April 28, 2024, 02:49:21 AM

Author Topic: Improving the game locally.  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Improving the game locally.
« on: May 04, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »
Improving the game locally.
By: Inshan Mohammed.

If you ask me, Dwight Yorke was already a superstar in the making before Trinidad and Tobago came calling.

In 1988 when the Signal Hill 16-year old Tobago-born striker made his T&T debut for the 'Strike Squad' he already possessed the necessary talent and skill to be a top player, but those attributes needed nurturing.

Same can be said about many top players who emerged on the international circuit such as; Arnold Dwarika (Malick Secondary Comprehensive), Keon Daniel (Signal Hill), Clint Marcelle (Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive), Everald Cummings (Fatima College), Steve David (St. Benedict's College), Alvin Corneal (Fatima College), Russell Latapy (San Fernando Technical Institute), Khaleem Hyland (Mucurapo Senior Comprehensive), Carlos Edwards (St Anthony's College), Stern John (El Dorado Secondary Comprehensive), Kenwyne Jones (St Anthony's College), Noel Llewellyn (Piccadilly E.C. School), Lincoln Phillips (Queen's Royal College), Shaka Hislop (St. Mary's College) and Leonson Lewis (Naparima College) and the list goes on.

Sadly, had the above mentioned players stayed in T&T, their talent would have been wasted.

In my opinion, the Trinidad and Tobago Secondary School Football League (SSFL) Program is one of, if not the most important part of any T&T footballer’s development if they are desirous of becoming a top international player.

This is where it all begins, at the grassroots level where players learn their first set of fundamental training and team work to set themselves up for their future career in professional football.

It is very important that the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF),  try and bridge the gap between school and professional football.

Our current Youth Program Technical Director Mr. Anton Corneal and the Trinidad and Tobago Technical Director Mr. Lincoln Phillips should definitely look into the following. I know first hand that Mr. Phillips would definitely welcome this move.

The SSFL is a stepping stone to a brighter tomorrow, so here are a few questions and concerns;

1. What is being done to preserve the game and the support it receives?
As we have observed over the past decade that the support for the game has diminished tremendously. In my time growing up and attending SSFL games, I saw passion on the field and full stadiums. Every team had a superstar and they played each others as arch-rivals. Now the supporters are drying up. Another reason that could be adding to this problem as it normally happens in the T&T Pro League is too many conflicting fixtures where matches are changed without properly informing the public well in-advance. Games should also be broadcasted on both TV and radio stations.

2. What is being done to improve the coaches?
I know just recently there had been coaching seminars staged by the TTFF to help improve coaching in T&T. Though some of the SSFL coaches attended, many didn't. I believe this should be one of the requirements a coach needs in order for him or her to be a coach at this level. They must all possess a valid FIFA license among other requirements.

3. What is being done to improve our young players’, skills, physique, diet and mental state?
Coaches must act as father figures to these young impressionable players. Too many times we see our footballers make wrong decisions in their career. They need to be guided and nurtured so that they can mature the right way, mentally and physically so that they can best utilize their skills and preserve it. Gyms should be in every school and proper nutritional programs should be provided by the government.

4. What is being done to improve relations between the schools, players’ parents and the Federation?
All must be on the same page. Every quarter these 3 parties should get together and discuss ways forward. This should not be a spitting competition, but a mere meeting of the minds to ensure matters like sustained balance in our young footballers’ football and academic life achieved.

5. What is being done to improve the standard of football in the League, and by extension the region?
An Island InterCol tournament should be implemented, where by the champions from Jamaica, Barbados, St Lucia, St Kitts, Cuba, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Trinidad and Tobago and Haiti SSFL could have a face off at rotating venues every year. T&T does have the facilities to accommodate such a tournament. International exposure at this young age consistently would be a valuable experience.

6. Can establishing an athletic college or a football academy be beneficial to T&T football?
Certainly! Oil prices are at its high and T&T is known for its oil rich economy. Money is no issue and with the right planning it can be a wise investment. Mr. Jack Warner is now a minister in our government and is also a major contributor to our football federation. He can be the catalyst along with Mr. Anil Roberts to make this a reality. Now would be the perfect time to invest in an athletic college/football academy. Why?
• a) Players who lose out on studies at the secondary level because of sports, whether it be track, basketball, swimming or football can continue their education and career at a higher level.
• b) We lose hundreds of good players who go aboard on US/Canada scholarships.
• c) This would be the perfect opportunity for players to make a step closer to going pro or the next level up.
• d) The athletic college football team, for example can play in the Oasis Youth Pro League and the yearly Dallas Cup which is a highly competitive international football tournament for invited youth teams, held annually in Dallas, Texas.
• e) We can further align ourselves with the Dutch football model, by forging an affiliation agreement between the proposed athletic college/football academy and the KNVB (The Dutch football federation) or one of its renown football clubs, such as Ajax.

If all of this could be made possible, Trinidad and Tobago as a team would be well represented. Not to mention, it will definitely help keep the kids off the street.

Getting the Pro-League on the right track.

The Trinidad and Tobago Professional Football League (TTPL) also plays an important part in players and coaching development of today’s game and more or less should follow a similar pattern. They too need to come up with fresh ideas on how to improve the game.

In my view, to improve the game, you need to improve the quality of coaches and players, and the fan support. Once this is accomplished everything else will follow.

Allow me to mention also that advertisement goes a long way. It sells, like it or not. Advertising the following proposed match ups may be the spark that is needed to ignite consistent fan support.

All Star games.
The best of the Pro League vs T&T's Best - Best Foreign 11, SSFL All Stars vs Youth Pro League All Star, SSFL All Star Girls vs T&T Under 20 Women team, etc.

North vs South classic.
A best of the North and South will surely bring some excitement to the game and definitely improve the support.

Invite foreign teams on preseason like the MLS do.
This will give the local players a taste of international football, attract sponsor and give our players a chance to showcase their talent with the hope of obtaining foreign contracts.

Limit foreigners in the league.
Have a limit of 6 foreign players on a 24 man roster for each team.

Have football and family day where players can interact with their communities directly.
This will make the supporters feel wanted and respected, not to mention the players will also feel valued and in turn strive to do their best to please their supporters.

Give all the Pro League game venues a nickname that is indicative of the clubs that use them as home fields.
Every team should have its own home ground. Maybe a good idea would be to eliminate playing Pro League matches at the main stadiums. These stadiums take away home advantage and support, as fans may not want to take the long drive through traffic to support their teams. Not to mention, the Clubs would save a handful on stadium rental fees.

Pro League teams would feel a sense of pride to defend their turf. Funding from the government can go towards upgrading and renovating the best community fields so Pro League teams can return to their communities. These grounds can be more beneficial to clubs as they are located in or near the communities and the fields are closer to the fans in the stands.

Forming partnerships.
It would be worthwhile for the League to form partnerships with foreign clubs, financial institutions, sports stores and fast food outlets. Affiliations with foreign clubs could lead to players being traded for short-term contracts or advance training. Forming partnerships with banks, could afford fans the option of making donations and receiving a tax credit. At sport stores affiliates fans would be able to purchase items that reflect support for their teams. Team products can also be sold online to cater to the foreign based supporters. Fast-food outlets such as KFC and Pizza Hut can implement incentive programs where by certain meals can get you a free ticket to a game. In return the League could receive promotional marketing and a percentage of the revenue generated. Players family and school kids should also get the opportunity to purchase discounted tickets.

Tax right offs.
Companies who sponsor teams should receive tax right offs.

Fixtures and season tickets.
If fixtures are changed, it must be well publicized in advance to the general public. A season ticket program will be beneficial to both the League and the fans. It is a good way for the League to receive revenue upfront and it would be more of an incentive for fans to commit to attending games.

Keep Tobago football alive.
The League and government must ensure that a team from Tobago is represented in the Pro League. The Government funding should not be used to support teams in Trinidad alone. There are other teams in the League who need financial support as well. As we all know, Police FC and Defence Force are government teams.

Promotion and relegation.
I propose that we have a 4 tier league structure in T&T and allow for a promotion and relegation system.
1) T&T Pro League (Pro League)
2) National Super League (NSL)
3) T&T Elite Football League (EFL)
4) National Zonal League (NZL)

There are too many small leagues that negatively affect the major leagues in T&T. It’s time to pool our resources and work together.

The Pro League should also have some support from the government/FIFA financially so promoted teams are awarded some sort of money to compete once promoted. The same should be done with teams who compete at the CFU Champion Cup level.

All of these ideas are just ways to move forward, but they are not going to be easy to implement and execute. I know that current CEO Dexter Skeene and his associate Julia Baptiste are doing a marvelous job, but maybe accepting a little help and advice from outside sources may not be such a bad idea.

Improving the game at the local level is the only way forward. We must all join forces and do our part to help elevate T&T football to a place of prominence.

We cannot continue to depend on foreign teams to develop and improve our players. We need to do our best with our own, as many of our talented players may not have the opportunity of going aboard.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:15:53 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Improving the game locally.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
Good stuff Flex.
If yuh decide to run for TTFF to clean it out and restore T&T football and maximize our potential, you will have plenty support.

:beermug:
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »
brilliant...think and type man...excellent
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
excellent read....

Offline Gazza

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 05:37:42 AM »
I have been saying that our sportsmen at the secondary school level should be separated from the normal academic routine for a while now. Its the only way to reach to the level of mexico in  a short space of time.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 06:22:58 AM »
I have been saying that our sportsmen at the secondary school level should be separated from the normal academic routine for a while now. Its the only way to reach to the level of mexico in  a short space of time.

U need 2 get d parents to buy in 4 this 2 work.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:47:42 AM »
I said it in the past and I will say it again.

Flex, you should be working for the TTFF.

Love this article.

In a environment like the current TTFF/pro league, this will never get the chance to get off the ground, because they are a bunch of unprofessional pigs who working for the TTFF.

SPoRTT is also a big shit company, they do nothing for sports in T&T.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 07:59:56 AM »
On the issue of transition from Intercol to the pro level, we hadda investigate formalising the transition.
the ideal situation is a draft, just like the US has with its sports. The problem is that there should be a bridge between intercol and full pros, its difficult for a 17yr old to move from school football to full blown pro ball, unless he unique.
The problem is that we only have 2 main universities in T&T, so how would a draft work?

I would go as far to say that Intercol is a decent infrastructure, obviously can be improved. It does its job for teenagers up to about 15-16. Its just they lack that transition. But if these players get a few more years at an intermediary stage, that will better help them for full blow professional football, just like college ball in the US does for the NFL.
Maybe if we have an academy, that would be 3 teams (UWI and UTT as well), then somehow get a few more teams involved.
Maybe Univ of the southern caribbean could be another sometime.
COSTATT? We dont even have a tertiary league like the NCAA in the US. Or you can simply institute a rule - no PFL club can recruit a player unless he has completed 6th form?? That in itself gives him more time to develop at a youth level and also get some passes to help him in the future.
I can see a leage with UWI, UTT, Football Academy, COSTATT, USouthern Caribbean, EAST ZONE 6th form, NOTH ZONE 6th form etc etc.

In other words you use football to give yutes  a chance to develop another life skill cause obviously not all them would make it. Plus it serve as a stepping stone to pro ball if they so choose afterwards.
The problem is that T&T pro clubs in the bigger jist of things not really that appealing.
A college player in the US could think if he excels he can start dreaming of the millions and big life after if he gets drafted, in T&T, you dont have that so no incentive. A player can just come out school as a 15year old, join a pro-team youth setup and then work his way up from that.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 08:03:44 AM »
Excellent stuff Flex..

This is the kinda positive discourse we need to help play a part in moving the football forward.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »
BOSS ARTICLE FLex !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But this will nevr happen, simply because their are to much bosses in T&T football...

The head of the SSFL not seeing eye to eye with the TTFF, Tobago football vs TTFF, Pro League vs TTFF, Pro League vs Super League... etc etc......

Everybody wants to be a boss and none of them is for the benefit of the league or players, instead they just killing our football.

Sam, SPoRT is a government company who doesn't know what the hell is going on in the country as far as sports goes. They are just here like everyone else in the TTFF, Parliment, Pro League, SSFL etc to get a big fat pay check.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 03:43:30 PM »
The head of the SSFL not seeing eye to eye with the TTFF

Sando,
               from what I have heard, that is no longer the case. Jack has finally have them in he pocket. Years ago CFL had always resisted the TTFF advances, but not again. Remember last year when they hosted the Girls WC, the SSFL played one round of football. Well a coach told me he put forward a plan where they could have played the first round games much earlier. The school official were coy with the idea. It was ridiculous.

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 04:24:11 PM »
Great stuff Flex... But just to touch on your opening point about players in the SSFL and the long list of greats you mentioned, I think for the vast majority of youth players, 15-16 years is too late to start looking at their development. This should be done much earlier. 

Im here in SW Florida where we have one of, if not the largest youth soccer program in the US and after all these years I'm still amazed to see  8-10 year old boys and girls with really good fundamentals, trapping, passing inside and outside of the foot, ball striking, crossing the ball... don't talk about the goal-keepers. If we are to compete with the US and Mexico we have to cultivate our natural talent and instill good footballing habits long before they reach secondary school.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 07:46:28 PM »
College, I understand and agree to some extent, however, only recently we have had a Primary School League, which I think is a great idea, not sure how long it would last, but I hope it do.

I was mainly focusing on players who are going to make a transition into a higher league. The competition in the SSFL is make or break, this is where players either get pro contracts or school scholarships... this league is a showcase of some sort.... not to mention players are more mature and will understand the concept of life.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 08:32:00 PM »
The Pro League should also have some support from the government/FIFA financially so promoted teams are awarded some sort of money to compete once promoted. The same should be done with teams who compete at the CFU Champion Cup level.

The League and government must ensure that a team from Tobago is represented in the Pro League. The Government funding should not be used to support teams in Trinidad alone. There are other teams in the League who need financial support as well. As we all know, Police FC and Defence Force are government teams.

Well said Flex on this point, I think other bigger leagues get support from FIFA to compete internationally, Europe etc. Look at Caledonia begging for money and they are still in the first stage of the CFU.

We have a man who is head of concacaf and FIFA and our clubs are suffering, if Joe Public was in the same boat as Caledonia, I am sure Jack would have made sure FIFA fund his team.

Defence Force is a government team, they have the money to compete..

Then again, if Tempete FC of Haiti could come to T&T then why cant Caledonia do the same ? poor management ?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 08:34:12 PM by Sando »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 08:57:37 PM »
Well said Flex on this point, I think other bigger leagues get support from FIFA to compete internationally, Europe etc. Look at Caledonia begging for money and they are still in the first stage of the CFU.

CFU don't have money like UEFA to distribute to clubs. You on your own, pardner!

We have a man who is head of concacaf and FIFA and our clubs are suffering, if Joe Public was in the same boat as Caledonia, I am sure Jack would have made sure FIFA fund his team.

JP cannot be in the same boat as Caledonia. They had money before jack came into gov't. But I see whwere you heading with that. But how that go look if a gov't minister getting money from the gov't to su[pport his team.

Of course he can and is using FiFA(His) money to fund JP.!

Then again, if Tempete FC of Haiti could come to T&T then why cant Caledonia do the same ? poor management ?

Football is the main sport of Haiti with a pop. of over 9 mill. Don't let the poverty of Haiti fool all yuh. There are lot's of rich Haitian who love football passionately enough to to dole out money to support a team. Just like jack, John Williams, Duprey(he is gone, too bad).
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 09:00:33 PM by Deeks »

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 05:33:15 AM »
Brilliant!!

Absolutely brilliant!!

Even if half of these suggestions were implemented, we would be way better off as a footballing nation.

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Errol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 06:24:44 AM »
Great stuff Flex... But just to touch on your opening point about players in the SSFL and the long list of greats you mentioned, I think for the vast majority of youth players, 15-16 years is too late to start looking at their development. This should be done much earlier. 

Im here in SW Florida where we have one of, if not the largest youth soccer program in the US and after all these years I'm still amazed to see  8-10 year old boys and girls with really good fundamentals, trapping, passing inside and outside of the foot, ball striking, crossing the ball... don't talk about the goal-keepers. If we are to compete with the US and Mexico we have to cultivate our natural talent and instill good footballing habits long before they reach secondary school.

You have to remember, in the US things are run more organized, in T&T and especially under Jack Warner football is run poorly, if Jack Warner does not come up with the idea himself, he will not go for it. He also has to benefit from it for him to take any interest.

And Dexter Skeene is a mold from Jack Warner, he to might not be interested in what Flex have to say here because he didn't come up with it.

These men to big for that, they dont want to be out place by a normal person.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 09:00:54 AM »
Send this to the new Technical Director Flex. ?

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 10:37:34 AM »
The whole stadium issue is the key. Once a team has its own stadium, fans have a home and become "hooked" to the team. A stadium also gives you a focal point in the community to them embark of many of Flex's ideas, such as coaching schools, corporate events etc.
A stadium is also an income generating tool, from naming rights to bar and food services to community and corporate events, as well as fetes and concerts.

Finally, no European, South American or U.S. teams would play pre season in T&T because the facilities and surfaces are below standard. A coach doesn't want to risk needless injury pre season. Even Hasely Crawford is not able to host daily training sessions for two weeks combined with, say, 5 matches.

Thus, if clubs had their own stadiums with all weather surfaces, a medium to major team could play 5 or 6 Pro League teams as their pre season or even invite across teams from Barbados, Grenada, Venezuela etc.

The funny thing is that a stadium is actually financially viable. If the govt could lease land, the building can be financed very easily. A stadium has to be income generating 7 days a week, if not, it becomes an expense and ends up being poorly maintained.

Offline tempo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 04:59:36 PM »
Football Supporter, that's not necessarily true about teams not wanting to come to T&T. Apparently , Glasgow Rangers were looking to come to T&T in July but the deal fell through on T&T's side.

Grass surfaces can be treated and brought to world class standards fairly easily with enough time and limitation of traffic.

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 05:16:07 PM »
Football Supporter, that's not necessarily true about teams not wanting to come to T&T. Apparently , Glasgow Rangers were looking to come to T&T in July but the deal fell through on T&T's side.

Grass surfaces can be treated and brought to world class standards fairly easily with enough time and limitation of traffic.

Thing is, we don't know why they didn't come. Yes, grass can be treated, and surfaces here would need lots of watering in the dry season, but compared with even league two facilities in England, the surfaces and facilities are still generally poor. In my opinion, the govt don't really understand the need to maintain facilities or have the will to spend the money required. Aside from QRC, there aren't really club owned stadia, so theres no desire to change this situation. Even the artificial pitch at Marvin Lee is woefully below standard and does not meet FIFA 2 status. 

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 06:02:48 PM »
Football Supporter, Stadium is not an issue in TT anymore. We have stadiums up we ying-yang that we don't know what to do with. The problem is maintenance. They use the stadium especially HS,  as a multiple use facility. It appears to me (correct me) that they dont cover the field and the running track. How often do they water the field, especially in the dry season. The Oval use to be used for cricket, football and the playing surface always immaculate. Why it is the HS surface can't be maintained properly.

The next thing with club tours is who sponsoring the tours. Long ago TTFF would get companies, like Neil&Massey, Carib and other companies to sponsor tours. Or if you had people like Arthur Suite in his days who use to bring down all them clubs. But the difference was to play his team, ASL. Right now we don't have any rich people who want to do that. And we don't know how ttff goes about getting local firms to sponsor.  Can jack get Carib, Ispatt or business partners to sponsor tours? I don't know. It is all about money. Come up with a down payment that they can't refuse and they will be here.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:04:49 PM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 05:14:18 AM »
Mr Oliver Camps told me: "Dear Mr. Mohammed, with regards to your Football Development article, thank you for your input. I have forwarded same to our Technical Committe for consideration".

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2011, 10:00:10 AM »
Mr Oliver Camps told me: "Dear Mr. Mohammed, with regards to your Football Development article, thank you for your input. I have forwarded same to our Technical Committe for consideration".

He say when dey paying de players?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 11:01:32 AM »

:rotfl:
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2011, 12:17:01 PM »

Maybe Flex need to write another article along those lines ;D

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »

Flex, Camps bullshitting you bro, he probably send that in his deleted bin.  :devil:

And even if he send is to Keith Look Loy, they will never take your advice, because they dont like being outclassed, they didn't came up with this, so they will not listen.

Sad indeed.

Everyone in T&T trying to outshine the other when they should all pull together.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2011, 08:09:02 AM »
Yea Flex, Why didn't you send this to Dexter Skeene and the person who runs the SSFL ?

1]; } ?>