April 20, 2024, 02:38:19 AM

Author Topic: Mary Quite Contrary  (Read 5349 times)

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
Mary Quite Contrary
« on: May 08, 2011, 04:44:59 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Just_Call_Me_Roger_trots_up-121452593.html

Mary Quite Contrary

Minister's family firm awarded Govt contract, but King says all was above board

By Camini Marajh Head Investigative Desk

Questions have been raised as to whether Planning, Economic and Social Restructuring and Gender Affairs Minister Mary King breached the law when she failed to disclose her pecuniary and family interest in a software engineering company, Ixanos Ltd, which won a Government website development contract from her ministry last November.

Minister King, an economist and a former independent senator, is the corporate secretary on record and a joint shareholder with husband Dr St Clair King of Ixanos, which is Greek for excellence.

Sunday Express investigations into the award of the near $100,000 website development contract found the minister failed to disclose her interest in the family-owned business, was present at the opening of the bids and was involved in the selection process of the four-member evaluation team which picked Ixanos.

Denying all breaches on Thursday, however, Minister King, in a telephone interview with the Sunday Express, insisted the Government website development contract awarded to her family company was open and transparent and did not "at all" represent a conflict of interest. She said she had no involvement with the tender process, nor did she know the family-owned business was bidding for work in her ministry until the actual opening of the bids on October 1 last year.

Did she declare her interest then? "No."

Did she inform the permanent secretary or anyone else her immediate family (husband, St Clair, and son, Stephen) was associated with the company? "No, and you know why I didn't, I thought the very fact that I am saying that —that they could be biased for or against. So I did nothing."

Asked whether she did not think it necessary to disclose her interest at that point of discovery to avoid the pitfalls of a conflict of interest, Minister King said: "No. I did not think it was necessary. I could have biased them one way or the other. So I thought the safest thing to do is to do nothing. In fact, I washed my hands off it."

But her stand back from the process came after she took part in a group discussion with the ministry's in-house contract experts and other department heads on the selection of the bid-evaluation team, which comprised Deosaran Bisnath, IT manager; Ephraim Serrette of the National Transformation Unit; Andrea Julien, a senior legal officer; and Annitra Boodoo, the minister's personal secretary and a political appointee.

On Thursday, Minister King sought to shake off suggestions her presence at the opening of the tenders and her involvement in the selection process of the bid-evaluation team or having her people involved in the transaction was a direct conflict of interest. "Not at all, not at all," was the constant refrain. She said the four-member bid-evaluation team was appointed through a collaborative process.

"Having come out of the UDeCott (Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago) experience and having that under this ministry—this was our first bid, and we sat and we went through the process with everybody. All the people that could ever be involved in contracts, the heads, the permanent secretaries, everybody. We went through the process and then they did their analysis. All of that was done outside of my realm. We did it collaboratively," she said. Did she recommend her personal secretary, Annitra Boodoo? "Because she was an engineer, of course," said King.

Was there concern Boodoo's selection to the evaluation team could present a conflict of interest? "Not really," according to the minister. "She is my personal assistant. She is working with me under a post that is called a secretary, but because of her skills as an engineer in innovation, she was also asked to sit on the team."

She made clear: "This is the Government. We are doing what is in the best interest for the Government and for the people. Who is the best person to put? She (Boodoo) is just one of four or five people on the team." Asked to explain the fact she is on the company registry record as Ixanos corporate secretary at the last annual return filing on July 20, 2009, she said: "Yeah, I believe that should be changed."

Pressed on what appears to be a clear and direct conflict of interest and breach of the Integrity in Public Life Act, Minister King said: "Yeah, well, I don't attend their (Ixanos) meetings. They probably haven't sent in their annual return for the last year. As soon as they get their lawyer to go back and do their registration for 2010, that should be changed."

Section 24 (1) of the Integrity in Public Life Act, under the heading Code of Conduct, states: "A person to whom this part applies shall ensure that he performs his functions and administers the public resources for which he is responsible in an effective and efficient manner and shall (c) arrange his private interests, whether pecuniary or otherwise, in such a manner as to maintain public confidence and trust in his integrity."

Section 24 (2 b) makes clear a public official: "Shall not engage in any transaction, acquire any position or have any commercial or other interest that is incompatible with his office, function and duty or the discharge thereof."

The conflict of interest clause, Section 29 (1) states: "For the purposes of this Act, a conflict of interest is deemed to arise if a person in public life or any person exercising a public function were to make or participate in the making of a decision in the execution of his office, and at the time knows or ought reasonably to have known that in the making of the decision, there is an opportunity, either directly or indirectly, to further his private interests or that of a member of his family or any other person."

Section 29 (2) of the Integrity Act goes further to say: "Where there is a possible or perceived conflict of interest, a person to whom this part applies, shall disclose his interest in accordance with prescribed procedures and disqualify himself from any decision-making process." Former permanent secretary Joseph Howard, who retired in February this year, said he was not aware of the minister's family interest when he signed the November 3 contract with Ixanos. The other state signatory to the November agreement is the Ministry's IT manager, Deosaran Bisnath.

Howard told the Sunday Express he only learnt of the minister's connection to Ixanos earlier this year, by which time it was too late to do anything about it. He said had he known Ixanos was a family-owned business of the Kings, he would not have signed the contract. And the selection of a political appointee to the evaluation team? The retired senior public servant said he did not see that as an issue.

Bisnath was not immediately available for comment. Julien declined to take the call, and Boodoo's only response was: "I have no comment right now for you." Sources with knowledge of the situation, however, said there were early flags pointing to a family connection with the line minister. The bid document, responding to the September 25, 2010 request for proposals, was signed by Stephen King, business development manager of Ixanos and the minister's son.

The company also had as its registered address: Cor Smart and Francis Streets, St Augustine, the same as the minister's private consulting firm, Mary King and Associates. Ixanos also had the same phone number as the minister's St Augustine's office.

The software company was told by official correspondence it had won the contract on November 2, 2010. However, an undated letter addressed to the legal department of the Planning Ministry and signed by Dr St Clair King, chairman of Ixanos and husband of the minister, advised of a recent board resolution which authorised Keron Gopaul to sign contracts on behalf of the company.

In the three-line advisory to the Ministry of Planning, Dr King noted: "Therefore, he (Gopaul) is authorised to sign the website development contract with your ministry." The contract was signed on November 3, 2010.

Documents obtained by the Sunday Express show Ixanos was not the lowest priced bidder and was just one mark ahead of its closest rival, Sightfactory Ltd, which bid $94,000. In a score sheet which failed to give a breakdown of marks awarded by the criteria of price, development, training and hosting, Sightfactory was ranked second, with an average score of 79.5. Ixanos edged in the winning bid with an overall average of 80.75.

Members of the bid-evaluation team gave varying marks to the 17 bidders, which included GISL, the state-owned and run Government Information Services Ltd, which scored 71.25 points, and E-volve New Media system Ltd, the third-ranked company. One company, Digita Business Ltd, was given a zero by Boodoo but scored far better with Julien, who awarded 84 marks, and Serrette, 90 marks. Bisnath gave Digita a score of 45. He gave Ixanos the highest score at 89 marks and Sightfactory, 64.

The majority interest in Ixanos is held by Caelum Holdings Ltd, also at the corner of Francis and Smart Streets in St Augustine, and Neal and Massy ICT Group Ltd. A search of the company registry shows Caelum with a shareholding of just over 1.1 million ordinary shares. Neal and Massy has just over half a million in preference shares. A search of Caelum records lists a joint controlling interest of 1,023,000 ordinary shares by St Clair and Mary King. There are seven other stakeholders in the company, all engineers.

Minister King, a former chairman of the local chapter of Transparency International insists there has been no conflict of interest or breach of the law with any aspect of the web contract awarded to her family business. She said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar had heard about it "and we gave her the whole process, all the documentation, and she is very satisfied".

Who specially provided the documents to the Prime Minister? "I give her. I collected all the records, all the documentation from the ministry, so she got all the details of the contract."

And the Prime Minister was satisfied? "Of course, because the process was very clearly independent. The Prime Minister accepted my documentation and that was the end of it."

Minister King said: "Once the process started, there was no, no, no involvement, and I would go through that process with anybody who has never done proper contracts before. I would explain and take anybody through that process."

She also made clear Regulation 16 (1) of the Central Tenders Board Act did not apply to her.

The section talks about "a public officer or the spouse or any child of such person shall not enter into any contract for the supply of articles to, or the undertaking of any works or services for the Government."

King's response to 16 (1) of the Central Tenders Board Act: "Well, I didn't provide any services."

Told her husband did, the minister said: "It isn't my husband. My husband is only the chairman of the company. That (rule) doesn't relate to companies. You can't discriminate against a registered company in the country.

What the minister has failed to acknowledge in her very technical interpretation of the CTB Act, however, is she and her husband own the controlling interest in Ixanos.

Good job again Ms Marajh, keep it up
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Re: Mary Quite Contrary
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 07:16:18 AM »
She darm right ,she living in a corntree where they make laws for the poor and  the rich live above it , i am so sorry is just 100,000 it should of been more . I wish Abu Barkar did shoot more of those Politicians when he invaded Parliament maybe those who are there now might of act differently , it is not good to hate but i hate Politicians in Trinbago with a passion is a set of greedy gutless f**kers . 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 09:13:13 PM by zuluwarrior »
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline signal

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 08:11:04 AM »
Minister King, a former chairman of the local chapter of Transparency International insists there has been no conflict of interest or breach of the law with any aspect of the web contract awarded to her family business. She said Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar had heard about it "and we gave her the whole process, all the documentation, and she is very satisfied".

:o :o :o :o
If...
chief justice ivor archie say so
ex-chief justice sharma say so
law assoc pres martin daly say so
transpareny institute say so
Ken Gordon say so
jones p say so....then is so!!!

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 10:40:26 AM »
small ting...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:55:29 PM »
LOUDDDDDDDDDDDD
STEUPSSSSSSSSSSS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 05:58:32 PM »
Kamla say de papers lie, de minute she heard of the issue she said it was inappropriate and will be doing a full investigation.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 08:55:26 PM »
Kamla say de papers lie, de minute she heard of the issue she said it was inappropriate and will be doing a full investigation.

De papers lie... or Mary King lie?  :devil:

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 10:50:40 PM »
Maybe Mary eh lie.  Maybe Kamla have anodder trip planned?

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 02:14:24 AM »
Did she inform the permanent secretary or anyone else her immediate family (husband, St Clair, and son, Stephen) was associated with the company? "No, and you know why I didn't, I thought the very fact that I am saying that —that they could be biased for or against. So I did nothing."

Stephen King!  :rotfl:

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 08:42:35 AM »
so is it 100k TT or US?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 11:45:55 AM »
Like she hit we a more evolutionary version of "Ticket it or Leave it."  ;D
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
Anil Roberts, as a candidate in the upcoming elections for the leadership of the COP, thought it prudent to call a press conference this evening to tell Mary King, resign.  He say she shaming the COP's mantra of new politics.....and he find the current COP leader too quiet on de issue....

All yuh think it sorf bout here!!....ah still eh sure having heard the goodly gentleman if to  :rotfl: :rotfl:  or   :'( :'(
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:05:40 AM »
Anil Roberts, as a candidate in the upcoming elections for the leadership of the COP, thought it prudent to call a press conference this evening to tell Mary King, resign.  He say she shaming the COP's mantra of new politics.....and he find the current COP leader too quiet on de issue....

All yuh think it sorf bout here!!....ah still eh sure having heard the goodly gentleman if to  :rotfl: :rotfl:  or   :'( :'(

Thank God is not just me. Sometimes I honestly think I living in a world of mad men or the Twilight Zone.
=================================================

RESIGN
Minister Anil Roberts says King should do the right thing now
By Ria Taitt Political Editor

Story Created: May 9, 2011 at 11:53 PM ECT

Story Updated: May 9, 2011 at 11:53 PM ECT

"Resign immediately!

Pressure is mounting for senior Government Minister Mary King to go, as yesterday her own Cabinet colleague and Congress of the People (COP) ally, Sport Minister Anil Roberts, called on her to resign "without further delay"

Roberts's call came in the face of revelations published exclusively in the Sunday Express that she participated in the invitation and evaluation process of the award of a $100,000 contract to a company, Ixanos, in which her family has an interest, a matter deemed "highly inappropriate" by Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar.

Roberts called a news conference yesterday at his Ministry's office specifically to give his views on the King controversy.

He said the COP must ensure that the highest standards of corporate governance, integrity, accountability and transparency are upheld at all times. He said King, a member of the COP, contributed to the development of COP's principles and it therefore gave him no pleasure to "call on Senator Mary King, ...to do the right thing without further delay". "And the right thing is to resign immediately," he said.

Roberts, who said he was speaking for himself as well as for his "team" of COP supporters, explained that since he had put his hat in the ring for the COP leadership, he thought it incumbent on him to speak on the issue.

"There has been a deafening silence from the leadership of my party," he said. The party's internal elections are due to be held on July 3.

King, he pointed out, had breached the COP's stated principles in three ways.

First breach: By her own admission she did not disclose at any time, her interest or her family's interest during the tender of a contract, Roberts noted. King told the Sunday Express that on the opening of tenders she became aware that a company in which her family had an interest was tendering for a contract and she chose to do say or do nothing- i.e not to disclose that fact.

Second breach: Roberts said the mere presence of King at the opening of the bid/tender documents is not a COP position. Roberts said any minister who did not know that they should not be "anywhere around" any tender process, "does not deserve to be in a position of responsibility". The third breach of "the principles of accountability and transparency", and therefore the COP's principles, was the fact that King admitted that she put her personal assistant, a political appointee on the evaluation committee "even though she (King) attempted to justify it saying that she was an engineer", Roberts said.

Asked if Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar should fire King if she fails to resign, Roberts said he would be "very perturbed and upset" if King, "who was head of Transparency International (T&T) and who wrote many columns...sees no need to resign. "I don't think any of us should put the Prime Minister in a position where she has to make a strong move to fire us. If we know we are wrong, we should do the right thing," he said.

Roberts said the COP endorsed the principle of integrity in public life as reflected in the Integrity in Public Life Act which states in (Section 29 (1)) that a conflict of interest arises where in the making of a decision there is an opportunity either directly or indirectly to further the persons' private interest or a member of his family and (Section 29 (2)) that where there is a possible or perceived conflict of interest a person should disclose his interest and disqualify himself from any decision-making process.

Stressing that the matter never came to Cabinet, Roberts said the first time he learnt about King's actions was when he read the Sunday Express exclusive.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 07:33:36 AM »
I can't see how Mary King thinks this isn't a conflict of interest. I not saying is outright bobol but King at the very least bounce she head here.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:45:53 AM »
I can't see how Mary King thinks this isn't a conflict of interest. I not saying is outright bobol but King at the very least bounce she head here.

4 somebody who wrote weekly bout d happenings in d PNM u would tink she would know betta. But dem peps in d PP blind like bat in d day and owl in d nite.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 08:18:32 AM »
Anil hustlin hard for that COP leader chair.....if is one thing ah hadda give him is he ambitious
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 08:27:47 AM »
Anil hustlin hard for that COP leader chair.....if is one thing ah hadda give him is he ambitious

ambitious my tale feathers.......that's an attempted hostile takeover that will soon be followed by an attempted merger watch d scene........anil is jack igor

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 08:32:10 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 09:00:48 AM »

ambitious my tale feathers.......that's an attempted hostile takeover that will soon be followed by an attempted merger watch d scene........anil is jack igor

YEP A MERGER IN D MAKING.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »

I reading it again
Roberts called a news conference yesterday at his Ministry's office specifically to give his views on the King controversy.

Nothing Spalk say is wrong but I wonder how the COP leadership and executive feel about him jumping out and making a statement like this.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 09:21:20 AM »

I reading it again

Nothing Spalk say is wrong but I wonder how the COP leadership and executive feel about him jumping out and making a statement like this.

what he care about dem, he want to get rid ah dem and install he frens and dem, trute be told, why de f**k he eh jes put on ah yellow juzzy?  he is UNC all de way.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:55:53 AM by Trinity Cross »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »

oh ho....dem fellahs 2 steps ahead, Spalk have Marty feldman eyes for de nex party too :D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 11:22:13 AM »
MARY SEND PACKING JUST GOT A TEXT NO DETAILS.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »
Now she garden will not grow

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 03:22:19 PM »
Now she garden will not grow

Fack de garden, she was going to plant ah money tree
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 07:00:45 PM »

BREAKING NEWS

Mary King fired!

The appointment of Government Senator and Minister of Planning, Restructuring and Gender Affairs, Mary King will be revoked by president Maxwell Richards this afternoon.

This comes following a meeting Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar held with President Richards at 11.30 a.m. today to discuss evidence that implicated King in the inappropriate awarding of a $100,000 contract to a company, Ixanos, in which King’s family has an interest.

Persad-Bissessar was quoted as saying "new evidence came to light following an investigation conducted into the matter by the Attorney General Anand Ramlogan”. She explained that her decision to remove King as both a senator and government minister was based on that new evidence.

The Prime Minister said she will formalise King's removal by sending a written request to President Richards later this afternoon.

express

Offline Socafan

• Hero Warrior
  • Sweet sweet T&T.Oh how ah luvup mi Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 08:26:23 PM »

BREAKING NEWS

Mary King fired!

The appointment of Government Senator and Minister of Planning, Restructuring and Gender Affairs, Mary King will be revoked by president Maxwell Richards this afternoon.

This comes following a meeting Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar held with President Richards at 11.30 a.m. today to discuss evidence that implicated King in the inappropriate awarding of a $100,000 contract to a company, Ixanos, in which King’s family has an interest.

Persad-Bissessar was quoted as saying "new evidence came to light following an investigation conducted into the matter by the Attorney General Anand Ramlogan”. She explained that her decision to remove King as both a senator and government minister was based on that new evidence.

The Prime Minister said she will formalise King's removal by sending a written request to President Richards later this afternoon.

express

Camini Marajh eh playing!! Yuh restoring the faith...keep it up. Get that Pulitzer!!
Two islands are better than one.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 09:37:01 PM »

BREAKING NEWS

Mary King fired!

express

Camini Marajh eh playing!! Yuh restoring the faith...keep it up. Get that Pulitzer!!
She musbe have a link in the SIA  ;D

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:00 AM »
$100K for a website? I should start looking for wuk in T&T oui.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
$100K for a website? I should start looking for wuk in T&T oui.

Long-term development and maintenance deal.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 06:10:10 AM »
Mary real chupidee...

Yuh is a owner of the firm, yuh participate in the selection process and yuh put yuh secretary on the evaluation committee...all for what....a measly 100,000.

When yuh doing bobol and ting do it for BIG MONEY...all yuh good name and work and image in transparency intl out the door. Not to mention yuh journalism column, economic papers etc.

If is a million or 10 million...dat is ting to get fired and embarrassed for not a paipsy 100,000.

BTW how the website looking? it any good...lxanos go get any future wuk for they skills?

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

1]; } ?>