April 23, 2024, 05:46:37 PM

Author Topic: Prodigal son to assist Soca Warriors.  (Read 12639 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Prodigal son to assist Soca Warriors.
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »
Prodigal son to assist Soca Warriors.
By: Inshan Mohammed.

Anton, a man with many different jackets.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) never ceases to amaze by the decisions they continue to make when it comes to Trinidad and Tobago Football and anything that surrounds it.

Its latest controversy is the hiring of Anton Corneal, Jefferson George and Hutson Charles as the men who will sit beside new head coach Otto Pfister as his assistants to lead T&T national senior football team into qualification for the 2014 World Cup finals in Brazil.

The main question on the minds of many diehard T&T football supporters is, what is the criteria for hiring assistant coaches in T&T?; As a matter of fact many may also asked what is the criteria for hiring anyone as far as the TTFF staff members go? But I digress, so we'll stick to the topic at hand.

Sometimes we the supporters of T&T football forget that the TTFF is a private enterprise and isn't obligated to anyone. They can hire and fire without warning or reason as they usually do.

I have no beef with Mr. Otto Pfister, since we have not kicked a ball as yet, with him at the helm.  And, despite what TTFF Technical Advisor Mr. Keith Look Loy may sell in public, I know that Look Loy, Jack Warner, Anil Roberts, Jamal Shabaaz, Alvin Corneal or whoever else is making decisions at the Dundonald Street office may think that T&T supporters are gullible and will swallow everything that is thrown at them. Well, if that’s the case they have another thing coming.

When asked "What is the criteria for hiring an assistant coach" Mr. Keith Look Loy told the SWO "No comment Flex. The TTFF will issue an official statement in due course." At least Mr. Look Loy took the time to reply. The same can’t be said for Mr Jack Warner, who may have been busy. He normally does reply to my e-mails though, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. TTFF Technical Director Mr Lincoln Phillips (as expected) just didn't bother to comment on the matter.

In February 2011 new head coach Otto Pfister came to Trinidad and was briefly interviewed for the head coach position. He got the job in April, spent 3 days in T&T signing contracts and other related issues, before jetting off to the UK to scout potential 'Soca Warriors' with his UK based agent Damian Downey.

Now, to my understanding the little time he had spent in T&T Mr Pfister got to know 'all potential' assistant coaches and could have, a) decided to go with the above three on his 'own' will or, b) his new staff was handed to him on a silver platter, take it or leave it style.  My guess would be option (b).

After all, Otto did accept the job under certain terms and one of them was agreeing to have a fully local staff. Now don't get me wrong, all three assistants may actually be very nice guys, but my question is, do they all possess the necessary expertise, qualifications, hunger and determination to progress at this level. Being nice guys and actually being the right men for the job are two different entities.

Otto's new staff

Let’s take a closer look at the 3 hired men, starting with the godson of T&T football, Mr. Anton "Tanner" Corneal. Since the days of the Strike Squad, Anton Corneal’s selection as a player was always a questionable one. He was a regular player on the team despite the fact that he did nothing special to warrant a place.

In 2005, Anton took charged of the T&T national under 20 team. The team failed in their bid to qualify for the World Youth Championships in the Netherlands; when they were beaten 6-1 by hosts United States, 2-1 by Costa Rica and 3-1 by Panama in Group A of the CONCACAF Final Round qualifiers in Los Angeles.

The former Malta Carib Alcons man was promoted for his troubles and was giving a position to be on Leo Beenhakker's technical staff alongside Wim Rijsbergen for the senior football team.

The Dutch master had qualified T&T’s senior team for its first ever World Cup appearance at the 2006 finals in Germany. Anton went along for the ride and supposedly got the necessary experience and exposure. Or did he? There is an old saying, you can lead the horse to the water, but you cannot make him drink."

Anton was then named consultant for the 2006 CONCACAF Women's Gold Cup tournament in Miami, where by T&T were knocked out 3-0 by Mexico and Anton was on his way to his next job.

Later that same year Anton was given another task, or shall I say title to lead T&T Under 17 team to South Korea. At one time during the team’s preparation camp in Tobago he invited former T&T head coach Bertille St Clair to help him fine tune his young squad. I admired him, for coming forward and asking for help. This was definitely a positive sign from Corneal.

Dutchman Wim Rijsbergen who was at the time the new head coach of the senior team after Leo Beenhakker departed also extended a helping hand to Corneal and his budding Warriors.

This is where Corneal had his best success to date as he managed to qualify the talented Under 17 team to the finals in South Korea.

To get there T&T were beaten 2-0 by Costa Rica and 3-0 by the United States respectively. And with the new CONCACAF format, despite 2 losses, T&T were still within reach of a World Cup birth.

However, this time they made no mistake when they got past Canada 2-1 to meet host Jamaica in the deciding qualifier. A tie would have been enough to see T&T through, but the Young Warriors prevailed 1-0 on a late winner from talented midfielder Kevin Molino.

The successful 2007 Under-17 crop won two matches, lost two and qualified with a minus-three goal differential.

On the eve of its first game in South Korea, Corneal told FIFA.COM that "We want to make history" and so said, so done. His team made history when they were outclassed and out coached in every area. They fell to Ghana (4-1), Colombia (5-0) and Germany (5-0) respectively. Those results must have had a positive effect on Corneal.

Subsequently, Anton was again named the head coach of the 2009 Trinidad and Tobago National Under 17 team that was about to start its journey for a place at the FIFA Under 17 World Championship in Nigeria. The team of course got through the Caribbean minnows and was sailing into the final stage before being hit with a dose of reality as they were beaten 7-0 by hosts Mexico and 3-0 by Costa Rica and Guatemala, respectively, in Tijuana. Anton’s father, popular sports personality Alvin Corneal is usually quick to highlight T&T football failures in his T&T Guardian column, but was mysteriously incognito during his son’s aforementioned football fiasco.

The blame game

Upon returning home from Mexico, Mr. Anton Corneal took no blame whatsoever for his team’s terrible display and decided to place the blame squarely on the shoulders of the young players instead. Anton said in a public interview with the T&T Press that poor results was attributed to the attitude of his players and the fact that he had two years, rather than four, to prepare the squad.

One distraught parent of Anton’s U-17 players was quoted saying ""My son wanted to come home after the first game.

"Imagine the coaches were throwing words for some boys and saying, “all yuh feel you are big players because you went on trials to England or Portugal”.

"Instead of talking to them and building up their confidence they came and tore them down. I was the one trying to lift my son and asked him how many games he felt Dwight (Yorke) and (Russell) Latapy lost."

Another parent felt the technical staff placed too much blame on the shoulders of 16 year olds.

After they collected seven from Mexico, Anton told the players, “all yuh would have to live with that for the rest of all yuh life" said the parent.

"I can understand that you have to be tough after a loss, but the players were crushed and my son felt like a failure. How come it was only the players to blame and not the coaches.” ended another parent.

Anton did not have to explain himself to the concerned parents or the T&T supporters anyway, because his job with the TTFF in any capacity was a secured one. Based on his prolonged tenure with the TTFF Anton knew despite any results he could rely on his employers through thick or thin. It was a marriage made in heaven.

Jumping on the bandwagon

With only three months to go before the start of the 2009 FIFA Under-20 World Cup in Egypt, Anton was given yet another job. This time he jumped on the bandwagon as assistant coach to the Zoran Vranes Under 20 World Cup bound team. Ironically, current senior team assistant coaches Hutson Charles and Jefferson George were also on the under 20 staff. As the Trini saying goes, "all ah we is one family."

After Egypt, Anton was all smiles when he was introduced as technical director of the National Youth programs in Trinidad and Tobago. I remember a supporter saying "South and Tobago footballers dead, is only Fatima and St Mary's old boy men getting pick now."

Most recently in 2011, he was the assistant coach to Shawn Cooper's Under 17 team in its quest to qualify for the 2011 FIFA Under 17 World Cup finals in Mexico. Despite doing relatively well to qualify for the final stage, T&T World Cup hopes were dashed when Canada got the better of them in a do or die game that ended 2-0.

After continued failure coaching at the youth level Anton "Tanner" Corneal has has always been rewarded.  This time the prodigal son has emerged as one of the official senior team assistant head coaches.

Maybe there is some relation, T&T new head coach Otto Pfister is of German origin and according to WIKI Tanner is a surname of either English or German origin.

The Anglo-saxon Tanner was an occupational surname while the German form, also spelled Danner, is likely topographic from German 'tan', meaning forest. At least Tanner represents his name to the fullest as he does have a forest of experience. One can’t help but wonder though if he actually puts that experience to use or has he really learnt anything.

Only in T&T you would find that it’s not job performance, but rather nepotism that will take you high up the employment ladder.  Just ask Jamal Shabaaz, he is probably one of T&T's longest serving coaches who fits the aforementioned description well.

Introducing Jefferson George

Now let’s focus our attention to Mr. Jefferson George.  He is now the new assistant goalkeeper coach for the T&T senior team and also holds the same position for the current National Under 23 Olympic team. George is taking over from former Strike Squad goalkeeper Michael Maurice who held said position for over a decade.

Despite having never played for T&T senior team, one of George's proudest moments in the red, white and black must have been in 2000, when the T&T Olympic team defeated Denmark's Under-23 (1-0) in a friendly showdown in Macoya. George was the man between the sticks who ensured T&T kept a clean sheet and exacted its revenge for the lost against the same team two days earlier by the same margin.

In 2007, George had the opportunity to take in the experience of a coaching symposium held by the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) in conjunction with the Dutch Royal Academy.

Out of a large number of local coaches who participated in the symposiums, Jefferson George and former T&T player Reynold Carrington were offered the opportunity to attend further coaching courses in Holland.

In 2009 George was an understudy to Technical Director Mr. Lincoln Phillips in a TTFF Goalkeeping Coaching Diploma course.  Lincoln by the way holds high regards for George.

Speaking of Lincoln Phillips, one still cannot understand why a man who is regarded one of the best keepers to pass through Trinidad and Tobago after Joey Gonzales and with his vast experience and knowledge is not directly involved as T&T goalkeeper coach.  Maybe he doesn't know the same people Tanner knows.

Jefferson George, was also Zoran Vranes goalkeeper coach in Egypt for the under 20 team in 2009 and Norwegian Even Pellerud's T&T U-17 Women's team. The former W Connection and Ma Pau SC keeper was or still is employed by T&TEC and has been Dexter Cyrus (T&TEC head coach) assistant goalkeeper coach last season at the club.

T&TEC is destine for a spot in next season’s Pro League and with the Olympic and PanAmerican games around the corner, along with T&T senior team duties George will surely have his hands or shall I say gloves full. Talk about killing three birds with one stone.

Baba, working his way up the ladder

And finally, it’s on to Hutson “Baba” Charles, a man who has never been a head coach in his life, but does have a wealth of experience as a coaching assistant.

Charles was the assistant coach for a Brian Williams coached Under 20 team in 2006, 2007 Defence Force Technical Director, 2007 U-17 national football team, 2008 national Futsal team assistant, 2008 Under 16 assistant, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 U-20 assistant coach, and now the 2011 senior team assistant coach.

Surely, he can’t be that bad of a choice as he probably holds a national record for having the most assistant coaching positions in T&T, and with that experience under his belt his selection to some extent is warranted.

A small synopsis

Now that we have delved into the coaching experience of Otto Pfister’s assistants, here are two locally based coaches I believe should be involves in our national football set up.  The first is Russell Latapy, Yes he has failed us once as head coach of T&T’s senior team for the 2010 World Cup campaign, but Russell has played at the highest level and happens to be one of the best midfielders to grace our shores, as his vision on the field would make Zinedine Zidane blush. To waste such a football brain and talent would be a lost to T&T.  If he gains more coaching experience, I am sure he will be a great asset to T&T in some capacity. Maybe coaching the U-17s would be an appropriate fit for him.

I would also like to recommend the appointment of former San Juan Jabloteh coach Terry Fenwick as Youth Development Technical Director of T&T football; as the Englishman is responsible for developing many top T&T talents while at the San Juan based outfit. He also brings discipline to the table, a key ingredient our teams often lack.

Building a team off the field is just as, if not more important than building one on the field. If everyone including the supporters pulls together, T&T football will grow in a progressive and positive way.

Good luck to the TTFF, we hate the way you do things sometimes, but we love our country and our football. Let professionalism, organization and transparency prevail and success will follow.

Copyrights of the Soca Warriors Online - Any press using the following article written by Inshan Mohammed are welcome to do so providing they reveal the source and writer. Furthermore, no portion of this article may be copied without proper credit as well.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 04:29:08 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Prodigal son to assist Soca Warriors.
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:58:20 PM »
 Flex.. I love you and this forum...but sorry...this reeks of lots of bitterness
i satnd by my words
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:02:50 PM »
and i am on only the ' Tanner" parts...seriously bro...this is NOT GOOD

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:05:40 PM »
This article is well put together, it add balance as well BM.

Nothing bad was said about George and Charles.

I see the problem is, how Anton continue to get the good jobs despite continued failure, not that we team didn't qualify but its the way we exit the qualifiers at all levels, look at the last under 17 and under 20 teams, they got embarassed.

And the TTFF must stop taking us for fools, if they were the ones who gave Otto his staff then say so, whats the big deal ? but dont lie and say Otto pick these men ? maybe he did, he pick 3 out of 3.

Keep up the good work Flex.

So Flex, Lincoln de TIGER run and hide....  :devil:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:07:46 PM by Sando »

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »
BM while there might possibly be some bitterness here, at the same time Flex didnt only say who or what he didnt like but he also said what he did. I believe that Latas and Terry would both be great additions to the National setup and until we start having fair and balanced transparent appointments then we will continue to suck eggs. While Latas was given one chance to fail Tanner has been given several so in all fairness a little bitterness should be expected. now while i cant remember the "words that you standing behind" I know this for a fact that... Having the best uniform on the field doesnt make you the best player. It does have some man pulling up with some dutty washikong playin better ball. Translated.. with all the accolades that Anton or his dad or maybe their the same person might have it surely doesnt mean that he has the mental fortitude to speak english and not start cussin in spanish the very minute things go wrong. I am not a fan of Anton so maybe this as well is a bitter delivery. If so... then I too digress.   I think  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: for the article.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 10:12:16 PM »
and lads...good...this is a forum....and all aspects good....but we need to go a bit deeper sometimes...

i could understand the sentiments...but please.. i eh no suer typer like some here...
.meet me  for a beer...and ah tell yuh this thread will get smaller and smaller...

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »
Like the attempt, but as someone said - seems personal. On top of that, the problem is not the coaches, it's the fact that we do not have the players locally to compete regionally. On top of that, nobody in Trinidad really gives a rats ass about football......our national team could play tomorrow and there will be 100 people in the stands! Lots of talk about something that seems so irrelevant at this point. When our so call supporters really adopt a die hard attitude towards supporting our team(good or bad) then, it maybe worth something hammering Anton and all the rest of the of them down there! Until then, somebody spend some time setting up an environment for the talented 13s and 14s year olds out there so that they can have some sense of what it takes to play international football when they hit 18-19!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 11:30:40 PM »
Flex.. I love you and this forum...but sorry...this reeks of lots of bitterness
i satnd by my words

What "bitter" about it BM?  Questions must be asked, and clearly they not coming from the local "professionals".  The famous quote oft attributed to Einstein defines madness as repeating the same thing over and over again, but yet expecting different results.  With Anton is a steady case of wash, rinse, repeat.  How many opportunities will he be given before he is found wanting by the TTFF hierarchy.  Not that I personally desire his undoing, but objectively speaking, look at his CV and make a case as to why he's deserving of this apparent birthright appointment?

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 11:40:47 PM »
Like the attempt, but as someone said - seems personal. On top of that, the problem is not the coaches, it's the fact that we do not have the players locally to compete regionally. On top of that, nobody in Trinidad really gives a rats ass about football......our national team could play tomorrow and there will be 100 people in the stands! Lots of talk about something that seems so irrelevant at this point. When our so call supporters really adopt a die hard attitude towards supporting our team(good or bad) then, it maybe worth something hammering Anton and all the rest of the of them down there! Until then, somebody spend some time setting up an environment for the talented 13s and 14s year olds out there so that they can have some sense of what it takes to play international football when they hit 18-19!
First off, I have witnessed more than 100 people in the PFL games in Trinidad. Far less for an International game. Secondly your statement in red is exactly what a parent said in their statement. Yeh dey blamin de players but de coach aint a little faulty as well. you just flat out said IT IS NOT THE COACHES FAULT. So why then when Big clubs let go their big name coaches it is most times due to poor run of form. A Club owner would even set aside differences between themselves and the coaches because of a good run of form. Yes I agree with the other missing components as well but please don't completely exonerate the coaches completely. That would be disrespectful to the lads who would have gone out there and put in their shift. Ask any athlete if they went out on the court to lose.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 11:49:11 PM »
and lads...good...this is a forum....and all aspects good....but we need to go a bit deeper sometimes...

i could understand the sentiments...but please.. i eh no suer typer like some here...
.meet me  for a beer...and ah tell yuh this thread will get smaller and smaller...

BM I am sure the conspiracy realities (not theories) are plentiful and could probably even put understanding to the poor international of Coach Anton (It is de TTFF we talkin bout)but the fact remains that A coach does bad when his players do bad. As society sees it. To take oneself out of the equation is negligible. I fear this might be the same attitude on display from Anton, to the young players who might have a "Is not me who have to do good here, My business fix"  kinda coach as opposed to a " Team, I going down with de ship as well, so leh we fight till de last drop of sweat" attitude.
The entitlement thing seems a little questionable as well. And if a man say that was the best of the lot then expand the lot because you could only evaluate what is presented to you and the presenters (TTFF) are agenda-ed. not so?
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 12:55:42 AM »
My boy, listen I have played some good shit on the pitch and I am sure u have has well - provided you were a footballer? Anyway, I know personally that my shit performances had nothing to do with the poor instructions of my coach - it had everything to do with my inability(for whatever reasons) to execute the instructions of my coach - the inability of my teammates to execute the instructions of my coach. Football is a simple game made complex by people who have to justify the massive sums of money involved in the game today. Allyuh focused on Anton and Baber and George - the truth is these guys will be doing nothing more than putting down cones and handing out bibs.....if they pick up something from the coach - then good on them. The absolute fact of the matter is that we have not been able to produce anything that is capable of being good players! So while I like the fact that we are constantly involved in this banter  about who getting chance or not, the fact is Otto does not have shit to work with and thus, we will be lucky if we finish last in the concacaf!

quote author=davidephraim link=topic=53516.msg736958#msg736958 date=1303623647]
First off, I have witnessed more than 100 people in the PFL games in Trinidad. Far less for an International game. Secondly your statement in red is exactly what a parent said in their statement. Yeh dey blamin de players but de coach aint a little faulty as well. you just flat out said IT IS NOT THE COACHES FAULT. So why then when Big clubs let go their big name coaches it is most times due to poor run of form. A Club owner would even set aside differences between themselves and the coaches because of a good run of form. Yes I agree with the other missing components as well but please don't completely exonerate the coaches completely. That would be disrespectful to the lads who would have gone out there and put in their shift. Ask any athlete if they went out on the court to lose.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 12:59:08 AM by amwood »

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 01:25:26 AM »
And the beat goes on..
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 04:08:02 AM »
Decent aritcle Flex.

However, yuh dead wrong about Anton as a footballer. A fine prodigy, if anything, he, Dexter Skeene, Ronnie Simmons and David Mohammed got jammed simply because they went to a prestige school.

Thank God his father became Coach and gave the first three a chance. They never let him down.

You can accuse the Corneals of many things, however, the inability to play ball is not one of them.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 04:45:50 AM »
My boy, listen I have played some good shit on the pitch and I am sure u have has well - provided you were a footballer? Anyway, I know personally that my shit performances had nothing to do with the poor instructions of my coach - it had everything to do with my inability(for whatever reasons) to execute the instructions of my coach - the inability of my teammates to execute the instructions of my coach. Football is a simple game made complex by people who have to justify the massive sums of money involved in the game today. Allyuh focused on Anton and Baber and George - the truth is these guys will be doing nothing more than putting down cones and handing out bibs.....if they pick up something from the coach - then good on them. The absolute fact of the matter is that we have not been able to produce anything that is capable of being good players! So while I like the fact that we are constantly involved in this banter  about who getting chance or not, the fact is Otto does not have shit to work with and thus, we will be lucky if we finish last in the concacaf!

quote author=davidephraim link=topic=53516.msg736958#msg736958 date=1303623647]
[/quote]

In the singular context described Yes, it only takes one break down in the defense or on the flank for a goal to score. And yes we could go and equate a loss as the result of that breakdown thereby exonerating the coach from that specific situation.  However, A good coach with more player experience, more tactical awareness, more metal if I could round it all up.. would have instilled the tracking back,become your best when your at your worst, mental fortitude, ability to rely on and be inspired by your COACH. Your Rock Leader to whom you look to not only for strength but for the fixes to the problems incurred on the field. One unit. How do I as a player even put forth that kinda of energy when your coach continues to distance himself from the shit every-time it hits the fan. As opposed to embracing it and letting it be the scrap book from which he can propel his team further. I think that I dont know which part of the national setup I would put Anton. Ah was going and say something but Esmond have dat lock.....
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 06:09:01 AM »
Amwood ah good coach woulda ENSURE that you and yuh teamates develop de ability to execute his/her instructions, dais what good coaches do:)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
Nice article Flex, it is a good read and i am sure u got your facts straight.

However, if Otto was given an opportunity to "choose" assistants and this is who he chooses, then so be it! 

The man aint even start to work yet and all kinda talk takin place on this board. 

You recommended Fenwick and Latas, but how do we know if they applied for a job, or if they were interviewed, or if they went into interview and talk a pack of shit.  Latapy was a great player but that does translate into a great coach.  And Fenwick, while he has done well with Jabloteh, one cannot forget and condone his behaviour on the sideline sometimes. 

On the issue of Corneal and his "tough talk" in the dressing room........so what!!??!!

EVery coach does it!! I remember one of my pardners who played for Princess Town while Jan Steadman was the coach said that the left back made a bad pass, and Jan sub him and tell him "yuh see you, you should take up ah sport like swimming, so when yuh do shit, yuh go drown!!".  Nobody make ah bad pass after dat!! LOL

The problem with our young players is that they do well in a local setting and think that all players in the world does play like that and that they real good!!  And when dey get ah dose of reality, they does want to cry!!  They does forget all the "intercol bull" that they getting from them girls and dem, or de "ranks in the town".

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 07:54:44 AM »
Boss article Flex !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOSS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you should know better Flex, dont expect LP to answer anything, he biting time to retirement, he eh here to cause no stir, even if T&T football go down the tubes, he only peeping....

Nobody here or in T&T even questioning Anton appointment, Flex is the only one saying something and just asking for answers as to what is the criteria for assistant coach in T&T and pointed out Anton of the three men because of his STATS which Anton is full of and not a good one too.... de article clearly shows his coaching experience, this was NOT made up....

Anton, had one successful game with the under 17's and the other 99% was pure failure (stats dont lie) and yet he still have a job !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and to make matters worst he is also our technical director for the entire youth program in T&T who continues to fail and fail badly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! our team still loosing in this day and age 5-0 and 7-0 zero,,,,, CONSISTENTLY.... even Suriname, Haiti and Jamaica doing better, and we have more money and better facilities than them....

What has Anton done for youth football since he got the position as TD of the youth program in T&T ? to hell we didn't qualify for any world championships, but de team play some blasted poor structured football.

Who picks the players, set the formation, make subs, prepare teams, make a program and so on,,,, not de blasted coach and de man who incharge of de youth programs, eh. !!! Look SKHY going to the Dallas Cup every year, how and what Anton doing to help better our youths, ent he is de TD for all YOUTH teams......

Yea, de players could take some blame to, not all de blame though !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look Benhakker take 98% of de same players Bertille had and make them play better and qualify for a WC....

Anton preparing a team for a tournament 2 months before de tournament and he also refusing to accept any help from the foreign players even if they 10 times better, he inviting players to trial in Miami with de under 20 team and then sending them home saying de team broke and they cant afford to bring them down for further games, so why de hell he trial them in de first place then ?

So it dam personal yea.

And this is not only about Anton, but the TTFF, because they pick a man who continues to fail, Anton involved in everything, from de under 15, under 17, under 20, senior and junior women teams and now senior team, he really is de prodigal son.

Terry Fenwick and Michael Grayson should be involved in T&T football.

And Flex did point out that Baba and George justify their picks...

PS: And VB, who place Anton Corneal could have taken in the Strike Squad ? now Alvin was a difference case, but de issue here is not about Alvin and how he use to play... Anton could have made the Strike Squad bench at best.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:03:19 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 08:23:52 AM »

The problem with our young players is that they do well in a local setting and think that all players in the world does play like that and that they real good!!  And when dey get ah dose of reality, they does want to cry!!  They does forget all the "intercol bull" that they getting from them girls and dem, or de "ranks in the town".

So who selects these players ? This is not community football we talking bout. This is having the ability to select the best, the best are the individuals who are able to make the best decisions on and off the field, choosing the leaders based on Proven ability to give guidance and develop the people, not choose based on a popularity vote.  players could be good at the game in a local setting, but on a national setting, not the type of player yuh need in that position...similarly TTFf and it's choices of coaches...my opinion, problem is the TTFf and selections, not those that are selected

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 08:42:58 AM »
I think Anton is the most 'qualified' coach to fit several key coaching positions in Trinidad and Tobago.

If I am not mistaken, he holds a USSF "A" License, National "Y" License, NSCAA Advance or Premier Diploma and had several decent coaching experiences (community college coach etc) in the United States before returning home. So as far as licenses is concerned, he is the most qualified local product we have (I think). Hence, I understand the reasoning behind his selection.

Digressing a bit, we have coaches in the professional league that coach top teams but don't even have their 'C' license or just acquired it. Of course Anton will get the notch over them when it comes to selection (not to mention, he is the only coach that is given all the coaching opportunities so his resume continues to become "decorated").  

However, Anton has failed many times when it comes to coaching for Trinidad. As you mentioned in the article, the U-17 qualified for the WC kind courtesy the help of Leo. This is no secret.

Also, there is going to be blatant shifts in the selection process now.  Obviously the head coach depends on the local staff to help in the selection process of players. We will now see players that have been ignored under other coaches, now back in the mix. Is this a good thing? Maybe....maybe not?

Let's see what's the outcome of this.

Kingman
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:56:20 AM by kingman »

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 09:00:32 AM »
   :banginghead: :banginghead:

The problem with these people  they keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results and alyuh know what they say about people like that .
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:54:29 AM by Flex »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 09:10:25 AM »
I think Anton is the most 'qualified' coach to fit several key coaching positions in Trinidad and Tobago.

If I am not mistaken, he holds a USSF "A" License, National "Y" License, NSCAA Advance or Premier Diploma and had several decent coaching experiences (community college coach etc) in the United States before returning home. So as far as licenses is concerned, he is the most qualified local product we have (I think). Hence, I understand the reasoning behind his selection.

Digressing a bit, we have coaches in the professional league that coach top teams but don't even have their 'C' license or just acquired it. Of course Anton will get the notch over them when it comes to selection (not to mention, he is the only coach that is given all the coaching opportunities so his resume continues to become "decorated").   

However, Anton has failed many times when it comes to coaching for Trinidad. As you mentioned in the article, the U-17 qualified for the WC kind courtesy the help of Leo. This is no secret.

Also, there is going to be blatant shifts in the selection process now.  Obviously the head coach depends on the local staff to help in the selection process of players. We will now see players that have been ignored under other coaches, now back in the mix. Is this a good thing? Maybe....maybe not?

Let's see what's the outcome of this.

Kingman

You said it here, how did Anton became one of the most qualified and decorted coach in T&T, if the TTFF continue to push him then off course he will be the most decorated, but it does not mean he is the best man for the job. He continues to make the same mistakes all the time, so obviously he NOT learing anything...

Look my grandmother still have she driver's license and she does real bad drive people on de streets, I does only duck and mash brakes when she giving me a ride, if ah drunk and dont want to drive.

So you make a good point and just confirm with what Flex saying here, Anton resume looks great because the people behind him continue to keep pushing him in the right direction.

Look Jamal Shabaaz was a terrorist before Bin Laden and now he is a football coach for T&T women team and Guyana national team. So is not what yuh know these days, its who yuh know.

PS: I think Terry Fenwick has a UFEA "A" License too, but he got his the right way. Stuart Charles is another good coach to.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:37:01 AM by Sam »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 09:45:41 AM »
Sam, Fenwick holds a UEFA 'A' license.

But, we both know Trinidad will never put him in any position to coach ANY national team.

Stuart Charles got his chance already too and he failed. He is also not a 'local' product. Have St Lucia ever went to a Gold Cup? Have St Lucia ever won a Caribbean Cup? Have St Lucia ever went to a World Cup? Have St  Lucia ever produced a world class player/s?

Charles can go back to St Lucia for all I care.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 09:53:01 AM »
Good article Flex.

Anton went along for the experience in Germany under Beenhakker as his assistant coach (one off) and by now (5 years later) he should have been head coach for T&T if he had learnt anything from the Germany experience and Beenhakker.

Instead the TTFF continues to find other jobs for him.

Though your article was a bit long it was worth the read because I understand you had to present your facts.

Keep up the good work Flex.

If Anton deserve the job, fine, if he doesn't then good bye and by now it takes no brain surgeon to recognised he has gotten to many chances and didn't nothing to earn it or keep it.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:57:32 AM by Flex »

Offline SabreWolves

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
   :banginghead: :banginghead:The problem with these people  they keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results and alyuh know what they say about people like that .
Ditto

Bottom line ---  Pfister should be given his choice of Assistants.

If he is limited to these " local experts" then we should expect the same results as previous coaches who were also limited to the assistants.

Nothing changes if nothing changes.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 10:16:09 AM »
i disagree with anton being the asst coach, but as kingman pointed out, we all know fenwick will not get the job with the ttff and anton is the next qualified coach by resume and experience

bottom line is, pfister is in charge and will dictate the order of things
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:23:10 AM by Controversial »

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 10:32:58 AM »
I just had to come out and say something.

Good read Flex and nice article, you said it right, based on your assessments Anton has gotten alot of chances and does not justify his selection. As Sam pointed out, stats dont lie, guys, we cannot get carried away because of personal feelings towards Anton.

I know Anton Corneal personally and he is a very nice person who seems genuine about football, but does he have the mentality to lead or assist T&T, I am not sure about that. Time will tell...

To be a good coach you need to be a good motivator and a good tactician among other things. This will explain our last under 17 team that went to Mexico and got humiliated under Anton and he turned around and blamed the players, the players parents could vouch for me here too.

I spoke to Jack Warner a few years ago under the Beenhakker era and he told me indirectly that he does not care to much for Anton and Lincoln Phillips. Aparently, Keith Look Loy is another problem in the TTFF, these men are not geniune and they try to spite LP and others in the TTFF.

I take it that Anton is still here as part of T&T football because of his father Alvin Corneal who seems to have some strong hold on Jack. ?

The question here is, did Otto Pfister really picked these guys ? come on, we all know the answer.

Another thing Flex, you made a good point here, I to feel Lincoln Phillips should play a part as T&T assistant coach.

As for Kingman reply to Stuart Charles, I am 100% sure if Stuart Charles had gotten the chances Anton got he would have done better, Charles spent 6 months as T&T coach ? I am not defending Charles, just making a point.

I understand we cannot qualify for every world cup, but I am sure we could put on a better show.

By the way, wasn't Ron LaForest, Brian Williams and Clayton Morris part of our senior team once ? their time was so short that I cant remember.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:42:25 AM by Flex »

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 12:22:31 PM »
What Flex has said about Corneal and Shabazz is true and those questions need to be asked.
Only problem I have is that is is also puts George and Charles in a somewhat negative light but then again if the pinnacle of coaching is at the national team level then one must have a track record of proven success. After all, isn't that why Pfister was hired? So why not hold his assistants to the same standard.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 12:25:16 PM »
Whether you agree with the arguments and conclusions of Flex's article or not, one thing is obvious in the coaching selection process in Trinidad and Tobago.  Some people get many chances while others are sidelined and ignored after one or two opportunities.  How do you explain the fact that our Strike Squad coach, "Gally" Cummings, was never given another opportunity at any level after failing by one (lucky, some believe) US goal to make it to the World Cup.  How do you explain that Bertille St. Claire was sidelined after taking the Soca Warriors to the Gold Cup final and barely failing to win it - something no other coach had done, despite a fairrly good coaching career at international level with different teams!   Those are some of the questions that need answers in light of Anton Corneal's continual movement from team to team despite failures, and embarassment of our teams I might add, at various levels?
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 12:36:29 PM »
StoreBoy

To this day Gally is bitter and rightly so, but just like Bertille, his success has been rewarded with banishment. So maybe if they had failed miserably they would have been still coaching.

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »
This is a decent article and prodigiously (pun intended) factual. The tone is no different to the tone that JW uses  when he is fighting against something he sees as wrong. I have been advocating, for many years now, the promotion of Fenwick as a national youth developer. Latapy, well justs say that I dont want another Corneal on our hands. He has failed as a national coach. He needs to show that he can coach consistently well in another sphere before being give another opportunity with any other national team. Youth delopment also? Maybe, but with other people choosing the players for him to develop. He doesn't have an eye for talent! Do you guys realise that not one of these assts has been coaching any club team as a headcoach anywhere on a consistent basis.
Keith Look loy is bitter, dishonest lackey. This guy told me with his own mouth that he is responsoble for anyone seeking a national coaching stint in T&T and that as far as he is concerned, anyone seeking a national job in the future,  must have on his resume at least a stint coaching day in and day out  at club level somewhere in the world. Or, he must have a long successful record at the international level. Corneal, George and Baba fail miserably in these areas. What Look loy was really saying is that his job is to exclude anyone he or his boss do not like, punto final! I am convinced that with proper management we can qualify for every WC out of COncacaf. But, with this bunch of jokers and losers running our football this will always be a hit or miss task.

1]; } ?>