been a non-factor most of the playoffs.  He averaging 13 points a game in the playoffs and hardly have been on the floor in the 4th quarter.  To his credit he actually raised his average to 17 pts a game versus Miami, but that's largely on the strength of the last two games. These are his scoring totals for the series: 14 pts, 7 pts, 26 pts and 20 pts last night.  Luol Deng outplaying him and Deng ent even seeing as many touches as Boozer.  Boozer playing around 35 mins a game (invisible in the 4th as ah say) compared to Deng's 44... and Deng chasing LeBron whole game.   

Is not like they asking Boozer to play a lot of defense... he guarding Joel Anthony.  Noah is the one with the hard task of guarding Bosh. And is not like Boozer has been in foul trouble neither.  To be fair again, his numbers this season and this playoffs are right around his career figures... but they give that fella a huge contract envisioning him as being the difference-maker.  If people hard on Boozer is for good reason... ah mean, how you go refer to the Miami stars as "the Big Two"... trying to diss Bosh and Bosh outplaying yuh?  He had 26pts in Game 2, big deal... Bosh had 34.  In fact here are Bosh's point totals next to Boozers (in parentheses): 30 (14), 10 (7), 34 (26), 22 (20).  And Bosh giving Miami 41 mins per game.  Boozer is ah friggin waste... all he good for is one gallery dunk per game... somebody will drive and feed him fuh ah wide open dunk, he finally do something, den pose, scream, flex and carry on like he dominating or sumting.

Fuh real...not to mention all the 3 point plays he could've converted, I watch that man get foul and missing simple lay-ups for the and 1.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2011, 04:24:31 PM »
On a differen note than the playoffs talk... the New York Times currently has a feature on the crossover dribble, where the masters of the move talk about their technique and how they learned it.  I didn't want to create a whole new thread, and since we have a couple days between games ah figure I'd stick it in here.  Featured are Timmy Hardaway, Dwayne Wade and a couple fellow Hoyas, Allen Iverson, and his "teacher" Dean Berry. 

Dean is a pardna ah mine... we play nuff pick-up ball at Georgetown, and having been caught a couple times by him I can attest as to how deadly that crossover was.  Real cool fella (Jamaican at that, lol) from Va. by way of Queens, now living in South Florida.  I always heard that it was he who teach Iverson the crossover, but nice to actually see A.I. give him his props.  Have to give a shout out to Dwayne "Pearl" Washington too... even though he's a Syracuse Orangeman.  We went to the same HS in Brooklyn, although he was there before my time.  He, Connie Hawkins and Lenny Wilkens help put my old high school on the map, and today we finally back on top running things in New York.

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
On a differen note than the playoffs talk... the New York Times currently has a feature on the crossover dribble, where the masters of the move talk about their technique and how they learned it.  I didn't want to create a whole new thread, and since we have a couple days between games ah figure I'd stick it in here.  Featured are Timmy Hardaway, Dwayne Wade and a couple fellow Hoyas, Allen Iverson, and his "teacher" Dean Berry. 

Dean is a pardna ah mine... we play nuff pick-up ball at Georgetown, and having been caught a couple times by him I can attest as to how deadly that crossover was.  Real cool fella (Jamaican at that, lol) from Va. by way of Queens, now living in South Florida.  I always heard that it was he who teach Iverson the crossover, but nice to actually see A.I. give him his props.  Have to give a shout out to Dwayne "Pearl" Washington too... even though he's a Syracuse Orangeman.  We went to the same HS in Brooklyn, although he was there before my time.  He, Connie Hawkins and Lenny Wilkens help put my old high school on the map, and today we finally back on top running things in New York.
Yooo  AI cross the sh%^& outa  Antonio Daniels in the first part of that clip. He is one player ah miss seeing play.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »
Yooo  AI cross the sh%^& outa  Antonio Daniels in the first part of that clip. He is one player ah miss seeing play.

Make him fall down twice... just in case he didn't understand what happen de first time  :rotfl: :rotfl:

meanwhile... I dey talking 'bout we have a couple days between games, clean fuhgetting (again!) that de Mavs/Thunder game on tonight.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2011, 09:05:55 PM »
I realize tonight what my problem with Westbrook's game is... is not that he shooting TOO much, is that too often he shoots as the first option, without passing the ball or trying to run sets.  Tonight he's taken a ton of shots, but most of those have come as a result of second touches, or from him playing off the ball.  Durant has given him a couple sweet passes... but the difference maker, not surprisingly, has been Harden running point in the 3rd quarter.

-------------------------

EDIT:  Game over, series over.  Time to go get Dirk his ring.

Tough luck OKC, take heart your time will come.  James Harden= baller!!

« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:56:49 PM by Bakes »

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »
Ah cyah see or hear from man like warmonga since de Chi v Mia first game.... :waiting:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2011, 09:21:49 PM »
Repeat of the 06 finals  :praying: 4 a different result.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2011, 09:29:13 PM »
Adios Chica(n't)go... if yuh cyah stand de HEAT get out de playoffs!!

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2011, 11:01:44 PM »
Repeat of the 06 finals  :praying: 4 a different result.
cosign

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2011, 08:41:24 AM »
I cyar see Supa these days, like my boy celebrating down in South FL and forget we on here. Anyway congrats partner, you guys were impressive during the series. With 2 mins left I say to myself game over, game 6 but Chicago couldn't handle the pressure the Heat put on them and Lebron was clutch. Miami peak at the right time, should be an entertaining final series :beermug:

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2011, 08:49:56 AM »

Make him fall down twice... just in case he didn't understand what happen de first time  :rotfl: :rotfl:

meanwhile... I dey talking 'bout we have a couple days between games, clean fuhgetting (again!) that de Mavs/Thunder game on tonight.
You remember the two crossovers AI ress on Jordan in his rookie year I believe, my boy crossed him bring it back and crossed him again. MJ swung and grabbed nothing but O2, to make matters worse AI nailed the jumper and posed with the follow through....nasty!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2011, 02:47:54 PM »
I think both these series could be characterized by experience winning out.
Especially in the case of Chicago, they had the leas in all the games i believe.
in game 4 in particular, the 2 isolation plays with Rose and Lebron was just foolishness. They should have run a play, a pick and roll, something, and look for the open man... Next year the Wizards will show them how it's done  ::)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:02:29 PM by Bitter »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2011, 06:41:50 PM »
Bitter... in my humble opinion (something I almost never have, lol) the iso's were the right call.  If you look at the way that the Heat had been playing the pick and rolls, it was straight out of an old Pat Riley playbook.  As a Knicks fan I can tell you that one thing we were famous for under Benedict Riley was blitzing the ball handler on the pick and roll.  Anthony Mason or Charles Oakely would squeeze hard off the pick and send him back towards mid-court rather than letting him turn the corner.  That's exactly what the Heat did to Rose. 

Rose's strenght is in his one-on-one game, if you bring a screener into play you're also bringing another defender into the play to trap Rose.  Chicago has no one in the screening game who really threatened the Heat... you need a big (has to be a big team mate because you want to force his big defender into a mismatch covering Rose) who is a threat to shoot.  Kurt Thomas fits the bill (and again as an ex-Knick I can tell you he's deadly with that mid-range shot) but he wasn't on the court.  Boozer is a so-so spot up shooter... so the strategy on the iso wasn't that bad... the defense was just that much better.  Final note on Kurt Thomas... love that guy, his grit and hustle personified everything that was the Knicks under Van Gundy.  Was upset when we traded him to Phoenix... to me he will always be a Knickerbocker, sorry that he won't get a shot at a title, at least not for another year.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2011, 07:25:53 PM »
I'm not going to beat my chest... but it feels kinda good to see that most of what I said early on has come to pass where it comes to this series.  Miami really just needed to focus on defensive rebounding after Game 1 and limit the second-chance opportunities for the Bulls.  The Bulls are not a good 3-point shooting team so I really didn't think they could repeat their Game 1 performance of 10-20 (making that many and making such a high percentage at that).  For the series they shot 39 for 118 (33%), which isn't great but not terrible.  Take away Game 1 however and they shot 29 for 98 (29.5%) the rest of the way.

As for Boozer, Michael Wilbon put it best on ESPN.com:

But one has to wonder about Carlos Boozer and whether work will be the answer for him. His 1-for-6 shooting performance in Game 5 was pathetic. He recorded nearly as many personal fouls (four) as points (five). Players from other teams around the league privately ridiculed Boozer for being less effective than 38-year-old Kurt Thomas, who makes a fraction of what Boozer makes. The Miami players, while saying nothing privately, couldn't wait for the locker-room doors to close to congratulate Bosh (20 points, 10 rebounds, four blocked shots) for torching Boozer, who had the nerve to refuse to include Bosh in any discussion about Miami's talented trio ("big two," Boozer said repeatedly). Bosh proved to be not only a damn good player but also a great teammate in that he continually suffered insults and indignities but shut his mouth and played at a higher level than some of the knuckleheads criticizing him. Bosh is a keeper. The Bulls had better find a couple of more guys, whatever position they play, just like him, guys short on excuses and long on performance.

5pts, 4 fouls in arguably the biggest game of his career... waste of time.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:46:22 PM by Bakes »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2011, 07:35:07 PM »
Bakes,
The FIRST iso was ok, imo,  but the 2nd one was basically putting your entire season on an all-or-nothing play. In my mind before that whole thing went down I was thinking Deng would be the man to make that Kurt Thomas shot you talking about.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2011, 07:41:40 PM »
Bakes,
The FIRST iso was ok, imo,  but the 2nd one was basically putting your entire season on an all-or-nothing play. In my mind before that whole thing went down I was thinking Deng would be the man to make that Kurt Thomas shot you talking about.

I thought about that scenario too... the only problem is that Deng not that big, so he would have been guarded by a smaller defender.  Now to be honest I don't remember who the Heat had on the floor besides Wade, Bosh and James... and to your point, yuh could argue that getting anybody else to guard him but LeBron would have been victory.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 07:44:26 PM by Bakes »

1]; } ?>