April 28, 2024, 11:56:17 AM

Author Topic: Stephen Hawking says afterlife is a fairy story By Liz G  (Read 2434 times)

truetrini

Stephen Hawking says afterlife is a fairy story By Liz G
« on: May 16, 2011, 01:01:18 PM »
Mon May 16, 11:07 am ET
Stephen Hawking says afterlife is a fairy story
By Liz Goodwin

Email
Print

Renowned physicist Stephen Hawking recently explained his belief that there is no God and that humans should therefore seek to live the most valuable lives they can while on Earth.
Guardian writer Ian Sample asked Hawking if he feared death in a story published yesterday. This was his response:
I have lived with the prospect of an early death for the last 49 years. I'm not afraid of death, but I'm in no hurry to die. I have so much I want to do first. I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark.

Hawking's 1988 book  "A Brief History of Time" sold 9 million copies, and in it Hawking referenced God metaphorically as the force that could fully explain the creation of the universe.

But in 2010, Hawking told Diane Sawyer that "science will win" in a battle with religion "because it works."
"What could define God [is a conception of divinity] as the embodiment of the laws of nature. However, this is not what most people would think of that God," Hawking told Sawyer. "They made a human-like being with whom one can have a personal relationship. When you look at the vast size of the universe and how insignificant an accidental human life is in it, that seems most impossible."

Hawking's latest book, "The Grand Design," challenged Isaac Newton's theory that the solar system could not have been created without God. "Because there is a law such as gravity, the Universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the Universe exists, why we exist. It is not necessary to invoke God to ... set the Universe going," he writes.

Hawking was diagnosed with the degenerative Lou Gehrig's disease at the age of 21. He lost his power of speech and for decades has talked through an electronic speech synthesizer. The device has allowed him to continue his research and attain a top Cambridge research post, which was previously held by Newton. His most famous theory explains how black holes emit radiation, according to The Guardian.
So if everyone is destined to power-down like computers at the end of their lives, what should humans do to lend meaning to their experience?

"We should seek the greatest value of our action," Hawking told the paper.
(Hawking in China in 2006: Elizabeth Dalziel/AP)

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Stephen Hawking says afterlife is a fairy story By Liz G
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:06:06 PM »
What he know?   ::)   
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »
did he publish the proof?
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 01:14:50 PM »

:devil:  That's a good one.
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Ray Agostini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 11:54:51 PM »
An interview with the (former) world's most famous atheist:

Atheist Becomes Theist: Exclusive Interview with Former Atheist Antony Flew

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 03:39:16 AM »
Psalm 146:
3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

5 Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:

6 Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever...

Feel free to dissect and criticize but the message is clear. Although his knowledge is extensive he is still a mortal human being as you and I and his views are just as much prone to error.  ;)

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 06:53:05 AM »

Can you?

truetrini

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 06:57:48 AM »
Psalm 146:
3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.

4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

5 Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the LORD his God:

6 Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever...

Feel free to dissect and criticize but the message is clear. Although his knowledge is extensive he is still a mortal human being as you and I and his views are just as much prone to error.  ;)

And you have encountered anything other than mortal human beings in your life?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:07:46 AM »

Can you?

No, I just wanted to know if he found proof. Or is is claim based on his own personal beliefs ... hmm .. what dey does call that .. Oh yeah ... FAITH.

So his faith is just the other side of the same coin.

Read my signature

I have faith in the existence of God, he has faith in no God.  Cool.

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 10:17:37 AM »

Can you?

No, I just wanted to know if he found proof. Or is is claim based on his own personal beliefs ... hmm .. what dey does call that .. Oh yeah ... FAITH.

Read my signature

He is a scientist and there is no scientific basis for a god or God...

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 07:55:30 PM »

Can you?

Read my signature

so maybe he should stick to science and leave God to the theologians ... but if he wants to use science to debunk God, then he better have scientific proof.

Yuh can't suck and blow at the same time .. but then again, I once knew this girl from Biche ...

truetrini

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 10:30:14 PM »

Can you?

Read my signature

so maybe he should stick to science and leave God to the theologians ... but if he wants to use science to debunk God, then he better have scientific proof.

Yuh can't suck and blow at the same time .. but then again, I once knew this girl from Biche ...

I bet you she was a christian.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 06:40:02 AM »

Can you?

Read my signature

nah ... a born again atheist ..

truetrini

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 08:16:24 AM »

Can you?

Read my signature

nah yuh damn lie, no self respecting atheist girl go fall for ah man who believe in unicorns.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 11:50:52 AM »

Can you?

Read my signature

nah yuh damn lie, no self respecting atheist girl go fall for ah man who believe in unicorns.

perhaps she was not a self respecting atheist. Hmmmm .. what does a self respecting atheist look like?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 12:40:16 PM »
19 May 2011 Last updated at 04:13 ET

Protein flaws responsible for complex life, study says

By Jason Palmer Science and technology reporter, BBC News

Tiny structural errors in proteins may have been responsible for changes that sparked complex life, researchers say.

A comparison of proteins across 36 modern species suggests that protein flaws called "dehydrons" may have made proteins less stable in water.

This would have made them more adhesive and more likely to end up working together, building up complex function.

The Nature study adds weight to the idea that natural selection is not the only means by which complexity rises.

Natural selection is a theory with no equal in terms of its power to explain how organisms and populations survive through the ages; random mutations that are helpful to an organism are maintained while harmful ones are bred out.

But the study provides evidence that the "adaptive" nature of the changes it wreaks may not be the only way that complexity grew.

Single-celled life gave rise to more complex organisms, and with them came ever-more complicated networks of gene and protein interactions.

Michael Lynch, an evolutionary theorist at Indiana University, teamed up with Ariel Fernandez of the University of Chicago, both in the US, to look specifically at protein structure.

They considered 106 proteins shared among 36 modern-day organisms of widely varying complexity, from single-celled protozoa up to humans.

The pair were studying "dehydrons" - regions of proteins that make them more unstable in watery environments.

These dehydrons - first discovered by Dr Fernandez - make the proteins more sticky in water, thereby raising the probability that they will adhere to other such proteins.

The analysis showed that organisms with smaller populations - such as humans - had accumulated more of these defects than simpler organisms with vastly higher population numbers.

The suggestion is that it is the acquisition of these defects, with sticky proteins more likely to work together in ever-more complex protein-protein interactions, that nudged cellular complexity upward.

"We've tried to bridge the gap between protein structure and evolution and believe we've uncovered evidence that proteins develop mild defects in organisms with smaller population sizes, over the great divide from bacteria to unicellular eukaryotes to invertebrates up to us vertebrates," said Professor Lynch.

These slight defects may decrease protein function even as they increase protein cooperation.

The authors suggest then that other adaptations occur that "undo" the deleterious effects of the sticky proteins.

For example, the protein haemoglobin that carries oxygen in our blood, is made of four identical subunits, each with a range of dehydron flaws; simpler organisms have globin molecules that accomplish the same job with just one subunit.

But the overlap of the four subunits actually masks the flaws in each one.

The authors stress that they are not arguing against natural selection as a process; they say rather that it can be aided by "non-adaptive" mechanisms.

"There's been this general feeling that complexity is a good thing and evolves for complexity's sake - that it's adaptive," Professor Lynch told BBC News.

"We've opened up the idea that the roots of complexity don't have to reside in purely adaptational arguments.

"It's opening up a new evolutionary pathway that didn't exist before."

Ford Doolittle of Dalhousie University agrees that this mechanism, separate from Darwin's vision of natural selection, is an important consideration.

"Darwinists are a little bit like the pre-Darwinists before them, who would have marveled at the perfection of God's creation," he told BBC News.

"We tend to marvel at the Darwinian perfection of organisms now, saying 'this must have been highly selected for, it's a tuned and sophisticated machine'.

"In fact, it's a mess - there's so much unnecessary complexity."

While he called the Nature study "important and interesting", he disagrees with the mechanism that allows organisms to recover from the protein flaws.

He has long argued for a "presuppression" mechanism, in which some organisms may have a way to overcome the limited functionality of the slightly damaged proteins, and those that do survive best.

"He's putting the cart before the horse," Professor Doolittle said of Professor Lynch's idea that subsequent mutations solve the problems raised by the protein changes.

"But we both agree that much of complexity does not have an adaptive explanation."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13445951

Offline Ray Agostini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »

Surely you make this statement in jest?

Stephen Hawking:

"It is difficult to discuss the beginning of the universe without mentioning the concept of God. My work on the origin of the universe is on the borderline between science and religion, but I try to stay on the scientific side of the border. It is quite possible that God acts in ways that cannot be described by scientific laws, but in that case, one would just have to go by personal belief."

Stephen Hawking, the Big Bang, and God.

Even Richard Dawkins can't say with 100% certainty that "God doesn't exist".

God vs. Science - A debate between Richard Dawkins and Francis Collins

DAWKINS: My mind is not closed, as you have occasionally suggested, Francis. My mind is open to the most wonderful range of future possibilities, which I cannot even dream about, nor can you, nor can anybody else. What I am skeptical about is the idea that whatever wonderful revelation does come in the science of the future, it will turn out to be one of the particular historical religions that people happen to have dreamed up. When we started out and we were talking about the origins of the universe and the physical constants, I provided what I thought were cogent arguments against a supernatural intelligent designer. But it does seem to me to be a worthy idea. Refutable--but nevertheless grand and big enough to be worthy of respect. I don't see the Olympian gods or Jesus coming down and dying on the Cross as worthy of that grandeur. They strike me as parochial. If there is a God, it's going to be a whole lot bigger and a whole lot more incomprehensible than anything that any theologian of any religion has ever proposed.

Emphasis mine.

"If there is a God"???

truetrini

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 08:41:56 AM »
yeah I dont even know why he asked IF when there is NONE!

1]; } ?>