March 28, 2024, 10:17:37 AM

Author Topic: NBA 2011 Play Offs Thread  (Read 37777 times)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2011 Play Offs Thread
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »
Bakes,
The FIRST iso was ok, imo,  but the 2nd one was basically putting your entire season on an all-or-nothing play. In my mind before that whole thing went down I was thinking Deng would be the man to make that Kurt Thomas shot you talking about.

I thought about that scenario too... the only problem is that Deng not that big, so he would have been guarded by a smaller defender.  Now to be honest I don't remember who the Heat had on the floor besides Wade, Bosh and James... and to your point, yuh could argue that getting anybody else to guard him but LeBron would have been victory.

That's what I couldn't understand as well. I didn't mind Rose getting the last shot but an iso against Lebron under 10 secs, in most cases, advantage Lebron. If someone could've screened Lebron I know Rose is quick enough to get a shot off with a little more room even if another defender has to pick him up off the dribble.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 27, 2011, 08:20:18 PM »
That's what I couldn't understand as well. I didn't mind Rose getting the last shot but an iso against Lebron under 10 secs, in most cases, advantage Lebron. If someone could've screened Lebron I know Rose is quick enough to get a shot off with a little more room even if another defender has to pick him up off the dribble.

...or get past him to the cup for a bucket and/or foul.  I don't think either of you are wrong... just saying that I could kinda see the thinking behind the iso.  Remember, that play at the end of regulation aside (and they MUST have been thinking that was an aberration), nobody in his prior two years had shown the ability to stay in front of Rose off the dribble.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 27, 2011, 11:29:16 PM »

...or get past him to the cup for a bucket and/or foul.  I don't think either of you are wrong... just saying that I could kinda see the thinking behind the iso.  Remember, that play at the end of regulation aside (and they MUST have been thinking that was an aberration), nobody in his prior two years had shown the ability to stay in front of Rose off the dribble.

True. I guess the thinking was that Lebron couldn't do that twice in a row. What immediately came to mind for me was the 1993 finals game 6. If Thibodeau was coaching then Jordan was the only person was going to touch the ball. After all, he was the best player on the planet. He was the only Bulls player to score in the 4th qtr. Instead, they draw up a play, then every bulls player on the court touch the ball. I will concede that man for man, that bulls team was much better than this one, and the Heat play better defense than the Suns.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GnAr4I3-Z48" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GnAr4I3-Z48</a>

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2011, 06:14:05 AM »

True. I guess the thinking was that Lebron couldn't do that twice in a row. What immediately came to mind for me was the 1993 finals game 6. If Thibodeau was coaching then Jordan was the only person was going to touch the ball. After all, he was the best player on the planet. He was the only Bulls player to score in the 4th qtr. Instead, they draw up a play, then every bulls player on the court touch the ball. I will concede that man for man, that bulls team was much better than this one, and the Heat play better defense than the Suns.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GnAr4I3-Z48" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GnAr4I3-Z48</a>

Even  'til this day man still swearing up and down that Jordan was the one who brought the ball up, dribble and find Paxson  for the wide open jumpshot.

The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
Good call Bitter... can't say that I particular thought of that immediately (hadn't thought much of that since way back then... I was in the midst of Bulls antipathy then, lol), but yeah that might have worked too.  I could see Korver spotting up off a Deng or Rose drive.  Give Thibodeaux time though... even Phil had to have a couple years in order to hone his craft.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #245 on: May 30, 2011, 12:18:45 PM »
the bulls played well despite losing to miami, it was a matter of experience and the heat having an all round better core of players.

rose is a sight to see, i enjoy watching that youth play ball, lebron however is the premier player in the league

i called it since his high school days and i will stick to it now, he will be great and will win championships

the heat surprised me this year, because they gelled as a team faster than i thought they would, so ah eating some crow with that, i thought next year would be their year, and the celts would be back to the championship, i called that wrong, the heat surprised me which was good as well

the heat will win the championship and lebron will start his path towards nba greatness 8)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 31, 2011, 03:17:54 PM »
The one thing I will criticize LeBron for is his post game... both offensively and defensively.  There's no way a fella that big and strong shouldn't be volunteering to guard every position on the court.  Against Boston I was sure he woulda raise he hand and ask to guard KG.  Against Dallas, the Heat could win even if Dirk goes off... but to win comfortably they need to keep him in check.  They need somebody big enough, strong enough and quick enough to make life difficult for him. 

You don't want LeBron to get in foul trouble... but I'd put him on Dirk at the start and challenge him to put up 40 on LeBron.  He could shoot over him... but Miami ent have no 7-footers anyways (other than Z, who ent play in about 10 yrs), so Dirk shooting over everybody on the team.  Dirk post game still developing and he not all that strong so LeBron should be able to push him away from the paint, be athletic enough to challenge the shots and to stay with him on the drive.  Bosh could as well, but he's not that great a position defender... more a situational or weak-side help defender.  Should be an interesting series.... I'd like for both LeBro or Dirk to win their ring, but the heart telling me Dirk window of opportunity smaller.  Let's go Mavs!

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2011, 05:59:40 PM »
I'd like for both LeBro or Dirk to win their ring, but the heart telling me Dirk window of opportunity smaller.  Let's go Mavs!

Exactly how I feel. LeBron playing incredible and I'm happy for him but if I had my way he'd wait one more year to get the ring.

If Dirk, Kidd and Peja could all get rings in one swoop, for me, that would be a great end to what I think was the best season I've ever followed.

edit: I forget to add Marion (and possibly Caron Butler if he makes it back) to the list of players I'd like to see win an NBA final. By my count the Mavs roster has 29 all-star appearances among players with no ring (Dirk 10, Kidd 10, Marion 4, Peja 3, Caron 2). That must be a record or close.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 07:06:47 PM by daryn »

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 31, 2011, 07:04:20 PM »
let's go mavs!

dirk, go get your ring

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2011, 08:36:49 PM »
I'd like for both LeBro or Dirk to win their ring, but the heart telling me Dirk window of opportunity smaller.  Let's go Mavs!

Exactly how I feel. LeBron playing incredible and I'm happy for him but if I had my way he'd wait one more year to get the ring.

If Dirk, Kidd and Peja could all get rings in one swoop, for me, that would be a great end to what I think was the best season I've ever followed.

edit: I forget to add Marion (and possibly Caron Butler if he makes it back) to the list of players I'd like to see win an NBA final. By my count the Mavs roster has 29 all-star appearances among players with no ring (Dirk 10, Kidd 10, Marion 4, Peja 3, Caron 2). That must be a record or close.

No love fuh Terry?

Huge win for Miami... great bench play by Haslem and Chalmers.  Still the three stars yet to show up and Miami still looking dominant.  Mavs need more from Dirk and more from the bench.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 09:56:17 PM by Bakes »

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2011, 06:30:38 AM »

No love fuh Terry?

Huge win for Miami... great bench play by Haslem and Chalmers.  Still the three stars yet to show up and Miami still looking dominant.  Mavs need more from Dirk and more from the bench.

Yeah, I really shouldn't have left out Terry. Don't know how I managed that. I was actually living in Atl during most of his time there. He was a big part of the team actually being watchable.

big game tonight for the Mavs. Winning the 3 straight home games in the middle of the series is a difficult proposition.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 02, 2011, 09:46:28 AM »
Yeah, I really shouldn't have left out Terry. Don't know how I managed that. I was actually living in Atl during most of his time there. He was a big part of the team actually being watchable.

big game tonight for the Mavs. Winning the 3 straight home games in the middle of the series is a difficult proposition.

But as we... and Dallas know, there is recent precedent for that. Tougher road to hoe with Dirk suffering the torn tendon in his finger though.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2011, 12:47:17 PM »
do you think you could you make that sig a little bigger, ah squintin just to see it
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2011, 12:52:05 PM »
do you think you could you make that sig a little bigger, ah squintin just to see it
:rotfl:

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:55 PM »
Unreal!

The Mavs just made this a series.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 02, 2011, 10:10:28 PM »
Unreal!

The Mavs just made this a series.

I dunno why Royal gone and make ah next thread... now we have to shift de talk over dey  :D

1]; } ?>