June 15, 2024, 11:31:23 PM

Author Topic: Gayelle owing rent: forced to move  (Read 4235 times)

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gayelle owing rent: forced to move
« on: May 14, 2011, 06:44:32 PM »
Local TV station Gayelle the Channel has been forced to move out of its St James studios because of falling revenues.

Errol Fabien, co-founder of Gayelle the Channel yesterday told the Express rumours that the television station had $5 million in debt were untrue.
He said that although revenue was down and the station was forced to move out of its studios at Western Main Road, St James, Gayelle is still broadcasting from its temporary location at upper St Vincent Street, Port of Spain.

"We are not five million dollars in debt. That is completely untrue. Revenue is down because people have not been advertising on Gayelle and we had to move out of the building in St James. We are owing some rent and left equipment with the landlord until we can settle."

"We would not be in this situation if we showed foreign content or if we advertised alcoholic products. People are not willing to advertise on a station showing only local content. We had to shrink the company and are starting from scratch, but if you tune in you will see that we are still running programming and we are still training young people," Fabien said.

"When you buy foreign content it costs about US$500 per half an hour. That is money leaving the country. Advertising and investing in local content means the money remains here giving the consumers more buying power, which benefits local business. The shows we produce may not be the high quality of Hollywood, but they are all relevant to us. In the past seven years we have produced more local programming than anyone else," Fabien said.

Fabien said the Government should provide incentives for television and radio stations that offer fully local content.

"It is easy to just buy foreign content and advertise alcohol to see the station make it, but we are not going to sell out or give up and stop. It is hard, but it will never end even it comes down to only me here," Fabien said.
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Gayelle owing rent: forced to move
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 06:52:36 PM »
Fabien said the Government should provide incentives for television and radio stations that offer fully local content.

"It is easy to just buy foreign content and advertise alcohol to see the station make it, but we are not going to sell out or give up and stop. It is hard, but it will never end even it comes down to only me here," Fabien said.

Agreed... the equivalent of "Ministry of Social Development" or whatever it's called should contribute, as well as "Youth and Culture"... whatever their names are.  Gayelle does a lot of work that would fall within their portfolio.  Throw in some tax breaks as well.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:03:05 PM »
Double Agreed... Gayelle is ah National Treasure...we need to preserve this station....They should be given there own building and be a nationalized station getting funding to continue producing local programming under the Ministry of Culture.
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:54:50 PM »
I remember when Anil was Jack mouth piece and I complain to to Errol I said I will stop watching Gayelle because of Anil. He told me to go ahead well I forwarded his email to my entire address book.

So I guess lots of people took my advice. So quoting BM it good 4 he. Anil cyah get him a lil govt subvention.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:41:50 PM »
I remember when Anil was Jack mouth piece and I complain to to Errol I said I will stop watching Gayelle because of Anil. He told me to go ahead well I forwarded his email to my entire address book.

So I guess lots of people took my advice. So quoting BM it good 4 he. Anil cyah get him a lil govt subvention.

How yuh mean "it good 4 he"... juss because he didn't give in to pressure and censor Anil??  The man was right, otherwise he'd have no journalistic integrity.  We shouldn't pressure the opposing voices into silence, we should try and make sure that there's enough programming to balance it out.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 01:41:17 AM »
Dey shoulda signup Crimewatch,

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 07:10:37 AM »

How yuh mean "it good 4 he"... juss because he didn't give in to pressure and censor Anil??  The man was right, otherwise he'd have no journalistic integrity.  We shouldn't pressure the opposing voices into silence, we should try and make sure that there's enough programming to balance it out.

Censorship is one thing. But making a public ass out of yourself by defending a man who openly flouts the rules dminishes your credibility and the that of the station that allows you to make a fool out of yourself.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 10:02:51 AM »
Censorship is one thing. But making a public ass out of yourself by defending a man who openly flouts the rules dminishes your credibility and the that of the station that allows you to make a fool out of yourself.

VB

What "rules" was Anil openly flouting?  The man is an opinion commentator... whatever opinion he holds is his business, as long as he not promoting criminality or immorality.  People don't have to listen to him and Fabien is right... how did he defend Anil or make a "public ass" of himself... ah sure yuh can't say.  Is one thing to boycott Anil show, is another thing to boycott all Gayelle programming and then talk about "it good 4 he" when society as a whole is who benefitting from Gayelle programming.  Classic case of cutting off we nose in order to spite we face.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »

VB

What "rules" was Anil openly flouting?  The man is an opinion commentator... whatever opinion he holds is his business, as long as he not promoting criminality or immorality.  People don't have to listen to him and Fabien is right... how did he defend Anil or make a "public ass" of himself... ah sure yuh can't say.  Is one thing to boycott Anil show, is another thing to boycott all Gayelle programming and then talk about "it good 4 he" when society as a whole is who benefitting from Gayelle programming.  Classic case of cutting off we nose in order to spite we face.

Anil didn't flout any rules, Jack did and Anil made a U turn on his principles and JW after the Bahrain trip and became Jack's bitch - all this live on national TV. And that fu*&^& expects to be taken seriously.

VB

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 01:40:30 PM »

VB

Anil didn't flout any rules, Jack did and Anil made a U turn on his principles and JW after the Bahrain trip and became Jack's bitch - all this live on national TV. And that fu*&^& expects to be taken seriously.

VB

What does any of this have to do with Errol Fabien???

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »

VB

VB

What does any of this have to do with Errol Fabien???

The difference between censorship and making an ass out of yourself by defending a man who contradicts himself on live TV. Basically - my original point.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 02:09:58 PM »
The difference between censorship and making an ass out of yourself by defending a man who contradicts himself on live TV. Basically - my original point.

So since you insist on repeating yourself by saying nothing... I'll ask again, how did Fabien:

a) Make an ass out of himself?

b) Defend Anil?

I'll add another one, for extra credit

c) What was he supposed to do in response to Weary's complaint... or in general, as you see it.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 07:53:25 PM »
Imagine tellin a viewer doh watch d height of STUPIDITYYYYYYYYYY.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 09:59:23 PM »
Sad but Errol needs to understand that this is a business first and foremost. As much as I want to see the promotion of local culture, what gayelle tries too pass off as local programming is really poor. Maybe if they raised their standards and the programming became more relevant then things will turn around financially. Gayelle is not an attractive place to advertise at the moment sad to say...!!!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 04:38:48 AM »

So since you insist on repeating yourself by saying nothing... I'll ask again, how did Fabien:

b) Defend Anil?

c) What was he supposed to do in response to Weary's complaint... or in general, as you see it.

You eider pretending to be dotish or you not pretending.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2011, 04:40:47 AM »
Sad but Errol needs to understand that this is a business first and foremost. As much as I want to see the promotion of local culture, what gayelle tries too pass off as local programming is really poor. Maybe if they raised their standards and the programming became more relevant then things will turn around financially. Gayelle is not an attractive place to advertise at the moment sad to say...!!!

I admire his philosophy of wanting to promote only local. But  as Gayelle ketching dey ass, he could look at it this way. By allowing foreign products to advertise, they sell and keep people in jobs.

He can then use that advert. money to further Gayelle's local content goals.

VB

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 04:45:24 AM »
Exactly cause clearly his business model isn't working. He needs to rethink his approach. Some of gayelle program is local but that's all they are. They aren't informative or relevant alot of the time and sometimes even plain boring.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2011, 05:03:41 AM »
Exactly cause clearly his business model isn't working. He needs to rethink his approach. Some of gayelle program is local but that's all they are. They aren't informative or relevant alot of the time and sometimes even plain boring.

Must admit that the only Gayelle program I watched religiously was SPALK and the moment Anil started licking Jack ass, I switch off.

I don't want to criticize the rest of the proramming because I stopped watching years ago.

VB

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 05:22:20 AM »

b) Defend Anil?

You eider pretending to be dotish or you not pretending.

If if makes you feel better to think that I am dotish then let's go with that.  Now try and answer the questions, thanks.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 11:03:17 AM »

Must admit that the only Gayelle program I watched religiously was SPALK and the moment Anil started licking Jack ass, I switch off.

VB

CO-SIGNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 07:19:52 AM »
just an update...as a result of the failing business Gayelle changed management/ownership since late last year however it was a little too late in some aspects hence they having to vacate offices...it's still a struggle but they are still on air...there have been offers to buy them out but that might mean selling out their identity to that of some of the other more popular local entertainment networks...but there's hope...so fingers crossed...
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 07:56:58 AM »
just an update...as a result of the failing business Gayelle changed management/ownership since late last year however it was a little too late in some aspects hence they having to vacate offices...it's still a struggle but they are still on air...there have been offers to buy them out but that might mean selling out their identity to that of some of the other more popular local entertainment networks...but there's hope...so fingers crossed...

So what is Errol's role?

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 04:29:19 AM »
In de Gayelle
Paolo Kernahan

Surprisingly, the media has caught up with the desperate straits in which Gayelle The Channel has found itself. The news article opened with the ominous line, “Financial woes have forced the management of Gayelle the Channel to downsize…again.”  The actual truth is that, since the disbanding of the Gayelle news department, the company has been quietly and steadily haemorrhaging staff. Within recent times, the station has gone from slow but progressive cancer strenuously resisting all treatments to accelerated metastasis with a most grim prognosis.  Approached for comment, Gayelle’s Errol Fabien appeared to blame both an apathetic business community and viewing public. He cited ever-declining revenues for the quagmire from which the last bastion of local content seems unable to extricate itself.

I have only the greatest respect for Errol Fabien and Christopher Laird. I was given opportunities at that station that I would never have been offered elsewhere and I am sure there are a great many citizens who can say the same. I do believe, however, that Uncle Errol does the local television industry (such that it is) the greatest disservice by boiling it down to advertiser apathy.  I spent four years at the station before I was jettisoned along with the rest of the newsroom as the company’s fortunes began to wane. While I was never given an opportunity to look at the books, there was a distinct impression that, in its inception, Gayelle was beating advertisers off with a stick. It may very well be that businesses were attracted to the lower-than-usual rates on offer. But there was an almost palpable anticipation of what this experiment would yield.

Companies would send food and drink in an almost endless supply knowing that the presenters, who complained ceaselessly about being “rell hongry,” would gleefully oblige and gobble up their products on air, profusely thanking their benefactors even as the crumbs cascaded from their greasy lips. It is difficult to say though just how much of that orgy of product placement was followed by actual payment for advertising spots on the station. However, it is important to understand Gayelle’s philosophical underpinnings.  At the outset, the channel would rely principally on live programming as opposed to “canned” or pre-recorded and edited features or series.

These were deemed simply too costly and resource intensive. Hence the extensive roster of talk shows from the crea- tively titled Cock-a-Doodle Do (which could just have easily been called “hey get up, iz six o’clock) to the confused and largely pointless Doubles featuring a married couple which eventually imploded on air when the normally mild-mannered duo went Al-Qaeda one morning over the show’s cancellation. Then there was Macajuel Time with the departed Jason Daly. This show, as did all the others, suffered from a deficit of guests. Ultimately, what you would have for days on end is Jason sitting down on his carpeted box taking phone calls with conversations along the lines of “Hello?” … “Yes caller, you are on Gayelle The Channel, how are you today m’dear?” … “Hello! Oh gosh take de baby outside nah, ah talking wit Gayelle heeear! Hello!...” … “Yes we are hearing you caller, go ahead!” … “Yes how yuh going!” … “Well I am blessed and highly flavoured (tee hee hee). I jess rell hongry! Whot you cook today?” And so on.

With a minimum of four live daily shows, how on earth did they expect to supply fresh guests for each one every day, and at odd hours of the day no less! Most of those shows eventually went extinct as was easily predictable with either co-hosts openly warring with each other on live television or the viewer tuning in to find the show gone. Yet management saw nothing wrong with what most would consider an extremely unprofessional environment. Gayelle the Channel was something new on the landscape and they were go-ing to do it their way. It did not matter if a programme started half an hour late or at all for that matter. I recall receiving complaints in the newsroom from viewers that the 10 pm repeat of the newscast had been replaced by some bizarre black and white film. I was subsequently told by the management, “Oh yes, that was our movie night so we cancelled the repeat.”

Indeed, at times it seemed that Gayelle revelled in this comical atmosphere of free-spirited abandon and laissez-faire ethos. One member of the newsroom told me when I called her to ask if she was coming to work, “I takin’ my day today cos I have rell laundry to do. The company say whenever we need time fuh weself jess take it.” That was when I realised that Gayelle was a losing proposition. Now, Gayelle had built up roughly four years of goodwill with advertisers but, when it became clear that the station had no intention of improving its product, eventually this interest began to dissipate. For Errol to say they did not have money to do “Hollywood programming” is skirting the issue. Dreevay is one example of a programme with vast potential; for the most part the quality was quite good.

Very soon, however, what was meant to be a travel programme went quickly off the rails, vacillating between outdoor locations and insipid in-studio skits in which, for some strange reason, all of the men were usually draped in gauche feather boas and sporting exaggerated eyelashes. That was my circuitous route to address the suggestion made by Errol that viewers have a preference for foreign fare. This was, perhaps, the most unfortunate statement of all, particularly for the legion of Gayelle fans out there. It is precisely because the average viewer has been fed a steady diet of imported programming that all local producers have a responsibility to up the ante. There was a time when TTT would hit you with a three-hour Indian flick and you could either watch it or go mow the lawn; those days are long gone.
Viewers have a smorgasbord of options today and they will not tolerate substandard local television shows merely to fly the local content flag.

I have read comments about the quality of equipment that Gayelle had at its disposal. Well, as any good film maker or television producer will tell you, the most important resource is technical skill and creative drive. Advances in technology have levelled the playing field to the extent that even the most modest of budgets can produce wonderful work. Viewers though ought not to expect a product along the lines of Planet Earth or Dancing with the Stars because the budget for those productions probably represents the marketing budgets of all companies in Trinidad combined for two years (perhaps more). It is unlikely that Gayelle will survive this latest challenge; it has been a long and bruising descent. In my opinion the brand still has tremendous value. Whether anyone would be willing to make a major investment to revive the station is the million dollar question (and it will certainly require much more than a million dollars). To Errol I am afraid I must say, “The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our stars…but in de Gayelle!”

http://guardian.co.tt/columnist/2011/05/27/de-gayelle
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 09:05:34 AM »
In de Gayelle
Paolo Kernahan

Surprisingly, the media has caught up with the desperate straits in which Gayelle The Channel has found itself. The news article opened with the ominous line, “Financial woes have forced the management of Gayelle the Channel to downsize…again.”  The actual truth is that, since the disbanding of the Gayelle news department, the company has been quietly and steadily haemorrhaging staff. Within recent times, the station has gone from slow but progressive cancer strenuously resisting all treatments to accelerated metastasis with a most grim prognosis.  Approached for comment, Gayelle’s Errol Fabien appeared to blame both an apathetic business community and viewing public. He cited ever-declining revenues for the quagmire from which the last bastion of local content seems unable to extricate itself.

I have only the greatest respect for Errol Fabien and Christopher Laird. I was given opportunities at that station that I would never have been offered elsewhere and I am sure there are a great many citizens who can say the same. I do believe, however, that Uncle Errol does the local television industry (such that it is) the greatest disservice by boiling it down to advertiser apathy.  I spent four years at the station before I was jettisoned along with the rest of the newsroom as the company’s fortunes began to wane. While I was never given an opportunity to look at the books, there was a distinct impression that, in its inception, Gayelle was beating advertisers off with a stick. It may very well be that businesses were attracted to the lower-than-usual rates on offer. But there was an almost palpable anticipation of what this experiment would yield.

Companies would send food and drink in an almost endless supply knowing that the presenters, who complained ceaselessly about being “rell hongry,” would gleefully oblige and gobble up their products on air, profusely thanking their benefactors even as the crumbs cascaded from their greasy lips. It is difficult to say though just how much of that orgy of product placement was followed by actual payment for advertising spots on the station. However, it is important to understand Gayelle’s philosophical underpinnings.  At the outset, the channel would rely principally on live programming as opposed to “canned” or pre-recorded and edited features or series.

These were deemed simply too costly and resource intensive. Hence the extensive roster of talk shows from the crea- tively titled Cock-a-Doodle Do (which could just have easily been called “hey get up, iz six o’clock) to the confused and largely pointless Doubles featuring a married couple which eventually imploded on air when the normally mild-mannered duo went Al-Qaeda one morning over the show’s cancellation. Then there was Macajuel Time with the departed Jason Daly. This show, as did all the others, suffered from a deficit of guests. Ultimately, what you would have for days on end is Jason sitting down on his carpeted box taking phone calls with conversations along the lines of “Hello?” … “Yes caller, you are on Gayelle The Channel, how are you today m’dear?” … “Hello! Oh gosh take de baby outside nah, ah talking wit Gayelle heeear! Hello!...” … “Yes we are hearing you caller, go ahead!” … “Yes how yuh going!” … “Well I am blessed and highly flavoured (tee hee hee). I jess rell hongry! Whot you cook today?” And so on.

With a minimum of four live daily shows, how on earth did they expect to supply fresh guests for each one every day, and at odd hours of the day no less! Most of those shows eventually went extinct as was easily predictable with either co-hosts openly warring with each other on live television or the viewer tuning in to find the show gone. Yet management saw nothing wrong with what most would consider an extremely unprofessional environment. Gayelle the Channel was something new on the landscape and they were go-ing to do it their way. It did not matter if a programme started half an hour late or at all for that matter. I recall receiving complaints in the newsroom from viewers that the 10 pm repeat of the newscast had been replaced by some bizarre black and white film. I was subsequently told by the management, “Oh yes, that was our movie night so we cancelled the repeat.”

Indeed, at times it seemed that Gayelle revelled in this comical atmosphere of free-spirited abandon and laissez-faire ethos. One member of the newsroom told me when I called her to ask if she was coming to work, “I takin’ my day today cos I have rell laundry to do. The company say whenever we need time fuh weself jess take it.” That was when I realised that Gayelle was a losing proposition. Now, Gayelle had built up roughly four years of goodwill with advertisers but, when it became clear that the station had no intention of improving its product, eventually this interest began to dissipate. For Errol to say they did not have money to do “Hollywood programming” is skirting the issue. Dreevay is one example of a programme with vast potential; for the most part the quality was quite good.

Very soon, however, what was meant to be a travel programme went quickly off the rails, vacillating between outdoor locations and insipid in-studio skits in which, for some strange reason, all of the men were usually draped in gauche feather boas and sporting exaggerated eyelashes. That was my circuitous route to address the suggestion made by Errol that viewers have a preference for foreign fare. This was, perhaps, the most unfortunate statement of all, particularly for the legion of Gayelle fans out there. It is precisely because the average viewer has been fed a steady diet of imported programming that all local producers have a responsibility to up the ante. There was a time when TTT would hit you with a three-hour Indian flick and you could either watch it or go mow the lawn; those days are long gone.
Viewers have a smorgasbord of options today and they will not tolerate substandard local television shows merely to fly the local content flag.

I have read comments about the quality of equipment that Gayelle had at its disposal. Well, as any good film maker or television producer will tell you, the most important resource is technical skill and creative drive. Advances in technology have levelled the playing field to the extent that even the most modest of budgets can produce wonderful work. Viewers though ought not to expect a product along the lines of Planet Earth or Dancing with the Stars because the budget for those productions probably represents the marketing budgets of all companies in Trinidad combined for two years (perhaps more). It is unlikely that Gayelle will survive this latest challenge; it has been a long and bruising descent. In my opinion the brand still has tremendous value. Whether anyone would be willing to make a major investment to revive the station is the million dollar question (and it will certainly require much more than a million dollars). To Errol I am afraid I must say, “The fault, dear Brutus, lies not in our stars…but in de Gayelle!”

http://guardian.co.tt/columnist/2011/05/27/de-gayelle

:beermug: ah now see this. He hit d nail on d head. D unprofessionalism is d trademark of that station.

1]; } ?>