April 16, 2024, 06:27:38 AM

Author Topic: A wing but no prayer for right-back Edwards  (Read 925 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
A wing but no prayer for right-back Edwards
« on: September 18, 2011, 08:14:15 AM »
A wing but no prayer for right-back Edwards
By Dave Gooderham (Green'Un24)

Carlos Edwards has got an itch.

But it is one that he is unlikely to scratch in the short-term after Paul Jewell seemingly extinguished his hopes of moving back up the pitch.

Ipswich’s troublesome right midfield spot, which saw skipper Grant Leadbitter try his hand at Blackpool last week, has seen many Town fans identify Edwards as the solution.

And while he might not completely admit it, the man himself seems to think he has some unfinished business when it comes to playing on the right wing.

Edwards said: “I’m itching (to play there), but at the same time I am enjoying playing right back.

“Since the gaffer has come in, I have played midfield once – against Millwall in his first game in charge. Only the gaffer will know his plans and what he wants to do and how he goes about it. You never know, come Monday I might get the nod.”

That was Edwards speaking on Wednesday night, but Jewell quickly dampened down his hopes just 36 hours later during the pre-Coventry City press conference.

The Town boss said: “Fans are entitled to their opinions and they have been fantastic but I see players day-in, day-out and I think he is our best option at right back.”

Regardless of his position, Edwards believes he has finally hit match sharpness after admitting he struggled through pre-season.

“I feel good now. For some reason, I think maybe I was a little too relaxed before pre-season - even the manager said that to me,” he added.

“I was just not getting a good vibe. I’m not going to make any excuses – I should have got off my rear a bit earlier and starting doing things before pre-season.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: A wing but no prayer for right-back Edwards
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 07:25:35 PM »
So why we have the man playing at left back? If he [layed at right back for T&T we would stabilize that position forthe entire campaign.  I hope we get Jloyd to hold down the left back spot with a young guy like Joevin Jones being groomed for that position.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Carlos looking for TV response
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:15:38 AM »
Carlos looking for TV response
itfc.co.uk

Carlos Edwards believes it is time that Town make Portman Road a fortress and create a winning mentality within the team.

The right-back is expecting a tough game against Coventry tonight but believes that Town can get their season up and running with a victory over Andy Thorn's men.

Carlos also believes that the Blues can finally put the Peterborough nightmare to bed with a strong performance against the Sky Blues in front of the TV cameras.

"We don't want to be drawing too many games, especially at home and we need to go out there, roll our sleeves up and give the fans something to cheer about," the Trinidad and Tobago international told the Club website.

"It's a chance for us to go out and put the things right that we didn't do the last time we were on Sky.

"It's going to be a tough game because Coventry are in a similar situation to ourselves and we are not going to underestimate them.

"There are plenty of tough games still to go in this season. It is still early days and I think at the minute everybody is just concentrating on tonight and getting the three points."

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>